Comic Art - Thesis
Howdy! This is ma first post!
Just started to write ma thesis for ma forthcomming degree. Its based on Comic Art, specifically I hope to illustrate social importance and cultural significance to society! Can anyone reccomend any resourses for research be it website or books? Or any graphic novels spring to mind which mite illustrate these issue effectively? Obviously Ive pin pointed some avenues of my own just wanted to springboard some ideas.
The areas I will cover as follows:
1. medium which is capable of confronting major questions of society.
2. Censorship(Controversy) - Comics Code Authority.
3. Changes implied with intro of graphic novel in 80s dealing with violence & sex amongst other themes.
4. Comics in newspapers reflecting commonly accepted standards in society
1 medium which culture can be reflected around the globe.
2. Standard techniques in film were initialy employed in comics; montage, angle shots etc.
3. A number of contemporary artists of acknowleged and illustrate their influence by comic art.
4. Many film directors; freidkin, lucas have have pointed to comics as influential in their concepts.
Basically I feel not enough media attention is given to comics as their is with film, thetre, books. The common perception is that comics are 'throw away art' for young children. I want to prove because of Comic Arts abilioty to confront social issues and its impact on culture media should give the artform the attention it deserves!
Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
I will use: Maus, Batman Returns, American Splendour and Watchman as reference any other novel suggestions appreciated.