Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

European DVD releases

Like This Thread!

I was surprised that a few cartoon series from Cartoon Network have more DVD releases in Europe, which include the English audio too.

I hope this information is useful for other people, who want to collect these series on DVD too.

Generator Rex (from Germany)
    Generator Rex - Vol. 01 (5 episodes)
    Generator Rex - Vol. 02 (5 episodes)
    Generator Rex - Vol. 03 (5 episodes) - Released on 11th May 2012
    Generator Rex - Vol. 04 (5 episodes) - Released on 11th May 2012

The Secret Saturdays (from Netherlands)
    Secret Saturdays - Season 1 (13 episodes)

Anyone noticed any other European DVD releases I missed?

Doctorhauser is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I can only write about the DVD releases in Spain due to, well, my living there since I was born .

We got so far:

-the 4 Generator Rex volumes as well (comprising the whole first season); I see that according to your info, Kirben, the last ones haven't been released in Germany yet... are you sure about that? I found it weird that we could get them before, I always thought that European countries got basically the same treatment in DVD releases from WB...

-The Secret Saturdays Season 1. First as 2 volumes and then one box set. No news about Season 2 and truth be told, I doubt we'll ever see it, considering that we rarely get more than one season of CN DVDs, with notable exceptions like überpopular shows like Ben10, Clone Wars and the like.

-Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi Season 1. First as 4 volumes (yes, only 3 episodes per disc except the last one; sigh). Then they were repackaged as 2 box-sets and finally re-repackaged into one single box-set.

-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Season 1. Again, first as 4 volumes, then 2 box-sets and finally one. No extras though. I think the US version does have commentaries from characters and the like...

-Batman: The Brave and The Bold:
    Season 1 as 6 volumes (4 eps each, except the 2 last ones with 5 episodes each). The 3 first volumes got repackaged as one box-set.
    Season 2: in a sudden change of tactics from WB, we got the first 12 episodes into one 2-disc set. Yay! ^^ Considering it costs 12 euros, while the individual volumes cost 9, as you can imagine it's a huge improvement for us local buyers (well, for our pockets, at least).

-Ben 10:
    Season 1 first as 4 individual volumes, then as 2 box-sets and finally a whole season box.
    Season 2 to 4: likewise

-Ben 10 Alien Force:
    Seasons 1 to 3 (the whole series, I think) following the aforementioned pattern (first individual volumes, later different box-sets)

-Ben 10 Ultimate Alien:
    Season 1 Volumes 1 to 4

Oh, and the Ben10 movies too.

-Scooby Doo Mystery Inc (as Scooby Doo Misterios S.A.):
    Season 1 was released in a.. particular fashion, similar to the Brave and the Bold DVDs: volumes 1 to 3 contained only 4 episodes each, totalling 12, and then, a box-set named "Season 1 part 2" (alternatively "Volumes 4 and 5") got recently released, comprising the 14 remaining episodes, suddenly all at once. Just like in the Brave and the Bold case, the price difference is abysmal and makes you wonder why in heck didn't they do that from the beginning.

-Star Wars Clone Wars:
    -The Tartakovski version was released as 2 volumes... they are out of print now, sadly.
    -The new CGI one has been released first as individual volumes and then as season box-sets. 3 seasons so far. Lately a new box-set comprising the 3 seasons has been released too. And Blu-Ray versions too.

-The Powerpuff Girls:
    -first an individual volume ("The Powerpuff bluff", translated as "Super farsa").
    -then: Season 1 as 2 volumes, then one box-set.
    -The Best of the PPG, first as 2 volumes, then one box-set.
    -The PPG movie (widescreen format).

-Codename: Kids Next Door (under the name "Código KND"):
    Season 1 split into 2 volumes.

Aaand I think that's it. All of them include an English audio track aside from the Spanish dub (and in some cases, like Ben 10 and Star Wars, other languages like French, German, Italian...).
    But as you can see, more focus was done on the Ben10 and Star Wars franchises than on anything else CN-related. To this day, I still consider a miracle that they actually bothered to release DVDs of The Secret Saturdays, Foster's and AmiYumi...

