Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lerkero is offline Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    It is way too soon to write Serena off right now. Yes, she hasn't done much, but even Ash has only captured 2 pokemon with neither of them evolved. Perhaps if Serena still hasn't done anything by episode 50 she won't play a large role in any events, but give her a chance.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerkero View Post
    It is way too soon to write Serena off right now. Yes, she hasn't done much, but even Ash has only captured 2 pokemon with neither of them evolved. Perhaps if Serena still hasn't done anything by episode 50 she won't play a large role in any events, but give her a chance.
    To be fair, starter Pokemon in the main cast never evolve this early in the series, although I think both Starly and Pidove had evolved by this point in their respective series, but I agree that it's too soon to write her off completely. If she hasn't made any progress with exploring different options for a goal, found a goal or did any kind of training with Fennekin after the first year's worth episodes, then I'd be more willing to say that she wouldn't do anything substantial in the series.

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    Why would Miette suddenly develop feelings for Ash when they barely interacted in the episode? More importantly, why are the writers giving Ash two female characters who have crushes on him when the romance isn't going to go anywhere?
    I saw it more as teasing her rival Serena than actually having feelings for him. She may find him attractive, which she wouldn't have to know him for, and was perceptive enough to sense how Serena really felt.

I was bothered by the language used to describe Serena's relationship with Ash. Miette used the words "take care of Ash" in the English dub, but I wonder what phrase the Japanese dub used. I personally disagree with the use of "take care of" as a synonym for marry - especially since that language usually only comes from females - but I guess there aren't many neutral ways to say that in English. 'Dating' and 'marry' sound too serious for children and 'love' doesn't necessarily mean date. I'm kind of being a hypocrite though because I find it cute when Bonny tries to marry off her brother using the same words.
    Bonnie's catch phrase in the Japanese version is "Have my brother, s'il-vous-plait" (at least that's how the fansubbers interpret it). So it's not all that different, though in that particular scence, Miette actually asked Ash if he had a "promised bride", in other words someone he was already arranged to. Which is somewhat common in Japan, not so much here, thus why she just mirrored Bonnie's line in the dub. Also, Bonnie has occasionally used the word "wife" in the dub, so it's not like they're trying to hide anything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I don't know if I'd write her off completely like that. While she hasn't done much and she definitely could be handled so much better, I don't know if I'd say that they won't do anything substantial with Serena. This is episode twenty-six out of a hundred plus series that will go on for at least another couple of years, depending on how long the sixth generation lasts. It just feels a bit too early to say that they won't do anything substantial with her character. It's pretty unlikely that they'd give her something like Contests, although I'd love that since I really miss Contests, but I imagine that they'll give her a goal at some point. Clemont is the secondary male character and they usually don't really do much in general. He has more potential for personal growth due to his self-confidence issues in his skills as a trainer and traveling with Ash to become stronger, but that's about it aside from his future Gym battle with Ash.

Despite Serena's wasted potential, I would still easily take her over Iris. At least she isn't annoying and unlikable on top of having wasted potential like Iris. I liked Clain, but writing wise, he was in the same boat as Iris in that he had no development over the course of the series.
    Compatriots,

you have a lot more faith in the staff than i do. i would love to be proven wrong but i feel like if they had bigger plans for serena they would have hinted at something by now. the ryhorn racing, pokevison, and pokepuff episodes seem like big indicators that they don't have a clear vision on what the character should be doing. even some of those scenes in the early episodes before she joined ash seemed a bit directionless.

maybe the writers creative juices will start flowing once enough time has passed.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mayhem View Post
    Compatriots,

you have a lot more faith in the staff than i do. i would love to be proven wrong but i feel like if they had bigger plans for serena they would have hinted at something by now. the ryhorn racing, pokevison, and pokepuff episodes seem like big indicators that they don't have a clear vision on what the character should be doing. even some of those scenes in the early episodes before she joined ash seemed a bit directionless.

maybe the writers creative juices will start flowing once enough time has passed.
    In their defense, it's not like they have much of anything from the games to work with. There isn't really anything to do in X/Y besides collecting Gym badges, so there's nothing like Contests to where they could work in a battle driven goal into her journey. They could definitely have her explore more options to look into for a goal, train her Fennekin or try to capture a Pokemon, which at this point has only happened once with that Corsola a few weeks ago, but they sadly haven't done that. Those episodes seem more like they're just not giving Serena a specific goal right now, rather than they don't know what she should be doing. For all we know, becoming a good Poke Puff chef could be her goal since she likes to bake so much. I don't think I'd like that since it would be a boring goal and not one that she could use her Pokemon as anything more than decoration, but it would be something. I never thought that she would be into Ryhorn Racing either since she clearly didn't like it, even though her mother's lessons sunk into her.

One theory I've heard about is that they might be saving her goal for some new feature in the third version/sequels to X/Y, but considering how that probably won't happen until next year if the rate of one or two new main series games coming out a year keeps up, I'm not sure if they're going that route. Serena obviously wouldn't get something like Contests at this point since something like that would have been introduced by now if they were going for a big sidequest goal for her. It didn't even take May that long to get into Contests when AG started. She'll most likely have some kind of goal later on. If we're still at this point in the second season of XY where she hasn't made any attempts at finding a goal, hasn't trained Fennekin and/or hasn't captured a new Pokemon, then I'd be more willing to write her off. At this point, it still feels a bit too early, especially when XY will run for at least another couple of years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12