Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    {Shadow} is online now Toonami - Saturdays 11:30p-6a! Blosics 3 Champion Angry Animals Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TALKBACK - ThunderCats - "The Pit" - [4/28]

Like This Thread!

Episode 019 - - Number 119

The Pit
    premieres
    TODAY at 9:30 AM
    repeats
    SUNDAY at 9:30 AM

This week...
    A refugee cat is forced to fight in gladiator-style battles in a city of dogs.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I swear this show gets more Miyazaki-like every ep.

Yeah, Pumyra may be a potential love interest for old Lion-O after this.

Mt. Plun-Darr? Uh oh.

BlackoutCreature is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trance2009 View Post
    Yeah, Pumyra may be a potential love interest for old Lion-O after this.
    Poor Bengali

I enjoyed the main plot, nice to see a new cat show up. Interesting to see Pumyra bandaging up Lion-O at the end. I believe she was some kind of nurse/medic in the original show. Hopefully this will lead to the Cats returning to Thundera soon (and meeting up with the Thunderian Underground led by General Lynx-O?).

Didn't enjoy the B-plot. Usually I like the twins and I really enjoyed last weeks spotlight on them, but this weeks just didn't do it for me.
    Last edited by BlackoutCreature; 04-28-2012 at 10:40 AM.

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I've been out of the loop on this series for a while and happened to catch this episode. It was awesome! Dobo and really made it for me but the story itself was great too. I'm so behind, guess I'll have to start watching again. Man that was great.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today's episode marks the New Series introduction of one of the 3 Original Series "6th Rangers"!

*We begin with the Thunder Tank rollin' through the desert! It looks like the main part can detach from the "mobile fortress" part!

*Like The Duelist an The Drifter, the Cats are trying to get supplies, this time the whole team is here and there are in the city of dogs!

*The Kittens discuss how they used to hang out with dogs back in Thundera's slums. Though not mentioned, Lion-O was friends with a dog, Jorma the salesmen. back in the 1st episode. The Kittens decide to go off to find some "bone soup", Lion-O asking Snarf to watch them for him was sweet of him.

*Tygra discovers a poster of a Cat refuge being in Dog City's arena, the titular pit! The Cat is none other then the female "6th Ranger" from the Original Series, Pumyra! This makes her the 2nd of the "6th Rangers" to appear in the New Series (Lynx-O briefly appeared at the beginning of Ancient Spirits of Evil/Omens Part II and was mentioned in a flashback in Old Friends). That just leaves Bengali to make an appearance and begs the question of when Lynx-O returns!

*For those unfamiliar with the Original Series, Pumyra (like Lynx-O and Bengali) debuted in the 5 Part Season 2 Premiere (or "TV Movie", as it has alternatively been called),ThunderCats-Ho!, was the "team medic" and really did not like to fight. Unfortunately, she got the short end of the stick in terms of characterization and air time, much like Tygra did of the initial 6 (7, if you count Snarf). Fortunately, the Crew confirmed that, like Tygra, Pumyra won't suffer that same fate in the New Series!

*Looks like the Dogs were ahead of the Cats in terms of technology,those robots are something else!

*The Cat's meet with the Leader of the Pit, who seems to be voiced by Miguel Ferrer (who previously voiced The Duelist)! Panthro seems like he's begging for trouble instigating the Dog...but it looks like he knows this dog, named "Dobo"! Though his name and appearance suggests he's based on a doberman, he sort of looks like Shen (the Jackal Leader during Leo's Era, as seen in Legacy). It's also interesting to note that on his Deviant Art page, Dan Norton (the Art Director), describes Dobo as "a legend among Jackals". So who knows?

*As another note of interest, some fans say Dobo resembles the Dog Leader from the Wild Storm Comics. I haven't read these comics, so I can't say for certain. The Crew also says they hasn't read them either, thus making the resemblance a coincidence.

*Pumyra enters the Pit and prepares to do battle! Pumyra is certainly a fierce warrior in the New Series, no doubt!

*Dobo claims that he'll let Pumyra go when she wins 100 matches, but Lion-O is not very keen on that idea...

*While they are eating, the Kittens and Snarf see a raccoon pit-pocket. Makes sense, given how raccoons are usually nicknamed "the bandits of the forest" or something to that effect. The raccoon, introduces himself to them as "Tooky" (which sounds a lot like "Tanooki" from Super Mario Bros.), certainly an appropriate name. The Kittens are on to his game, but he tells them one can't know everything about something. Low and behold, he steals their items!

*Lion-O shows his growth and maturity, once more, by opting to free Pumyra in a stealth mission. Those Dog Guards look a lot like the ones that were about to imprison Kaynar back in New Alliances. Imagine Kaynar in the Pit, can you say "Fridge Horror"?

*Lion-O tries to free Pumyra, but she hates him venomously for some reason and blows his cover! Seriously Pumyra, was your anger at your King worth staying a prisoner?

*Dobo actually returns the Sword of Omens and Shield Gauntlet to the ThunderCats and agrees to free Lion-O after one match, instead of the usual 100. Unlike Panthro's other old friend, Grune, Dobo doesn't seem to be evil at all.

*We see a brief flashback detailing how Panthro and Dobo use to have to fight together against hordes of other gladiators. Based on how Panthro looked, I'm guessing the flashback happened some time after Grune's betrayal. Apparently, Panthro escaped one night and Dobo sees Cats as un-loyal (makes sense dogs value loyalty). So yep, Dobo is not evil...he's just passive aggressive.

*The Kittens and Snarf catch up to Tooky and demand their stuff back. The raccoon admits he's a compulsive stealer and says he'll return their stuff if they can steal 3 random things for him, even he hangs a lamp shade on how random they are! But he says he always finds a use for them.

*Lion-O calls out Pumyra on her brash and foolish anger (which once more shows us, the audience, how far he's come since his Trials). Pumyra accuses Lion-O of abandoning his people and being a coward by not saving them, obviously unaware that he and the others have been following Jaga's instructions to, first, find the Book of Omens and now, finding the Power Stones to stop Mumm-Ra! Unfortunately, she simply refuses to listen and is exciting of the chance of killing her own Kings! Wow, things are going to get ugly!

*After hearing her talk some more, it sounds like Pumyra is voiced by Pamela Adlon, who is probably best known as the voice of Bobby Hill from King of the Hill and Ashley Spinelli from Recess). That makes this the second episode in the series (the first being The Duelist and The Drifter) to feature Miguel Ferrer and a King of the Hill voice artist!

*The Gladiator Battle between Cat and Cat is about to begin, much to the delight of Dobo and the horror of Tygra, Cheetara and Panthro!

*The Kittens, Snarf and Tooky's "pit pocketing adventure" was a Crowning Moment of Funny, as was the Kittens reaction to realizing he still had not returned their stuff, as promised! I wonder if we'll see Tooky again, sooner or later.

*Pumyra is certainly very fierce and is not hesitating to beat Lion-O to a pulp and mock him! But the Lord of the ThunderCats shows his character development once more by refusing to fight her and standing his guard!

*Dobo continues to accuse Panthro of abandoning him, until Panthro finally gets a chance to explain his reasons. Panthro escaped because he knew he would have been forced to fight Dobo next and he didn't want to kill his friend! Dobo now has a regretful look on his face...

*Pumyra uses a crossbow as her weapon in the New Series, unlike her Original Series counterpart who used a sling as her weapon. Lion-O still refuses to fight and says he was serious about standing by her!

*Pumyra finally realizes that Lion-O wasn't being a coward or abandoning his people and chooses to stand down. Dobo claims the penalty is death, but the spectators are not very keen on that idea...

*Dobo agrees to let them go free and alive, says he now believes Cats show loyalty like Dogs and forgives Panthro. Looks like the ThunderCats have gained new allies in their quest against Mumm-Ra!

*Pumyra shows aspects of her Original Series counterpart by tending to Lion-O's wounds. Will she hook up with Lion-O, like some of the shippers are hoping for? Who knows?

*Lion-O asks her of the other Cat prisoners she was talking about and she points him towards the ominous and stormy mountain, known as "Mount Plun-Darr" (the New Series Version of Castle Plun-Darr, I take it)! Perhaps Lynx-O and Bengali are being held prisoner there? We'll find out next week![/FONT]

Awesome episode! Pumyra, like Tygra, has been improved greatly in the New Series and Dobo is an interesting new character! Tooky is also a nice comical character, too. Going by next week's episode title, it looks like we'll get the New Series introduction of one of the two remaining Mutants in the next episode!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there some official source that says the thiefs name was "Tooky"? I could've sworn he was being called "Tookit".

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode :anime:
    Nice to have Pumyra to appear in the show
    I enjoy the subplot with the Twins XD
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Lord Mawdryn is offline Board Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was another winner for me. I didn't really care that much for the kittens in the original series, but I'm a fan of the ones here. Pumrya rocks, but it was also cool to dive a bit into Panthro's background and his unlikely relationship with Dobo.

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe..."

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tookit sounded like Fred Tatasciore. Not sure who played Dobo.

Glad to see Pumyra enter the fold. I hope she sticks around as part of the team now. Looks like next episode is Plun-darr. If you remember in the original lore, Plun-darr was the home planet of the mutants. But now that Thundera was basically it's own realm on Third Earth, same with Plun-darr. I wonder if this is where we will see the new Vultureman or Ratar-O or Ratilla.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Enjoyed the episode, though I think they could've done a little less with the Tookit side plot, and a little more with Pumyra. I hope she isn't a one-and-done character.

Also, even though I felt bad for Lion-o about the whole Cheetara mess, part of me thinks it'd be hilarious if Pumyra ended up digging Bengali, assuming he shows up in upcoming episodes.

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think one of the creators mentioned Pumyra becoming a re-occurring character. Plus if the Thundercats are going to infiltrate Plun-Darr they are going to need a guide that's been there before and that's Pumyra otherwise they will be flying blind. I also would think it would be hilarious if Lion-O starts flirting with Pumyra and thinks her affections are genuine only for her to go after Bengali if he were to actually show up. Lion-O being continually shunned romantically would be the perfect running joke for this show. Like, let's torture and humiliate Lion-O just a little more. And let's say he were to meet one of the Amazon warriors who also knows sight beyond sight, have her shoot him down as well . Or they could just advance the Pumyra angle by saying she actually does like Lion-O but doesn't think she should pursue the king. But whatever, come what may.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Fusion is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad Lion-O was questioned about his actions following the fall of Thundera. They could have easily skipped pass that and made it a simple resuce mission. She portrayed her hostility towards him very well. I had actually forgotten that any of the cats survived the invasion. I liked the twins story, more so last week. Meeting a fellow theif and questioning the morality of stealing was nice side plot. I also liked how it worked out for the racoon.

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I also would think it would be hilarious if Lion-O starts flirting with Pumyra and thinks her affections are genuine only for her to go after Bengali if he were to actually show up. Lion-O being continually shunned romantically would be the perfect running joke for this show. Like, let's torture and humiliate Lion-O just a little more. And let's say he were to meet one of the Amazon warriors who also knows sight beyond sight, have her shoot him down as well . Or they could just advance the Pumyra angle by saying she actually does like Lion-O but doesn't think she should pursue the king. But whatever, come what may.
    I know, right? For whatever reason, I thought the idea of getting rejected by Cheetara, and then getting together with the next female he met would seem a little too convenient. Yet for some reason, piling on Lion-o's misery just seems like it would be comically satisfying. Don't get me wrong, I like Lion-o, and perhaps more importantly, I want to like the character. I also thought the way the character development progressed in the first season, pairing up Cheetara with Tygra was both dissatisfying and shoddily foreshadowed. While the show should depict his development into a great leader, there's something oddly fascinating about the prospects of his becoming Charlie Brown-like in love.

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I'm glad Lion-O was questioned about his actions following the fall of Thundera. They could have easily skipped pass that and made it a simple resuce mission. She portrayed her hostility towards him very well. I had actually forgotten that any of the cats survived the invasion. I liked the twins story, more so last week. Meeting a fellow theif and questioning the morality of stealing was nice side plot. I also liked how it worked out for the racoon.
    I am glad they addressed it but at the same time it called attention to a hole in the story; Namely that not ONCE did concern for the remaining thundercats ever cross the minds of our heroes. Lion-o's first prioty after thundara fell was attacking mummra, then it was the book of omens, followed by finding the stones, and then uniting the various clans against Mummra is somewhere on that list... throughout all of this no one even thinks to bring up "find out if any thundercats survived". Honestly, not very kingly behavior; for a great king, his subjects should take high priority. you could even excuse lion-o for not thinking of it since he's something of a king in training and thus flawed, but no one else thought of it either. Simply put, the fact that it was never addressed until now just seems like a huge hole in the story.

It would have been nice if there was an episode early on where they do attempt to track down the other cats... they would find signs that they were survivors but with no leads on where they were taken they would have to push on with their next priority and just keep an ear out. Atleast then when this episode came about Lion-o could atleast claim that they tried to find the cats after thundara fell but failed and they had been hoping they would find news of surviving cats ever since.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought that this was an okay episode. I liked the bit of backstory on Panthro's days in the pit, fighting with a dog and only leaving because he didn't want to end up killing his friend. Pumyra seemed like an interesting character with her anger towards Lion-O. Though, I also noticed that huge hole in the story with this being the first time they've mentioned survivors from the fall of Thundera. I don't think it was clear before if the other cats had been killed or been spread across the world into slavery. While I can understand why Lion-O would want to strike Mumm-Ra first, I think it would have been better if either he or one of the other characters mentioned about trying to find other cats. It would help clear up that the Thundercats would have a kingdom to save or return to after defeating Mumm-Ra.

The fight between Pumyra and Lion-O was pretty good, although I think her attitude towards him changed a bit too quickly. The side plot with the kittens was okay, but I would have preferred to reduce that story so that more attention could have been used for the fight. Overall, it was a a pretty enjoyable episode and I hope that Pumyra stays with the cast too. She seemed too interesting to be a one-shot character. I don't know if I like the idea of Lion-O always striking out in love though. It would kind of treat him too much like a joke and it would be nice for something to work out for him. Hopefully, next week's episode will be fun to watch too.

ShadowBlinky is online now Let There Be Snow...man!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutCreature View Post
    Poor Bengali
    Whoever said that Bengali and Pumyra were a couple to begin with??

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to admit that while I liked Tookit's design and voice, he came off as a bit more evil than they probably intended. I mean, he goes and blinds some dog who likely fell to his death afterward, and steals a guy's cane and another guy's button for the sole purposes of tripping the former and possibly killing the latter. Really, considering that all he got out of it was the laundry dog's money, which they get through the sheet they stole from her, there was literally no reason to get the other two involved. It's an interesting power he's got, to be sure, but he's in that weird place where I can't tell if the collateral damage caused by his routine was intentional or simply overlooked by the writers.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlinky View Post
    Whoever said that Bengali and Pumyra were a couple to begin with??
    The fanboy voices that developed in my head after 25 years of creating stories in my imagination that have no bearing on canon or reality?