Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    {Shadow} is online now Toonami - Saturdays 11:30p-6a! Blosics 3 Champion Angry Animals Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TALKBACK - MAD - "Straight A Team / Gaming's Next Top Model" - [2/28]

Like This Thread!

Episode 016 - - Number 204

Straight A Team / Gaming's Next Top Model
    premieres
    TONIGHT at 8:15PM
    repeats
    TUESDAY at 4:45PM
    THURSDAY at 8:30PM

This week...
    MAD takes on The A-Team, America's Next Top Model, iCarly, and more.

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I caught the promo, and Samus Aran (Metroid) will be in this episode. Presumably she'll be a part of the Gaming's Next Top Model sketch.

Is this the very first time she has appeared in animation? I know Mother Brain was the main villain in Captain N and that "Metroid" was a location in the show, but Samus herself only appeared in the tie-in comic books.

In any case, I'm actually tuning in tonight. Hopefully it'll be better than what I've come to expect from this sloppy, amateurish show.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MAD has already spoofed iCarly once before, in the first episode ("CSiCarly"), but Robot Chicken has parodied the same things multiple times, so why can't MAD?
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

PunkPhantom is offline Addicted to Toons & Tunes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh, I'm mostly watching now just so I can catch that Benson appearance.
    "Pencil... Paper... Combine" -JG Quintel
    "Though he acts intoxicated, he's just highly animated!" -Max Goof
    March 14, 2013 Vancouver, BC

Idiot Elzar is offline That's what SHE said.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No more pop culture references. Please. This show has no actual humor.

lukeguy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was gonna just stop watching this show, but I suppose I'll tune in for "Gaming's Next Top Model"...

FFmax is offline Poke Maniac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Elzar View Post
    I'm getting annoyed by all these negative comments, like this show is bad, or it's not funny, etc. The episode hasn't even aired yet, if you don't like show don't watch it.
    Fan of jrpgs, anime, and cartoons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FFmax View Post
    I'm getting annoyed by all these negative comments, like this show is bad, or it's not funny, etc. The episode hasn't even aired yet, if you don't like show don't watch it.
    I don't watch it. And the show is terribly bad. I assume it's taking after the show it's named after, Mad TV. What's the difference? Mad is just mindless drivel trying to reference in as many pop culture references in 15 seconds as possible, and Mad TV is actual skit comedy. This is a complete abomination. The show needs to get out so CN can free up a time slot for a show that looks like it took actual thought and wit to create, not just a giant list of things that've come out recently.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Heh, Phineas, Ferb, and Perry...

"'Enter Password'? THEY'RE ON TO US!" *smashes computer and crashes through the window*
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Mister Modular is offline Miss Carmody
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ¡AY CARLYYYYY! ¡AY CARLYYYYY!

I love the Hanna-Barbara-esque skit. I do wish Dad would let me play his "games", though.
    Thinking of a number.

WMania is offline Check Out My Avatar Thread!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Best episode yet, despite the terrible ending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you guys see what they did there? I did. It was pretty funny. They- they referenced the video games of Mario. Get it? It was funny. They referenced the games by calling super mario galaxy better than super mario brothers. They also put in Samus Aran from Metroid! I LOVED that game for the Nintendo Wii! I'm only 12 so I presume that Galaxy > that original game for the Sega Genesis or whatever, so that was funny. The whole iAY CARLY! thing was funny too, because it had funny faces and (do you guys get this, or is this humor too in-depth for just a few people to get?) they made fun of the show iCarly by using the spanish phrase "AY CARAMBA, ME GUSTA EL VELLO PUBICO!" to be "AY CARLY!" Do you guys get this? I think this is really, really funny humor and can't wait for this show to be aired 4 times a day. Get it guys? So funny!

I keed, this entire series is worse than Control Alt Delete.

TenPoundHammer is offline Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I lol'd at the Benson gag and the Phineas & Ferb shoutout. Missed parts because sis was yakking at me.

Five words words for the ending:

A BIG LIPPED ALLIGATOR MOMENT!
    My Twitter

We'll leave the light on for you.

http://tehshigelisok.deviantart.com/

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Idiot Elzar
    Uh isn't modern day sketch humor mostly just made up of Modern Day or basic pop culture refrences? Really I don't see what the problem is with having a show that actually does it's homework having them.

And I do actually give credit for MAD for actually doing some research. Despite some of the bad voices used, the Straight A Team actually had a great parody or at least use of Phineas and Ferb from the lack of a Ferb line, the invention and even doing the whole "yes yes I am" at the end, the later of which is something you'd really only get if you know, bothered to acutally use the show. And I also applaud the Gaming Princess show (kind of a confusing name with princesses and not actual princesses on it) for actually using a Sheik joke that wasn't just a "is she a he" and doing an actually tasteful Zero Suit Samus Aran joke. I have to admitt I'm kind of mixed on the ending since I did like the twist of them not saying and it being a parody of drawing out the tension but... also kind of annoying too. It'd be funny though if like in the middle of next week's show they announced the winner and made it one of those fun continuity jokes.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

FFmax is offline Poke Maniac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you guys see what they did there? I did. It was pretty funny. They- they referenced the video games of Mario. Get it? It was funny. They referenced the games by calling super mario galaxy better than super mario brothers. They also put in Samus Aran from Metroid! I LOVED that game for the Nintendo Wii! I'm only 12 so I presume that Galaxy > that original game for the Sega Genesis or whatever, so that was funny. The whole iAY CARLY! thing was funny too, because it had funny faces and (do you guys get this, or is this humor too in-depth for just a few people to get?) they made fun of the show iCarly by using the spanish phrase "AY CARAMBA, ME GUSTA EL VELLO PUBICO!" to be "AY CARLY!" Do you guys get this? I think this is really, really funny humor and can't wait for this show to be aired 4 times a day. Get it guys? So funny!

I keed, this entire series is worse than Control Alt Delete.
    There is a difference between stating your opinion and straight up trolling, It's clear you don't like this show, so why waste your time posting here?
    Fan of jrpgs, anime, and cartoons.

Sam Hill is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't watch it. And the show is terribly bad. I assume it's taking after the show it's named after, Mad TV.
    I agree with what you're saying but this show is actually based on MAD Magazine, which MAD TV was also (originally) based on.

And, no, the magazine is nothing like this show other than the segments that have been taken directly from it (mostly "Spy vs. Spy").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm only 12 so I presume that Galaxy > that original game for the Sega Genesis or whatever, so that was funny.
    The Sega Genesis? Dude, it was released for the NES. You shouldn't have the right to know about the original Super Mario Bros. if you don't know what console it came out on. There weren't even any Mario games for the Sega Genesis, but there was Castlevania: Bloodlines.

Anyway, I did not really enjoy this episode. I thought the first sketch wasn't too good, I only liked the Phineas and Ferb part. The whole father and mother thing was kind of funny, but not all that funny. I did enjoy the princess sketch, but what ridiculously annoyed me was the fact that not only was Samus' name pronounced wrong, Samus is not a princess, she is a bounty hunter. I still thought that was a funny sketch. I thought it was about a 7.0/10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneHungryHippo View Post
    Samus is not a princess, she is a bounty hunter.
    That's like saying Zelda isn't a girl.

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So yeah. Samus Aran and Benson (man, it's a great night for him!) made this episode for me. The whole Gaming's Next Top Model sketch was very good until the awful unreveal; they did great with all the Nintendo references and appearances, I was glad to see the girls posing with their respective franchise baddies. Especially Ridley.

To answer FFmax... I gave this show a chance, I really did. It has it's flashes of brilliance, but it wasn't enough for me to keep watching regularly. I decided I wasn't going to watch it anymore unless something really relevant to my interests popped up, and this episode was one such instance. In fact, the MAD writers deserve a ton of credit for referencing Metroid at all because it's not exactly a blockbuster Nintendo franchise like Mario or Zelda or Pokemon; they were breaking out of their usual mold of instantly recognizable pop culture icons.

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was glad to see them use "snappy answers to stupid questions" (though i wish they had gotten al jaffee to do the designs).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast