Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

CN Talkback: Pokemon BW Rival Destinies: "The Lonely Deino!" [4/7]

Like This Thread!

Join Ash, Pikachu and all of their friends as they continue their journey through the Unova region and battle against more Pokemon and try to reach their goals.

Recently:
    Meowth is traveling around with Ash and his friends and Scraggy learned Hi-Jump Kick.
    Ash and his friends finally arrive in Nimbasa City only to find out that Meowth was tricking them this whole time in order to steal all of the Pokemon from the Pokemon Center.
    Team Rocket's plan to steal the Pokemon from the Pokemon Center fails, Meowth goes back to Team Rocket and Tepig learns Flamethrower.
    Bianca lost to Elesa and almost had to go back to her hometown, but her friendship with Ash, Cilan and Iris convinced her father to let her continue her journey.
    Ash defeated Elesa and earned his fourth Unova Gym badge.
    Ash met with Alder, the Unova Champion, for the first time.

Last Time:
    Scraggy And The Demanding Gothita!"
    As our heroes continue traveling to Driftveil City, they meet a trainer who is having problems with her Gothita. Gothita develops a crush on Scraggy and the trainer, Katarine, asks for Ash to trade his Scraggy. When Ash refuses, she challenges him to a battle and if he loses, he has to trade away Scraggy. Will Ash be able to win this battle and keep Scraggy?

This Time:
    “The Lonely Deino!"
    Saturday, April, 7th, 8:30am Eastern
    Encore: Sunday, April, 15th, 8:30am Eastern
    On their way to Driftveil City, our heroes come across a trainer with his three Deino. He has a problem with one of his Deino. It is so shy and nervous that it refuses to eat. Iris decides to help this Deino out while its trainer makes a quick trip. When the trainer doesn't return, Ash and his friends try to find him. How will Iris handle this Deino and can they find its trainer?

Notes:
    The 15th season of Pokemon is here and ready to continue promoting the new fifth generation Pokemon.
    Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 were recently announced and are planned to be release in the U.S. this fall. Though we don't know how these games will affect the anime at the moment.
    Re-runs of Pokemon BW are now on weekdays at 8:00am with premier episodes now starting at 8:30am.
    Please stay on topic when discussing the episode and do not focus on any kind of edits.
    Please avoid using spoilers in these talkbacks. Thank you.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the first episode I've seen in a VERY long time. I accidentally got up an hour earlier and saw it, hmm, might make a habit of doing that, I'm kind of interested in what's up with the new not just comic relief Team Rocket. Wish I could start at the beginning (Hah, wish, get it).
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Yoshi Mage View Post
    This is the first episode I've seen in a VERY long time. I accidentally got up an hour earlier and saw it, hmm, might make a habit of doing that, I'm kind of interested in what's up with the new not just comic relief Team Rocket. Wish I could start at the beginning (Hah, wish, get it).
    Personally, I lost interest in the "serious" Team Rocket awhile ago. They're not as intimdating or competent as the series wants to make us believe in my opinion. Their plans are still full of holes and they often just resort back to stealing Pokemon like before, minus the comedy relief. Pokemon.com started uploading episodes from the first season a few weeks ago, so you might be able to watch the earlier episodes from there.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was okay. I totally forgot that Ash had a Swadloon and despite being involved in a practice match, it still doesn't do anything. Deino attacking Iris when she was so sure that she could handle the situation was pretty funny. I was glad that neither Ash or Iris caught the Deino. While seeing Ash raise another Dragon type would be kind of cool, he already has far too many Pokemon already, most of which are either forgettable and/or have little development/screentime, so adding another Pokemon would just be problematic at this point. As for Iris, I honestly really don't want her to capture another Pokemon. All of her Pokemon have just been poorly handled, just like her character, and I think adding a new Pokemon would just lead to more bad writing. Though, I used to like the idea of Iris capturing a Deino and how having another Dragon type would affect Axew, but not anymore.

I thought that Bobbie was fun character of the day. He was energetic and did enjoy his work, despite being unable to take care of the three Deino on his own. I felt bad for the Deino that was too shy to eat the food they gave it. I thought that the story Iris told it was kind of nice. I'm geting kind of tired of The Village of Dragons being so glorified though. I think I would have preferred if Iris was just a Gym apprentice in-training and sent to travel with Axew in order to become a better trainer instead of creating this village. It just gives the writers an excuse to make Iris look more special with her skills as a trainer than she really is. Though, at least the story explained where Iris' method came from, rather than just naturally being a part of her understanding of Dragon Pokemon. While Iris' determination to help it was nice and all, it really didn't feel like they had bonded that much in the end. Maybe it helps that there wasn't much on the line with this Deino compared to other wild Pokemon or ones that already have a trainer. It seemed like Deino was still eating enough to function and not starve itself based on how it didn't dive into eating after it got comfortable with Iris.

I knew that Iris suggesting for Ash and Cilan to go on ahead without her wouldn't work. The writers aren't going to let a main character leave the group before they're done with Unova at least. I did get a good laugh when Iris got mad at that one trainer who was coming for a different Pokemon. I didn't think that the trainer had abandoned it, but I wasn't expecting him to get lost in Chargestone Cave. It looked really cool in the anime. While I still don't think that Iris and Deino were that close and I'm extremely glad that Iris didn't end up taking the Deino with her, I thought it was cute how Deino turned around to say thanks before it went back to its Pokeball. Despite being focused on Iris, it doesn't feel like she's changed at all. She didn't learn anything new, she didn't achieve any growth and she's no closer to achieving her goal than she was at the beginning. Iris keeps saying that she wants to be a Dragon Master and she wants to get stronger, but the problem is that she doesn't actually do anything to achieve her goal. Axew is still pretty useless for the most part when it isn't battling against Scraggy or Team Rocket and Axew rarely battles to begin with, which just makes it harder for Iris to achieve her goal. Iris feels like a static character right now with little, if any, effort being put into her character. At this point, I just hope that the sixth generation games either bring back Contests or introduce a new sidequest that the female character of the group can participate in so that the female character of the next series actually feels like she serves a purpose beyond promoting new Pokemon.

Overall, I did enjoy the episode. The Deino were cute and I always like seeing a Pokemon I've raised in the games in the anime. Bobbie was a fun character and I liked seeing a bit more into how a Pokemon Daycare works in the anime. I hope that next week's episode will be fun to watch too.

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love how Team Rocket says they don't know the meaning of the word "fail", yet we all know that's only happened like 9000 times.

ChildHood90s is offline Loves his coffee
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sad that I missed this. Though I'm glad CN posts these to their website now.