Episode 72

The Sweaters
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 7:30 PM
    repeats
    THURSDAY at 6:30 AM
    FRIDAY at 8:15 PM

This week...
    While helping out a new student, Darwin and Gumball find themselves harassed by some out-of-towners.

Sorry I didn't make this thread earlier. I haven't been able to stay up 'til midnight as of late. At any rate, for those who have seen the preview, do you have any idea what it's parodying? It feels like it's parodying something very specific, but I can't quite figure it out. My knowledge of these things is somewhat limited.
    Watch The Amazing World Of Gumball on Cartoon Network!
    Follow Ben Bocquelet on twitter!
    Like The Amazing World Of Gumball on facebook!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Wikia is saying this:
    -This is apparently James Lamont's favorite episode.
    -This is one of Ben Bocquelet's favorite episodes.
    (...)
    -The human characters are designed like 70s/80s cartoon characters, primarily from shows by Filmation. While their mannerisms are similar to vintage anime's such as Speed Racer, along with the use of limited and choppy looking animation.
    It's also my favorite episode! Completely my kind of humour.

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw that, but I don't think you can use such a broad brush when calling something a parody. It seems to be parodying something specific, especially with the characters wearing so many sweaters. The sweaters seem to be the focal point, since it's the episode's titles as well. But I can't figure it out.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Maybe they just refer to people in their midlife crisis? Lately, those people always tie their sweaters on either their shoulders or their hips, but they NEVER wear them.

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Humans on Gumball. I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe they'll end up being robots or holograms or something. Also, I don't count the live-action humans they've shown on TV/Internet and such.

As for a specific parody, I don't know. When I saw them I just thought of Fred from Scooby Doo, and that Tad guy in that "Asspen" episode of South Park. Just seem like stereotypical rich jerks.

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The best part was seeing Gumball and Darwin not giving in into the craziness going on around them. A weird yet silly, fun episode.
    I gotta admit it was cool seeing human characters on this show.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The show's staff love this episode. I thought it was fun, but I still don't get it. I don't get what it was parodying and I don't get the deal with the sweaters. If I don't get it, I'm sure children won't either. At least the episode was very fun even on its own merits.

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The plot generally seem like a parody of 80s sport and martial-arts movies

just look-up stuff like Karate Kid, Sidekicks, Ski School, Hot Dog the Movie, No Retreat-No Surrender (better known as Karate Tiger), and you'll find an almost identical plot

I'd also suggest watching the South Park episode "Asspen" which has parodies the same kind of movies as well (it's in fact VERY similar to this episode, including the protagonist's reaction)

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, this was pretty much a pastiche of "Asspen" from season 6 of South Park. That episode was funnier, but this was still pretty good. I loved how the rich kids would always pose in some "hardcore" way. And it's not supposed to be anything specific that they're making fun of, just the kind of 80s rich-kid jerks you see in movies like that. The only thing missing was a "training montage". And A-ha!

InvaderZIM is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Somewhere during the tennis scene, the katakana characters for "Te-ni-su" (which translates to "Tennis" lol) can be seen. I dunno if that's a clue to what they're referencing or anything, like maybe an anime? Also, it's right next to a "Richwood FTW" sign :3

Doguineta is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so happy to hear this is one of the crew's favorite episodes, as this is definitely my favorite episode of Gumball yet. Everything from the humans to Gumball & Darwin wanting nothing to with it was hilarious, I found myself having to pause the episode a lot cause I couldn't stop laughing.

Everything about the humans was top notch; the unexpected use of them, how over the top they were, how they looked like Archie comics characters, how they were animated...

I just lost it in this episode. Kudos, Gumball crew.
    Nothing to see here, just keep on with what you were doing...

Gatordragon is offline El Zombino - level 1
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well burn my biscuits, this episode was hilarious! I didn't get to see it Tuesday, but I watched a rerun today.

Those radical preppies may be human, but they seem more inhuman than most of the characters in the show in how they act. The way they're animated is funny; like they came out of a cheaply animated eighties cartoon.

That coach was a hilarious man-child. I laughed hard at that scene. Gumball and Darwin are acting uncharacteristically mellow and indifferent.

Haha, Mr. Small tried to massage Gumball's buttcheeks and Gumball was like "Thank you, but no thank you".

This episode had to be the weirdest one yet; even moreso than The Job. Like other people said, it was very similar to that South Park episode, but I still enjoyed it.

El Zombino of the Huracan clan from Urban Rivals

For little brother, Jorgito, life is above all a tale of opportunities. So what better time to put this to the test than during the Festival of the Dead in Los Santos? Jorgito and his sister have concluded that, OK, you may not be able to negotiate with death, but you can make some damn good money out of it!

Master Toon is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So this was an 80's parody and an anime parody all in one?

Pretty funny. Did the other school's coach remind anyone else of The Venture Brothers character Shore Leave?

Kaljinyu is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    Yes, this was pretty much a pastiche of "Asspen" from season 6 of South Park.
    That was the point of all the sweaters if anyone didn't get it. They were supposed to be rich guy preparatory bullies. The kind you see in 80's movies where the scrappy young hero Karate Kid's his way to some kind of victory, which Asspen was also a parody of, in case you've never seen Asspen.

This was also probably one of my favorite episodes. I love pretty much every episode of Gumball, but I thought only the particularly epic ones, like The Job and The Game would really resonate with me. This one (and probably The Tape) were, for me, on the same level as The Job and The Game.

I'm a little worried that this is the crew's favorite episode. Usually when the crew of a show picks a favorite episode, that's saying "This is the best the series has to offer." And that episode sure did feel like the best, but now I'm worried, will any episode be as good as The Sweaters?

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaljinyu View Post
    I'm a little worried that this is the crew's favorite episode. Usually when the crew of a show picks a favorite episode, that's saying "This is the best the series has to offer." And that episode sure did feel like the best, but now I'm worried, will any episode be as good as The Sweaters?
    I think there will be. The episode was a lot of fun, but I don't think it's the best episode. They'll at least try to top this episode or try to bring those hardcore kids back in a future episode in an attempt to repeat past success.

Conroy reviews Family Guy
    (Last episode)