0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    James Harvey is offline Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Batman: The Long Halloween" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    An eerie tale from Batman's early day recounts a year long hunt for a mysterious killer.

BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN

Written by: Jeph Loeb
    Art by: Tim Sale

Taking place during Batman's early days of crime fighting, a mysterious killer who murders his prey only on holidays. Working with District Attorney Harvey Dent and Lieutenant James Gordon, Batman races against the calendar as he tries to discover who Holiday is before he claims his next victim each month. A mystery that has the reader continually guessing the identity of the killer, this story also ties into the events that transform Harvey Dent into Batman's deadly enemy, Two-Face.

Comments?

oranthal is offline A hero in life and in death
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just finished "long halloween"-i have a few questions (spoilers)

i thought it was a fantastic story and well worth the money. the art also depicted the dark tone of the story. however, there some questions that i am not clear on. this where the spoilers begin. do not read on if you plan to read this series.

1. was catwoman's interest in "the roman" only because he was taking control of gotham which would interfere with their theiving?

2. at the end of the 1st issue, there was bomb that went off in harvey's house yet how did he walk away without a scratch while gilda was in the hospital?

3. gilda was the one who began the killing but harvey then began killing on new years. does that mean gilda stopped killing when harvey began?

4. did harvey know it was gilda who was "holiday"?

5. if gilda started the killing and then harvey began to kill, how is it that Alberto Falcone was named "holiday"? supposedly, harvey killed alberto on new year. did they make a pact with each other? did alberto want to make a name for himself?

The Guard is offline No Matter The Cost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. was catwoman's interest in "the roman" only because he was taking control of gotham which would interfere with their theiving?

It's hinted at that the two of them might be related in the sequel, DARK VICTORY. But Catwoman's obsession with him carries over from YEAR ONE.

2. at the end of the 1st issue, there was bomb that went off in harvey's house yet how did he walk away without a scratch while gilda was in the hospital?

Magic.

3. gilda was the one who began the killing but harvey then began killing on new years. does that mean gilda stopped killing when harvey began?

I think Dent began the killings.

4. did harvey know it was gilda who was "holiday"?

He knew he was one of the two, and I think he had SOME clue. Calendar Man knew.

5. if gilda started the killing and then harvey began to kill, how is it that Alberto Falcone was named "holiday"? supposedly, harvey killed alberto on new year. did they make a pact with each other? did alberto want to make a name for himself?

Alberto wanted to be more than he was. But read DARK VICTORY.

CadaverousEyes is offline Ostracized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time for "different interpretation":

3. Dent didn't kill anyone. Alberto faked his death. The wet hair was a red herring.

4. No. (It's building...)

5. Okay, here's where things get kinda iffy. Y'see, a small group of people, myself included, believe that Alberto commited all the murders and that Gilda just went bonkers because her life (and Harvey's) was pretty much ruined. Now, here's a few examples to prove this point

First murder: Okay, maybe possibly she could have done this, however, the Roman did try to have this guy killed before. In Alberto's eyes, he was still a liability.

Second murder: Okay, we are to understand that Gilda, in her dilapidated condition, and with a concussion, was able to outdraw and kill 5 experienced hoods? And we know for a fact that 2 of them were already reaching for their guns. Alberto could do this because he annihilated all of Maroni's guys in March. Once again, he did this because they're a liability. Hey, he can't help it if he's overzealous...

Third murder: Once again, it's doubtful that Gilda was able to follow the Joker in her condition without being seen. Alberto killed him because, that's what, the 2nd or 3rd time that particular bodyguard's let someone slip in?

Fourth "murder": Alberto wasn't shot, he faked his death. Yet Gilda thinks he did shoot him. I do believe someone's losing touch with reality... also notice how there weren't 2 murders on New Year's Eve? How would she know to quit the exact time Alberto tried to fake his death? Answer (maybe): It was him all along.

kid_flash is offline Speedy Teen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember that Gilda confessed to the first and second murders. I don't have it in front of me so I can't be certain, but I'm almost positive...

Ed Liu is online now Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Howdy,

Gilda may have confessed to some of the calendar murders in private, but if she really did go insane, she could be confessing to lots of things that she didn't do. It's an interesting theory.

IMO, the whole issue of "who killed who" is one of the major weak points of The Long Halloween. I can buy Harvey and Alberto being killers at different times, but then it seems that Alberto would have been the killer until Harvey starts losing it, but then stop once Harvey starts committing murders himself, only to pick up again once Harvey becomes Two-Face. That seems kind of ridiculous. If Gilda did commit any of the murders, the plausibility issues brought up by CadaverousEyes come into play; if she didn't commit those murders and is just cracking up, then it weakens her confession scene and makes that little epilogue/coda kind of unnecessary.

The other...issue that I have has with the...graphic novel has nothing to do with the murders, but with a...stylistic device, namely Jeph Loeb's overuse of...ellipses. He tends to use them...often. Sometimes multiple times on the same...page. It gets quite...distracting after a while.

-- Ed/Ace
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something."
    -- Jake the Dog, Adventure Time, "His Hero"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    with the answers that were posted, i think i am still confused as what was the real deal. i guess some things can never be answered.

one question i forgot to ask was how come holiday didn't kill on April fool's day? was there any significance to this?

CadaverousEyes is offline Ostracized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cause it was the Riddler, and you can't kill a major villain, even if it's an out of continuity story.

They gave two possible answers to this in the book. He either a) decided to take the holiday seriously and not kill, to throw everyone off or b) he did it so everyone would know that Falcone was trying to find the murderer, thus exonerating him from any suspicion that Holiday was on his side.

Karkull is offline Mod of Chaos
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought that Gilda performed the first two killings (October and November), then stopped when she thought Harvey took over. But it was actually Alberto, who faked his death in December and took over Holiday's M.O. for the January-September killings. Finally Harvey (as Two-Face) performed the final October killing, which means that Holiday is actually three people.
    "You don't have the tools to defeat me."
    --Karkull, "The Hand of Fate"

The Justice League Watchtower -- Now 99.9% Wonder Twin-free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Karkull
    I thought that Gilda performed the first two killings (October and November), then stopped when she thought Harvey took over. But it was actually Alberto, who faked his death in December and took over Holiday's M.O. for the January-September killings. Finally Harvey (as Two-Face) performed the final October killing, which means that Holiday is actually three people.
    do you think the moderators would mind if i posted this on the "batman/superman board"? i might get more respones and insights over there. or move this thread over there would be even better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast