Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    {Shadow} is online now Toonami - Saturdays 11:30p-6a! Blosics 3 Champion Angry Animals Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TALKBACK - ThunderCats - "The Trials of Lion-O, Part 2" - [4/7]

Like This Thread!

Episode 016 - - Number 116

The Trials of Lion-O, Part 2
    premieres
    TODAY at 9:30 AM
    repeats
    SUNDAY at 9:30 AM

This week...
    Lion-O launches a rescue mission to save the team from Mumm-Ra's pyramid.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if the new clips or the previews went up yet. But you can watch them on YouTube if you don't want to wait before the episode.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tygra's acting more like Lion-O every second now. Not so easy, it seems.

Blackmanba is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The ending was fairly obvious! As Lion-O is the main character we knew they wouldn't just kill him off, so the whole he fails the test but still keeps his life ending was expected.

Lord Mawdryn is offline Board Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I noticed that Will Friedle wrote this episode--now that's getting into your character.

Loved how WilyKit had unswerving belief in Lion-O's return and Tygra realizing that being king is harder than it seems. They all pledging their loyalty to Lion-O in the end was kinda moving for me...

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A week later and Part II of this condensed adaptation (written by the voice of Lion-O, himself) airs!

*Looks like we get another "recap moment" and episode title "in" the episode.

*We begin with the rest of the Cats outside of Mumm-Ra's Pyramid, I liked how Panthro mentioned his first "visit" there with Grune, as seen in the flashbacks from Old Friends.

*Tygra brings up to Cheetara his boasts to Lion-O about how he should be king. It was a nice touch for him to reflect on it in light of what happened to his younger brother...

*WilyKat finally notices what his sister has been doing. This marks the 2nd time (the 1st being Into The Astral Plane) where we see the Kittens butt heads with each other. Kat agrees with the others, but Kit still has faith in Lion-O' return and brings up the Elephants from the "Spirit Stone Arc".

*The 3rd Trial takes place in a Spirit Replica of the Thundera Throne Room with the opponent being a Spirit Replica of Panthro! For those curious to know, Panthro's Trial was the 1st one in the Original Series, the Kittens' was the 3rd one. Ah, so they're going with a "sumo style match" for this Trial.

*Lion-O trying (and failing) to get Spirit Replica Panthro out of the ring was a Crowning Moment of Funny!

*Ah, so Lion-O used his authority as King to get Spirit Replica Panthro out of the ring! A way to show that Strength isn't just physical force, but in Leadership as well, clever! With the "Trial of Strength" complete, that just leaves one more...

*Back in the Living World, the rest of the Cats enter Mumm-Ra's Pyramid and trip the alarms in the process! Now Tygra is starting to fell the pressures of being a king! I suspected tygra's weaknesses as King would be shown in this part...

*Tygra said "Whiskers!", that was actually pretty hilarious!

*WilyKit pulls out her flute once again and this is the 2nd time since the 1st episode that we see the flute's power to put others in a hypnotic trance!

*Lion-O's 4th (and final) Trial is located in a Spirit Replica of the "Race Arena" seen in the 1st episode! Given the process of elimination, his opponent is, of course, a Spirit Replica of his adoptive older brother, Tygra!

*For those unfamiliar with the Original Series, Tygra's Trial was the "Trial of Mind Power", where he used psychic-like abilities that he only used in that episode. The explanation for why he never used this power before or after was, because it creates a major strain on him when he uses it and he was saving it for the Trial. So far, the New Series Version of the Trial doesn't seem to have that power.

*I guess this version of the 4th Trial could be called the "Trial of Will Power".

*Spirit Replica Tygra claims that Lion-O, himself, doesn't think he is worthy of being King and rings the bell...

*Lion-O actually failed a Trial! I didn't see that coming! What will happen to Lion-O now?

*Mumm-Ra, the Generals and some cloaked Lizards are about to perform a ritual to extract the Eye of Thundera from Sword of Omens! Mumm-Ra's pose reminds me of the pose Aganhim used in his ritual from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past!

*Tygra decides to just assault the villains (which is in his character, as shown in Into The Astral Plane), the other Cats are opposed to the idea, but he still orders it anyway and makes the ThunderCats battle cry!

*The Cats fight valiantly, but they are eventually over-powered! WilyKit isn't completely worried as she feels they bought Lion-O enough time. Kat still believes him to be gone, but his sister still has faith in his survival...

*Speaking of Lion-O, he is brought back to the main chamber of the Trials, where Jaga confirms Lion-O's failure to the young lord. Lion-O says he'll give anything to help his friends, even his own soul! Jaga informs him that the Spirit Stone can bring him back to life until sunrise! It looks like they will be adapting the 5th Trial, after all! Ah, I see where they're going with this...

*Lion-O returns to the Living World and finds the mark WilyKit left for him! Following the trail, he stands before Mumm-Ra's Pyramid...

*The trapped Cats lament over their seeming failure. Tygra admits his short comings as King and acknowledges that Lion-O had his strengths as King. I knew Lion-O wouldn't be the only Cat to learn a lesson from this 2 Parter...

*WilyKit remains the only one to believe in Lion-O's survival, despite the disagreement of her teammates! It is a true Crowning Moment of Hart Warming to see her have such faith in him!

*Lion manages to sneak into the Pyramid and finds the General Trio. It was funny and cool to see the trio make small talk like that! It also looks like Slithe has grown to enjoy Kaynar and Addicus' company.

*Lion-O applies what he learned in the Trials and easy beats the Generals by trapping them! Crowning Moment of Awesome!

*Lion-O finds his teammates and frees them, all while WilyKit proclaims how she was right! The Kittens hugging him and Tygra calling him "your highness" was a Crowning Moment of Heart Warming!

*Lion-O has shown a lot of growth and maturity coming back from the Trials! I think fans can rest easy that Lion-O has gained more Character Development for the episodes to come!

*The Cats fight off the cloaked Lizards as Lion-O confronts Mumm-Ra! I must admit, I'm surprised Mumm-Ra wasn't at least a little surprised at Lion-O's survival, but no matter.

*Mumm-Ra's awesome transformation sequence from Between Brothers is back! It looks like they added a few extra moments to it!

*Lion-O manages to get back the Sword of Omens and holds Mumm-Ra off! I know some we're worried about Mumm-Ra getting defeated again, but I think it was handled well here. Mumm-Ra look like he could have kept going and taken more of a beating if it went on, but felt like not wasting his time.

*Sunrise arrives and Lion-O sadly believes he must now leave his teammates, much to their confusion and sadness. But the ghost of Jaga appears before them to reveal that completing the "5th Trial" and selflessly sacrificing himself for his people has earned him his second chance of Life, as we had expected!

*After Jaga leaves with the best of wishes, the other Cats begin to ask Lion-O of these Trials him and Jaga were talking about. The episode ends as Lion-O begins his story...

Awesome episode, one of the best in the Series, if you ask me! Seeing this part helped strengthen Part I and both parts were a great adaptation of this classic arc! Next week will answer question's regarding the other "Royal Brother"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jaga: Just kidding! You were never actually in any danger. The spirit stone can ressurect you as many times as you want. I just made up all that stuff about having to earn a second chance. That'll learn ya'!

The odds are starting to tip too far in favor of the good guys. They should let Mumm-ra find the next stone to balance things out a bit.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think what I did appreciate about this episode is that Tygra recognized he was too hard and critical of Lion-O as he realized how complicated leadership can be. I'm hoping now that Lion-O has been given a second chance he can get over what's happened with Tygra/Cheetara and move on. Besides they are going to meet up with Pumyra in a few episodes.

Enjoy the next 10 episodes guys at it looks like that will be it for the show.

-CM Punk

Edward15 is offline To The Toons Of The 2000's!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Enjoy the next 10 episodes guys at it looks like that will be it for the show.
    How do you know? The series might be renewed for another season.

Anyway, Will did a good job on this episode. Perhaps he should write more often.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. Show was not announced as returning at the upfronts.

2. Toys are not selling. No new toys are coming out this year.

3. Cartoon Network barely even promotes the show and acts like they can't be bothered to ever mention Thundercats.

This show was made to help sell the toys and if the toys are not selling like Masters of the Universe from 2002, it gives little juice to keep the show around any longer. Bandai USA was a terrible choice as a toy licensor and they killed interest in the line.

-CM Punk

HEATXZ is offline Duck Knght
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode :anime:
    Good to have Lion-O alive and fight Mumm-Ra
    Greatest Funniest Character nominations ,Feel free to visit my Toonzone Blog

Edward15 is offline To The Toons Of The 2000's!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    1. Show was not announced as returning at the upfronts.
    Neither was Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, but that show is bound to get renewed.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've already addressed the Scooby Doo matter. Those episodes were already announced and are already done or nearly done and premiering next month. Upfronts didn't count that or the Thundercats episodes that will be on throughout the summer.

-CM Punk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do we have to get into an argument about whether or not the show is cancelled in every single talkback thread? Can't we just discuss the episode?

BigFatHairyDeal is online now Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just turned on the DVR and caught the episode.

I liked it. I admit, I was kind of disappointed that Lion-o got off the hook that, um, easily? I was sort of hoping that the other Thundercats could've made an offering or sacrifice themselves to save Lion-o's soul. Either way, I thought the trials were handled pretty well this episode, especially considering how little time they had to spend covering them. I don't know if we should read into the fact that in the trials, Lion-o still couldn't beat Tygra. It would be interesting if that scenario were somehow revisited in the future.

Normally, I don't bother to check who wrote the episode, but for some reason I did today and noticed it was Will Friedle. After watching the Batman Beyond DVD extras, I'm guessing he's a guy who really pays attention to storylines and is a real fan of the shows he works on.

Looking forward, I think Mumm-ra is due for a decisive victory.

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    Neither was Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, but that show is bound to get renewed.
    The second season of 26 was announced at LAST YEARS upfront. So it's a different deal.

This will be it for Thundercats sadly, unless the spirit stone gives it a second chance at life. It's sad because this Thundercats is so much better then the first series was and that one lasted for over a hundred episodes. It's not fair.

Lord Mawdryn is offline Board Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From what I understand, a decision hasn't been made yet, so CN couldn't announce it's been renewed at the upfronts. I think they're waiting to see how the episodes that have been produced so far do before giving thumbs up or thumbs down...

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe..."

Lighthammer is online now Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great episode.

This was a very interesting take on the trials from the original Thundercats series. I liked it a lot!

BigFatHairyDeal is online now Defender of the Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragnatek View Post
    This will be it for Thundercats sadly, unless the spirit stone gives it a second chance at life. It's sad because this Thundercats is so much better then the first series was and that one lasted for over a hundred episodes. It's not fair.
    It's important to make the distinction that you don't compete against history, you compete against your contemporaries. The storytelling of the current show is better, but I'd say almost any current cartoon that aims for serious storytelling is better than any American cartoon from the mid-80's. If these talkbacks are indicative of anything, the original show surpassed the current one in being able to distinguish itself from its generation. A reasonable question to ask is if the current show would be successful, or even green-lit, if it didn't have the name "Thundercats."

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McSantos View Post
    Do we have to get into an argument about whether or not the show is cancelled in every single talkback thread? Can't we just discuss the episode?
    I don't think that the discussion of whether or not the show is going to be renewed has come up that often. I don't remember it being a major discussion in the other episode talkbacks before the information from the Upfront was released. As long as it doesn't completely dominate the episode talkbacks, I don't see the problem with talking about the show's future.

Anyway, I thought that this was a pretty good episode. I thought that the last two trials went a bit too quick, though more with the test against Panthro than Tygra. The trial against Panthro felt like a way to make Lion-O look like a stronger leader than he actually is, to me at least. I was surprised that he actually lost against Tygra though. I knew that it would be the most challenging one for Lion-O, but I figured that he would be able to overcome it somehow. It said a lot more about Lion-O's emotional state by being unable to defeat Tygra. Despite how he tries to become a good king, he still has self-doubt due to how much better Tygra has been in everything. Not to mention his anger still clouds his judgment and prevents him from making the best decision.

Personally, I would have liked to see Tygra make some good decisions as the temporary King. I understand that they wouldn't let him be a better leader than Lion-O and it was nice that he realized that being King is much more difficult than he thought it would be, but considering how he has been depicted as being so much better than Lion-O, it would have been kind of interesting to see him make a couple of good decisions before Lion-O came back. I liked how Kit was so sure that Lion-O would come back and referred back to the elephants. Their lessons really clicked for her.

I also thought that Lion-O got off a bit too easy at the end. Even the way he got the sword back felt a bit too easy. I knew that they wouldn't kill him off for good, but I would have liked to see everyone's reactions to learning what Lion-O sacrificed and then offered to do something to keep Lion-O alive. That could have showed how they care about Lion-O and how they're such a good team. Still, it was a pretty enjoyable episode and I think that Will Friedle did a relatively good job with writing it out. It definitely shows how much he's involved with the show and his character. Hopefully, next week's episode will be fun to watch too.