Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    {Shadow} is online now Toonami - Saturdays 11:30p-6a! Blosics 3 Champion Angry Animals Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TALKBACK - ThunderCats - "Curse of Ratilla" - [5/5]

Like This Thread!

Episode 020 - - Number 120

Curse of Ratilla
    premieres
    TODAY at 9:30 AM
    repeats
    SUNDAY at 9:30 AM

This week...
    The team discover a mine filled with cats who are searching for the Sword of Plundarr on the orders of Ratar-O.

Blackmanba is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lion-O looked so dismayed at the prospect of moving on, it was hilarious.

Edit: I thought only the royal family could use the sword of omens in this series, having Jaga use it completely contradicts that.

When you just can't do with a sword let the other gem do the work.
    Last edited by Blackmanba; 05-05-2012 at 09:54 AM.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ratar-O was a jerk, but dude could fight.

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode :anime:
    Good to see Ratar-O in the show,the fight scene was awesome
    I wonder if the Twins got their stuff back
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today's episode marks the New Series introduction of one of the two remaining Mutants, the most threatening one of the bunch!

*It's back to episode recaps and the title being "in" the episode this week.

*We get a closer look at Mount Plun-Darr compared to last week and, sure enough, it does resemble Castle Plun-Darr from the Original Series! It looks more mineral based (which makes sense) and features a giant skeleton as opposed to a gargoyle statue!

*Just as Pumyra said last week, there are Cat slaves here! So far no one we , the audience, recognize is on screen. We also meet the Rats! They sure are dirty and feral looking and are whipping those poor slaves!
    2 of the Cats find a giant red diamond with a familiar shape inside...

*As these 2 Cats try to break open the diamond, a rock slide comes! Could this be the titular curse?

*A white rat with an eye patch is reporting this incident to his master, who is none other then one of the 5 Mutants from the Original Series, Ratar-O!

*For those unfamiliar with the Original Series, Ratar-O was the most powerful, most dangerous and most competent of the Mutants. His signature weapons were a pair of either daggers or sais (I could never which), known as the "Rat's Eyes". He only had 2 "official appearances": first in the Season 1 Two Parter, The Feliner and in three of the five parts of the Season 2 Premiere, ThunderCats-Ho!, where he was killed during Part 4. Unlike the other 4 Mutants, Ratar-O was actually a threat to the ThunderCats; given how Slithe, Kaynar and Addicus are far more threatening in the New Series, I think it's safe to say the already threatening Ratar-O will be even more so in the New Series!

*Like Addicus, Ratar-O's voice sounds intelligent and sophisticated, more so then the Monkey even! Unlike Addicus, however, Ratar-O doesn't seem to have psychotic tendencies and actually comes off as very polite. Evil, but polite. He also looks more refined and suave then his underlings. He sort of comes off as a Samurai Version of Professor Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detectiveto me. I can't quite place my ears on who is voicing him, though.

*Ratar-O's right hand rat is named "Mordax" and thinks the curse of the Sword of Plun-Darr is real! Ratar-O actually confirms it is real, which is why he's sending Cats to get it! He also mentions he got these cat slaves by buying them from Lizards, I wonder if that means he's not affiliated with Mumm-Ra...

*Ratar-O picks some volunteers, but they try to run! Ratar-O catches them and makes a speech similar to Slithe's from Ancient Spirits of Evil/Omens Part II, excepted worded slightly nicer. Woah, he just disintegrated them, yeah, Rataro's threat level has been cranked up to 11! He does an evil chuckle instead of an evil laugh, that makes it even creepier if you ask me.

*The ThunderCats have arrived! WilyKat, WilyKit and Snarf are absent for the 2nd time in the Series, no doubt they're still in the Dog City trying to catch Tookit. Pumyra confirms Ratar-O is after the Sword of Plun-Darr and Lion-O re accounts his adventure from Legacy. Cheetara volunteers to go after the Sword while the others free the Cats, Tygra decides to go with her.

*Lion-O wishes the "battle couple" luck on their mission, it looks as though he has, indeed, gotten over their relationship! What's this, Pumyra is flirting with Lion-O? I take it the shippers were rejoicing a lot! Panthro's reaction and Lion-O's look to it were a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Tygra and Cheetara are going in disguised as prisoners! Fortunately, their cover wasn't blown despite a close call!

*Lion-O comes to the aid on an elderly Cat who is glad to see his King! It was a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming to hear him say he never lost faith in Lion-O's arrival!

*Pumyra, I get you're angry and it's completely justifiably, but you just blew everyone's cover! Panthro, you took the words right after my mouth.

*Woah, Pumyra is beating the tar out of Mordax like there's no tomorrow! She's also pulled out a knife!

*Lion-O stops her from doing the deed by telling her about the Lizard he saved, who in turn, helped him back in the first 2 episodes...unfortunately, Mordax does not show the gratitude that the Lizard did! Lion-O's comment about Mordax not hearing his speech was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Tygra and Cheetara volunteer to enter the depths to spare the other Cats that fate...looks like the curse is taking effect yet again! We also get to see Tygra use his new whip he got from his biological father, Javon, back in Native Son. Tygra, are you really going to skeptical about a curse when you live in a world where magic is real?

*Mordax brings the other 3 ThunderCats before Ratar-O, who is uninterested...until he sees the Sword of Omens! He still speaks more politely then the other villains have, but he is pretty abusive to Mordax. I guess he could be seen as "Evilly Affable"/"Faux-Affable Evil".

*Ratar-O does outright confirm that he is not affiliated with Mumm-Ra. It makes sense as he was not affiliated with him in his initial appearance in the Original Series (the above mentioned Two Parter, The Feliner); I like the idea of an "Evil vs Evil" scenario a lot. He also proceeds to explain some backstory with his ancestor, Ratilla! Ratilla's design looks much more feral and savage compared to his Original Series design, I like that a lot. The way Ratar-O rolled the R sound reminded me of Spanish Class and the "Double R Sound".

*For those unfamiliar with the Original Series, Ratilla was the original owner of the Sword of Plun-Darr and tried to to steal the Treasures of Thundera. Jaga stopped him and threw the Sword into the center of Thundera. The Sword's negative energy was what caused the planet to explode, thus giving the Cats reason to go to Third Earth. In theThunderCubs Five Parter, Mumm-Ra went back in time and claimed the Sword, which caused the planet to reform in the present. The last 20 episodes took place on this "New Thundera", which was not well-recieved by fans (Tygra and Pumyra staying on Third Earth was one of the reasons).

*The Story of Ratilla in the New Series is very similar its Original Series counterpart, included Jaga fighting Ratilla! The most notable differences being Mumm-Ra is the original owner of the sword and Ratilla finding it later and Jaga's disposal of it simply created Mount Plun-Darr and a curse to stop others from getting it!

*I'm actually surprised Mordax outright said to Ratar-O's face that he was getting tired of being pushed around, I'm even more surprised Ratar-O wasn't angry!

*Tygra and Cheetara continue their search for the Sword of Plun-Darr, all while the former still is skeptical of the curse. They finally come across it and Cheetara recognizes Jaga's magical influence! Being one of his apprentices, she has that same magical influence and is able to get it! But now a rock slide is coming!

*Like Tygra did before, Pumyra criticizes Lion-O's mercy, but he assures her and Panthro they'll get out of it. The rock slide prevents execution, but it's not the most ideal alternative either!

*Tygra and Cheetara share another Crowning Moment of Heart Warming by kissing during the Rock Slide! Of course, they managed to survive!

*Lion-O gets back up...but before he can do anything else, Ratar-O sucker-punches him! Like Professor Ratigan, Ratar-O is getting fierce when his plan falls apart! Yep, definitely "Evilly Affable"/"Faux-Affable Evil".

*Mordax also survives...and finally returns the favor to Lion-O! Lion-O even points out to Ratar-O that no one likes a tyrant!

*Lion-O vs Ratar-O was a Crowning Moment of Awesome! The New Series has indeed, made Ratar-O even more deadly this time around! He put up a very good fight before being defeated. Pumyra also acknowledges that Lion-O's mercy payed off!

*Lion-O, Panthro and Pumyra free the Cats and instruct them to head back to the remains of Thundera! No Lynx-O or Bengali, I wonder when we'll be seeing them. Lion-O also confirms that Ratar-O managed to escape, which means we haven't seen the last of him! Hopefully he won't be underutilized as he was in the Original Series. Vultureman is now the only Mutant we have yet to see in the New Series.

*Tygra and Cheetara regroup with the others in possession of the Sword of Plun-Darr! Cheetara thinks it should be kept in the Tower of Omens, but Panthro thinks it won't work...

*Uh oh, Mumm-Ra knows where the Sword of Plun-Darr is (probably thanks to his magic cauldron) and the Lizard Army can be seen on the horizon coming! Things just got real, ladies and gentleman!

Awesome episode, probably one of my personal favorites! Ratar-O was handled extremely well in this episode and is a great villain! Pumyra also got more time to shine! Next week brings Mumm-Ra into play again!

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode was alright. Good to feel Mumm-ra's presence again, even if we don't actually see him. Ratar-o was a good a blast from the past. Overall, it felt like an "important" episode. It's the type of episode that gets me excited for the next week, which is all I really need to get my fill any given week. My biggest issue, though, was that throughout it just seemed particularly predictable at just about every juncture of the episode. There's a fine difference between "foreshadowing" and "telegraphing," and today's broadcast seemed to fit the latter description more aptly.

Possible continuity gaffe: I don't recall all the events of the first season, but my brother immediately pointed out how can the Sword of Plundarr originally have belonged to the rats if Mumm-ra had it long ago? I'd like an official timeline of its history, namely when was it forged, the time periods for when who kept it, and when it was buried in the mountain. Again, I don't recall all the details, but it seems like a messy timeline. Maybe Lynx-o is just that old.

Looks like a lot of people's predictions about Pumyra from early in the first season just might be spot on: she's going to end up liking the guy who lost out on Cheetara. Assuming this holds, it's not a great sign when people can guess one of the important roles of a character long before we see her.

Still holding out for Bengali, but that's more for completion's sake than actual love for the character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatHairyDeal View Post
    Possible continuity gaffe: I don't recall all the events of the first season, but my brother immediately pointed out how can the Sword of Plundarr originally have belonged to the rats if Mumm-ra had it long ago?
    Actually, it was only in the Original Series where Ratilla was the original owner of the Sword of Plun-Darr, Mumm-Ra is the original owner in the New Series. Rataro's exact line was "Long before anyone knew the Sword belonged to Mumm-Ra, it belonged to the Rats." He just meant before hand, others didn't know there was an owner of the Sword before Ratilla.

Manhunter is offline Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBTrilogy100 View Post
    *Like Addicus, Ratar-O's voice sounds intelligent and sophisticated, more so then the Monkey even! Unlike Addicus, however, Ratar-O doesn't seem to have psychotic tendencies and actually comes off as very polite. Evil, but polite. He also looks more refined and suave then his underlings. He sort of comes off as a Samurai Version of Professor Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detectiveto me. I can't quite place my ears on who is voicing him, though.
    Sounds kinda like Diedrich Bader to me.
    "No man escapes the Manhunters!"

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ratar-O was actually actor Carlo Rota best known as Morris from the 24 series. And Pamela Adlon (Bobby Hill) is voicing Pumyra. And it looks like Pumyra is already "flirting" with Lion-O.

Tygra and Cheetara screwed up big time by unearthing the sword of Plun-darr and gaunlet. They basically did Mumm-ra a favor. Granted they didn't know the history of its burial and the curse put on it that basically wouldn't let the rats or even Mumm-ra get a hold of it.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Frontier is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was wondering why Mumm-Ra wouldn't make his top priority getting his sword back, but since he had no idea where it is he probably just decided to focus on more feasible tasks. Well... until this episode that is. I wonder if Mumm-Ra is going to get the sword next episode or if the situation becomes desperate enough for the Thundercats to decide to use the sword.

I have no idea where they're going with Pumyra. Will she be Lion-O's love interest? Or will she just be another girl who gives him constant signals but ends up with somebody else. If the latter, I would feel really bad for Lion-O . Though the look he gave after she flirted with him was priceless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Ratar-O was actually actor Carlo Rota best known as Morris from the 24 series.
    Ah, so that's who voiced Ratar-O. Thanks for the information!

Another observation I realized was in the flashback, Mumm-Ra's pyramid was in the background when Ratilla fished out the Sword (which makes perfect sense that it would be close by after the crash). I really enjoyed that they put those subtle details into the show.

Manhunter is offline Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Ratar-O was actually actor Carlo Rota best known as Morris from the 24 series.
    I stand corrected.
    "No man escapes the Manhunters!"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Once again I'm in full support of Lion-O getting rejected by another female Thundercat and mis-reading her friendly signals because that would be hilarious.

One other thing I noticed, Arthur Rankin and Jules Bass got consulting producer credits for this episode which I thought was neat as they worked on the original. I always enjoy it when we get updates of the classic plots like this episode. Ratar-O was an awesome villain and I hope this is not the last we see of him. Not sure if anyone noticed but there was a nice little visual reference to a facial expression Ratar-O once made in the original series.

-CM Punk

Frontier is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It would be hilarious to us, but sad for Lion-O... can't the kid ever catch a break on this show?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrewolf View Post
    It would be hilarious to us, but sad for Lion-O... can't the kid ever catch a break on this show?
    It's better when the hero is unlucky in love. Sure its sad for Lion-O but having such a tortured love life and getting humiliated will toughen him up and make him a better character. Like Short Round says, "no time for love Doctor Jones!"

-CM Punk

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I finally got a chance to watch this episode and I thought that it was okay. It was kind of interesting to see a lot of other cats, although that still makes me think that survivors of the fall of Thundera really should have been brought up earlier in the series. The backstory for the sword was interesting, especially with a younger Jaga using it. I was confused as to how the rats got it after Mumm-Ra lost it due to Ratar-O saying that his ancestor used that other sword. The parts with Tygra and Cheetara looking in the mine for the sword were predictable, but the ending with the two of them kissing was kind of cute. I liked the cliffhanger ending with Mumm-Ra's forces coming closer to them.

Overall, it was an okay and enjoyable episode. I don't know if i like the idea of Lion-O always losing in the matters of love. It would get kind of old after awhile and I'm not sure if it would necessarily make him a better character. I think I'd prefer for Lion-O to realize that he has no time for romance due to trying to save his people and restore his kingdom, instead of constantly failing at winning another cat's affections.

Javy3 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I finally got a chance to watch this episode and I thought that it was okay. It was kind of interesting to see a lot of other cats, although that still makes me think that survivors of the fall of Thundera really should have been brought up earlier in the series. The backstory for the sword was interesting, especially with a younger Jaga using it. I was confused as to how the rats got it after Mumm-Ra lost it due to Ratar-O saying that his ancestor used that other sword. The parts with Tygra and Cheetara looking in the mine for the sword were predictable, but the ending with the two of them kissing was kind of cute. I liked the cliffhanger ending with Mumm-Ra's forces coming closer to them.

Overall, it was an okay and enjoyable episode. I don't know if i like the idea of Lion-O always losing in the matters of love. It would get kind of old after awhile and I'm not sure if it would necessarily make him a better character. I think I'd prefer for Lion-O to realize that he has no time for romance due to trying to save his people and restore his kingdom, instead of constantly failing at winning another cat's affections.
    Completely agree. I would rather have Lion-O go all work-a-holic on the Thundercats then be constantly trying for love and failing. I never was a fan of the Jonny Bravo situation. He is the freaking king who is risking his life and saving everyone, if anything Lion-O should have two or three chicks.