Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Now it's just like Nick at Nite (or whatever happened to that channel).
    FREE CARTOONS ARE A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT!

Kindness King is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    By all reports, CN/AS is using the new hour for that Rick and Morty Show and King of the Hill. The PTC can whine all they want to but fact is they're not putting anything at 8pm that's any more extreme than what airs currently on the broadcast stations.

I have to say people's reactions on this board are ridiculous. Adventure Time and Regular Show air at 7pm already, so it's likely that Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe will both scootched in with them at 7:30 and 7:45. They've done well on CN, so they're not getting canceled.

And Adult Swim is NOT going to expand to 7 or 6 o'clock. You can't use Jetix and Disney XD as a precedent for this.

Seriously, all that's going to happen if some of the Monday lineup will end up airing sooner, nothing is getting canceled for this. So what exactly is the problem? What difference did CN or AS having 9pm really make anyway? CN would have just used them for reruns for Adventure Time and/or Regular Show; all of you would just eventually complain about CN needing to air something different anyway.

And I'm not even going to dignify the ludicrous thought pattern of Western Animation somehow "dying" because of Cartoon Network giving Adult Swim one extra hour with a response.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRailroad8794 View Post
    I didn't read many of the comments; exactly what in the world is CN thinking? What a stupid idea even if it does give [adult swim] some undeserved ratings.

It's not stupid if AS has been doing well enough and if the advertisers are demanding it. Advertisers are the real customers of TV networks not the viewers.

And by what definition are their ratings "undeserved"? You not liking them?
    More harm has been done by people panicked over societal decline than societal decline ever did.

-xkcd.com

Snack Attack is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't watch TV that much anymore, but I sort of want to see how this plays out for the network ratings wise, with a four quarter-hour long block for premieres.

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindness King View Post
    By all reports, CN/AS is using the new hour for that Rick and Morty Show and King of the Hill.
    Or rather, King of the Hill and...King of the Hill. Or Family Guy. Or American Dad. Or The Cleveland Show. Or Bob's Burgers... See where I'm getting at here?

They're doing this to shove more Fox reruns down our throats. THAT'S the problem I have with this expansion.

They can't do Rick and Morty because it doesn't have enough episodes. Only six have aired so far, and by the time this new expansion comes along, only nine or ten episodes will have aired, and that's supposedly the number of episodes that have been picked up for this season.

Another problem with this expansion is that they can barely salvage enough programming for a 10-hour block. Heck, they barely do it with the 9-hour block they have now. It's really just half a block with an instant encore. A good chunk of it is overplayed Fox reruns, and they're just going to insert more without even picking up new shows.

DonkeyKongSong is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also, from what I heard, Rick and Morty actually does get pretty gruesome down the line, even moreso than Family Guy. That would be a terrible choice to air that early. King of the Hill by far is the best non-Toonami choice to air at 8pm.

Pac-Attack is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be fair, I don't really like most of [adult swim]'s shows that much, when I tune in to [as] it's usually for King of the Hill, Robot Chicken, Bob's Burgers, the occassional Toonami, Assy McGee, Space Ghost: CtC, and American Dad! While I like the Fox cartoons they air (except Family Guy and Cleveland), it's a waste for them to get another hour if they are just gonna be airing those shows, which is why many are complaining.
    "I got a crap on deck that could choke a donkey."

DonkeyKongSong is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac-Attack View Post
    To be fair, I don't really like most of [adult swim]'s shows that much, when I tune in to [as] it's usually for King of the Hill, Robot Chicken, Bob's Burgers, the occassional Toonami, Assy McGee, Space Ghost: CtC, and American Dad! While I like the Fox cartoons they air (except Family Guy and Cleveland), it's a waste for them to get another hour if they are just gonna be airing those shows, which is why many are complaining.
    With 259 episodes under its belt and no other cable network airing it, King of the Hill is sort of justified in this sense. I would have actually been excited for this had Turner/AS been able to get their hands on The Simpsons, but that didn't happen.

hobbyfan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not surprised that the Parents Television Council weighed in to do their usual whining. Heck, they've already shredded MacFarlane's shows enough times in first runs on Fox.

This is what happens when executives like Stuart Snyder pay more attention to ratings points & ad revenues. [adult swim]'s chief demographic is the core demo advertisers always want, 18-49. Snyder's preferred demo for CN is 6-14 year old boys, leaving 15-17 in limbo. At 16-17, you might start gravitating over to [as] with "safe" shows like the already overexposed Fox reruns (Family Guy also airs on TBS), and then, later on, move on to the raunchier shows.

Of course, there's always the option few have considered, and that would be using [as] to salvage Beware the Batman and other DC toons that Snyder has screwed over. However, that would be reserved for weekends.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindness King View Post
    It's not stupid if AS has been doing well enough and if the advertisers are demanding it. Advertisers are the real customers of TV networks not the viewers.

And by what definition are their ratings "undeserved"? You not liking them?
    It still sucks and seems rather pointless in the long-term. [adult swim] takes up an hour of CN's time as it is and for no reason other than FOX reruns; it already receives feasible ratings so why are they giving it yet another hour with nothing else to offer than the usual reruns?

No, even though [adult swim] has been bad for years now the reason I consider them undeserved is because it used to be so much better and this block that is a mere shell of its former self is being imposed further on the channel which does well enough without the extra time it has received yet is receiving more time.

Getouttamylab! is offline The ride of a lifetime
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like they're already making the transition. The other evening I was at a friend's house, and during the 8:00 hour as the Pizza Steve and Mr Gus block was winding down, there was an ad featuring a VERY scantily clad woman, prompting me to change the channel before the relatively young boys in the room saw it.
    And then my post was finished.

Kindness King is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
    Or rather, King of the Hill and...King of the Hill. Or Family Guy. Or American Dad. Or The Cleveland Show. Or Bob's Burgers... See where I'm getting at here?

They're doing this to shove more Fox reruns down our throats. THAT'S the problem I have with this expansion.

They can't do Rick and Morty because it doesn't have enough episodes. Only six have aired so far, and by the time this new expansion comes along, only nine or ten episodes will have aired, and that's supposedly the number of episodes that have been picked up for this season.

Another problem with this expansion is that they can barely salvage enough programming for a 10-hour block. Heck, they barely do it with the 9-hour block they have now. It's really just half a block with an instant encore. A good chunk of it is overplayed Fox reruns, and they're just going to insert more without even picking up new shows.

They get ratings, that's reason enough for them to air. Besides, are reruns of Adventure Time and Regular Show really any better? How about Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe? Or Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls? Reruns grow stale, no matter what show they are people get burned out on them at some point. Cartoon Network only ever used that hour for reruns and that's all they would ever do with it even if they kept 9pm. What does one hour in primetime on a basic cable channel even mean today when there's Hulu and Netflix and OnDemand?
    More harm has been done by people panicked over societal decline than societal decline ever did.

-xkcd.com

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post

The schedule has become mundane but mundane as it stands happens to get ratings.

I don't think people are even realizing the worst of it. While the promise of 10:30 being used for original series sounds like a step forward, if they are determined to encore everything but the 12:30-1AM slot (DVR theater airs instead of encores of that) then there will possibly be even less time devoted to original series. If 10:30 isn't originals except on Mondays then count on FOX from 8-12 with encores. In order to repeat all four hours you are taking 8 hours out of that 10. That means only 2 hours of original series will air on days other than Monday unless they do something other than encore everything except one half hour for DVR theater.

Disappointing Sunday may also lose original series time unless they don't run FOX shows for the entire first four hours.

Now I can't be the only one thinking that we ought to be getting more variety out of this and not less but that seems to be what's going to happen if they maintain airing encores of every FOX broadcast in the first half in the second half.

Hopefully they rotate original series fit for late prime time into 10:30 every weeknights and not just Monday. Then we at least don't lose any original series time on weekdays.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Donut View Post
    Now it's just like Nick at Nite (or whatever happened to that channel).
    You mean TV Land?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7