Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

CN Talkback: Pokemon The Series: XY: "Breaking Titles At The Chateau!" [6/7]

Like This Thread!

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel through the Kalos region, making new friends and catch more Pokemon along the way.

Recently:
    Ash defeats Viola and earns his first Kalos Gym badge.
    Serena explains to Ash where they met before.
    Serena officially joins the group as she searches for her own goal.
    Clemont reveals that he is the Lumiose City Gym Leader, but due to his robot, he is unable to enter the Gym.
    Clemont defeats and repairs his robot and Ash decides he wants to face Clemont in a Gym battle once he gets four badges.
    Clemont captures a Chespin.
    Jessie captures a Pumpkaboo
    Froakie learns Double Team in an attempt to learn Quick Attack.

Last Time:
    "A Conspiracy To Conquer!"
    As Ash and his friends continue on their journey, two mysterious figures arrive that puts Pikachu, along with Team Rocket, under their control with hypnotic powers. Clemont's new invention might be the only way for them to save Pikachu. Will they be able to stop this villain in time to rescue Pikachu?

This Time:
    "Breaking Titles At The Chateau!"
    Saturday, June, 7th, 8:00am Eastern
    Encore: Sunday, June, 15th, 8:00am Eastern
    As Ash and his friends continue on their way to Cyllage City, they come across a place called the Battle Chateau. It is a place where noble titles are determined by battling skills. Of course, Ash wants to jump right into things and battle after watching other matches. Does Ash have what it takes to defeat these Dukes and Duchesses?

Notes:
    The 17th season of Pokemon is officially here to promote the sixth generation.
    Hoenn Confirmed! Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have been announced and will be released worldwide this November.
    Pokemon X and Y are available worldwide!
    The Mega Evolution Special I is available on Pokemon.com
    Pokemon XY premieres are now at 8AM instead of 8:30AM.
    Re-runs of Pokemon BW Adventures in Unova are now on weekdays at 8:00am.
    Please stay on topic when discussing the episode and do not focus on any kind of edits.
    Please avoid using spoilers, including vague ones, in these talkbacks. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well this episode....had potential....I thought that those two brothers rapping would get annoying, but I'm glad they stopped (what was even the point?!). I'm a little disappointed that it was Serena and Bonnie that brought up the whole Chateau, and Serena seemed unreasonably enthused for Ash. It would've been nice for HER to want to challenge the place; I'd imagine her fantasizing about being royalty, wearing pretty clothes or something, but instead, she just keeps pushing Ash. It's not ENTIRELY odd of her, but I'm still disappointed. As for the battles, they were all exceptionally well, ESPECIALLY the last one. Since I've forgotten who was who in the games, the revelation of Grant's identity was to be expected, BUT I was expecting him to be something more. The chateau built up the ranks of knights as if every rank was a god with super strong pokemon, but now that we know who Grant is to Ash and to the whole Kalos League, the Chateau seems unbelievably weaker if THAT'S all the skill you need to be Grand Duke/Duchess. Ash could probably mop the floor with a good majority of the people there if that's the case. If they wanted to make the titles seem more menacing, they should've had Grant's position OUTSIDE of the chateau be equally menacing. Too bad. Like I said before, this episode had potential, but it just didn't reach that point.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

Lerkero is offline Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That was an awesome battle between Grant and Viola. Onyx's rock tomb looked scary and powerful, but Surskit's speed and abilities were able to counter it twice. Viola's use of bubblebeam and protect to keep Surskit away from harm was impressive. When Surskit stopped Onyx with ice beam I thought the battle would be over, but Grant had a third strategy in mind and it was rather surprising. Once an Onyx starts jumping I'm not sure what you can do.

I always enjoy seeing a battle won by strategy rather than just power. Both Surskit and Onyx countered the opponents moves with something other than a typical projectile standoff until one falters. This battle was genuinely enjoyable and impressive in terms of how trainers should handle battles.

Juxtapose Grant and Viola with Ash's battle and it becomes obvious how the writers treat Ash's battles. Pikachu's iron tail was weakened and Ash's strategy was to keep using iron tail until it does enough damage. That strategy might work on weaker pokemon, but I will hate it if Ash does that with gym battles or battles against powerful opponents. In fact, I would be rather disappointed if Ash defeats grant. Ash doesn't seem anywhere near Grant's level. Ash can use pikachu, but then there will likely be a repeat of the Onyx vs Pikachu unbelievable victory. I can see Ash battling Onyx with Froakie and Froakie evolving during the battle to become stronger. I don't know if I can tolerate any other victory by Ash.

The animation continues to impress. Pokemon has come a long way since the days of constant speed-lines.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerkero View Post
    Juxtapose Grant and Viola with Ash's battle and it becomes obvious how the writers treat Ash's battles. Pikachu's iron tail was weakened and Ash's strategy was to keep using iron tail until it does enough damage. That strategy might work on weaker pokemon, but I will hate it if Ash does that with gym battles or battles against powerful opponents. In fact, I would be rather disappointed if Ash defeats grant. Ash doesn't seem anywhere near Grant's level. Ash can use pikachu, but then there will likely be a repeat of the Onyx vs Pikachu unbelievable victory. I can see Ash battling Onyx with Froakie and Froakie evolving during the battle to become stronger. I don't know if I can tolerate any other victory by Ash.
    At least they probably wouldn't have Pikachu's Electric attacks affect Onix like they did during the original series. Ever since Pikachu mastered Iron Tail, I don't think that they've had its Electric attacks affect Ground types. While I'm pretty sure that Froakie will evolve at some point, I still think that it's too early for that to happen.

Anyway, I thought that this was a pretty good episode. While Serena being interested in the Chateau for herself would have been nice, she isn't too interested in battles and they didn't know about the robes one wears based on their ranks. Even then, I'm not sure if she would be interested in doing that. It does feel like her potential is being wasted at this point, which is a shame, but at least she's still fairly likable. Those two brothers rapping were annoying, but luckily they didn't speak that way through the whole episode. The Battle Chateau looked really nice and I liked how they included characters from the games, such as the maid and Duke Tuner. Explaining the appeal of the Battle Chateau was cool and those robs based on one's noble title looked really nice too. Too bad that they weren't in the games.

Most of the battles were okay. Fletchender vs. Dusknoir being mostly off-screen was kind of disappointing, but they wanted to reintroduce Viola, as well as introduce Grant. He had a different voice than I imagine he would, but I was fine with it. Ash's battle was okay. There was some decent strategy for Fletching with using Agility to dodge and Feather Dance to lower Pikachu's attack, but Pikachu's Iron Tail was still too strong. I think that Pikachu's Iron Tail attack still being strong enough to damage Fletching would bother me a lot more if this wasn't just a random trainer battle, or if this was against a strong opponent like a Gym Leader.

The battle against Grant and Viola was easily the best out of the battles here. There was good strategy on both sides and that Rock Tomb looked intense. It figures that Grant would win since they'd want to establish him as a powerful trainer before Ash battles him, but they did it in a good way by making him looked like a skilled trainer. Everyone being so shocked at Grant being the Gym Leader was kind of funny. Hopefully Ash's battle with Grant will be good. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. I hope that next week's episode will be fun to watch too.

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I for one am glad Team Rocket wasn't in this. I don't think I could take them and those rapping brothers. I am with Seena on this one, the rapping was annoying.

As for Grant and Viola, that battle was awesome. They are two gym leaders what do you expect. Is just me or where Grant and Viola flirting.

Yes I wish Seena would do more in this series, what is her goal?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    Yes I wish Seena would do more in this series, what is her goal?
    She still doesn't have a goal, but that isn't so much of a problem. They haven't really done much to explore that angle or have her try out different things to find out what she'd like to do. To be fair, they are limited as to what she could do since there's nothing from X/Y that they could adapt into a sidequest goal for her like they could with Contests, but it does feel like they could do more with her despite that. Giving Serena a bit more focus would be nice and could help her to be a more interesting character. She still has potential, she's likeable and it's still fairly early on in the series, so I'm not too worried at the moment, but it does feel like her potential hasn't been realized yet.

Cookiefication is offline ¯\(º_o)/¯
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think I'm one of only three or four people who didn't mind rapping (if that's what you want to call it) brothers.

I thought the battles were interesting and nicely animated. Surskit vs Onix had some pretty cool shots, especially with all the dodging and stuff. It's so good have battles this well done (that aren't from the fantastic Iwane Masa'aki) on a somewhat regular basis .

Cookiefication's Cookie Fixations - Tumblr! My animations and whatever else go in there.

Latest Update: 6/17/2014