View Poll Results: How much did you enjoy this story line?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll

1 25.00%
  • **** 1/2

2 50.00%

0 0%
  • *** 1/2

0 0%

1 25.00%
  • ** 1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Captain America #18-21 "Twenty-First Century Blitz" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Captain America #18

WRITER: ED BRUBAKER
    PENCILS: STEVE EPTING

THE STORY:
    It was Wizard’s book of the year for 2005, and now, fan-favorite artist Steve Epting rejoins Top Ten writer Ed Brubaker for a groundbreaking 4 part tale! It’s the start of an action-packed thriller in London, as Captain America travels across the Atlantic in search of his old partner, a story that will see him fighting side-by-side with some very old friends. But Cap and the Winter Soldier aren’t the only ones taking the journey abroad, Crossbones and Sin are on a path of revenge that’s leading them in the exact same direction... And what of General Lukin and his “relationship” with the Red Skull? All this and more in the first chapter of “Twenty-First Century Blitz!”

Comments? What are you thoughts?

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I figured there were enough Cap/Brubaker fans here that it was time to start up a new talkback thread for the latest story arc in Captain America.

The last time I discussed this title, it was to praise the book as well heap some scorn onto it. I basically was disatisfied with how Brubaker was handling the ongoing Bucky arc: instead of killing the ressurected Bucky off, he's apparently back for good, as a reaccuring villian/hero. Even worse, apparently the Red Skull is back, and living inside General Lukin's head. What this unfortunately does is keep the status quo in place: Instead of focusing on new villians, (like Lukin by himself) we're getting the same old villians, (I'm pretty certain that the Red Skull is going to eventually take over Lukin's body). Also, I fear the story is settling into a familiar pattern of reaccuring plotline: Lukin/Skull causes trouble, Captain America tries to thwart Lukin, Bucky pops up long enough to aid, (or fight against) Cap, then disappears.

Now, having said all that, I would like to say that even though I know the pattern this comic book is settling into, (or at least I think I do...I hope to be proven wrong though), this storyline is still intriguing. Brubaker's thrown in some unexpected wildcards in the form of Sin and Crossbones, and they make everything all the more intriguing...because for all of Lukin/Skull's carefully laid plans, and for all of Cap. America's heroic efforts, I get the feeling that Sin and Crossbones are going to mess it all up completely for both sides. And then there's Bucky, who I'm still waiting to see what Brubaker does with in the long run...

Also, I like the new villians introduced at the end: "The Master Race"!! With all of Marvel's various Nazi villians, somebody should've thought of that one sooner...

randomguy is offline Came, liked Ike, and left.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Your criticisms are definitely valid. It's kind of a kooky dynamic- now that Brubaker has actually managed the Herculean feat of bringing Bucky back and having it be a good story, there's a real sense of "what now?". It's rather difficult to figure out where to go with the character next.

Personally, I like the Lukin/Skull dynamic and am hoping Brubaker doesn't go the obvious route with it, so the jury's still out on that one. And the Sharon Carter stuff also keeps me interested- I'm curious where her and Cap's relationship goes from here. That said, there's a definite pattern to the stories. Still, with supposedly major changes coming up as a result of Civil War things probably won't stagnate too long.

Anyhow, dug this first issue, even if it's mainly setup. I particularly liked the Sin and Crossbones stuff (gotta admit, they're fun scenery-chewing villains). I also liked the dynamic between Cap and Union Jack, and I'm curious about what Lukin/Red Skull were doing in Latveria. And the Master Race is a corny but good idea, and yet more evidence that Brubaker does a great job balancing the real-world stuff with the more fantastical and fun elements of the Marvel Universe.
    "So pray for peace until you're hoarse, and maybe fear will run its course.
    May God forgive us our insanity, and we'll keep pressing on."
    -Rodney Crowell, "We Can't Turn Back" (randomguy's song sig. #68)
    randomguy has ridden off into the TZ sunset. Details here. Follow his daily non-adventures at his MySpace blog.
    Texas 4000: randomguy and 42 other UT students bike to Alaska for cancer research. More info at link. View my rider's journal here.

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed this. I still think this is one of the best books on the rack, and it's great to have a talkback for it!

As randomguy said, it was mainly set up but it was well done and the stuff with The Red Skull was intriguing. Between this and Daredevil, Brubaker is one of the very best writers in comics.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just out today:

Captain America #19

THE STORY:
    The startling new Cap arc, “Twenty-First Century BLITZ” continues its roller coaster ride through the streets of swinging London, as the acclaimed creative team of Brubaker and Epting turn the action way up!
    Cap and Union Jack have stumbled onto a new enemy that turns out to be tougher than expected, while Spitfire tries to find out what the Kronas Corp. is constructing under the city... and while all this goes on, the Winter Soldier stalks his prey!

Comments? What are your thoughts?!?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Another solid issue, though it doesn't feel like that much occured...but that's probably because we're in the middle act of the story. Captain America and Union Jack dance with the Master Race, Bucky continues his slinking around, Union Jack worries about Cap stealing his 'girlfriend', the Red Skull schemes, and Crossbones and Sin are apparently on the scene, (judging by the carnage at that warehouse at the end of the issue). It's all setting up for the ending of this tale, and while the issue does have some nice dialogue, (especially the conversation between Sharon and Union Jack), this issue still seems like it went by rather fast...

Glorious artwork by Steve Epting though, as always.

Perhaps more of interest is the reaccuring debate in the letter's page of this comic. The "Freedom of Speech" letters page is one of the better letter's pages out the right now, (it helps that the letters are answered by Brubaker himself), and right now, the topic of controversy seems to be the recent Issue #15. I felt that that issue was one of the best of the series to date, but apparently some people wrote in to protest it as being gratuitous violence against women, (the scenes featuring Crossbones torturing Synthia). I saw it for what it was: a horror story of a young woman unable to escape her heritage, but apparently others feel differently. Anybody else reading this comic paying attention to the debate in the letter's page? It's almost like some people fear that seeing the torture of women in a comic book will lead to the reader going out and torturing women...

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The new issue of one of the very best books on the rack comes out today!

The Story: As the “Twenty-First Century Blitz” rips through the streets of London, Cap comes face-to-face with an enemy he last faced in World War Two. And with Union Jack and Spitfire at his side, he fights to save London from destruction, while the Red Skull makes his move!

Comments?
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I was rather let down by this issue: there's a disproportion between what the characters in the story know and what we the reader know, and that never makes for a good storyline. What does a giant robot have to do with the Red Skull/General Lukin's plan for London?!? What is Bucky talking about in the scene where he's snooping around in the tunnels beneath London when he says, "Damn him to Hell!!" And the way Captain America deduces that the bad guys are on board the blimp is totally arbitrary. He doesn't have to figure out a bunch of clues, he simply tells us, "The rest of this is all a distraction. That's Lukin's style." But since we the readers don't know what "Lukin's style" is, it all comes across as a deus ex machina.

Again, it's okay if we the audience knows something the heroes don't know, and it's okay if we are in the dark along with the heroes, but when both the heroes and the villians know what's going on, yet we the audience doesn't know what's going on, that's a bad story. I'm sure all will be revealed next issue, (though more questions will probably be thrown out with the answers), but I'm left scratching my head at why Brubaker is dragging this storyline out like this.

spidl is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly
    I was rather let down by this issue: there's a disproportion between what the characters in the story know and what we the reader know, and that never makes for a good storyline. What does a giant robot have to do with the Red Skull/General Lukin's plan for London?!? What is Bucky talking about in the scene where he's snooping around in the tunnels beneath London when he says, "Damn him to Hell!!" And the way Captain America deduces that the bad guys are on board the blimp is totally arbitrary. He doesn't have to figure out a bunch of clues, he simply tells us, "The rest of this is all a distraction. That's Lukin's style." But since we the readers don't know what "Lukin's style" is, it all comes across as a deus ex machina.

Again, it's okay if we the audience knows something the heroes don't know, and it's okay if we are in the dark along with the heroes, but when both the heroes and the villians know what's going on, yet we the audience doesn't know what's going on, that's a bad story. I'm sure all will be revealed next issue, (though more questions will probably be thrown out with the answers), but I'm left scratching my head at why Brubaker is dragging this storyline out like this.
    The Sleeper robots were one of the the Nazi's doomsday devices in the Marvel universe. Brubaker is dipping back to old Cap lore by bringing in the Sleepers. That was why Bucky went off and Cap reacted in horror. They realize that Lukin has brought about an evil that could destroy London.

Here is a page I found describing the Sleepers.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/sleepernazi.htm

I have loved the last three issues. I liked the intereaction between Cap, Union Jack, and Spitfire. The Sharon Carter scene in Mi-5 was great. I found Lukin to be more interesting when the Red Skull was not living in his head.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spidl
    The Sleeper robots were one of the the Nazi's doomsday devices in the Marvel universe. Brubaker is dipping back to old Cap lore by bringing in the Sleepers. That was why Bucky went off and Cap reacted in horror. They realize that Lukin has brought about an evil that could destroy London.

Here is a page I found describing the Sleepers.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/sleepernazi.htm

I have loved the last three issues. I liked the intereaction between Cap, Union Jack, and Spitfire. The Sharon Carter scene in Mi-5 was great. I found Lukin to be more interesting when the Red Skull was not living in his head.
    Once again, I stumble across a corner of the Marvel universe I know nothing about, (and I pride myself on my knowledge of Marvel lore!)

Thanks for the info!

I still think this particular story arc is floundering. The script doesn't help, (with everyone shouting "Cap!" and "No!!!" and "Oh God!!"). It's the type of "realistic" dialogue which Bendis is more known for as opposed to Brubaker, and I just don't think it fits a Captain America storyline at all..I'd much rather have the long soliloquies of an "old school" Captain America comic...without the "old school" plotlines involving resurrected villians, (still don't like the Red Skull being back).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast