Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    cuzin34 is offline @AsapCuzin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Paul Dini on Cartoon Network's Programming Decisions and Why Boy Viewers Are Valued Over Girls

Like This Thread!
    IGN article

Fatman Podcast

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."
    SMITH: "WHY? That's 51% of the population."
    DINI: "They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—"
    SMITH: "So you can sell them T-shirts if they don't—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don't be lazy and be like, 'well I can't sell a girl a toy.' Sell 'em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it's not a toy, there's something else you could sell 'em! Like, just because you can't figure out your job, don't kill chances of, like, something that's gonna reach an audi—that's just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same f***ers who go, like, 'Oh, girls don't read comics, girls aren't into comics.' It's all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, 'I can't sell 'em a toy, what's the point?'
    DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—'and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"
    SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."
    DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they but the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"
    Add me on Xbox live paulpi3rce34.

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Gatordragon is online now COME TO MY ROOM
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Man, and I thought girls were supposed to be boy crazy.

The executives need to change their thinking. They're ignoring a huge chunk of potential viewers because of their narrow mindedness. Just think at how many viewers they can get if they appealed to both boys and girls.

And what's with all this toy stuff? Is that really the only thing they can sell to people? I never understood that. Clothes sound like a great thing to sell. Heck, I see people wearing Adventure Time and Regular Show shirts and hats on my campus all the time. Clothes are a much more general appeal than toys anyway.

Care to enter The Witch's House?

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I try to make sense of the business side when it comes to TV animation, but it's downright idiotic for them to completely ignore the value of a female audience. These guys are supposed to maximize profits, yet they insist on ignoring half of the population!

The Talon is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why don't they just make......toys based on a cartoon, aimed towards girls?

Pac-Attack is offline Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, just, this is just, I mean.......oh nevermind.

ILDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is why I'm rooting for Daron Nefcy, Star and the Forces of Evil, and Disney Channel:

“At the time I was pitching [the show], most networks were not interested in a cartoon with a female lead. Luckily, Disney was open and excited about the idea!”

Silverstar is offline Pac It Up!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I usually try to understand how the animation industry works from the business perspective, but this current mindset that CN and others are on right now is so stupid it's disheartening, especially for someone like me, who works predominantly with female leads in my show ideas. Why is it such a bad thing to try appeal to as many viewers as possible, as opposed to just one half of them? And how do these guys know that "girls only buy princesses" when they don't try to sell them anything else? Is it really that girls only buy princesses and pink stuff, or is it that they simply don't have any other choice than to buy pink and princess stuff 'cause that's the only way they get to be represented? It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And it's not just action cartoons that could use some gender diversity; comedy cartoons too are largely male dominated. There aren't a whole lot of female characters in comedy cartoons who aren't just sidekicks, annoyances, crushes, boring voices of reason or tokens. Would it really be a bad thing to see a Phineas & Ferb or Amazing World of Gumball type comedy cartoon with female leads? I personally think that would be neat to see.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Jazz1000 is offline Playing it Cool, bro!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ... wow this is really a bit... ya
    But what's wrong with girls can't play action figures or anything that's wrong with toys? These day televisions manly target on boys =/ but some are characters part of a show girls but they can't have toys? That's ridiculous
    Last edited by Jazz1000; 02-12-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This news has spread across the net, even making the TAG Blog, where the head of the site had this to say.

Come on, Paul. Let's get real. This isn't about the audience, per se. It's about how many plastic knick-knacks get moved off the shelves of your neighborhood Wal-Mart.

And if that doesn't suit your artistic sensibility, well too freaking bad. We're living in 21st century America, pally. And what counts is cash flow. The girls don't run out and buy the right kinds of junk, so the girls are fungible.

The sooner you get that through your head, the better off you'll be. It's a boys' club, after all.
    Stuff like this is very discouraging.

Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast