HellCat is offline Old enough to know better
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toon Zone Talkback - "Ben 10: Ultimate Alien": The Mostest Special-est Snowflake

Like This Thread!
    This is the talkback thread for "Ben 10: Ultimate Alien": The Mostest Special-est Snowflake.

I agree with this review so much. There's just something...off about the characters and settings. In particular with these episodes, the soap boxing is incredibly transparent. Doesn't help that in 'Prisoner 775 Is Missing', the script can't decide if said prisoner is a tortured victim or a baddy to fought because apparently Ben and his team must have a pointless fight every episode.

ToonsLover is offline Lover of Toons
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I completely agree, I don't really like the direction Ultimate Alien went in its last two seasons. Granted, season 1 was never THAT great, but it at least had a season wide plot and an original villain that was pretty cool.

"Catch a Falling Star", as pointed out, is the best episode of those last 2 seasons, and maybe of the entire series. But I feel like Ultimate Alien got more and more boring and repetitive as the series progressed, and kept showcasing the whole Forever Knights and Flame Keepers plots, which were never that interesting.

Omniverse doesn't look the great to me based off the sneak peaks, but it's definitely way overdue for Ben 10 to move on to a new group of writers.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I thought that this was a pretty good review and I agreed with a lot of the points it brought up as well. Ben does come off as a jerk at times and he has a especially large ego, which doesn't make him a likable protagonist. I preferred him back in the first couple of seasons of Alien Force. He felt like mature leader, at least more so than he does now, and he didn't act so full of himself.

I also think that the direction for this season was pretty weak. It felt like they couldn't really focus on the Forever Knight plot that much with all of the filler episodes thrown in-between them, and I wasn't in favor of bringing in the Flame Keepers. They felt like a weak way to bring back Vilgax and have him be the final villain yet again. The first season had a bit of a better focus with its plot, although I still say that Aggregor was a seriously boring villain.

I kind of liked the Charmcaster episodes. I'm not a huge fan of her character by any means and to be honest, I was annoyed that she ended up being the villain again after her earlier appearance made it look like she was on friendlier terms with Gwen, but they were more interesting than the bulk of these episodes.

The series finale felt pretty underwhelming. The first half felt like they were using all of these fight scenes to pad out the episode, while the fight against Vilgax was finished fairly quickly. And I still don't like that they played out that Ben was really tempted to use that ultimate power. There was no suspense regarding what decision he would make and more significantly, it just came far too sudden to make it feel like he was really struggling with that temptation. He's been in control of powerful devices before.

"Catch a Falling Star" is definitely the best episode out of these sets though. It's such a drastic and sudden change from how Ben 10 usually works. It makes me think that they should do episodes like that more often. Perhaps not as dark since that would get old after awhile, but just doing episodes that aren't their usual way of handling the characters, villains and the episodes' overall plot.

I'm interested in what Omniverse will provide. It looks kind of decent based on some of the clips I've seen and bringing in new writers might help the franchise. It might not fix all of the mistakes and problems it has, but it should hopefully allow for them to experiment more and create more unique episodes.

Hero Ponchin is offline Hai Hai!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To put in my two cents...

Wow, someone beat me to the punch in starting this Talkback thread!

Anyways, I remember watching the original series when I was younger. If my memories and this review are any indication, then I see that I didn't miss anything.(Especially if the titular form-changer and his allies are the type of irredemable and thuggish demon creatures that this review implies they are).

Finally, if reviews got reviewed, this would obtain four and a half stars.
    "Motivation will always beat more talent."- Norman R. Augustine

"So does a hit-and run. Cleary, a wise man."-Turbo

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wow. I have mixed feelings of Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, but this review was HARSH. Though then agin most of it istrue, as the writing is not the best, and the characters often come as unlikeable, plot holes bad decisions abound, but I'm not going into it because I've complained about Ben 10 a lot in the past.

I do agree though that "Catch and Falling Star" is a good episode, and I'm almost willing to say it's the best episode of Ben 10: Ultimate Alien.

Looking forward to Omniverse. It might not be a fresh new start with a clean slate (a la each season Digimon and Power Rangers) but with a new look and new writers, Ben 10 can't possibly get worse.

Toons These Days
    Now on That Guy With the Glasses.com
    New episodes return December 16!

Support future animations through Patreon!