Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Eh, i still like my Half-baked theory... namely Re-watching the episode, right before CB became fully competent and made his big speech, he was hit in the face with a ball of fire. Though i do agree it ould have been good to see something earlier rather than nothing with him changing over time.
    Inclined to agree - And to think people called this character derailment for him... If this is what THAT is like, I want to see MORE of it in my general Western fare, specifically with characters who started off, but still are dumber than CB is AFTER this episode...
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
    After seeing this episode... I just didn't know what to say. Cinnamon Bun just suddenly becomes a competent badass out of the blue?

I'm still not sure if I buy the "half-baked" theory that this thread is adopting. Even after he supposedly stayed at the Fire Kingdom after the events of "Earth & Water," he was back at the Candy Kingdom in later episodes, and he was as dim-witted as before. (Go watch "Apple Wedding" again.) This feels like a sudden derailment of his character more than a natural progression.

Your forgetting something very important. Princess bubblegum is a mad scientist who is not above cloning her subjects, The second Cinnamon Bun left her kingdom she probably cloned him.

Anyway this show has never been know for it's consistent quality. It would get into a slump of decent to bad episodes before another great one. The show is not losing steam it's just in another of those slumps.

GC13 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A very weak episode. It has a few blatant "just so the viewers know" moments that they lampshaded, as if saying "lol, bad writing" after doing poor writing makes it funny. Then there was the terrible "oh look, I'm doing something evil rulers like to do," "hey, I'm mad at you," "well I'm mad at you for being mad at me," "grrr," "grrr," sequence. I'm not sure if I was supposed to be laughing at that fist fight, but I wasn't. It's not like people saying silly things can't be funny: them telling CB he could leave after "out-duking" the two guards was good. Flame King's fist fight was just bad.

Also, CB was very out of character, to the point where I thought he was possessed (he does revert to his normal self at times), but I'm not sure if this is a plot point they'll come back to in later episodes or bad writing because nobody comments on it.

Finally, Finn just didn't need to be there. This wasn't an episode like Too Old where his attempts to impress a princess were important to what's going on. He's brought in just so he can get "shown up by CB."

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think you completely missed the point of the episode

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GC13 View Post
    Finally, Finn just didn't need to be there. This wasn't an episode like Too Old where his attempts to impress a princess were important to what's going on. He's brought in just so he can get "shown up by CB."
    It was... namely how WRONG it was for him to focus on trying to get back together with flame princess and impress her. I think part of the point of this episode was to show how broken Finn is; he was so distracted with FP that he was thinking about what he was doing and thus couldn't do anything right; he was so bad that he got shown up by Cinnamon Bun. Rattleballs was Finn doing the exact opposite; he tried to use focus on his work as a way of distracting himself from his feelings. Finn needs fixing up

Your forgetting something very important. Princess bubblegum is a mad scientist who is not above cloning her subjects, The second Cinnamon Bun left her kingdom she probably cloned him.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Though it does beg the question as to why she wants to have him around when he causes so many problems.

Like Finn, I feel like the writers are going somewhere with PB. I mean in this episode, Cb (who seems like the voice of reason) called her "devious"... Makes me think the writers are perfectly aware of how they have been portraying her. She's always had a devious side to her, but they have been making it more and more obvious lately. They could be building up to something with her, but not quite sure what.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    I
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Though it does beg the question as to why she wants to have him around when he causes so many problems.

Sentimental reasons?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    I'm disappointed that Finn didn't use his new grass sword, maybe we will have to wait for the next episode and Cinnamon Bun is moving up in the world.
    Check out the Cartoon Network International News Thread: Future Schedules, News, Ratings, Promos and Bumpers from all over the world:
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/carto...ws-thread.html
    Happy St. George's Day - 23rd April

Ahiru-kun is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GC13 View Post
    I'm not sure if I was supposed to be laughing at that fist fight, but I wasn't. It's not like people saying silly things can't be funny: them telling CB he could leave after "out-duking" the two guards was good. Flame King's fist fight was just bad.
    The fist fight was a reference to They Live which I can't believe no one caught.
    Hora erat quinque.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahiru-kun View Post
    The fist fight was a reference to They Live which I can't believe no one caught.
    That actually makes ALLOT of sense, seeing how the Flame King is voiced by Keith David, while the Fire Lord was voiced by Roddy Piper
    this episode was basically a "They Live" reunion

the fight

Gatordragon is offline El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post
    That actually makes ALLOT of sense, seeing how the Flame King is voiced by Keith David, while the Fire Lord was voiced by Roddy Piper
    this episode was basically a "They Live" reunion

the fight
    Man, that fight was cray-z! I think that was one of the most real fights I've seen on film; like something you would see in real life. It makes me appreciate the fight between Flame King and Flame Lord more now. Shame they couldn't sneak the groin hits in, though I think that wouldn't fly past the censors.

I know. That's why I typed in "They Live fight scene" in the YouTube search bar.
    Last edited by Gatordragon; 02-13-2014 at 09:44 PM.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not Available in the US. Dangit!!!
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

Tbridge44 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel like a lot of you missed the point of this episode, and are being overly harsh on it (and I generally am not that lenient with grading Adventure Time)

CB is now enlightened, and is no longer half baked. This is because he was hit by the fire. The new CB isn't mentally handicapped, he's now been awoken to his true form. This wasn't out-of-character for him, this IS his character now. CB & FP are starting to represent the "truth" as the foreshadowing of PB declining becomes ever more present. Everything PB does is in secret, and if you can see dumb-CB never trusted her. If smart-CB continues to distrust her, that is a sign of PB losing her place as a just ruler.

Also, the CB & FP relationship also shows what Finn SHOULD BE, but isn't. Compare how CB acts with FP to how Finn acted with Princess Bubblegum in Rattleballs. This could be Finn recognizing his flaws...

Finn: I'll agree that Finn is becoming a really cruddy character. But I'll give it time to see how the writers rebound

Jake: Who honestly cares if he isn't in every episode? I think it's fine, since this episode contained plot development

Pacing: Some of you are complaining that the show is moving to fast, but maybe it's because the show is winding down? There are a ton of arcs & backstories to discuss and wrap up. Maybe they are planning on making sure everything that needs to be explored has been explored before they call it quits?

Red Throne actually ranks in the season's top 5 for me, despite Finn.
    I say just wait for Betty next week, and see if it's better. Who knows?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I fully agree
    looking back at it, this may be one of my favorite episodes on the series

kid rabbit is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    red throne is overall a good story my only problem is Finn being the goat
    it's FP and CB"s story Finn seems to be the comic relief charter

Super Sonic is offline Fastest Thing Alive
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBeast View Post
    Un I don't why FP and CB even bothered getting to Finn help if CB was gonna do everything. I found this episode weak and disappointing, with both Finn and CinnamonBun's personalities off.
    I agree with you on the first point but I found Finn's behavior here to be a continuation of how he was in Too Old, with his morality being questionable, so I didn't find it strange at all. In any case it's been made clear that the Flame Princess breakup has continued to affect him in a negative way.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be fair, Finn getting over that would take some time, I knew that for a fact - but there is the risk it's taking too long (Which is the downside to Finn being like this... It's hurting his character as a whole.).
    Spoiler:

Super Sonic is offline Fastest Thing Alive
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The ShopSoldier View Post
    To be fair, Finn getting over that would take some time, I knew that for a fact - but there is the risk it's taking too long (Which is the downside to Finn being like this... It's hurting his character as a whole.).
    I actually like seeing Finn take the breakup so badly - my prediction is that stuff like that will shape his character a lot more as he matures and develops later on. He's learning from this, whether he's willing to admit it to himself or not. It's kinda like how I like seeing the amoral side to PB. This kind of thing with Finn would only be a major problem if FP was a major character in every (or even most) of the episodes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2