0 0%

1 14.29%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ultimate Spider-Man #72-78 "Hobgoblin" Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!
    Harry is back...

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #72

Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
    Pencils & Cover by: Mark Bagley

"Hobgoblin" Part 1 of 7. Itís the terrifying beginning of the Hobgoblin arc as Harry Osborn returns to Midtown High harboring a dark secret that will affect the lives of all those around him ó especially Peter Parker. And where does father Norman fit into things?

Comments?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Harry and Mary Jane briefly dated back when Peter got bit by the spider? Is this what Bendis was referring to as one of the things from the first issue he was going to explore? It's a neat surprise but I was hoping it'd be something else like that strange marking on his wrist from the early issue. It's a surprise but it doesn't completely work. The early issues had the two almost all over each other but now this sort of throws it off abit but it does add something new to the Peter/Harry relationship.
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this issue was pretty good, despite the retcon of MJ's and Harry's relationship.

I guess, somehow, Harry will inject himself with the goblin formula to become Hobgoblin and then fight Spider-Man?

The most interesting question this issue raises is the love triangle between MJ, Harry, and Peter. BMB seems like he might be setting up another Peter/MJ breakup so that Harry and MJ could possibly get back together. Too bad Gwen is dead, and unavailable for Peter to hook up with.

In all likelihood though, MJ will reject Harry even if he tries to get her back, and Pete and Harry will have a big battle as Spider-Man and Hobgoblin.
    Last edited by guerillacropoli; 02-04-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was going to pick this up, but decided to dump it from my pull list. Bendis isn't even making it worth reading this book on a single-issue basis anymore. It's so much better in the TPB format.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Conekiller is offline On the Cruise!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDawg957
    I was going to pick this up, but decided to dump it from my pull list. Bendis isn't even making it worth reading this book on a single-issue basis anymore. It's so much better in the TPB format.
    that's what I've been doing for a while now, same with all the Ultimate books, actually >_>

Remembering Ben Feld,
    AKA Shogunthethird.
    A great friend, taken before his time.
    Memorial Thread

http://conekiller.deviantart.com/

Stu
    Stu is offline Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not getting the Harry/MJ relationship either. It seems wrong, basically. There's simply no way Peter would not have found out/MJ told him or something.

Over than that, it was OK. There wasn't any need for the origin recap, or that big dialouge-less spalsh page.

I'm seriously considering waiting for each issue to finish and reading them in one go. Bendis is pushing his look with his pacing, at present time.
    Marvel Animation Age - The World's Finest - Spawn - The Drawing Board

Follow Marvel Animation Age on Twitter @MarvelAAge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Spidey
    I'm not getting the Harry/MJ relationship either. It seems wrong, basically. There's simply no way Peter would not have found out/MJ told him or something.
    I've gone back and looked into those issues and the Harry/MJ thing does work but it just doesn't fit right. We never see them together in public like Harry said in this month's issue so that conveniently covers that. It's just the way MJ and Peter act around each other in the first few issues that it doesn't seem to work correctly.

SpiderPunk is offline anti-hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree that the Harry/MJ thing seems a little off, but overall I thought it was a really good issuse, I mean Harry's back and he's pissed off. I think this is going to be a really good arc. It's good to see that we're getting back to the Spider-Man mythology, the team-ups were good but I think this up coming arc is going to kock our socks off.

PaQ
    PaQ is offline Believe it!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was surprised to see Harry/MJ connection, nice twist thrown in there. I really wonder how Peter can be so comfortable with Harry knowing who he is, perhaps he isn't since he yelled at MJ. @_@ but that final scene, with Harry holding his mask, and saying coming back and seeing who's dating his girlfriend..

There's definitely some tensions there, and possibly some bridges Peter wished he wouldn't have to cross. I wonder how this whole Hobgoblin thing will go. ****

Amongst the Leaves

"Are you still alive or what?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaQ
    I was surprised to see Harry/MJ connection, nice twist thrown in there. I really wonder how Peter can be so comfortable with Harry knowing who he is, perhaps he isn't since he yelled at MJ. @_@ but that final scene, with Harry holding his mask, and saying coming back and seeing who's dating his girlfriend.
    I wonder why this wasn't addressed when Harry returned the first time all those months ago. He seemed really excited that Peter and MJ were dating at that point but why this sudden reversal now? I understand it does throw in a little more tension but it doesn't feel right to me.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast