Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by brickrrb2 View Post
    Use Better animators, Don't Be so cheap. Use Show ideas that are actually Worth a Crap! Ditch all boring shows (Regular Show Adventure time) Ditch disturbing shows, (Uncle Grandpa) Bring back the multi charactrer bumpers, Lose all Live action Shows and Those two morons in the C and N Box suits
    Adventure Time and Regular Show are presently among the network's most popular and highest rated shows, so axing them at the height of their popularity would be ratings suicide. Also, you're of course entitled to your own opinion, but just because you personally don't care for these shows doesn't mean that they're "not worth a crap", and disliking them alone isn't a good reason to want them gone, especially when it's coming from someone who is outside of the channel's target demographic. And could you give some examples of Cartoon Network hiring "cheap" animators? Because I don't know what you're referring to specifically.
    Last edited by Goldstar Neo; 09-15-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

brickrrb2 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But don't we also want to restore Cartoon Network to the Days of Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab and Megas XLR so that future generations may enjoy it.

Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    But don't we also want to restore Cartoon Network to the Days of Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab and Megas XLR so that future generations may enjoy it.
    Not me personally. I did enjoy those shows, but realistically, CN can't just stay locked in a single era forever. CN would have zero chance of evolving and surviving in today's market by just filling it's time slots with shows that have been run many, many times before and can be watched by virtually anyone online or on home video. In order for the channel to succeed and prosper, new material is necessary. Those shows had their time, and nowadays fans can watch them on iTunes, Hulu and on DVD for under $25. Just bringing the old shows back wouldn't be improving the channel. Regression isn't the answer.

A better idea would be for CN to produce some new and original series that have the same level of heart and creativity of the shows from 15-20 years ago.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

brickrrb2 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But based on what some people tell a lot of animators don't wanna risk slapstick anymore

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackstar View Post

Not me personally. I did enjoy those shows, but realistically, CN can't just stay locked in a single era forever. CN would have zero chance of evolving and surviving in today's market by just filling it's time slots with shows that have been run many, many times before and can be watched by virtually anyone online or on home video. In order for the channel to succeed and prosper, new material is necessary. Those shows had their time, and nowadays fans can watch them on iTunes, Hulu and on DVD for under $25. Just bringing the old shows back wouldn't be improving the channel. Regression isn't the answer.

A better idea would be for CN to produce some new and original series that have the same level of heart and creativity of the shows from 15-20 years ago.
    Thank you, this actually leads me to another point of how CN could improve their product, home media releases.

To date, the only Cartoon Network show that has its complete series on DVD is the PPG and there is really something wrong with that. While there are various outlets in which to catch the Cartoon Cartoons, it's still difficult to find them in their entirety, much less in good quality and the fact that there are countless people who talk fondly of these shows today and have to go out of their way to see them is extremely bad PR.

Take EEnE for example, the show is CN's longest running series and one of the longest running animated series which in addition to casual fans, has probably the largest cult following of all the Cartoon Cartoons even 4 years since the show's TV run has ended. Thus far only the first 2 seasons have been released on DVD with the last release taking place back in 2007 (6 years ago!) and though the show gets some airplay on the channel, it's only the episodes of the first 2 seasons that are featured (this same problem exists on Netflix as well), there is also Youtube but I'm one of those people who have to own a hard copy and ultimately, it's better that way.

Unfortunately, Warner Bros. is the network's source of distribution and with all the movies and shows to the Warner name, cartoons are the lowest on the totem pole and are forced to take a back seat to the abundant flow of mainstream cinema that WB has to handle. I would always like for WB to get their act together and have more of an open mind but at the same time, CN could invest in their own media distributor or sign a deal with another like Shout! Factory. Either way, there are millions of disgruntled, pissed off fans (I'm one of them) who are wondering why their favorite shows aren't readily available to watch from their living room library. That needs to change.

Silverstar is offline Delightfully Dotty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But based on what some people tell a lot of animators don't wanna risk slapstick anymore
    Perhaps you could cite a source for this, because I haven't heard anything like that, and animators aren't the ones who approve shows. Anyway, the shows CN greenlights don't have to be slapstick; they just have to be shows that kids enjoy. And by kids I mean people who are kids now, not who were kids 20 years ago.

CN's current cartoons may not be to your personal liking, but the thing to keep in mind is that CN isn't for people our age; it's aimed at children aged 5 to 13. If you're over 20 years old, it's kind of weird to expect a channel aimed at children to meet your personal standards. You may not like what's on Cartoon Network right now, but kids do, and they're the audience at present, not us. Which is not to say that the CN shows we were fond of can't be shown at all on the network, just not during the peak viewing hours where the ratings are most vital. New shows are needed for that.

You're entitled to your personal preferences, but we can't force our childhood memories onto today's kids. They have to be allowed to form their own.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 09-16-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

Red Arrow :D is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    @GPRailroad8794: Yes! And they should bring those DVD's to the Benelux! The list of Dutch DVD releases is even more pethatic than the American one.

And this may be a bit off-topic, but I think some European feeds are pretty fed up with how CN USA handled their action shows. CN Europe can't survive with comedy only, and now both YJ and GL:TAS will end their run, they need new shows to air. (Because Ben 10 and Dragons are not enough, of course ) That's why they acquired Transformers Prime, Gormiti Nature Unleashed and Xiaolin Chronicles. And they still rerun Teen Titans, Star Wars The Clone Wars, Sym-Bionic Titan and/or Generator Rex.

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Arrow :D View Post
    @GPRailroad8794: Yes! And they should bring those DVD's to the Benelux! The list of Dutch DVD releases is even more pethatic than the American one.

And this may be a bit off-topic, but I think some European feeds are pretty fed up with how CN USA handled their action shows. CN Europe can't survive with comedy only, and now both YJ and GL:TAS will end their run, they need new shows to air. (Because Ben 10 and Dragons are not enough, of course ) That's why they acquired Transformers Prime, Gormiti Nature Unleashed and Xiaolin Chronicles. And they still rerun Teen Titans, Star Wars The Clone Wars, Sym-Bionic Titan and/or Generator Rex.
    Unless there is hope for a European version of Toonami (the channel, like in Asia).
    And they shouldn't bring those DVDs not only to the Benelux, but for the whole of Europe!

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Adult Swim is commonly in the Top 3 for prime time among adults 18-34 (sometimes #1) and usually in the top 5 for adults 18-49 prime time as well. Giving up 9PM would mean they'd only have 10PM for prime time ratings which I don't believe is enough to be counted. King of the Hill averages about 1 million viewers in the 9PM hour give or take so the 1.5 to 1.9 million American Dad brings in at 10PM on weeknights is the more significant reason why Adult Swim does that well in prime time but very soon The Cleveland Show is taking 9:30PM which means their prime time ratings are about to get a nice bump.

Here's a comparison of Adult Swim's 9PM hour to the lead-in on CN for the past two weeks.

Mon 8:30 - MAD - 1,624,000
    Mon 8:45 - Uncle Grandpa - 1,396,000
    Tue 8:30 - Adventure Time - 1,106,000
    Wed 8:30 - Uncle Grandpa - 880,000
    Thu 8:30 - Regular Show - 967,000
    Fri 8:30 - Yoda Chronicles - 1,042,000
    Sat 7:00 - Diary of a Wimpy Kid - 1,582,000
    Sun 8:30 - MAD - 1,068,000
    Sun 8:45 - Orange - 852,000

Mon 9:00 - KOTH - 1,120,000
    Mon 9:30 - KOTH - 1,188,000
    Tue 9:00 - KOTH - 1,147,000
    Tue 9:30 - KOTH - 1,167,000
    Wed 9:00 - KOTH - 847,000
    Wed 9:30 - KOTH - 1,084,000
    Thu 9:00 - KOTH - 1,021,000
    Thu 9:30 - KOTH - 1,113,000
    Fri 9:00 - KOTH - 867,000
    Fri 9:30 - KOTH - 948,000
    Sat 9:00 - KOTH - 797,000
    Sat 9:30 - American Dad - 1,294,000
    Sun 9:00 - KOTH - 850,000
    Sun 9:30 - KOTH - 1,032,000

Mon 8:30 - MAD - 1,162,000
    Mon 8:45 - Orange - 917,000
    Tue 8:30 - Adventure Time - 1,129,000
    Wed 8:30 - Teen Titans Go - 961,000
    Thu 8:30 - Regular Show - 890,000
    Fri 8:00 - Cartoon Planet - 842,000
    Sat 7:00 - Smurfs (2011) - 2,485,000
    Sun 8:30 - Looney Tunes Show - 1,555,000

Mon 9:00 - KOTH - 1,280,000
    Mon 9:30 - KOTH - 1,275,000
    Tue 9:00 - KOTH - 982,000
    Tue 9:30 - KOTH - 1,406,000
    Wed 9:00 - KOTH - 1,025,000
    Wed 9:30 - KOTH - 1,201,000
    Thu 9:00 - KOTH - 980,000
    Thu 9:30 - KOTH - 1,260,000
    Fri 9:00 - KOTH - 884,000
    Fri 9:30 - KOTH - 952,000
    Sat 9:00 - KOTH - 1,326,000
    Sat 9:30 - American Dad - 1,
    Sun 9:00 - Cleveland - 1,485,000
    Sun 9:30 - Family Guy - 1,757,000

Judging by this, giving CN back Friday and Saturday until 10PM is do-able. Friday doesn't exactly do great for CN but the 9PM hour of King of the Hill doesn't do that well on Friday either so that's not a bad trade. Saturday fluctuates quite a bit but the movie CN airs at 7PM can affect Adult Swim so if they put their own shows after that movie instead they could likely do as well or better than King of the Hill does at 9PM on Saturday.

Cleveland at 9:30PM on every night could be a game changer though, I'm curious how it will do at 9:30 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in particular.

As long as the FOX shows are taking up 9PM-11PM, Adult Swim is not losing those hours and based on 8:30PM's ratings it doesn't look like CN would do that well in the 9PM hour most nights. I'm for giving CN until 10PM on Friday and Saturday but anything beyond that is asking them to take a ratings hit for no good reason. If Adult Swim did not have FOX reruns for their ratings they probably wouldn't start until 11PM any night of the week but until the day comes when they don't have those FOX shows to run in prime time, they're keeping those hours because it's much more profitable to target adults for ad revenue at 9PM.

As for what I'd suggest CN do:

Fill Monday and Tuesday with comedy premieres, Wednesday and Thursday with action premieres (that can include TTG as part of DC Nation in prime time as well as Dragons), Friday is comedy encores and Saturday and Sunday are still movies.

With what they have now

Monday - Adventure Time - Regular Show - Uncle Grandpa - MAD
    Tuesday - Johnny Test - Total Drama - Gumball - Annoying Orange
    Wednesday - Dragons - Ben 10 - Teen Titans Go - Beware the Batman
    Thursday - Legends of Chima - Beyblade - Pokemon - Tenkai Knights

Give all of that promotion in some manner. The more the better.

Ideally I'd like a daily action block but with what they currently have I guess it's fine that it's just on weekday mornings if they gave action two nights for prime time premieres. Toonami wont return to CN but if they were to create something that's just as inviting for weekdays 5PM-7PM, that'd be a welcome change.

On weekday afternoons from around 2PM-5PM run a mix of new and older original series in quarter hour segments, make it Cartoon Planet maybe but it doesn't have to be hosted because making bumpers for a daily block is a lot of money and work which may not benefit the package that much so keep it simple.

Have an hour of Looney Tunes on weekdays at 1PM and weekends from 1PM-3PM.

On weekdays from around 10AM-1PM run a cycle of older originals and Hanna Barbera cartoons including of course Tom & Jerry but cut back on that a little bit.

My goal for CN is to keep bringing in new cartoons but broaden the audience a little and introduce their current audience to a wider range of cartoons in the process.

Rather than make obvious plays at attracting girl viewers, be a bit more gradual about that with programming that appeals to both genders for more hours of the line-up and a few more girl center.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    First off, CN should show all their dark, action cartoons at night. Regardless of what DAY, they just have to be shown at night. It was always infuriating to see shows like Ben 10:Alien Force/ Ultimate Alien and other shows that mostly take place at night, being shown on Saturday mornings, making them look childish.
    As for the girl-orientated shows, I doubt CN is looking for stuff like that. Totally Spies sounds nice, but action cartoons as a WHOLE on the channel seem to be dying out, and Sailor Moon will probably get the same treatment as all anime and be shoved into the early Saturday morning block with the "merchandise-driven" shows. CN is heavily invested in getting comedies,not expanding their gender demographics. For now, the only thing CN is doing to improve their standards with girls is by having strong female supporting characters on their shows AT MOST.

As for that I Heart Tuesdays thing that's had its protagonists go from one girl to twins, it might be best if we just forget about it. There hasn't been a picture of the characters, a screenshot or even a recent news article about it and it's been an "upcoming series" for years. Ne-Yo himself complained about how expensive animation is, and if he didn't know THAT then he should stay out of it.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast