Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Checkerboard is offline THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

My wishlist...

- Push back [adult swim] to 10PM and fill the extra hour with The Flintstones and The Jetsons.
    - Bring back Super Chunk for marathons.
    - Bring back The Jester as a mascot for Christmas. If it works, bring him back also for movies.
    - Bring back Earth Day Marathon. Can include various episodes from various current and past shows. Can include, but doesn't have to, also Captain Planet.
    - Bring back the What A Cartoon Show shorts into rotation by adding them to Cartoon Planet.
    - Acquire the upcoming Swat Kats reboot and actually support it.
    - Support I Heart Tuesdays to bring in the female viewers and give them a show.
    - Re-use some of the old music from the library for new promos and be even more creative -> Scooby-Doo/Adventure Time crossover style.

And before you say anything, I honestly think every single point could be done and could work.

Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard
    Push back [adult swim] to 10PM and fill the extra hour with The Flintstones and The Jetsons.
    Cartoon Network isn't going to run The Flintstones and The Jetsons at 9 PM, as both of those shows are considered Boomerang material now. If Toon were to reclaim the 9 PM time slot, then the network should use that time for premieres of new and original shows, not for retro programs. However, I do like the idea of there being a midway point between Toon and Adult Swim. In fact, I suggested something similar to this for Toon in my blog back in 2010.

Bring back Earth Day Marathon. Can include various episodes from various current and past shows. Can include, but doesn't have to, also Captain Planet.
    The Earth Day marathons are on Boomerang now.

Bring back the What A Cartoon Show shorts into rotation by adding them to Cartoon Planet.
    Toon could do that, but there's not much reason for them to, since the point of What A Cartoon! was to run potential new show ideas for the network, and there's little chance that any of those old shorts will be made into series now. Anyway, Cartoon Planet has been relegated to weekend mornings now, so I doubt that Toon has any major plans for the block at this time.

Acquire the upcoming Swat Kats reboot and actually support it
    There isn't an upcoming Swat Kats reboot. The series' co-creator Christian Tremblay said that he'd be interested in doing a new Swat Kats series, but that's a far cry from it actually happening. In any case, Turner wouldn't need to acquire a new Swat Kats series if they already own the rights to the original series.

Support I Heart Tuesdays to bring in the female viewers and give them a show.
    I'm definitely down with the idea of having more female protagonists on shows in order to attract more female viewers, but why just 1 show? Why not have Toon produce/acquire more gender neutral shows which can be enjoyed by both and girls equally? As for I Heart Tuesdays, I agree with the poster who said earlier that we should probably just forget about that show unless/until it looks like it's actually going to happen. It's been at least a year since I Heart Tuesdays was announced and there's since been no screenshots, no pictures or any recent news since it's creator Ne Yo said that he had changed the protagonist from 1 girl to a pair of twins. I Heart Tuesdays could very well end up being like Santo, that luchador show was announced for Toon, but never actually aired.
    Last edited by Goldstar Neo; 09-29-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

SF4Ever is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's remember that Cartoon Network started off as gender neutral, and it can be, again. I Heart Tuesdays is just a start, but as soon Totally Spies arrives after running in France, CN will have two female-centric animated programs, but it can use more on it's schedule to finally balance gender demographics, network wide. This will give Cartoon Network a significant chance to challenge Nick in the TV animation dept., especially with all genres. I can really see CN scheduling both Ben 10: Omniverse and Totally Spies in the same hour, especially on Saturday mornings. Now, for prime time, Cartoon Network should consider getting back the 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. time slot from Adult Swim and consider creating/developing original animated programming to air at that time. In addition to its own animation studio and Warner Bros. Animation, CN can also contract Sony Pictures Animation, Cookie Jar Entertainment, Man of Action Studios, Nelvana Entertainment, DreamWorks Animation, 20th Century Fox Animation, etc. to develop or create animated sitcoms or various dramas like cop and detective shows, westerns, etc. Cartoon Network's programming culture isn't all about boys and men- it can also be about girls and women, too. The operative word for the network's future is gender neutrality.
    Like it or not, I never apologize for being a fan of whomever they may be.

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    First things first, a quick birthday message for CN:
    "21 YEARS TODAY"
    ON: The Jester back at Christmas? Are you joking?

Lemanic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF4Ever View Post
    Let's remember that Cartoon Network started off as gender neutral, and it can be, again. I Heart Tuesdays is just a start, but as soon Totally Spies arrives after running in France, CN will have two female-centric animated programs, but it can use more on it's schedule to finally balance gender demographics, network wide. This will give Cartoon Network a significant chance to challenge Nick in the TV animation dept., especially with all genres. I can really see CN scheduling both Ben 10: Omniverse and Totally Spies in the same hour, especially on Saturday mornings. Now, for prime time, Cartoon Network should consider getting back the 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. time slot from Adult Swim and consider creating/developing original animated programming to air at that time. In addition to its own animation studio and Warner Bros. Animation, CN can also contract Sony Pictures Animation, Cookie Jar Entertainment, Man of Action Studios, Nelvana Entertainment, DreamWorks Animation, 20th Century Fox Animation, etc. to develop or create animated sitcoms or various dramas like cop and detective shows, westerns, etc. Cartoon Network's programming culture isn't all about boys and men- it can also be about girls and women, too. The operative word for the network's future is gender neutrality.
    Guess what made CN this dude-bro-ish to begin with? A lack of identity that results in the channel having a lack of pride that in the long run results in the channel having a lack of standards that animators will look up to. Is it strange then that CN isn't the last stop of good animation the way Disney Channel is and thus dude-bro stuff will continue to be produced?

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CinaMel View Post
    Guess what made CN this dude-bro-ish to begin with? A lack of identity that results in the channel having a lack of pride that in the long run results in the channel having a lack of standards that animators will look up to.
    I tend to think it's more like focus groups and studies telling them that they can earn big ratings numbers and merch sales by aiming their programming largely at boys. In any event, it's a little annoying and limiting on the channel's overall appeal.

Is it strange then that CN isn't the last stop of good animation the way Disney Channel is and thus dude-bro stuff will continue to be produced?
    It's not that strange, really: Disney has 3 kids' channels for various age/gender groups, a channel largely for girls (TDC), a channel largely for boys (XD) and a channel for preschoolers (Junior), and their shows frequently overlap or can easily be cross-promoted on one of the other channels. But they really don't need 3 separate channels to be all-inclusive, they could easily do it on one, and so could Cartoon Network.

Quote Originally Posted by SF4Ever
    Let's remember that Cartoon Network started off as gender neutral, and it can be, again. I Heart Tuesdays is just a start, but as soon Totally Spies arrives after running in France, CN will have two female-centric animated programs, but it can use more on it's schedule to finally balance gender demographics, network wide.
    I agree that CN has the potential to become gender neutral again, and it would be great if it did, but I also agree with others that we really need to put any thoughts regarding I Heart Tuesdays being on the forefront of that movement behind us until or unless we actually get some concrete signs that it's coming. Given how slow the "progress" on that show has been coupled with how in all this time we still haven't seen sketch 1 of the show, it's likely I Heart Tuesdays may never see the light of day.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CinaMel View Post
    Is it strange then that CN isn't the last stop of good animation the way Disney Channel is and thus dude-bro stuff will continue to be produced?
    Of course it isn't considering that CN actually airs cartoons, a lot more than Disney does.

SF4Ever is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRailroad8794 View Post
    Of course it isn't considering that CN actually airs cartoons, a lot more than Disney does.
    I've just came back from looking at the news of Sonic Boom coming to Cartoon Network in the fall of 2014. I initially thought Disney was going to get that program, but guess what- Disney just let another potential TV animated program get away. When it comes to securing deals for animated TV programs, Disney isn't doing too good in that department. Both Cartoon Network and Nick have got TV animation programming deals lined up for the future, while Disney is getting left behind. Friday nights are one thing, but Saturday mornings are going to be interesting, as CN and Nick will fill up it's schedule with animation, carrying on into and beyond the noon hour, and it's going to have something for everyone, during that period. Right now, both networks are currently competing with the CW's Vortexx programming block. Disney is blowing chances to secure and acquire animated programming for TV, especially for Saturday mornings, and even worse, it's relying on Disney XD, which not everyone has. Lack of variety and inaccessibility is hampering Disney's ability to truly be a major player in TV animation, especially on Saturday mornings. Before too long, Cartoon Network will make a spectacular announcement on an upcoming animated program that even Disney won't be able to answer the bell on.
    Like it or not, I never apologize for being a fan of whomever they may be.

Ducktales Fan is offline Classic Television Fan Here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At this point in time, the only thing that really interests me that Cartoon Network offers is Looney Tunes and the occasional movie. With that said, it would be nice if they brought the program back daily. I would say at 6:00am for a hour and again for another hour later during the day. And then on the weekends they can expand the morning airing to two hours (6-8am). And it would be a treat to see more shorts like the Speedy Gonzales ones. I know ... these have been banned which I think is quite stupid. But's that another topic altogether.

And if there is enough room in the schedule ... they could try fitting in The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and The Smurfs. Not everyone gets Boomerang as that channel usually isn't apart of basic cable.

There needs to some variety in the schedule instead of the same (modern) cartoons airings over and over again. I do appreciate the fact they spice up the schedule once in awhile with a movie. They should do that more often. Afterall, their demographic loves to watch movies as well. They can't go wrong with that.

And in regards to Adult Swim, that should start at 8pm on school nights and at 10pm on Friday and Saturday nights. New episodes of various CN cartoons/originals can premiere on either Friday or Saturday during the extra two hours (8-10pm). Otherwise, that time could be used for a movie.
    Last edited by Ducktales Fan; 10-17-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducktales Fan
    At this point in time, the only thing that really interests me that Cartoon Network offers is Looney Tunes and the occasional movie. With that said, it would be nice if they brought the program back daily. I would say at 6:00am for a hour and again for another hour later during the day. And then on the weekends they can expand the morning airing to two hours (6-8am). And it would be a treat to see more shorts like the Speedy Gonzales ones. I know ... these have been banned which I think is quite stupid. But's that another topic altogether.
    I'm all for the idea of Cartoon Network showing more of the pre-1948 Looney Tunes shorts, as well as the shorts with Speedy Gonzales. There's no reason for the character to be banned, especially since he was featured prominently in the recently ended series The Looney Tunes Show. Speedy is no more stereotypically Mexican than Pepe Le Pew is stereotypically French, yet the Pepe cartoons are still shown. Sense no make.

And if there is enough room in the schedule ... they could try fitting in The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and The Smurfs. Not everyone gets Boomerang as that channel usually isn't apart of basic cable.
    It's definitely an issue for Boomerang being available in fewer homes than Toon is and Boom being a digital extra channel instead of being part of the basic package, which is why I think that Boomerang should have an online presence similar to YouTube or Hulu. I'm not suggesting that a Boomerang website replace the channel, mind you, merely that such a site could be offered to viewers who don't get the Boomerang channel in their homes.

As for The Flintstones, Smurfs, The Jetsons and the like airing on Toon again, I don't think that's a bad idea, but they would most likely have to be run during non-peak viewing hours, as Toon's competition during the prime time hours is too fierce for the channel to run old-school programs during that time. I think that weekday mornings or early afternoons would be best for that, since Toon's only competition during those hours are The Hub's programs and the preschool shows on Nick Jr. and Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior.

And in regards to Adult Swim, that should start at 8pm on school nights and at 10pm on Friday and Saturday nights. New episodes of various CN cartoons/originals can premiere on either Friday or Saturday during the extra two hours (8-10pm). Otherwise, that time could be used for a movie.
    Personally, I would have Adult Swim start at 10 PM on Mondays through Thursdays and at 11 PM on Fridays and Saturdays. Toon could start a weekend block of premieres similar to the now defunct SNICK on Nickelodeon or like the former Cartoon-Cartoon Fridays block, only on Saturdays. Have Toon's hours expanded on Fridays and Saturdays as a treat to the school aged kids when they don't have to get up early the next morning. Regarding movies, Toon tried something like that with Action Flicks on Saturday nights in prime time. The reason why I think that AF failed is because the audience that these movies were aimed at (teens and young adults) are typically out having fun on the weekends and aren't usually at home watching TV during the prime time Saturday night hours.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4