Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    anonuserguy is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will Steven (Universe) ever be powerful?

Like This Thread!

So here's the current situation: Garnet is pretty much the local BA, Pearl is a loving but competent Gem, Amethyst is something of a jokester but also competent, and Steven is, by comparison, foolish and incompetent (although he does do things right sometimes). Will this ever change, do you think, or will the show stay close to the same track it's already on? I'm afraid that the creator, Rebecca Sugar, will make sure that Steven remains the noticeably weakest member of the group for the show's duration. Which makes sense. Shows created by men often make their female characters weak, so Rebecca may want to do just the opposite with her show. I'm really just not interested in following the show if the main character doesn't really progress or develop into something more serious.

Thoughts?

Getouttamylab! is offline The ride of a lifetime
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The show just started. I'm pretty sure Steven's character will develop in some ways as the show goes on.
    And then my post was finished.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's an idea: Wait for the first season to end before making quick judgments.

Gatordragon is online now El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, what the other people said. It's a little early to tell whether or not Steven will become more powerful. The show's almost halfway through its first season. It seems like the show is currently more focused on showing the viewers what the world of Steven Universe is like and what the Crystal Gems are. Maybe it will change by the end of the first season or at the start of the second season. Let's wait and see.

"Three episode rule"? First time I've ever heard of such a thing.
    Last edited by Gatordragon; 02-22-2014 at 08:34 PM.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Megumi is offline ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by op
    I'm really just not interested in following the show if the main character doesn't really progress or develop into something more serious.

Thoughts?
    Don't how this show got past the three episode rule for you. I dropped it quickly when I saw that the kid was going to be an idiot for a while.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Eh, I don't care what happens on Steven Universe anymore. I recently dropped this show; it's just not for me. There were inherent problems that I had with the premise and concept from the get-go, and then I just got bored with it.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The show's bearable enough for me to sit through it for the rest of the season.
    Each episode reveals a little bit of the world and the characters, and I'm hoping that it's building up to something big like a season long story arc or something. If the show continues to be standalone episodes, I'm dropping it.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    The show's bearable enough for me to sit through it for the rest of the season. Each episode reveals a little bit of the world and the characters, and I'm hoping that it's building up to something big like a season long story arc or something. If the show continues to be standalone episodes, I'm dropping it.
    Didn't Sugar say that this show won't have a big bad villain in it? While not EVERY show needs a villain to have an arc, it helps drive the story to have some kind of big bad threat for the characters to rise up against. It IS a coming of age story, so SOMETHING has to happen that'll make Steven grow up at least a little bit to show his character development.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darissa Townes View Post
    Didn't Sugar say that this show won't have a big bad villain in it? While not EVERY show needs a villain to have an arc, it helps drive the story to have some kind of big bad threat for the characters to rise up against. It IS a coming of age story, so SOMETHING has to happen that'll make Steven grow up at least a little bit to show his character development.
    Dudley never said that. He just said he's expecting some kind of arc.

It doesn't need to have a villain. There could be alternate ways of doing this to keep in the spirit of the show's premise.

1) Explore the backstory of the Gems and/or Rose. They've been hinting a lot that important stuff happened before the series began.

2) Have a natural disaster occur rather than have an antagonist. It could be a disease or some kind of celestial mechanism that has been occurring for thousands of years.

3) If they feel they must add an antagonist, have that character be long dead. This could tie in with the first suggestion. Why are there so many mystical artifacts and death traps just existing in the middle of nowhere? (i.e. The maze fort in "Serious Steven.") Someone must have planted them a long time ago, and whoever did was likely defeated by the Gems, and the characters just happen to be disarming all the damage that the character had caused.

4) Steven eventually DOES learn to control his powers, but the more he uses them, the more they begin to cause escalating problems and lasting consequences.

Those are just a few probable routes they could take.

CatChancey is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anonuserguy View Post
    Shows created by men often make their female characters weak, so Rebecca may want to do just the opposite with her show.
    I would ask you to provide some examples of this. If you think of most comedy-based cartoons, the female characters are usually the hyper competent athletic/intelligent types thrown in to meet a quota or domineering female bullies. Just off the top of my head I can think of Francine from Arthur, the Kanker sisters, Connie from Shelldon, Tina Rex and Masami from Gumball, Dannan from Jakers! is the smartest one, Sandy from Spongebob, Margaret and Eileen are smarter than Mordecai and Rigby and Cloudy Jane is quite the powerhouse. The female companions in Pokemon have never been weaker than Ash, despite him supposedly have such an edge experience-wise over many of them. If you look at almost any superhero show, there won't be much of a power differential between the male and female heroes.

I'd argue shows created by men misuse and under use female characters because they don't really know what to do with than and they're added in as afterthought - they don't want to step on any toes so we see the same 3 archtypes over and over - the athletic/smarty powerhouse, the icequeen mean girl, and the bully. None of these are really "weaker" than the male characters and usually much "stronger" in at least one way.

Yes, Steven is the weakest gem - he's a freakin' kid! And yet, he STILL has managered to think on his feet faster than Pearl, the strategist of the group, twice so far, and has saved the gems almost as many times as he's needed saving (ok, so he also creates the situations he saves them from, but . . .). I'd say compared to most of the current male protagonists in shows created by men (Gumball, Sanjay, the male Simpsons and Griffons, Rigby, Spongebob, etc.), Steven is pretty competent and smart.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Y'know, being that this show WAS made from some of the same people from AT, I wouldn't be surprised if the storytelling is the exact same thing where we'll have a dash of episodes that actually tell a continuing story (usually a season finale/premiere), and the rest are just stand alone episodes. It's a good means of pleasing both sides as the creators can let other writers create episodes and the execs get a long-lasting show. Anybody can work on the actual 'sandwich' but the main crew will be the ones to provide the two slices of kick butt 'bread'. The problem is, when you're like me and enjoy a sense of serialization, you risk losing an audience when you tease them with plots and arcs in favor of random adventures. It's honestly because of THIS that I dropped SU early on, but still keep in touch with the news. In regards to what Dudley is saying, I'd say wait until the finale. If this show truly is AT's brother, then we should expect SOMETHING to happen in the season finale. It IS a coming-of-age story, so Steven has to somehow grow up mentally.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not sure this issue even gets to the heart of the show. Time and again we see Steven inadvertently causing problems through his inexperience and childishness, but it is also that nature and his ability to step up big time when it matters the most that ends up saving the day in the end. Often Steven needs to be carried, but he also gets ideas the Crystal Gems wouldn't think of and is making himself important to the harmony of the group. I think he does as well as any goofy kid his age could be expected to do.

But yeah, I imagine that in time he'll learn to do some stuff with his powers.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    I'm not sure this issue even gets to the heart of the show. Time and again we see Steven inadvertently causing problems through his inexperience and childishness, but it is also that nature and his ability to step up big time when it matters the most that ends up saving the day in the end. Often Steven needs to be carried, but he also gets ideas the Crystal Gems wouldn't think of and is making himself important to the harmony of the group. I think he does as well as any goofy kid his age could be expected to do.

But yeah, I imagine that in time he'll learn to do some stuff with his powers.
    To be fair, THAT is what's keeping me from dropping this show like some people have - good development aside, I still like Uncle Grandpa way more (especially for knowing exactly what it wants to be; something I'm still convinced this show has completely established, which I know takes time for ANY show, so I may be acting too harsh here. Either way, Steven needs consistent development for me to really like/relate to him, which I don't really see a lot of so far, unfortunately... Hence why people HAVE dropped this show, from what I gather.).
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).