Incidentally, I know it's not a CN original, but we got the first 3 seasons of "Johnny Test" as well, the whole released as 4 volumes (each one with 2 discs, with each disc containing around 10 shorts). This release only includes the Spanish dub, though, not the original version (something that it's not too common around here, since we generally get the original audio aside from the dub).
    Last edited by Doctorhauser; 02-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhauser View Post
    -the 4 Generator Rex volumes as well (comprising the whole first season); I see that according to your info, Kirben, the last ones haven't been released in Germany yet... are you sure about that? I found it weird that we could get them before, I always thought that European countries got basically the same treatment in DVD releases from WB...
    Yes, Amazon (DE) was my source for the DVD releases in Germany.

The DVD releases available, and their contents seems to vary in each country. Several of the DVD releases (Generator Rex S1, Secret Saturdays S1) in France, are French only, for example.

Thanks for the detailed list of DVD releases for Spain.

Doctorhauser is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
    Yes, Amazon (DE) was my source for the DVD releases in Germany.

The DVD releases available, and their contents seems to vary in each country. Several of the DVD releases (Generator Rex S1, Secret Saturdays S1) in France, are French only, for example.
    I see, thanks for the clarification.

And while I'm at it, I edited my post to include another CN original release that I forgot about.

DuckTwacy is offline French phone.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, this thread has reminded me of something that I've been wondering about for a while. Apparently many older, harder-to-find Cartoon Network shows have been recently released on DVD in the UK. On the UK Amazon website I've seen DVDs of Sheep in the Big City, Mike, Lu and Og, and some other shows being sold. They all look official, and they all have "as seen on Cartoon Network" stickers on them. Anybody know anything about these?
    *insert another Great Piggy Bank Robbery reference here*

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTwacy View Post
    Actually, this thread has reminded me of something that I've been wondering about for a while. Apparently many older, harder-to-find Cartoon Network shows have been recently released on DVD in the UK. On the UK Amazon website I've seen DVDs of Sheep in the Big City, Mike, Lu and Og, and some other shows being sold. They all look official, and they all have "as seen on Cartoon Network" stickers on them. Anybody know anything about these?
    They are official releases, as they are listed on BBFC web site. I suspect they might be from a bundle (with magazine or toy), since they are only sold via private sellers on Amazon (UK), and are only 3 episodes for each DVD release.

A complete list of these DVD releases in the UK, via the BBFC:
    Class of 3000 (Episodes 1 - 3)
    Hi Hi Puffy Amiyumi (Episodes 1 - 3)
    KND - Codename: Kid's Next Door (Episodes 1 - 3)
    Life and Time of Juniper Lee, The (Epsiodes 1 - 3)
    Megas Xlr (Episodes 1 - 3)
    Mike, Lu & Ug (Episodes 1 - 3)
    Out of Jimmy's Head (Episodes 1 - 3)
    Sheep in the Big City (Episodes 1 - 3)
    Squirrel Boy (Episodes 1 - 3)
    Time Squad (Epsiodes 1 - 3)

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I located an online shop (Jeux Video) in France, which offers the back cover art for releases. So I confirmed a few DVD releases in France offered English audio too:
    Generator Rex Season 1
    The Secret Saturdays Season 1 Volume 1
    The Secret Saturdays Season 1 Volume 2

EDIT: Nevermind, a review of the French DVD release of Generator Rex Season 1 confirmed the aspect ratio is still 1:78.1, the 2.40:1 on the back cover art was an error. That review also shows the DVD menus are partially in English too.
    Last edited by Kirben; 03-14-2012 at 12:52 AM.

BrianLeague is offline Saturdays @ 5:30am on Toonami!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just wondering, are the Generator Rex DVDs in English? Because I'm one of those people who like to have things like TV shows physically, like on DVD, and I don't think Cartoon Network USA is planning to release anymore Generator Rex DVDs here.

If they are in English, would someone mind telling me where I can buy it? Like Amazon?
    Help Sym-Bionic Titan Get Another Season!
    Find us on: Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - deviantART

Watch full episodes of SBT here for free! (You don't need to sign into Adult Swim Gold!)

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLeague View Post
    Just wondering, are the Generator Rex DVDs in English? Because I'm one of those people who like to have things like TV shows physically, like on DVD, and I don't think Cartoon Network USA is planning to release anymore Generator Rex DVDs here.
    Yes, check out the review of the Complete Season 1 DVD release in France. The review states that English video is used for episodes, so even opening/ending credits should be in English. The DVD menus look easy to navigate, judging by the screenshots too.

If they are in English, would someone mind telling me where I can buy it? Like Amazon?
    Try Amazon France

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, check out the review of the Complete Season 1 DVD release in France. The review states that English video is used for episodes, so even opening/ending credits should be in English. The DVD menus look easy to navigate, judging by the screenshots too.

Try Amazon France
    Thank you! Does Amazon France ship to the USA as well? And do you happen to know how to order?

Watch full episodes of SBT here for free! (You don't need to sign into Adult Swim Gold!)

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you! Does Amazon France ship to the USA as well? And do you happen to know how to order?
    I expect they ship worldwide, since I have shipped several DVDs to Australia in the past.

Amazon uses same account details for almost all their web site (except Amazon Japan), so should be easy to order, if you have registered with Amazon in past. If you have not registered with Amazon before, I would suggest registering at Amazon (USA) first, since it is all in English.

The order process is the same for all Amazon web sites, so can use one of their English web sites for reference, when ordering too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I expect they ship worldwide, since I have shipped several DVDs to Australia in the past.

Amazon uses same account details for almost all their web site (except Amazon Japan), so should be easy to order, if you have registered with Amazon in past. If you have not registered with Amazon before, I would suggest registering at Amazon (USA) first, since it is all in English.

The order process is the same for all Amazon web sites, so can use one of their English web sites for reference, when ordering too.
    Thank you so much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It actually seems that the DVDs are region 2, so I don't think they will work here in the USA.

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It actually seems that the DVDs are region 2, so I don't think they will work here in the USA.
    Why not get an all-region DVD player? some DVD player models can be changed to all region, via a hidden setitng too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know if the DVDs will work on my laptop or not? I know DVD players won't play it, but maybe my computer will?

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know if the DVDs will work on my laptop or not? I know DVD players won't play it, but maybe my computer will?
    AnyDVD (Commercial, for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7) or DVD Region Killer (Free, but doesn't work on Windows Vista/7) can be used allow DVDs from any region to be played under Windows at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    *bump*

This could be useful for some of you (but probably not): a list of all the shows that aired on CN in the Netherlands and Flanders and has dvd's:
    -Bakugan Battle Brawlers
    -Bakugan Battle Brawlers New Vestroia
    -Bakugan Gundalian Invaders
    -Batman The Brave and the Bold (without the Dutch dub that now airs on CN)
    -Ben 10
    -Ben 10 Alien Force
    -Ben 10 Ultimate Alien
    -Bob the Builder (without the English audio)
    -The Flintstones
    -George of the Jungle (without the English audio)
    -Generator Rex
    -Looney Tunes
    -The Secret Saturdays
    -Star Wars The Clone Wars
    -The Tex Avery Show
    -Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends (without the English audio)
    -Tom & Jerry
    + In s.a. Spain, you can buy 2 dvd's of Young Justice with Dutch subtitles (but without the Dutch dub that now airs on CN).

And the following shows used to have Dutch dvds as well:
    -'Cartoon Network Cartoon Crack Ups' (a dvd with an episode of The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby Doo Where Are You!, Huckleberry Hound, The Yogi Bear Show, Pixie & Dixie and Top Cat)
    -Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines
    -DragonBall Z (with the Ocean dub)
    -The Jetsons
    -The New Scooby-Doo Movies
    -The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
    -The Powerpuff Girls
    -The Scooby-Doo Show (without the Dutch dub that now airs on CN)
    -Scooby Doo Where are You! (without the Dutch dub that now airs on CN)
    -Taz-Mania
    -Wacky Races
    -What's New Scooby-Doo? (without the Dutch dub that now airs on CN)
    -7 Kellogs dvds with Scooby Doo Where are You! or The Scooby-Doo Show, or with The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory (the PPG/DL dvds were without the English audio)

I'm pretty sure this list is complete. (It doesn't contain any movies) If you have any questions, feel free to ask them!

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    In Portugal: the only "legitimate" CN show to have a DVD release was Ben 10: Alien Force (in the Summer of 2011) with the dub that aired on SIC (for the umpteenth time, read it as "seek") and a boring kids channel which where you can add the letter "K" after "SIC", or, to be more accurate, "SIC K", around the time when Ben 10's popularity started to decrease over here.

Moleoman is online now Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here are the currently sold Polish DVDs distributed by Galapagos Filmsdivided by two categories:

Polish track only:
    Bakugan Battle Brawlers (4 volumes)
    Bakugan Battle Brawlers: New Vestroia (8 DVDs)
    Bakugan Battle Brawlers: Gundalian Invaders (4 volumes)
    Ben 10 (4 volumes)
    Ben 10: Alien Force (8 volumes)
    Ben 10: Ultimate Alien (8 Volumes)
    Ben 10: Race Against Time
    Ben 10: Alien Swarm
    Ben 10: Omniverse (2 Volumes)
    Chowder (3 DVDs with 5 episodes each)
    The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (1 DVD with 5 episodes)
    Dexter's Laboratory: What a Fine Day for Science! (includes 5 episodes)
    Johnny Bravo: Whoa, Momma! (includes 5 episodes)

Multiple audio tracks:
    Batman: The Brave and the Bold
    Languages:
    - Vol. 1-3: English, Polish (not the CN dub, but the voice-over), Spanish (Spain), Czech)
    - Vol. 4-6: English, Polish (still not the CN dub, but the voice-over), French, Italian, German, Spanish (Spain), Czech
    Subtitles:
    Vol. 1-3: English, Polish, Spanish (Spain), Czech)
    Vol. 4-6: English, Polish, French, Italian, German, Spanish (Spain), Czech, Hebrew, Dutch

The Flintstones
    Languages:
    - Magical Mishaps, The Big Splash: English, French, Polish, Arabic
    - Season 3 set, Viva Vacation: English, Polish, Croatian

Subtitles:
    - Magical Mishaps, The Big Splash: English, French, Dutch, Polish, Arabic, Greek
    - Season 3 set, Viva Vacation: English, Polish, Croatian

A Pup Named Scooby-Doo (Vols. 1-4)
    Languages: English, French, Polish
    Subtitles: English, French

Scooby-Doo: Where Are You?
    Languages: English, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese
    Subtitles: English, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Hungarian

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo:
    Languages: English, Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Hungarian
    Subtitles: English, Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Hungarian

The New Scooby-Doo Movies (Vols. 1-4):
    Languages: English, Swedish, Danish, Polish
    Subtitles: English, Swedish, Danish, Polish, Turkish

What's New Scooby-Doo?
    Languages:
    - Vol. 1-4: English, Polish, Italian, Hungarian
    - Vol. 5-6: English, Polish, Czech, Hungarian
    - Vol. 7: English, Polish, Czech, Greek
    - Vol. 8: English, Polish, Greek, Croatian
    - Vol. 9: English, Polish, Greek, Russian
    - Vol. 10: English, Polish, Hungarian, Romanian

Subtitles:
    - Vol. 1-4: English, Polish, Italian, Hungarian, Czech, Romanian, Croatian, Slovenian
    - Vol. 5-6: English, Polish, Czech, Hungarian
    - Vol. 7: English, Polish, Czech, Greekth
    - Vol. 8: English, Polish, Greek, Croatian
    - Vol. 9: English, Polish, Greek, Russian
    - Vol. 10: English, Hungarian, Romanian

Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated (Vols. 1-5)
    Languages: English, Polish, French, Greek, Spanish (Spain), Czech

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish (Spain), Greek

I tell also, that European Warner Home Video DVDs have distinguishing features like:
    - Multiple warning screens from different countries after the end of movies (currently are respectively: European Union (English), South Africa, France, Switzerland (French), Germany, Switzerland (German), Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Bulgaria, Romania, Middle East (Arabic), Finland, Portugal, Israel, Poland, Greece, Czech Republic, Turkey, Hungary, Iceland, Croatia, Italy, Switzerland (Italian), Slovenia, Albania, Macedonia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Serbia (Latin alphabet)
    - No language selector menus at the beginning of most of DVDs. The language of menu depends on DVD player settings (Some movies feature the Piracy It's a Crime! stylized country selection, but beside setting the audio language and/or subtitles it doesn't set the language of menu).
    - Most of DVDs lack the foreign dub credits for movies and/or series after them but before the warning screens (the only examples of foreign dub credits featured on DVDs I saw are Flintsones: Magical Mishaps for French dub and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for Polish dub).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast