Search the Site:
Follow Us:

View Poll Results: Should "No Smoking" and "Buffalo Gals" be aired? And what about editing racist J

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and completely un-edited.

2 66.67%
  • Yes but completely checked and edited.

1 33.33%
  • Yes but very rare and at night.

0 0%
  • No with a little air one night.

0 0%
  • NEVER EVER. SHOULD BE BANNED EVERYWHERE AND NOT AIRED ANYWHERE.

0 0%
    ToonsDooko is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CN Discussion! Episode 1: Jynx VS African-Americns/No Smoking - A Pilot Of Hell and Smokes

Like This Thread!

How do you feel about...

THE ICE CAVE AND KANTO/JOHTO JYNX IN GENERAL?
    I think African-Americans just go too into things.

And...

NO SMOKING PILOT AND NON-"KIDDIE" COW AND CHICKEN?
    I think it's just old times, crazy times, racist times, 9/11 censoring times but most of all ant-religous times when these things happen.

Next time we discuss "Tom & Jerry" and "Looney Tunes".

Don't hide Marvin. Keep lookin'.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I never really had a problem with editing Jynx or even banning an episode in Johto because it featured one. I didn't quite understand the issue when I first heard about the controversy, but after seeing more documentaries on racial stereotypes and learning more about them in history classes, I could see the similarities and why that would make other people uncomfortable. I don't think that Jynx was based on those stereotypes. I've heard of a couple of other theories that sound more likely, although I don't think that anyone involved with Pokemon ever confirmed them, but the fact that it does remind people of those racial stereotypes is understandable. I didn't mind missing that episode from Johto. I had more of a problem with May's Contest to get her last ribbon was delayed in the English dub until I think after the Hoenn Grand Festival aired just because Jynx was also involved in the two part match. At least changing Jynx's design avoids more people from finding the design offensive and prevents more episodes from being banned/delayed.

I haven't heard of the second Cow and Chicken episode you mentioned. but I don't have a problem with the pilot being banned either. Even with anti-smoking segments, there might be issues with showing underage characters from smoking on programs aimed at children. So, I don't mind that situation either.

LegoFan224 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonsDooko View Post
    How do you feel about...

THE ICE CAVE AND KANTO/JOHTO JYNX IN GENERAL?
    I think African-Americans just go too into things.
    Dude don't generalize a race based on one stupid persons actions. Only ONE person complained about Jynx, not everyone. I'm African American, and I don't think Jynx is racist at all. Just because ONE lady thinks she's racist doesn't mean her entire race also think Jynx racist.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I haven't heard of the second Cow and Chicken episode you mentioned. but I don't have a problem with the pilot being banned either. Even with anti-smoking segments, there might be issues with showing underage characters from smoking on programs aimed at children. So, I don't mind that situation either.
    I am pretty sure that he/she is referring to the episode "Buffalo Gals" which featured a lesbian biker gang and contained a lot of gay double entandres. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing it (and the pilot) an Adult Swim's website like what they did with Dexter's Rude Removal.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

Lerkero is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoFan224 View Post
    Dude don't generalize a race based on one stupid persons actions. Only ONE person complained about Jynx, not everyone. I'm African American, and I don't think Jynx is racist at all. Just because ONE lady thinks she's racist doesn't mean her entire race also think Jynx racist.
    There was definitely more than one lady complaining.

Even if Jynx is not intentionally racist, it's imagery is tied to racist imagery that perpetuated through Western culture. Just like Mr. Popo I would prefer that that kind of imagery not be perpetuated for entertainment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I am pretty sure that he/she is referring to the episode "Buffalo Gals" which featured a lesbian biker gang and contained a lot of gay double entandres. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing it (and the pilot) an Adult Swim's website like what they did with Dexter's Rude Removal.
    I was talking about...

"No Smoking", "Buffalo Gals" and ALL non-kid fiendly "Cow and Chicken". He, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerkero View Post
    There was definitely more than one lady complaining.

Even if Jynx is not intentionally racist, it's imagery is tied to racist imagery that perpetuated through Western culture. Just like Mr. Popo I would prefer that that kind of imagery not be perpetuated for entertainment.
    I agree with all of that. Now the question comes: why did children not know?
    Last edited by Light Lucario; 03-02-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Please don't double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LegoFan224, I was saying some people just look to into things, and I'm sorry I offended you. (Did I forget to add "some"?)

Jynx was never racist; Japan is not very familiar with "blackface" and did not know of its political incorrectness in the USA and several other countries like the UK to name one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonsDooko View Post
    Jynx was never racist; Japan is not very familiar with "blackface" and did not know of its political incorrectness in the USA and several other countries like the UK to name one.
    That's true. I don't think that they meant to make Jynx's design give people the idea that it was a racist. They just aren't aware of the history of racist imagery like blackface in their own culture. Still, after I learned more about those racist imagery in my history classes, I could see why some people would have problems with Jynx's design and it was for the best that they altered it relatively soon afterwards too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember actually seeing the C&C pilot once on the What a Cartoon show. They actually showed that Cow and Chicken's parents were just two pairs of legs. I can understand why they would ban the episode, but I don't think it was necessary. They show smoking on Looney Tunes. They don't ban any of them.

As for the Jynx issue. I'm with Dooko and Lucario. It was just an honest mistake. Japan never had to deal with African-American racism, so they had no idea people would've found her appearance offensive.

Mr.whocares is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Considering older episodes of RS and AT both say "crap" and "pissed", I'm sure SMOKING is okay on CN.
    Buffalo Gals, eh. It has a bucket load of innuendo, but come on, Kids won't get that! I hate soccer moms and how they hate on little innuendo in cartoons. It's put in so adults can enjoy it. Kids have no clue what they are even talking about during the reference.
    I agree with PhenomsServant4 on the Jynx one.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.whocares View Post
    Considering older episodes of RS and AT both say "crap" and "pissed", I'm sure SMOKING is okay on CN.
    Buffalo Gals, eh. It has a bucket load of innuendo, but come on, Kids won't get that! I hate soccer moms and how they hate on little innuendo in cartoons. It's put in so adults can enjoy it. Kids have no clue what they are even talking about during the reference.
    I agree with PhenomsServant4 on the Jynx one.
    I think that CN (and probably most everyone else) tries to avoid showing smoking in kids' shows. As for the innuendo, I think that some people (as in adults) found it offensive. Also people don't want there kids to go around daycare saying that they like to "chew on carpet" just because they heard it in a cartoon. Sure the kids won't know what it really means, and the parents would rather not have to explain something when the kid isn't ready yet.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

Eggy is offline DA EGGY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I think that CN (and probably most everyone else) tries to avoid showing smoking in kids' shows. As for the innuendo, I think that some people (as in adults) found it offensive. Also people don't want there kids to go around daycare saying that they like to "chew on carpet" just because they heard it in a cartoon. Sure the kids won't know what it really means, and the parents would rather not have to explain something when the kid isn't ready yet.
    There was a cigarette in The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    There was a cigarette in The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon.
    That was from a cartoon that aired years ago. More recent cartoons aimed at kids most likely wouldn't be allowed to show a cigarette or smoking, even if it was anti-smoking. I can't see Cartoon Network, or any other channel aimed at kids, showing smoking on their shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    That was from a cartoon that aired years ago. More recent cartoons aimed at kids most likely wouldn't be allowed to show a cigarette or smoking, even if it was anti-smoking. I can't see Cartoon Network, or any other channel aimed at kids, showing smoking on their shows.
    I agree. Smoking was a very frequent action in old cartoons (some, not all, for children), but now Looney Tunes is always edited for smoking, (even though it was not meant for kids), and I have not seen any smoking from a cartoon from 1999-present that I have seen. I have seen mild references though. They have shown that you should not smoke, and is being a reliable by editing these or not including these in programming meant for children.

Ofcom made a complaint on smoking on Tom and Jerry in 2006, but I do not have the link.

Let's be glad that kids don't smoke as well.