Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    looking335 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

I think it was overall poor writing. Though many seem ok with Season 1. It got ridiculously repetitive. The whole 'raging EVO' was great in the beginning but became too cyclic. We are not in the era of Looney Toons where we can just slap the characters in a scene and let them do what they do best, although the show has actually done this. Animated shows have transcended this. They have become more movie-like in that there are plots, character growth/development, drama, suspense, mystery, etc. Rex has rarely lived up to that. I know I sound like a broken record but how many shows in this era have gone *this* long without revealing absolutely anything about the show's existence? I'm referencing the Nanite Event, Rex, etc.--i.e. the core of why this show exists. 3 seasons and only now are we getting anything useful. What animated show in this era has such a weak concept/writing/whatever? It is sad because I was hooked on Generator Rex from the start. Rex has had very little growth. How many episodes in how many seasons has he gone to battle with such high cockyness? How are we supposed to appreciate Rex's growth when there's really nothing to challenge him? So, are we supposed to sit back for three (yes, three) seasons and constantly cheer Rex on as he 'kicks butt'? 'A Brief History of Time' was the disappointment I've come to expect from this show. If I were to compare it with other Generator Rex episodes, then thumbs way up; but this show had so much obvious potential. If anyone is familiar with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, you probably also noticed the connection. How is it VK now has the ability to survive outside of Abysus? The show constantly makes changes with zero explanation. The concept of waiting until the very end to get all questions answered is unacceptable and a poor tactic and it makes me think no one really knows the answers.

Though I am a fan, I can not see this show moving into another season.

What went wrong? For me, it was terrible writing. We've all beaten the bad shows enough but I'm more referencing character development and plot. As much as I like the show, if I was in a decision making role for this show, I would cut my losses. How can this show really compete with other shows out there? If VK is the villain, geez, establish it and move on. Why must his plans (whether going grocery shopping or creating a time machine) be covered in secrecy and we limp along to the next episode hoping for something to be revealed? At some point, plans do need to be revealed. In one minute, the show tries to establish a complicated and complex plot (let's use the Nanite event as our example or VK, the supposed villain, as another) and in another minute, we get a mindless, silly plot (pick one). My gosh, how many times has Transformers been re-invented yet Transformers Prime is successful.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

KPTitan is offline The Doc is in...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looking335 View Post
    How is it VK now has the ability to survive outside of Abysus?
    He's one of the original scientists that worked on the Nanite Project... take a guess.
    "I respect that you don't eat meat. Please respect that I don't eat fake meat." - Raven, Teen Titans

"There's my tax dollars at work, coming to arrest me." - Riley Poole, National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He has not needed to stay in Abysus since the nature of his powers changed in the season one finale. It was his old plant based Evo powers that were connected to Abysus and after he lost those nanites and later drained rex's nanites and became pretty much the anti rex (can create Evos instead of cure them) his connection to Abysus was no longer a factor.

Sure that was never stated in the show but to me that's just a common sense thing. It was his powers that were connected to abysus that much was stated and his powers did change so the connection is gone.

There is nothing wrong with an action show being mostly or completely composed of stand alone episodes. Batman the animated series people Batman the animated series. We don't need dome huge plot that is continued though out most or all the series when the individual 22 minute episodes are all great. Yes the quality of writing is what matters but moving away from the story and doing a stand alone episode is not a bad thing if that stand alone episode is well done too.

And Season three has given us less stand alone filler episodes they seem to mainly used as a break compared to how much darker the plot is getting near the end and there is clear story movement in season three. Sure it
    Last edited by Dragnatek; 02-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragnatek View Post
    And Season three has given us less stand alone filler episodes they seem to mainly be a break compared to how much darker the plot is getting near the end and there is clear story movement in season three. Come on it seems obvious to me the story is wrapping up now.
    Exactly, so I really don't see the point in continuing to drive the show's flaws and issues into the ground.

It almost seems like whenever these types of threads for this show pop up, people go "oh looky here, another thread that I can endlessly complain about the show in". What's funny is that whenever this has happened before in other threads (for example, the blog criticizing Problem Solverz), people actually got ripped for endlessly complaining about the show in that thread. If people can get in trouble for endlessly complaining about Problem Solverz, then I don't see why people can't get in trouble for endlessly complaining about Generator Rex. Talk about your double-standards in this forum...

We get it... c'mon people, there's only 5 episodes left and things are clearly wrapping up for the finale. The show's almost over, I think it's time to give it a rest, don't you?
    "I respect that you don't eat meat. Please respect that I don't eat fake meat." - Raven, Teen Titans

"There's my tax dollars at work, coming to arrest me." - Riley Poole, National Treasure: Book of Secrets

looking335 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragnatek
    He has not needed to stay in Abysus since the nature of his powers changed in the season one finale. It was his old plant based Evo powers that were connected to Abysus and after he lost those nanites and later drained rex's nanites and became pretty much the anti rex (can create Evos instead of cure them) his connection to Abysus was no longer a factor.

Sure that was never stated in the show but to me that's just a common sense thing. It was his powers that were connected to abysus that much was stated and his powers did change so the connection is gone.

There is nothing wrong with an action show being mostly or completely composed of stand alone episodes. Batman the animated series people Batman the animated series. We don't need dome huge plot that is continued though out most or all the series when the individual 22 minute episodes are all great. Yes the quality of writing is what matters but moving away from the story and doing a stand alone episode is not a bad thing if that stand alone episode is well done too.

And Season three has given us less stand alone filler episodes they seem to mainly used as a break compared to how much darker the plot is getting near the end and there is clear story movement in season three. Sure it
    Dragnatek, thanks for your VK explanation. The rest I'll just concede to agree to disagree.

---------------
    Quote Originally Posted by KPTitan View Post
    Exactly, so I really don't see the point in continuing to drive the show's flaws and issues into the ground.

It almost seems like whenever these types of threads for this show pop up, people go "oh looky here, another thread that I can endlessly complain about the show in". What's funny is that whenever this has happened before in other threads (for example, the blog criticizing Problem Solverz), people actually got ripped for endlessly complaining about the show in that thread. If people can get in trouble for endlessly complaining about Problem Solverz, then I don't see why people can't get in trouble for endlessly complaining about Generator Rex. Talk about your double-standards in this forum...

We get it... c'mon people, there's only 5 episodes left and things are clearly wrapping up for the finale. The show's almost over, I think it's time to give it a rest, don't you?
    Where you see 'complaining about the show', is answering the original poster's inquiry. If my response did not provide my answer to the question (in addition to supportive arguments to my response), then I apologize I've offended you.

There is no point having a discussion in ... ummm ... a discussion forum here. How sad. The original question was 'What Went Wrong?' How could you not expect to find mention of the show's flaws in here?

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KPTitan View Post

Please calm down. I understand that you don't like that people are describing the flaws in a series that you really like, but the complaints here have not been problematic. I don't think you are assuming too much with that double-standards comments. We're not playing favorites with negative comments on one show is okay, while it isn't for another. Many complaints about Problem Solverz, that I've seen at least, have been insulting and disrespectful. Pretty much everyone who has posted so far has provide a calm and respectful reason as to what they think went wrong with Generator Rex, so that's a major difference. If you honestly think that some of the complaints about the series in this or any other thread are becoming more problematic, then just use the report button and one of the moderators will decide if action needs to be taken or not. Please stop complaining about comments about the show's flaws that are not problematic like this. Thank you.

I don't think that the fact that there's only five episodes left should mean that people should move on from the shows flaws. Even though season three has been providing more episodes on the storyline and they are gearing up for a finale, it doesn't change that the series does have problems. In my opinion, there's no reason why they couldn't have introduced some of the information about the nanite event in the second season instead of stalling for the third season. The first few episodes of this season were also pretty dull when they could have spent the time showcasing how much has changed during the six month time skip. It has definitely gotten better, but I don't think that should mean people can't comment on its flaws.

Plus, like looking335 mentioned, with a thread entitled "Generator Rex: What Went Wrong?," it's pretty obvious that people are going to comment on the show's problems. However, there have been a few comments on the lack of promotions and reruns that affected Generator Rex, so it isn't like everyone is claiming that the poor writing or the amount of filler episodes in season two are the only reasons people are mentioning in their posts.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Basically it had a decent run. Kinda hoped it would gain Ben 10 levels of popularity, but that's how it goes.

Triant is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLeague View Post
    Cartoon Network added clips from "Mind Games" and "Hermanos" to their website today, though the episodes themselves are not on their website.
    Doesn't anyone else find this extremely obnoxious of them? Airing clips of an episode they pulled off the schedule the day before it was supposed to air?

I know they're on iTunes. I am not sure I care; I already paid the cable bill this month, and I shouldn't have to pay again for stuff that should have been there.

I am half-tempted to e-mail CN asking about this, but based on previous behavior when it comes to scheduling practices, they are more likely to just pull the clips off the website as opposed to uploading the episodes.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triant View Post
    Doesn't anyone else find this extremely obnoxious of them? Airing clips of an episode they pulled off the schedule the day before it was supposed to air?

I know they're on iTunes. I am not sure I care; I already paid the cable bill this month, and I shouldn't have to pay again for stuff that should have been there.

I am half-tempted to e-mail CN asking about this, but based on previous behavior when it comes to scheduling practices, they are more likely to just pull the clips off the website as opposed to uploading the episodes.
    I do think it's a little strange for them to show mere clips, and yet not the whole episodes. But, this is Cartoon Network we're talking about I guess. I have tried to contact them several times in the past about multiple issues, and like every other typical big corporation, they never answer and probably don't even bother to read their feedback messages and emails most of the time.

As much as a pain in the butt in can be to some people, if you really want to see where the show goes in the end, our best bet is through iTunes, Zune, and other similar places. As long as they continue to release the rest of the episodes through that stuff, especially iTunes since that's my only way of viewing them, I'm honestly not all that bothered about it getting pulled from the schedule. If they don't release the remaining episodes in some other form, then that's where we need to be worried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah guys, do any of you really know how to use the term filler properly?

Collins1717 is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lets all be honesty here, kids are being bored of the new shows exactly like the old ones. Especially ones that have somewhat of the same plot, though a different story line. These "heros" are all the same on cartoon network, just different powers and skills. Their team is also differently made up. Generator Rex was a good show unfortunately it could not match up to a show that has already been on Cartoon Network long before it (a.k.a Ben 10).

I would like to point out, however, the bad rep. Cartoon Network has been getting by both kids and parents. Some of their most popular shows are too mature for their target audience.I can provide accurate examples, if you want to ask. Which means that Cartoon Network really is going down hill, and has been for a while. Parents are even turning towards, Nick or Disney to stop their kids from watching Cartoon Network. It's actually sort of sad. It use to be that Adult Swim was on at 11pm and now they have shows that, unknowingly, show the same content as those Adult Swim shows. Might as well let young kids watch Family Guy or South Park because they will find it equally as funny.

In fact, I'm not sure if they will make it to their 30th anniversary, if they don't change.

Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins1717 View Post

I would like to point out, however, the bad rep. Cartoon Network has been getting by both kids and parents. Some of their most popular shows are too mature for their target audience.I can provide accurate examples, if you want to ask. Which means that Cartoon Network really is going down hill, and has been for a while. Parents are even turning towards, Nick or Disney to stop their kids from watching Cartoon Network. It's actually sort of sad. It use to be that Adult Swim was on at 11pm and now they have shows that, unknowingly, show the same content as those Adult Swim shows. Might as well let young kids watch Family Guy or South Park because they will find it equally as funny.

In fact, I'm not sure if they will make it to their 30th anniversary, if they don't change.
    Uh, no. Actually, Cartoon Network is doing better than ever in the ratings, while Disney and Nick have been faltering for some time now. Adventure Time and Regular Show and many other Cartoon Netowrk shows have a lot of fans, and many of their shows are breaking the three million viewer barrier occaisionally, which rarely has happened in years past. I don't really hear any complaints about the content of today's Cartoon Network shows. The content in today's Cartoon Network shows are not really all that different from the late 90's/early 2000's content standards. The only difference is that now they bother to place a TV-PG rating on them. But go back and watch old episodes of Dexter's Laboratory and the Powerpuff Girls and you'll find plenty of mature jokes, all of which rivaling the ones you'll find on Regular Show and Adventure Time.

But none of Cartoon Network's originals right now have the same content as stuff like Family Guy on [adult swim]. The Brak Show and early Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, maybe, but not freaking Family Guy. You'd have to be really easily offended to make such a comparison.

Also, Cartoon Network is actually thriving right now. Great schedule, popular and strong shows, limited live action. The ways things are now, Cartoon Network will easily make it to it's 30th anniversary.

Oh, and to the point of the topic, Generator Rex's flaws were poorly planned story and character arcs, little interesting qualities in it to differentiate it from other action series, a main character that is basically Ben 10 2.0, and lots of uninteresting filler episodes. It's an okay series, but nothing made it stand out against Cartoon Network's other action shows, so a lot of viewers like me quickly lost interest in it.

Oh, and the toyline didn't do very well either. Really the main reason it got killed, actually.
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon X View Post
    Oh, and to the point of the topic, Generator Rex's flaws were poorly planned story and character arcs, little interesting qualities in it to differentiate it from other action series, a main character that is basically Ben 10 2.0, and lots of uninteresting filler episodes. It's an okay series, but nothing made it stand out against Cartoon Network's other action shows, so a lot of viewers like me quickly lost interest in it.
    Rex did have a similar cocky attitude that Ben has, especially as the series progressed, but I thought he was more interesting, at least at first, due to his personal conflicts with not having his memories of his life before Six found him. Though, I think that kind of disappeared as time move forward. While it wasn't that bad overall, I don't think Generator Rex is really that good because of the poorly handled arcs, characters and problematic pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon X
    Oh, and the toyline didn't do very well either. Really the main reason it got killed, actually.
    That's certainly true. I saw only one commercial for the toys back around the first season, while there are new Ben 10 toy commercials whenever he has new aliens to transform into.

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Generator Rex just wasn't all that good, plain and simple. I think the show failed because it's core audience just couldn't get into it, it had a heavy Ben 10 style to it (Didn't it have the same production team?) that made the show come off as a "me too" kind of series and at the end of the day I don't think many were connecting to the main character or his cohorts. I found the initial 4 or 5 episodes to be okay, but after that the show just kind of flattened out and it became just another generic action series living in Ben 10's shadow.

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Generator Rex just wasn't all that good, plain and simple. I think the show failed because it's core audience just couldn't get into it, it had a heavy Ben 10 style to it (Didn't it have the same production team?) that made the show come off as a "me too" kind of series and at the end of the day I don't think many were connecting to the main character or his cohorts. I found the initial 4 or 5 episodes to be okay, but after that the show just kind of flattened out and it became just another generic action series living in Ben 10's shadow.
    Man of Action, the same team that made the original Ben 10 series, did create Generator Rex as well. Although, I don't think that they were involved that much past the first season. I think that the audience could get into it at first, but then as the series progressed, they just lost interest and I don't think that the amount of filler episodes in the later seasons helped either.

ToonsLover is offline Lover of Toons
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was filler after filler after filler.

The first season was really good, and arguably was too plot focused.

Season 2, on the other hand, was basically just filler. I don't know what they were thinking when making those episodes, but they were painstakingly boring to watch. Everybody just wanted to see plot-oriented episodes, and sadly those rarely ever appeared in season 2. Season 3 picked things back up, but at that point Generator Rex felt like a completely different show. I don't think it ever matched the quality of the first season.

ndb
    ndb is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonsLover

Season 2, on the other hand, was basically just filler. I don't know what they were thinking when making those episodes, but they were painstakingly boring to watch. Everybody just wanted to see plot-oriented episodes, and sadly those rarely ever appeared in season 2. Season 3 picked things back up, but at that point Generator Rex felt like a completely different show. I don't think it ever matched the quality of the first season.
    The plot was the reason I watched the show, so season 2 was a chore to watch. Although it does have Family Holiday which is the greatest episode in the series hands down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonsLover View Post

While season one wasn't perfect, as the faster pace in the first few episode annoyed me, there was a lot of progression with the plot and good amount of action that actually mattered in the long run. It was by far the best season of the series for me. Season two, while not complete filler, overall felt like they were stalling the plot and even the first half of season three was pretty bad. There were a couple of episodes in that season that were worse than Robo Bobo for me. It did pick up in the later half of season three and it did have a decent conclusion, but the damage was already done and it couldn't really save the show for me. I really liked Generator Rex in the first season and while I don't really dislike it, the way it turned out to be a just okay show by the end was rather disappointing.

FFmax is offline Poke Maniac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonsLover View Post

Pretty much this. I guess the writers felt that they were rushing the story in the first season so they wanted to slow down the plot in the next one. However, that plan backfired big time on them. Season 2 pretty much killed my interest of this series, which is a shame because the plot was quite interesting.
    Fan of jrpgs, anime, and cartoons.

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked Generator Rex a lot during most of the first season. The go-nowhere second season killed my interest very quickly.

However, I'd argue that the poor pacing and fillers aren't necessarily the sole reason for it's ratings downfall. Everyone says the same of Ben 10 and they're on their fourth series.

It might be that kids simply weren't interested in a Tennyson successor when the real deal is still alive and kicking. I also feel that the industrial sci-fi setting and aesthetic might've put them off.

From what I've heard (both here and on Tumblr), the show became really good towards the final stretch of Season 3. Too bad CN never actually aired them on television.
    Favorite Cartoons/Anime of the 2010s: Adventure Time, Regular Show, MLP:FiM, Gravity Falls, Motorcity, Tron Uprising, Green Lantern: TAS Sym-Bionic Titan, Durarara!!, PMMM, Steins;Gate, Attack on Titan, Free!

"After all, I have no heart or time to spare."
    Mikasa Ackerman (SNK 48)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast