Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

I didn't enjoy this special as much as I had wanted to because the dialogue was so bad. The characters all spoke a hundred miles per minute consisting of mostly repeating themselves. The audience didn't need the Narrator to explain the Professor deducting Mojo's plan if the Professor himself was going to explain out loud minutes later. It all sounded as if the dance off idea came first and didn't NEARLY fulfill the 30-minute time slot, so the characters just spoke for the sake of killing time. It was like everyone spoke like a character from Speed Racer or like Mojo JoJo himself.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

rajzfilm is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, this special is terrible. The girls are out of character. Crying at the toy store, Bubbles acting loud, Buttercup being sentimental. The jokes are annoying, especially the Mayor's obsession with pickles. It's been done to death. There's no tension at all. Sadly this special doesn't even reach the level of the episodes after the art style change. It feels like the millionth bad episode with Mojo Jojo now.

I was pleasantly suprised by "Powerpuff Girls Rule". Any Powerpuff reboot should follow at least that direction, if not the 1998-2002 episodes.

SaneMan is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome special

Really love the new art

It really felt like an episode of the original series

RandomMe is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I LIKED this special! I post on the talkbacks very rarely (whether something airs before the US or when I want to watch something special, like this episode). Overall, it was very funny. I'm starting to like the new design.
    I've already seen the music video and the first few minutes (the preview), and now let me review it:
    -Bubbles gets hooked on Dance Pants Revolution that she forgets to do the "Team Broccolini" attack to help the Mayor reach his jar of pickles
    -Bubbles gets Dance Pants R-EVIL-ution, claiming that it was DPR 2, and turns into a dancing robot
    -Blossom and Buttercup get attacked as well, and turn into robots as well.
    -Fibonacci falling down the stairs, my favorite
    -Professor Utonium doesn't like dance because of Soul Hayride
    -The Mayor, Ms. Bellum and Utonium do dance movements, Mojo overloads the Powerpuffs and Professor Utonium gets a similar accident to what happened to him on Soul Hayride
    -The Powerpuffs are de-roboticized and Mojo makes the Powerpuffs go on Running Man for a long time.
    -Team Broccolini again, and then the softball plan, and Mojo is in jail... again.

DocForbin is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The special was OK though I felt it was kind of off due to the animation style used and Craig McCracken not being on board for this. What I would like to see is perhaps an Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy or Codename: Kids Next Door special (perhaps kind of following up from their respective last episodes). I'm kind of glad they brought back the original voice cast, though.

ILuvToons is offline Princess Twilight Sparkle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't really like this special. It doesn't live up to its predecessor, and there were some canonical errors, like Bubbles using ice breath. As aforementioned, it is too fast-paced, the girls would have a temper tantrum just to get a video game, it takes the girls one whole day and night just to come to an agreement, the Professor is a crybaby, something I don't think he ever was in the original series, the narrator talks when he shouldn't, not to mention the ending threw us for a loop at the end. Seriously, why does Mojo Jojo need a mathematician, an opera singer, and a badger, when all he wanted to do was to make a softball team!?
    If there were some things I liked, the animation wasn't that bad and Ringo does give a great performance, albeit limited. He should have had more screen time since he's the guest star. When it comes down to it, what was the point of this? I hope there's no reboot. I like The PowerPuff Girls as much as the next guy, but as Craig McCraken has said:

The Powerpuff Girls: Who, What, Where, How, Why... Who Cares (Part 4/4) - YouTube

Basically, all good things must come to an end, and if it isn't broke, don't fix it. That's my two cents.
    Cartoons then, cartoons now, cartoons forever!

"Sometimes seeing is believing. And sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."
    —Conductor, "The Polar Express"

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ya didn't care for this special. At best, story wise, i might say its an average episode of PPG, but i expect much more from a special. It was just very 'meh'. I might also say that getting rapped up in a video game seems more like buttercup's thing than bubbles. And something did feel off about making a story around DDR... in a way it feels like its trying to take advantage of a fad, but that fad isn't as popular as it once was. Personally i don't care about DDR, so having a special revolve around it just doesn't appeal to me much. It be fine if it was one episode of many, but not so much for a one-shot special. I guess it just bugs me that this TV special is written more like an average episode instead of a special... i mean just take for instance the 10th anniversary special; not only were the girl's trying to save the world, but it had the twist of letting mojo win and seeing what would actually happen; It felt like something different than the average episode... though even talking the special on its own, again, its just average. Not really bad, but not really good either.

Visually, I didn't like the animation; some of the dacning worked, but at other points it felt choppy and very pose to pose; sure looking back the old show did not have good animation either, but i find their problems A LOT less noticeable, like its not well animated, but it still feels nice to look at. Also the color pallet bugged me; like they added bloom to it or something that just dulled all the colors... very unappealing

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought that this special was okay. It felt like the girls were written out of character though. Throwing a temper tantrum, Bubbles getting so hooked on the DDR game, the girls being unable to get a pickle jar without Bubbles and taking so long to decide not to play the video game again, only to easily fall for Mojo's plan, didn't really seem right to me. I didn't even notice Bubbles having Ice Breath, although I did notice that Blossom had Fire breath at one point. I could deal with the Professor being sad a lot breaking the girls out of Mojo's control and having a dance off, but it did feel like it was too fast paced for its own good. The twist at the end also came a bit too sudden, but I guess that was part of the joke.

I did get used to most of the new designs and the voice acting was pretty solid, but it felt too much like a regular episode rather than a special. That's probably a big reason as to why I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Overall, it was an okay special. I wouldn't mind if they made another Powerpuff Girls series or special, as long as it was better than this one, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if that didn't happen either.

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvToons View Post

The Powerpuff Girls: Who, What, Where, How, Why... Who Cares (Part 4/4) - YouTube

Basically, all good things must come to an end, and if it isn't broke, don't fix it. That's my two cents.
    Seeing as I didn't give two cents about this special to begin with, as well as knowing it would be not well recieved - I'm inclined to agree with McCracken.

Now once and for all, may the PPGs R.I.P. like all good cartoons that end should! Thank you and goodnight, everyone!
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be fair, I've seen much worse fanart

Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Compared to some of the other fan art depicting sexualized versions of fictional characters that I've seen, that cover is actually pretty tame.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Taking time out yesterday to look at this - I've seen worse representations of the PPG in comparison, I can't say I'm fazed. more like surprised there's anger at this when such anger should be directed at the worse artwork for these characters out there, don't you think?
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly, we don't even nee to go into the realms of fanart
    (and honestly, getting angry over fanart is pretty pointless)

Spoiler:

Considering the sort of stuff mainstream publishers use for official covers, that PPG cover is downright chaste

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't see what the comic cover has anything to do with this special. If you want to discuss the cover and whether or not its tame compared to fanart and other comic book covers, please take it to the Comic Book section instead of this thread. Please get back on topic and discuss this special. Thank you.

Pac-Attack is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This special was a lot better than I expected it to be, it felt like a really good post-2002 episode with different art. I wonder what the credits song was though.
    "I got a crap on deck that could choke a donkey."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked this special. It wasn't as good as the pre-movie Powerpuff Girls episodes, but it was more enjoyable than the pre-movie ones. My only complaint is the horrible CG animation. It's cool to see one of my favorite shows getting revived for a special once again.

Go visit my new blog, Cartoon Central for reviews, games, fun and more!

adventuretimer1 is offline Ultimate Adventure Time Fan!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This special realllllyyyy disappointed me. It was WAY too fast and the plot was really bland and ultimately stupid. Though it was nice to hear all of the original voice actor/actresses again, but they did nothing to help the crappiness of this. The animation was so angular and bright that the characters looked like walking cardboard pieces with an eternal sun beating down on them. Granted, McCracken had nothing to do with this beyond giving the "ok" to do this, but the creators of this special really could have attempted to make a better plot for a 30 minute special.

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You know after the movie it seemed like the original series became fairly neutered. Not just with the far weaker more annoying sitcomy plots but the action itself. I don't know if it was complaints from the network or the team wanting to do easier comedy stories that were more formulaic and thus didn't utilize the girls as well, but it was notably a downgrade in a lot of the season 5-6 episodes. Powerpuff Girls Rule did do a little better with that but this does feel like more of an attempt to go back to that (which is weird especially now that CN can do PG ratings and thus you'd think would able to show or go with more if not the same it could before) which does hamper things. To be fair unlike a lot of the season 5-6 episodes this wasn't an overly stupid stretched out joke sitcom trope plot and as others have said though this is fast paced, it's not nearly as much as Powerpuff Girls Rule. (Kind of weird that the specials after the show were so fast paced when honestly the show itself suffered from slower past then a quicker pace in it's run). And hey there is actual fighting and super heroics even if the action doesn't have too satisfying a crunch. Though speaking of the plot, though people have brought up why did Bubbles use ice breath instead of Blossom, something that bothered me more was the Professor's backstory. You know this special saying he only came to Townsville because of the Hayride series and only became a scientist when his dancing was dubbed lame and he met up with various famious intellectuals. Pretty sure episodes like "Get Back Jojo" and "Knock If Off" established that the Professor got into science in Townsville when he was younger and was a native inhabitant of the city. And since this isn't a Teen Titans Go that is obviously a different show altogether then it's original as this special is still part of the original canon, is a pretty big incontinuity. To be fair, the original series did that too but this is a rather large noteable goof.

Still I thought the special was alright for what it was which was a celebration of CN's biggest series. Honestly I have to wonder even how they were able to make this considering CN has been quoted as saying not caring about female viewers and though PPG has quite a large guy fanbase, it does skew more for the laides, especially with this kind of look. I think besides this just being their biggest series, when the team were able to get Ringo Starr aboard CN had to relent and get them their special and glad they did since it was nice just hearing the voices and scenarios pop up like this. And there were some good jokes like the girls trashing to get the Professor to get the game (I can see why some would say that's out of character but eh, sometimes the girls can be spoiled brats when it come to wanting certain toys. Remember when they were fine letting the professor sleepwalk and steal toys for them in an early season 3 episode), Buttercup instantly hating the dance game, the girls not helping the Mayor get his pickle jar even when they're floating right next to it, Blossom and Buttercup having a meeting with Bubbles to get over her obsession, Mojo Jojo hiding in various spaces throughout the house and hurting himself when he tried hanging upside down, the professor realizing he forgot to save the three the girls took away, and a lot of the general dance battles were actually good, even though I wish they also didn't serve as most of the fight scenes. Plus yeah even for PPG pretty random ending but still amusing line by Mojo about wanting to be let out of jail before their next game. And honestly the style also grew on me after awhile. Reminds me of the ads they'd have of the older CN shows done in different styles (remember Ed Edd n eddy's "Incredible Shrinking Day?" or they might be Giant's "Courage the Cowardly Dog" song?). Honestly though I hope we do get a special at some point in the future with McCracken back. Doubtful at this point but honestly since they are his creation I'd like him to be the one to have the last say on the girl's final adventure.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thought the special was okay-ish. The new animation style doesn't bug me that much, but I do wish Townsville looked a little less...drained of color (it's like playing Crash Bandicoot 3, then looking at The Wrath of Cortex). I actually think The PowerPuff Girls Rule! was better than this, but in all fairness, I don't think The PowerPuff Girls as a whole has aged exceedingly well (in both animation and plots), so I think I might need a stronger effort to bring in GOOD modern tropes to the series if it's ever revived. By the way, how'd this special do in ratings?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2