Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spider-Girl #51-100 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Spider-Girl #69

Written by: Tom DeFalco
    Cover & Pencils by: Ron Frenz

"Truth" Pt. 1 (of 2)
    Doctor Octopus is back – and we don’t mean Otto Octavius! The Man-Wolf returns – and we do mean John Jameson! Secrets are revealed when Mayday Parker finally confronts Brad Miller and Jack Jameson learns the truth about his father’s deadly secret!

Comments?
    Last edited by Zebi; 02-20-2004 at 11:28 PM.

Zebi is offline Take off, eh!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spider-Girl #70 Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Girl #70

Cover & Pencils by: Ron Frenz

"Truth" Pt. 2 (of 2)
    As the Buzz takes on the Man-Wolf and Spider-Girl finds herself pitted against Dr. Jade and the new Dr. Octopus, she gets an assist from the most unexpected source! Featuring cameos by Darkdevil, the Green Goblin & Ladyhawk.

[The talkback for "Truth" Pt. 1 can be found here]

Comments?
    Last edited by Zebi; 02-20-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Zebi is offline Take off, eh!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [I apologize for my very late comments on this issue ; things have been busy at work.]

If you were expecting someone unusual to be Doctor Octopus in this issue, you'll be disappointed. Our "new" Doc Ock is none other than Carolyn Trainer, who has joined forces with Dr. Jade. The real surprise, however, is that in this universe, Otto Octavius is dead.

There is one possible clue, which is a mini-series based on Spider-Girl called The Buzz, which ran from July - September 2000. I haven't read it, but I've seen the reviews at SpiderFan.org. In this series, Doc Ock is working with Dr. Jade - and is dying of cancer. Unfortunately, the reviews don't specify which Ock this is. The review of the series does provide this detail:

Spoiler:
    Our villain is revealed to be Dr. Octopus who is dying of cancer but is able to move and speak due to a wheelchair-like device and can fight with a weapon called the Octopod.

If I'm not mistaken, this comic continues after the Clone Wars. Otto Octavius was killed by Kaine in Spectacular Spider-Man #221 (February 1995), but was resurrected later in Amazing Spider-Man #426-428 (August - October 1997). The first issue of Spider-Girl was printed in October 1998.

I'm hoping that Issue #70 will give a little more detail on what's going on here.
    Last edited by Zebi; 02-20-2004 at 11:29 PM.

Xurk is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spider-Girl #79 Talkback (Spoilers)

SPIDER-GIRL #79

(click to enlarge)

Pencils & Cover by: Ron Frenz & Sal Buscema

"IF THIS BE MY DESTINY—!" Spider-Girl learns the fate Norman Osborn planned for his grandson when she finally uncovers the secret of the woman who claims to be Normie’s wife. Plus — at long last — Normie chooses between Raptor and Spider-Girl!

Comments? What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for copying the 'Talkback first post', but I think: "Why change a winning post?"

I actually wanted to include a poll, like in the other talkbacks, but I forgot. Oh well, this is the first thread I've ever opened.

I've never seen any Spider-Girl talkbacks on this forum, while I find Spider-Girl to be one of the better long-running titles at Marvel the last few years.

This issue revolves around Elan kidnapping Normie and trying to turn him into a 'true' Goblin by letting him bathe in the Goblin formula, as she once did, making her the Queen of the Goblins.
    The writing was good, as I've come to expect from this title, but if Normie had been transformed into another Goblin, I wouldn't have liked it. Like other readers have complained, all the major storylines in the Spider-verse seem to revolve around the Osborns nowadays, and sometimes it's a relieve that there's none of this going on over in May's book.

There was that moment or two that Normie was in the formula, I guess they had to do this, to leave the storyline open. I just hope they choose not to let it affect him to the point that he decides to don the Green Goblin outfit [or the Golden Goblin outfit, as in the begin of this title] again.
    I think that mainly because of what they've done with his character since they got rid of all that Goblin madness a few years ago. His character is one of my favourite in the title now, it's good to see a 'sane' Osborn for once, and it's nice to see how little Normie Osborn from 616 could turn out later
    We'll just have to wait and see if they decide to use his minutes in the tank to create another Goblin-orientated storyline in the near future [or the later future]...

For some reason I miss the 'Venom'-costume on May, I thought it gave a refreshing look for her [not to mention all the covers with her wearing it were great desktops for on my computer ], and the costume-design was pretty cool as well.
    At the end of the previous arc we saw that her closet was still full with both costumes, so I can hope...
    Maybe the costume is only good for wearing temporarily, like her father did, although he wore it for a lot more issues than May did [I think only three].

Anyone else comments on this issue?

Clayface is offline Molecularly Malleable Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xurk
    I actually wanted to include a poll, like in the other talkbacks, but I forgot. Oh well, this is the first thread I've ever opened.
    I've used my wonderous and magical moderator powers to add a poll for ya.

You're a new face around hereso: Welcome to the boards! Oh, and congrats on your first new post!

"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself between the sounds
    And open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

"Be ashamed to die unless you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks!
    And again: Thanks

I've been reading these boards for a few months now, so I know my way around them, and I know the most prominent members and their posting patterns. I just had to sign up recently, because the discussions here are great and I want to contribute when I feel the need, instead of just reading everything and agreeing / disagreeing with what's said

Seeing as I've never seen a talkback for Spider-Girl, I thought I'd open one, seeing as a number of people on these boards have stated to find Spider-Girl a good comic, and I agree with them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spider-Girl #50-100 Talkback (Spoilers)

SPIDER-GIRL #97

Written by: Tom deFalco
    Art by: Ronald Frenz

"Here Comes HOBGOBLIN--!”

HE’S BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! Determined to get their revenge on Kaine and Spider-Girl, the Scriers bring Roderick Kingsley—the original HOBGOBLIN--out of retirement! ‘Nuff said!

Comments? What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, this is it: the first time Roderick Kingsley appears [as the Hobgoblin] since the "Goblins at the Gate" storyline, just before the relaunch of the Spider-Man titles in 1998 It may be in an alternate future timeline, but I still think it's cool!

Things really seem to be building up the big 100 and it seems like everyone's going to be in on it, judging by even the Black Tarantula packing his bags for New York... Spider-Girl back in her black suit is great, as are the final two pages! But I don't quite get her reasoning; I don't think the Scriers are so dumb as to not recognize her as Spider-Girl, just because she's sporting a different colour.

It's hard to believe this title only has another three issues left, as all of the supporting cast subplots still have so much in them!
    I loved the May / Davida interaction, the Normie / Brenda / Kristy interaction and the Moose / Courtney interaction. I'm really excited how they're going to wrap everything up in the 104 page special in a few months

On another note, I can't keep thinking how ironic it is, that it's Kaine's fault that the Scriers are after Spider-Girl. If he hadn't have ambushed some of them, demaning why they were after her, they wouldn't have thought to go after her in the first place...

DBZALLSTAR is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's nice to finally have a talkback for Spider-Girl. I loved this issue and am thrilled that the Hobgoblin is back.

As for Spider-Girl ending: Never fear faithful readers. Letters really do work, and I am grateful for that. Tom DeFalco announced at the Pittsburgh Comic Con that Spider-Girl is ending but will be relaunched with a new # 1, more than likely done to increase sales. I'm telling anyone reading this and not currently picking up Spider-Girl this right now: Sales better increase. I understand comics are expensive, and budgets are limited. Believe me, I know. Take a look at my lists. If I can afford to start picking up a few new series, you (referring to those not picking up Spider-Girl) can afford three extra dollars to pick up Spider-Girl every month. Spider-Girl and The Thing are two very well written and drawn series. Now that Spider-Girl is safe, I am going to focus on saving The Thing. If I ever have to worry about the threat of Spider-Girl being cancelled again, those who do not read it will feel my wrath. Marvel will at least. If Marvel truly had cancelled Spider-Girl, I really would have dropped every single Marvel book from my list. Thankfully, I won't have to now. It's just a matter of principle.

Anyway, pick up this issue if you like the Hobgoblin. In all the years he has been absent (1998 in our world, and at least fifteen-seventeen years in May's world), Roderick Kingsley has not changed one bit. He is still the same crazy, self-centered SOB he always was, and you have to love him for it. Tom DeFalco is the man for bringing all of these old characters and concepts into the "modern" era and making them work and actually making them better than they ever were. All of you who are not reading Spider-Girl: you are missing out, and I pity you for it.

jimmymiro12 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is this a one shot or will kingsley be in a few more issues?
    Thanks,
    jimmy m

RAINMAN is offline Kikoutei Densetsu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why do they feel a relunch is supposed to increase sales?

DBZALLSTAR is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kingsley is supposed to be in the book up through # 100. I can't express enough how great it is to see someone use this character after eight years. The fact that it's Tom Defalco writing him and in Spider-Girl no less, makes things even better.

As for the relaunch: we all know Marvel has been known to do this every once in a while, especially with its Spider-Man titles. Web of became Sensational. Spectacular, Sensational, Amazing, and Peter Parker were all ended in 1998 with a relaunch of only Amazing and Peter Parker two months later. Two anthology titles were created the same month to bring in new readers. Both anthologies were canned. Tangled Web came along and lasted about two years. Peter Parker became Spectacular Volume Two. Marvel Knights Spider-Man was launched. Spectacular ended, and Friendly Neighborhood was brought to life. Now Marvel Knights has become Sensational Volume Two. Marvel is always doing things like this to its books to increase sales. When they see that a book isn't working or isn't selling as well as they think it should, they either cancel it and relaunch it with a new title, give the book its original numbering (ala Amazing), or bring in a totally new book.

With Spider-Girl, I think it's mostly the fact that it sells about, what, thirty or forty thousand copies a month while the other Spider-themed titles sell a heck of a lot more. I believe Marvel is hoping people won't be as intimidated about picking up a book with a # 1 on the cover as they would be about starting to collect a book that is nearing one hundred issues. They probably think that people won't know what the heck is going on. If this is true, it's because Marvel has not paid good enough attention to "the little title that could". Yes, we have had the attention placed on it by the infamous motion to cancel it, but there has never been a realy push for it like the X-Men and Spider-Man books have had. Despite all this, Spider-Girl is the most consistently well written, well drawn, and most true to life (as true to life as a super hero book can be) comic out there that is published by either Marvel or DC. I think Marvel has finally had it with their attempts to cancel the book failing with such a committed fan following and the fact that the books circulation increases a little bit each title a cancellation is announced. I think from the beginning this "cancellation" was a stunt. Marvel tried to play us Spider-Girl fans, and it worked because we let them play us. I don't think Marvel is stupid enough to risk losing forty thousand readers, who would more than likely drop their other books from Marvel, being committed to Spider-Girl. I sure as heck would have, and for those of you who have seen my lists every month, that's a lot of books. I can live without those book. I's miss reading them, but I have a real life. I don't think Marvel wants to risk a decrease in sales that large.

Anyway: new issue 1=increased sales for Marvel and guarantess the sfety of their current sales and persons. Sorry to rant. I know I do, but I want to give you a full explanation and give you my opinion.

I'm going to ask everyone reading this thread once again: if you are not picking up Spider-Girl, you are missing out. Want to read it and are worried about catching up? The digests are cheap, and the Internet is full of information. I'm asking you for your personal enjoyment. Just give it a try.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since the talkback in this thread is revolving not just around Issue #97, but around the Spider-Girl series ending, I'm transforming this thread's title, to reflect it's a "Spider-Girl Series Finale" talkback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Kingsley will be hobby up to and including 100

thnx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZALLSTAR
    It's nice to finally have a talkback for Spider-Girl. I loved this issue and am thrilled that the Hobgoblin is back.
    Thanks I tried starting a talkback for Spider-Girl when I first joined these boards, but it didn't really take off.
    I figured, with the title nearing its end and the appearance of the original Hobgoblin, a talkback about this issue could maybe get more people to pick the title up!

As for Spider-Girl ending: Never fear faithful readers. Letters really do work, and I am grateful for that. Tom DeFalco announced at the Pittsburgh Comic Con that Spider-Girl is ending but will be relaunched with a new # 1, more than likely done to increase sales.
    This news has just made my day! The thought of the title being relaunched with a new #1 kind of disgusts me [I was so proud the title had such a high numbering], but as long as the creative team remains and Spider-Girl remains, I'm happy!!

Oh yeah, I agree with everything DBZALLSTAR wrote

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know the next part is coming out this week and i was wondering ifwe an see the cover for it. I saw the cover for 100 but what about 98, and 99

thx,
    jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The second instalemnt was ok.

NOt much action

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymiro12
    I know the next part is coming out this week and i was wondering ifwe an see the cover for it. I saw the cover for 100 but what about 98, and 99

thx,
    jim
    Here's the covers for 98 and 99:

All the covers for Marvel's latest issues can usually be found on Marvel's website at Marvel.com, (though I don't like how small Marvel makes their pics on their site, especially when compared to the picks on DC's website).

Stu
    Stu is online now Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Never really picked up Spider-Girl, but I'm a massive Hobgoblin fan so I ask you Spider-Girl faithful - do they trade these books at all? I'm saving for a holiday now, and would like to read the collected story when I've come back.

And that's a snazzy new suit. How long has she had that cool little number?
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast