Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    {Shadow} is offline Toonami - Saturdays 11:30p-6a! Blosics 3 Champion Angry Animals Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TALKBACK - ThunderCats - "Native Son" - [4/14]

Like This Thread!

Episode 017 - - Number 117

Native Son
    premieres
    TODAY at 9:30 AM
    repeats
    SUNDAY at 9:30 AM

This week...
    Lion-O and Tygra find the home of the lost Tiger clan.

kid rabbit is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    whoa we finally find out what happen to loin-O's mom

trance2009 is online now Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to dismiss the mood regarding her death, but she was pretty hot.

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode :anime:
    Nice to learn more about Tygra,We even get to see Lion-O's Mother
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Today's episode is Lion-O and Tygra's 2nd shared "spot light episode" (the 1st being Between Brothers) and it answers some pretty good questions fans have asked!

*Back to "Episode Title Cards" this week.

*It looks like this episode will be similar to The Duelist and The Drifter where it's an adventure for Lion-O and another Cat (granted, the latter had Lion-O with Snarf, who is more of a pet here, but you get the idea). So far the other team members haven't appeared, but we'll see if they show up at the end. Hmm, are they on Hook Mountain?

*There is still some tension between the "Royal Bros." but it does look like it's not as severe as the pre-Trials of Lion-O Two Parter episodes. This episode may bring the brothers at peace with one another...

*Lion-O throwing snowballs at Tygra much to his irritation was a Crowning Moment of Funny! I do know a few people like Tygra, who can't admit when they're wrong. Uh oh, avalanche!

*The brothers manage to find a cave, where they are greeted by a group of cloaked figures, their (seeming) leader is voiced by Jim Cummings!It's great to have him on the show!

*After hearing the older brother's name, the cloaked figures reveal themselves to be Tigers! The one voiced by Jim Cummings is named "Caspin" and confirms that Tygra's biological father is still alive!

*Tygra's biological father's name is revealed to be "Javon" and it sounds like he's voiced by Robin Atkin Dowes (Mumm-Ra and Addicus' voice)! It looks like the fans who theorized that the Tigers stayed loyal to Mumm-Ra were correct! But Caspin quickly interupts, hmm...

*We are treated to a flashback to the times before Thundera's fall, where we get to see Claudus (and hear Larry Kenny's voice) again! We also get to see Lion-O's mother after a very long wait! I had a feeling we'd see her in this episode ever since the title was confirmed! It looks as though they were having troubles having an offspring, though Claudus is right that Nature can't be rushed...

*So Tygra arrived in Thundera by balloon, huh? I must admit, Baby Tygra is adorable! He was very close to the Queen, as well!

*Did anyone else see the Mumm-Ra plushie in Baby Tygra's room? His adoptive parents come to tell him, that he will become an older brother. The Queen looks very sad; most likely because fate has been cruel to Tygra, as the dissolving crown symbolizes...

*Those who theorized the Queen's death was from childbirth were correct. So Lion-O tragically never even got a chance to know his mother. This explains Tygra's resentment towards his younger brother even further...

*Back in the present, Tygra is stemmed at his biological father and demands answers, but Javon says they must leave or else they will also be attacked by monsters!

*Low and behold, demonic creatures have invaded the Tiger Village! Lion-O and Tygra manage to hold them off until they just disappear...

*Jovan and Caspin are in some sort of argument of some sort with pride being involved, very curious. Tygra walks in, but Caspin says it is unimportant and leads the other Tigers out so the father and son can talk alone. Javon's whip looks like Tygra's Original Series whip!

*Lion-O is outside the cave inspecting something when Tygra comes out feeling more warmly towards his biological father! Lion-O points out the unusual events about the Tiger Village, which Tygra is not pleased to hear and accuses Lion-O of being jealous and unhappy for him. Reminds me of what Robert often accused Ray of from Everybody Loves Raymond, except not played for laughs here!

*Still suspicious, Lion-O uses Sight Beyond Sight and sees quite a vision...

*When he finishes seeing the vision, he discovers Javon is standing next to him! Lion-O demands answers stating that Tygra is his brother, which is quite heart warming and shows how much he cares about his older brother!

*We see another flashback where the Tiger Village is apparently being stricken by a terrible disease! Javon and Caspin are arguing about pride once again and the latter convinces the former to call "Ancient Spirits"...

*Yup, it's the Ancient Spirit of Evil, the "Bigger Bads" of ThunderCats, finally making their first "official" appearance in the New Series! In this version they are represented as a Lizard, a Jackal, a Monkey and a Vulture! The former 3 are represented by the species of the General Trio and the latter one seems to be foreshadowing Vultureman will eventually show up...

*I recognize Jim Cummings' voice from the Ancient Spirits of Evil, but I can't tell if others are sharing the role with him or if it's just an "echo effect".

*The Bigger Bads foresee Tygra will be a part of the ThunderCats and order Javon to murder his own son!

*Of course, Javon loves his son and instead sends him off by ballon leading into the events from the earlier flashback...

*Back in the present, Javon continues by explaining to Lion-O that the Ancient Spirits of Evil had cursed the Tiger Village for Javon's actions and the curse will lift if Tygra dies! He begs Lion-O not to tell Tygra the truth...

*Tygra goes to Javon with the wish to stay with his own kind, but Javon sends him away with disownment and cruel words! Of course, we the audience know he's saying this to protect Tygra and out of love, which makes Tygra's ignorance and harsh reply a major Tear Jerker!

*Lion-O asks Tygra what happens, but before anything else can happen, Caspin and some other Tigers attack!

*Luckily, Javon comes to protect his son! Lion-O urges Javon to tell Tygra the truth, which he does and apologizes...

*Ah, so the Tiger's curse is reminiscent of the curse from Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl! The Tigers ARE the demonic creatures! The Ancient Spirits of Evil manifest a fiery image of themselves to urge the cursed Tigers to do the deed!

*The cursed Javon starts to choke his son! Tygra stays calm and tells his cursed biological father how he finally understands what he did was out of love and finally forgives him, a true Crowning Moment of Heart Warming!

*The Tigers are now free from the curse! The Ancient Spirits of Evil obviously didn't think there could be a good/non-evil way to end the curse and vanish (for now)! Javon explains that an act of humility overcame a curse of pride!

*Javon further explains that the curse meant that they could not leave for the After Life even after losing their lives, furthering the similarities with the curse from Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Although he will be departing soon, Javon assures his son that he will still watch over him. Both a Tear Jerker and a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming!

*All that remains of the Tigers is Jovan's whip, which Tygra takes as he laments how he looses all he loves. Lion-O assures his brother that he is still with him, a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming! It looks like the "Royal Brothers" have made peace with another! Any further bickering will probably be just typical sibling teasing!

*I admit, I suspected Bengali (the "albino tiger" who appeared alongside Lynx-O and Pumyra in the Original Series' 2nd Season) would either show up in this episode or at least get a name drop. I guess we'll have to wait and see when he shows up...

*Lion-O and Tygra were the only team members to appear in this episode, making this the only episode that the other team members are absent in (with the exception of Panthro, who was also absent in the first 3 episodes). That makes the "Royal Bros." the only characters to appear in every episode thus far!

An excellent episode! It was great to hear Larry Kenny again, see Lion-O's mother (and Tygra's adoptive mother) for the first time, learn about how Tygra came to be adopted and bring peace to the "Royal Brothers"! The New Series deserves a lot of credit for making Tygra a more interesting character then he was in the Original Series (coming from someone who likes tigers)! Next week's episode puts the spotlight on the team's other "Sibling Duo", the ThunderKittens, WilyKat and WilyKit!
    Last edited by DBTrilogy100; 04-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.

StellaMagic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the Queen has always been attached to Tygra no matter what. She just knew that Tygra can't succeed as king because it's their law for only one born of blood to wield the Sword of Omens, meaning that only Leo's descendants can wield it.

For next week's episode, I think the one who will hunt the Kittens will be Kaynar. He seems to want to hunt the cats for some reason. Plus, this seems more like his style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Considering the episode's subject matter, I'm surprised Bengali never showed up.

The Ancient Spirits of Evil are such trolls.

Avengers is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably my favorite episode of the series, just amazing.

Gregatron is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good episode, but there's one thing I didn't like.

Why are Lion-O and Tygra taking a shortcut through snowy mountains, and where is the rest of the cast? It feels like I missed an episode, even though I didn't.

Particle_Beam is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregatron View Post
    Good episode, but there's one thing I didn't like.

Why are Lion-O and Tygra taking a shortcut through snowy mountains, and where is the rest of the cast? It feels like I missed an episode, even though I didn't.
    Lion-O and Tygra are actually searching for a shortcut, probably leading the rest of the Thundercats through it once they find one.

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was sort of hoping for a Bengali appearance, but oh well.

Overall good episode albeit a little slow. Tygra was getting a little looney tunes there thinking about moving in with the tigers. I mean what about his girlfriend? Doubt Cheetara would've just stayed with him.

But we finally got a Tygra backstory episode. I don't think putting this episode in the first 13 would've worked. Sometimes you got to keep digging before you get your prize you know. All in good time. I think fans are just impatient about storytelling sometimes and they need to let things develop and evolve.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

BigFatHairyDeal is offline Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Count me in among the many who thought we might see Bengali this episode.

I'm guessing they didn't get Larry Kenney to voice Claudis in this episode, or at least it didn't sound like his voice.

Other than those two bits, I really liked this episode. We get a little bit of background for why Tygra is always so sore at Lion-o: his birth cost him both any chance at the thrown, and led to the death of the only mother he ever knew. I think it's interesting that this episode aired after a few episodes in which we might've seen some greater understanding developing between the brothers. Glad to see we finally saw Lion-o's mother. Of course, it also answered the question we all must've asked at some point, specifically how did Claudis come to adopt Tygra as his own son.

Looking forward to next week.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tygra's back story reminded me of two stories in the bible. The story of Moses in regards to the child being sent away and coming to live as a prince of another land and the story of Abraham and Isaac (pretty sure that was the one) in regard to sacrificing a newborn son (a very twisted version of it that is). Not looking for a debate here, it was just what I thought when I saw the episode.

It's no wonder Tygra always had a grudge against Lion-O. He lost the mother who cared for him and his prince hood. Compelling drama I must say.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

FightingDreamer is offline Mutant on the Rise
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    Tygra's back story reminded me of two stories in the bible. The story of Moses in regards to the child being sent away and coming to live as a prince of another land and the story of Abraham and Isaac (pretty sure that was the one) in regard to sacrificing a newborn son (a very twisted version of it that is). Not looking for a debate here, it was just what I thought when I saw the episode.

It's no wonder Tygra always had a grudge against Lion-O. He lost the mother who cared for him and his prince hood. Compelling drama I must say.
    It's funny you say that. When the Ancient Spirits told Javon to go to the highest peak to kill his son and then gave him that dagger, I was thinking, "NICE BIBLE REFERENCE GUYS."

But yeah, this was a pretty solid episode. Always good to hear Jim Cummings in a show like this, and I liked that we got a bittersweet ending.
    “Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we have very little reason to be interested in them."-Pauline Kael

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ah yes Jim Cummings, everyone's favorite go to Disney villain voice. As excepted he played a crafty villain. But first he was a charming inviting guy... like... usual.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

ShadowGUN is offline Hey listen!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode. Good to see Tygra getting an origin episode. Btw did Queen (that what the credits are calling Lion-O mom) ever appear or even mention in the previous series? I know Claudis appear a few times but I can't remember if Lion-O's mom appear in it.
    "Toonami:Tougher than the Best,Stronger than the Rest."

TOONAMI LIVES (5/26/12)

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought that this was a really good episode. It was interesting to get more backstory on Tygra and how he was adopted by the lions. Tygra looked adorable as a baby and a little kid. It really explained why he had a grudge against Lion-O. Not only did his birth cause him to lose being considered a prince, but it also made him lose his mother. That was pretty sad since he seemed to really care about her. While I could understand that Tygra would feel a connection to his birth father that would make him want to stay, I also thought it was kind of sudden, especially with his whole relationship with Cheetara in mind.

The effect the curse had on the whole Tiger clan was interesting and I thought it was touching that even in the face of that disease and evil spirits, Tygra's birth father couldn't kill him. I wasn't quite sure how Tygra forgiving his birth father freed them from that curse. It sounded nice, but it felt kind of a deus ex machina to solve the curse issue. The ending was definitely bittersweet with Tygra losing his birth father and Lion-O trying to comfort him. One of my favorite aspects of this episode was that the two of them acted like brothers. Overall, it was a solid episode with some needed backstory for Tygra. I hope that next week's episode will be fun to watch too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was nice to see Lion-O looking out for Tygra for once and trying to protect him. They do truly come off like brothers now.

-CM Punk

ABrown is online now Father of twins
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McSantos View Post
    Considering the episode's subject matter, I'm surprised Bengali never showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I was sort of hoping for a Bengali appearance, but oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatHairyDeal View Post
    Count me in among the many who thought we might see Bengali this episode.
    Am I missing something? Why were you all expecting Bengali to show up???

I'm guessing they didn't get Larry Kenney to voice Claudis in this episode, or at least it didn't sound like his voice.
    I was wondering the same thing. It definitely didn't sound like him.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Because we saw the synopsis for this episode and though, hey Tygra finds a missing tiger tribe, maybe Bengali is among them since he's a breed of tiger like Tygra. Bengali is like bengal tiger hence Bengali.

-CM Punk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast