0 Post(s)

New Avengers #11-15 Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

A new mystery begins!

NEW AVENGERS #11

WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
    PENCILS: David Finch
    INKS: Danny Miki

THE STORY: "RONIN" Part 1 (of 3). David Finch returns to debut the mysterious New Avenger everyone has been talking about all year!! Who is RONIN and why has Captain America recruited him into the fold? Bet it has something to do with Hydra helping the Silver Samurai get out of the country after he broke out of prison. Just sayin.

Comments?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Bearpod91 is offline I still have a moving avatar!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm getting this after school today but there's one thing I need to kno...
    Spoiler:
    I hear Ronin is Daredevil.

Comics2film!

My Art!

Check Em Out!

halinar is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pretty interesting book. Step up from all the Sentry stuff in my opinion. Hopefully we'll have the whole team assembled here shortly.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing.

SpiderPunk is offline anti-hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was a good opening iss. I really think that Ronin is Elektra. I mean DareDevil the one that tell Cap about this person. Cap talks to someone with black curly hair like Elektra has. Cap "is weary of their history with Wilson Fisk", Elektra worked for Fisk for a while, but that's just what I think.
    Who am I? You really want to know? The story of my life is not the faint of heart. If someone said it was a happy little tale, I was just a normal everyday guy, not a care in the world, sombody lied. But let me assure you, this story like any worth telling, is all about a girl...

Clayface is offline Molecularly Malleable Mod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpod91
    I'm getting this after school today but there's one thing I need to kno...
    Spoiler:
    I hear Ronin is Daredevil.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderPunk
    It was a good opening iss. I really think that Ronin is Elektra.
    Well, Bendis has said in interviews that Ronin is a male, and it's not Daredevil. So unless he's outright lying to throw people off the track, both theories are wrong.

"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself between the sounds
    And open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random, or what ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    Spiral out. Keep going"
    -Tool, Lateralus

"Be ashamed to die unless you have won some victory for humanity." -Horace Mann

AdamYJ is offline The Saturday Morning Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Y'know, it would be nice if Ronin was just . . . Ronin and not another superhero in disguise.

Darking is offline Packing Heat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ
    Y'know, it would be nice if Ronin was just . . . Ronin and not another superhero in disguise.
    Could be a ex-villian in disguise and thus the need for a new identity.

Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think Shang-Chi and Elektra are the two frontrunners for Ronin's identity right now and both of which could work. I could see Iron Man developing a suit for Elektra to hide her identity alltogether.

This was a good issue though and it seem slike Bendis is really going to just fly through this arc. It doesn't seem like it's going to be as decompressed as his Ultimate Spider-Man work. We've had alot happen already and the story is just whipping by! I'm actually really glad we're thrown right into the mess of everything. It's exhilarating!
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did Shang-Chi ever work for Fisk?
    Who am I? You really want to know? The story of my life is not the faint of heart. If someone said it was a happy little tale, I was just a normal everyday guy, not a care in the world, sombody lied. But let me assure you, this story like any worth telling, is all about a girl...

King_of_doom is offline kiva fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know, i still think is
    Spoiler:
    Daredevil, even Captain America was giving Matt some tips to use another identity, still we dont know until it ends
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

Deadpool: They replace Megas XLR for this!? Man where’s the world coming to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderPunk
    Did Shang-Chi ever work for Fisk?
    I remember an arc from the X-Men comic from the 1990s when Shang-Chi and the X-Men had to face off against the Kingpin. I can't remember the specifics of the story but that could be enough the connection. And the more I think of it isn't Elektra also a bit too obvious? The scene where we only see the black flowing hair makes it seem almost too much that it is Elektra. But I do think the idea of her having a suit that concels her identity completely and makes her appear like a man is a smart move on Bendis's part if it actually works out that way.

wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't believe Bendis actually had Spidey say, "Oy with the Madame Hydra!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man
    And the more I think of it, isn't Elektra also a bit too obvious? The scene where we only see the black flowing hair makes it seem almost too much that it is Elektra.
    I could definantly see Bendis trying to trow us off by, and I would have to agree that Elektra is a little too obvious. Plus, with Benis saying that it was a man, I really don't know what to think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you look when Captain America is talking to the mysterious person, he looks very far talking to him, probably is another person covering the real person that Captain America's talking with her hair.
    You'll never get credit for my discovery,Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow*Herbert West*

randomguy is offline Came, liked Ike, and left.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly
    I can't believe Bendis actually had Spidey say, "Oy with the Madame Hydra!"
    I noticed that also. It's kind of cute, but Bendis really needs to learn how to dial down the yiddishisms. They sound kinda odd coming out of Spider-Man.
    "So pray for peace until you're hoarse, and maybe fear will run its course.
    May God forgive us our insanity, and we'll keep pressing on."
    -Rodney Crowell, "We Can't Turn Back" (randomguy's song sig. #68)
    randomguy has ridden off into the TZ sunset. Details here. Follow his daily non-adventures at his MySpace blog.
    Texas 4000: randomguy and 42 other UT students bike to Alaska for cancer research. More info at link. View my rider's journal here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems Spidey is the only one BMB has use Yiddish. He says "Oy vey" a lot too.
    Mama
    Just killed a man
    Put a gun against his head
    Pulled the trigger
    Now he's dead
    --Queen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just saw Cable/Deadpool#21 and the ones who think that Ronin was Iron Fist(becuase i saw some people pointing him as Ronin) well he's not becuase if you read that comic you'll see why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_of_doom
    I just saw Cable/Deadpool#21 and the ones who think that Ronin was Iron Fist(becuase i saw some people pointing him as Ronin) well he's not becuase if you read that comic you'll see why.
    So the list must down to just Elektra and Shang-Chi for who could possibly be under the suit. It would make sense if it was Elektra given Bendis's history with the Daredevil character but that seems almost too obvious. But my knowledge of Marvel's martial arts character is pretty limited so I can't really think of anyone else.

wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randomguy
    I noticed that also. It's kind of cute, but Bendis really needs to learn how to dial down the yiddishisms. They sound kinda odd coming out of Spider-Man.
    Yeah, I keep waiting for Spider-man to say, "YOU MESHUGGINA SUPERVILLIAN!"

Seriously, the great thing about comic book characters is that more often than not, many are ambigious in exactly what religion they observe...so if someone wants to believe their favorite superhero matches their own religion, they can do that, and be right. But when the writer starts to nail down which religion the superhero observes, that can somewhat throw your suspension of disbelief right out the window...

There are exceptions to this, such as when the character is put through a storyline dealing with religion, it only makes sense to discuss the faith of the character, (this happens every few years in the pages of Daredevil, it seems)...but overall, I don't think it's good to come out and say what religion the character is.

And frankly, I'd advocate that Peter Parker is not jewish, nor is he Christian...I suspect he believes in god, but doesn't conform to one strict interpretation of religion...but maybe that's just how I view him.

randomguy is offline Came, liked Ike, and left.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillacropoli
    It seems Spidey is the only one BMB has use Yiddish. He says "Oy vey" a lot too.
    I seem to recall Hawkeye using some Yiddish in "Avengers Disassembled", right before getting killed in an embarassing manner. The Yiddish, admittedly, sounded way weirder coming out of Hawkeye than it did coming out of Spider-Man, who I could very easily see as Jewish.

All things told, the Yiddish isn't that big of a deal, so maybe I exaggerated. There's nothing wrong with occassional use of Yiddish colloquialisms. Hey, I use them frequently enough, and I'm not even Jewish.

Anyhow, I kinda liked this issue, although there were certain things about it that bothered me. I'm not convinced Matt would actually endorse Elektra to Captain America, and there's something silly about going to all that trouble to bring Wolverine and the Sentry into the team only to not use them.

Still, it's pretty fun and Finch's art is great. Good for what it is.
    "So pray for peace until you're hoarse, and maybe fear will run its course.
    May God forgive us our insanity, and we'll keep pressing on."
    -Rodney Crowell, "We Can't Turn Back" (randomguy's song sig. #68)
    randomguy has ridden off into the TZ sunset. Details here. Follow his daily non-adventures at his MySpace blog.
    Texas 4000: randomguy and 42 other UT students bike to Alaska for cancer research. More info at link. View my rider's journal here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast