Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

CN Talkback: Pokemon BW Adventures In Unova And Beyond: "The Journalist From Another Region!" [10/12]

Like This Thread!

Join Ash, Pikachu and all of their friends as they prepare for the Unova League and then even more adventures through the Unova region.

Recently:
    After battling with Reshiram, Ash and his friends were able to free it from Team Plasma's control.
    Team Plasma was arrested and N decided to travel with Anthea and Concordia.
    Ash and his friends decide to leave for the Kanto region and begin their travels through the Decolore Islands.
    Ash and his friends run into Professor Oak and he captures a Rotom for his research.

Last Time:
    "Capaci Island UFO!"
    Continuing on their journey, Ash and his friends come across what appears to be an Amulet Coin among what looks to be a broken flying saucer. As soon as they pick it up, a group of Beheeyem appear and affect the nearby town with a condition. Only Ash and Team Rocket are unaffected. Can Ash and Team Rocket put their differences aside to help save everyone?

This Time:
    "The Journalist From Another Region!"
    Saturday, October, 12th, 8:30am Eastern
    Encore: Sunday, October, 20th, 8:30am Eastern
    As they continue on with their journey, Ash and his friends meet with a journalist from the faraway Kalos region, as well as a couple of new Pokemon they've never seen before. She invites them to the Decolore Islands’ Grand Harvest Festival where Ash and Pignite decide to join in the Pokemon Sumo competition. Will Ash and Pignite win this competition?

Notes:
    The 16th season of Pokemon is here to finish promoting the fifth generation.
    Pokemon X and Y are released today!
    A distribution for a special Torchic will start on October 12th.
    A new series called Pocket Monsters XY will air on October 17th in Japan and Ash will, of course, still be the main lead.
    Serena, Clemont and Bonnie are also confirmed to be cast members in the new XY series.
    Cartoon Network will air Genesect and the Legend Awaken on October 19th.
    Right after the movie, they will air the first two episodes of Pokemon XY as a sneak peek.
    Pokemon The Origin will be dubbed as Pokemon Origins and be released on Pokemon.com starting on November 15th.
    Re-runs of Pokemon BW Rival Destinies are now on weekdays at 8:00am with premier episodes now starting at 8:30am.
    Please stay on topic when discussing the episode and do not focus on any kind of edits.
    Please don't discuss the new video games, the new series or the dub for the new XY series here. Take those discussions to the Video Game and Anime sections respectively.
    Please avoid using spoilers, including vague ones, in these talkbacks. Thank you.
    Also, with the sneak peek of XY airing in two weeks, should I make two episode talkback threads, or just one special event thread and save the episode talkbacks for when the series premieres proper? I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...Wouldn't Charizard have been a better choice? Also, what is it with this show always portraying Ursaring so intimidatingly and as a bad guy? It was understandable at first because it IS a bear, but in a lot of recent episodes, whenever they show any pissed off pokemon, it's always an Ursaring.

I'm also glad Alexa wasn't an (immediate) ambassador from Kalos whose only purpose was to toot the region's horn to inspire Ash.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

Lerkero is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The way Pignite won was cool, but I'm still not gonna ignore the fact that Pignite didn't evolve during the series. Ash always tends to win with weaker Pokemon. I don't care how much friendship you have with your Pokemon, natural strength should be taken into account too. I hope that now Black and White is done being the soft reset for the series Ash gets stronger Pokemon not meant to just appeal to a novice audience.

The side story with the bully/jerk was wrapped up pretty quick too. I know it's just a kid's show, but in real life jerks don't typically become nice people all of a sudden. He was a filler character though so there wasn't a need to dwell on it for too long.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought that this was a pretty decent episode. It was really cool to see Alexa and her Pokemon from the Kalos region. Helioptile was cute and Gogoat was pretty cool. Despite the title, Alexa didn't get much focus after she explained what she did as a Pokemon Journalist. The history behind the Pokemon Sumo competition was fairly interesting and I liked the bit of continuity with Ash saying that he did enter a different Pokemon Sumo competition before. I hadn't considered Ash using Charizard, but he does tend to win competitions with a bit of a disadvantage. Iris and Cilan lost instantly, which made their inclusion in the tournament unnecessary. Dragonite didn't even look disappointed for disqualifying itself and Iris didn't freak out over Beartic, but her fear of Ice type is annoyingly inconsistent. Team Rocket blasted off so quickly that their inclusion also felt unnecessary.

Ash and the bully growing to respect each other through their match wasn't too surprising, although I agree that it was resolved a bit too quickly. Giving out the berries after they won was nice though. Alexa joining up with the cast does provide a nice bit of X/Y promotion during the last stretch of BW, as well as provide more buildup for Ash's inevitable interest in the Kalos region by seeing some new Pokemon. Overall, it was a pretty decent episode. I hope that next week's episode will be fun to watch as well.

PokemonTVDub is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Speaking of promotion, did Cartoon Network air any promos for the Genesect Movie or Pokémon the Series: XY during today's episode since they're both airing next week?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTVDub View Post
    Speaking of promotion, did Cartoon Network air any promos for the Genesect Movie or Pokémon the Series: XY during today's episode since they're both airing next week?
    Yes, they aired a full commercial for it during the break, plus a little bumper tag thing in the corner near the end of the episode. I didn't watch any other shows after Pokemon, so I don't know if they showed it again or not, but seeing as how CN has a tendency to only tell you about Pokemon-related goods when the show is ON, I highly doubt they did. Also, sorry if the quote may look weird.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

PokemonTVDub is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darissa Townes View Post
    Plus a little bumper tag thing in the corner near the end of the episode.
    Really? At exactly what point? I can't see it from my recording.

DonkeyKongSong is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also, with the sneak peek of XY airing in two weeks, should I make two episode talkback threads, or just one special event thread and save the episode talkbacks for when the series premieres proper? I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter.

I say make two talkback threads. When Green Lantern and Young Justice aired their sneak peeks, there was a talkback thread for them that got bumped/stickied when the episodes aired proper. We might do the same here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSong View Post
    I say make two talkback threads. When Green Lantern and Young Justice aired their sneak peeks, there was a talkback thread for them that got bumped/stickied when the episodes aired proper. We might do the same here.[/COLOR]
    That could work. Considering that the series might premiere proper as early as December, it might be better to just bump the threads with the usual talkback post. I've been leading towards going that direction and I'll probably do it when making the talkback threads for this week's episode.

NovelleX is offline "Something did die. Gumball."
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How do we know that the series won't start up at episode 3 once December comes along?

Either way, Saturday is going to be a hectic morning. There's a normal episode in the morning, the movie in the afternoon, and then the two XY episodes following it. Talkback thread organization will be outrageous.
    That one show about that one cat that did that one thing that involved doing some things that he wouldn't normally do or should be doing but he did it anyway for laughs?

You know what that thing did? It spawned a lot of naughty internet things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NovelleX View Post
    How do we know that the series won't start up at episode 3 once December comes along?
    Because they've clearly labeled these two episodes of XY as a sneak peek, not the series premiere. They wouldn't just skip the first two episodes of the new series after BW ends just to get to the third episode. Not everyone in the target audience may be able to see the sneak peek airing either. Besides that, they aired the first three episodes of DP as a sneak peek if I recall correctly when D/P were released and they still aired them when the series premiered proper. It also doesn't seem like a good idea to skip the first two episodes regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by NovelleX
    Either way, Saturday is going to be a hectic morning. There's a normal episode in the morning, the movie in the afternoon, and then the two XY episodes following it. Talkback thread organization will be outrageous.
    There will be a lot of Pokemon on Saturday, which will be awesome.

In retrospect, despite the title referring to her and the fact that she brings the first two Kalos Pokemon in the anime, this episode really didn't focus much on Alexa. Once they got into the Pokemon Sumo competition, she was pretty much in the background and even before that, they just focused on her work as a Pokemon Journalist. It's a bit of an odd choice for someone who temporarily joins the group, even if she is just a walking advertisement for X/Y.

NovelleX is offline "Something did die. Gumball."
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    There will be a lot of Pokemon on Saturday, which will be awesome.
    In addition to your talkback thread predicament, I would suggest making the usual BW thread (which is unrelated to the movie/XY event later in the day.) and then create a thread dedicated to both the movie and sneak peeks.

As for me and the episode three business, that's more of wishful thinking on my part that we don't fall too far behind on Japan airings again, which is what reels in impatient people into subs than dubs. Personally in December, I'd like it if they'd re-run the first two episodes, and then a third one afterward just to keep up. But that just seems too pipe dreamish to be true.
    That one show about that one cat that did that one thing that involved doing some things that he wouldn't normally do or should be doing but he did it anyway for laughs?

You know what that thing did? It spawned a lot of naughty internet things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NovelleX View Post
    In addition to your talkback thread predicament, I would suggest making the usual BW thread (which is unrelated to the movie/XY event later in the day.) and then create a thread dedicated to both the movie and sneak peeks.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I think that there is enough in both the movie and sneak peeks to warrant giving them individual threads. Otherwise, I think that the thread would be a bit too crowded. At most, I would create just one thread for the sneak peek instead of two for the individual episodes, but I most likely won't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by NovelleX
    As for me and the episode three business, that's more of wishful thinking on my part that we don't fall too far behind on Japan airings again, which is what reels in impatient people into subs than dubs. Personally in December, I'd like it if they'd re-run the first two episodes, and then a third one afterward just to keep up. But that just seems too pipe dreamish to be true.
    It's not like the gap is currently that big or that it would get significantly bigger if they didn't go straight to the third episode in December after BW finishes up. The people who would go for the subs than the dubs because they're impatient aren't really in the target demographic anyway and I highly doubt that Cartoon Network/TPCI care about appealing to them that much, so I don't think that's much of an issue. I could see them airing the first two episodes together again in December, but most likely would wait until the following week to air the third episode since I don't know if Cartoon Network would want Pokemon to take up three slots on their Saturday morning lineup. Either way, I don't think it's going to make the gap significantly bigger, especially when it's already pretty small as it is. If the gap was more like how it was back when 4Kids was dubbing the show, I could understand this concern more as the gap was about a year's worth of episodes. But now the gap is about ten episodes, including the two XY episodes airing later this week. I don't think we need to worry about the gap at this point.