Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TheCtes is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

NEPTR is so hillarious xD

Episode was surely interesting, but it's at times like this that Finn starts to get annoying imo. Therefore it's alwaya good to have Jake around for sobr laughs.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    What I think would really help is if the show can find more for flame princess to do than JUST being a love interest for Finn. One thing that made FinnXBubblegum work is the fact that most of their interactions were platonic and thus they could address the relationship in a more subtle manner where as this came off as being a bit too in your face. Sometimes less is more. Hopefully that is something we will see in future episodes when flame princess shows up again
    Agreed. One of the things that bugs me most about Adventure Time is how there aren't any female characters on the show who aren't just potential girlfriends or token chicks, and this episode didn't do anything to dissuade that notion. This whole thing just feels so rushed; they just plonked this new princess into the show without any real introduction or explanation about her, just so Finn can have a new love interest his own age? It smacks more of fan fiction than something you'd actually expect on the show.

It also didn't paint Finn in a very favorable light; he just met this girl and already he can't live without her? Sorry, I'm just not feeling this storyline.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbro View Post
    One of the things that bugs me most about Adventure Time is how there aren't any female characters on the show who aren't just potential girlfriends or token chicks, and this episode didn't do anything to dissuade that notion.
    Actually I disagree; Princess Bubblegum may be a potential love interest for Finn but the writers clearly do a lot more with her; She has her own quirks, personality and interests and is able to go through a whole episode without the love interest angle even being mentioned. And then there is Marceline; only ONCE has she ever been played as a potential love interest for Finn but it seems like that episode was more there in order to sink their ship since the two made it clear they don't see each other that way and the notion of them getting together has not been played with since. Marceline and Bubblegum are each able to drive the plot for a whole episode without the mere mention of relationships; hell their is enough to their characters that they could probably even carry an episode on their own without Finn and Jake. There are also minor characters like Lumpy space princess and Tree Trunks... Lady Rainicorn is the only character that only existed as a girl friend before FP showed up

Really between PB, Marcy and FP, the whole potential girlfriend stigma is something that only really applies to and flame princess because she was interoduced that way and its the only role her character has shown to play thus far... it would be best if the writers can try to push her above it as that is what will make her an interesting character in her own right; though she's already has a bit of a handicap since unlike PB, she introduced as a potential GF which helps stick the notion

Based on episode titles for the rest of the season, i'm guessing we will see her atleast 2 more times. So hopefully she can show herself to be more than JUST a potential girlfriend; but that can be difficult given how Finn feels. Its essentially implied than anytime the two are together it will be regarding their relationship; Two need to have a more platonic encounter to help FP show that there is more to her character

It also didn't paint Finn in a very favorable light; he just met this girl and already he can't live without her? Sorry, I'm just not feeling this storyline.
    Well its not like its a new one. "love at first sight" is a trope that's older than dirt, is even true to real life and it doesn't help that Finn is still a kid. Crushing hard on cute girls/guys is what a lot of young teens wind up doing. Where they go with it and how it develops will be what determines if its just a shallow crush or true love.

kid rabbit is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never saw Marcelline as a potential girlfriend besides from the playful flirting which Finn knows
    she likes messing with him
    she more like a big sister or older neighbor girl who likes to play game

Kieran Pertnav is offline Self-confidence!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't wanna start a flame war or anything (ha-ha) but I've honestly been really disappointed with the AT talkback threads as of late. They've been really unsophisticated and immature and much of the fandom has just become blatant demands for fanservice.

I've never been much of a fan of shipping, or relationships in cartoons but this episode was really sweet. I can't believe people think Finn is a "crybaby" the whole point of the episode was that he was honest and showed his emotions and was able to change Flame Princess's mind. It also goes deeper into his character and into the fact that he always falls for girls who are too old for him or now his elemental opposite, and yet his character comes off as more likable because of that, because he's a defiant romantic.

The show has taken on a level of depth over the past season that has really taken it above and beyond. It's still just as weird and funny and quirky as it ever was, but now that the characters have had the time to expand their relationships and grow within their universe, it manages a level of pathos in 11 minutes that most show's can't in twice or even four times that time. It's a real testament to the show's creators that they can deliver episodes that are funny but feature characters who deal with real pain and have interesting relationships with each other.

King9 is offline Embraced One
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran Pertnav View Post
    The show has taken on a level of depth over the past season that has really taken it above and beyond. It's still just as weird and funny and quirky as it ever was, but now that the characters have had the time to expand their relationships and grow within their universe, it manages a level of pathos in 11 minutes that most show's can't in twice or even four times that time. It's a real testament to the show's creators that they can deliver episodes that are funny but feature characters who deal with real pain and have interesting relationships with each other.
    I've noticed that also. I feel AT always had that, but season 3 really took it up a notch. Ice King's backstory! They took it there and now I can't look at Ice King the same way, that's powerful. Ghost Princess is another example of sudden potent emotional scenes. Great season.
    Toonzone Bronies - "We would be honored to have you." ~ Twilight Sparkle

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Remember people Finn is a Thirteen year old boy maybe fourteen now and these type of feelings would be new to him and he would not completely know how to deal with them. So it does make sense that he acts very different around his crushes, he has always acted strange around PB when he thinks of her that way.

Now I do agree that there needs to be something more to Flame Princess, that she should not just be a love interest. Adventure time has been good at not giving us character with shallow defined purposes and I don't want Flame Princess to be the exception.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2