0 0%

0 0%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

1 4.17%
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
    Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

I don't really see it like that TheGunheart. The fact that they aren't doing a total resale and are saying the events did happen and are what's lead to the new continuity actually I feel is better then a total reboot.

- First off this way there is always that chance that things can be reset and go back to using the other characters. Granted that seems like an impossibility now but things always can change, especially in the Sonic canon. I mean the only reason that this reboot was being pushed so hard was because of what happened with Penders and Sega finally using that as leverage to get the entire comics changed to be more like the games. Things could always happen in the future that alters that and allows characters and concepts to be reused back into the comics again. Especially since Ian was always good at taking old character and concepts that were long since thought extinct in the comics (reusing Fiest and Regina the Iron Queen for example) and bring them back to great effect. Things could always change. And even if that doesn't happen...

This way it does imply it actually DID happen and everyone isn't at square zero again. Unlike say the new 52 continuity. Which Ian who remember before becoming a writer was also generally a Sonic fan and a huge part of the fandom, and would know how upsetting it would be to just totally disregard the 20 years of the comics and say they didn't happen and move onto something else entirely. Thus why they aren't just starting over with another issue One (which honestly since even Marvel did it with their comics which aren't even resetting their universe wouldn't be out of the norm) and why it's being implied that it happened. Sadly I do wish it didn't happen this way and it wasn't such a reset but I'd rather it not being a 100% game changer and still leaving some pieces on the board.

Plus, you also have to remember that the main audience of the comics is still aimed at kids. Now obviously kids are fine at grasping alternate variations and new takes on concepts but do take it harder and would be more confused then anything else if it were just totally changed from square one. They need the consistency and the idea of what happened before still happened to better percieve the change. Granted they won't get the reason of why it needed to be rebooted in the first place but if you show them an alternate world being taken over from the world one, they'll get it more then just saying "oh that old one didn't matter here's the new Sonic." Especially since this is being done before any major relaunch as Boom is still aways away and the games never really rebooted their old continuity honestly. At least to any official degree anyway.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

dth1971 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got Sonic the Hedgehog issue #258 recently. But who in the world is a new character named PROFESSOR PICKLE??

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The thing I hate is how Archie is touting this as a great jumping-on point for new readers. With all the talk about two timelines and sets of memories, I can't imagine new readers not being totally confused over what's happening.

I've been reading the comics since issue 6 over 20 years ago, and even I would've preferred a hard reboot. As it is, I find the whole "soft reboot" to be really, really sloppily done and explained.

Quote Originally Posted by dth1971 View Post
    Just got Sonic the Hedgehog issue #258 recently. But who in the world is a new character named PROFESSOR PICKLE??
    He's from the video game Sonic Unleashed.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been reading the comics since issue 6 over 20 years ago, and even I would've preferred a hard reboot. As it is, I find the whole "soft reboot" to be really, really sloppily done and explained.
    Well that's what happens when you aren't really allowed to explain much of the original reality because of legal reasons. Heck they can't even talk much about what caused the reboot either as that happened in the Megaman crossover and from what I heard they can't directly reference that IN the comics specficially besides just vague mentions or special editorial notes that just say "Read Worlds Collide." And again as I pointed out, I do feel that a soft reboot works better then just a whole sale one. And besides the reasons I gave, remember this is an Archie Comic. And though Archie in it's main series feels very loose and wonky with their continuity, there is still some sort of established order they aren't directly messing with. Thus why the main Archie book still sells and there are so many various reprints of older material they have every month. Personally I do agree this wasn't handled the best but I can't honestly seeing it being handled any better with all the restrictions placed on it and again better they still have what came before it still matter in some form then just disregarding it entirely. Especially since when DC did that how many of it's characters and concepts and the like we're thrown in the gutter just to go in a "new direction" a lot of people didn't care for. Wouldn't want the same to happen to Sonic.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Considering the time restraints, the Comic did transit better than I thought it would. Would a Hard Reboot would have been better? Well... I don't think so. As was pointed out, the series has gone on so long with it's own plot threads. Just stopping in the middle of that would be far more jarring, if not considered insulting to those following the story.

I'm sure the writers would had perfered a proper ending, but the limitations prevent that from happening. They did what they could do.

In any case, despite the confusion, the arc did provide a sense that things were changing, and it affected the characters. It wasn't just confusing for the readers - the whole events created chaos for the characters too. But overall, readers new and old no longer have to worry about over a decade of stories to deal with.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Would a Hard Reboot would have been better? Well... I don't think so. As was pointed out, the series has gone on so long with it's own plot threads. Just stopping in the middle of that would be far more jarring, if not considered insulting to those following the story.
    They pretty much DID stop in the middle of everything, though. No plot threads were resolved, and they went out of their way to remind us via "old memories" that nothing was resolved. Everything is just "different" now. I understand why it had to happen, but I see no reason not to simply reboot the series hard if none of the plot threads from pre-Worlds Collide will ever be referenced again.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PC! View Post
    They pretty much DID stop in the middle of everything, though. No plot threads were resolved, and they went out of their way to remind us via "old memories" that nothing was resolved. Everything is just "different" now. I understand why it had to happen, but I see no reason not to simply reboot the series hard if none of the plot threads from pre-Worlds Collide will ever be referenced again.
    There is plot potential from having old memories but a different reality. There would be identity issues, metaphysical questions, worries about loved ones who are now "gone", and fears about a brave new world. By exploring these things, the characters can explore themselves.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35