View Poll Results: How much do you like Sheep in the Big City?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Love Sheep a whole lot, he needs to be on DVD!

6 54.55%
  • I Like Sheep in the Big City.

1 9.09%
  • I Never Minded Sheep, But There Are Better Toons Out There.

4 36.36%
  • Not What I Had in Mind.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Neomysterion is offline TZ's Resident Neopets King
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obscure Cartoon Spotlight Episode 2: Sheep in the Big City

Like This Thread!
    Hello folks, and welcome to the Obscure Cartoon Spotlight! Why am I doing this week's Obscure Cartoon Spotlight here at the Cartoon Network Forums instead of the General Animation Forums? It's simple, this week's obscure cartoon originated from Cartoon Network. It'd be wrong to put it elsewhere.

This week's obscure cartoon is a little something that a dedicated Cartoon Cartoon fan would know, rather than kids who watch Cartoon Network today. The Obscure Cartoon Spotlight goes to: Sheep in the Big City!

I know I should of waited a month from now for Sheep's 10th Anniversary, but I know you guys wouldn't mind otherwise. Sheep in the Big City was a comedic cartoon series that first aired in November 2000 on Cartoon Network and lasted 2 seasons with 27 episodes. Proud Creator: Mo Willems

Sheep in the Big City was about a Sheep fed up with living the farm-life and wanted to reside in the Big City. However, General Specific of the Secret Military Organization had an evil plan to use Sheep in his new invention, the Sheep-Powered Ray Gun (which oddly had had a sheep-shaped hole in it). Since then, Sheep has been on the lam(b) from the General and his vile henchmen, Private Public, the Angry/Mad Scientist, loads of other military-types, and General Specific's beloved Plot Device.

With being in the Big City, Sheep had to come to grips with city life along with attempting romance with his lovelife, Swanky the Poodle. The series does come packed with unwelcome characters including Farmer John (Sheep's original owner who has plans on recapturing Sheep), Lisa Rental (a annoying, deviant young gal who think Sheep's a "cutesy wootsy dog" and wants to own Sheep very badly), and Lady Virginia Richington (Swanky's owner who ironically despises Sheep), among others.

Sheep's creator Mo Willems was also the head writer for Seasons 1 to 4 of Mr. Tom Warburton's (one of Willems' colleagues from Sheep in the Big City) cartoon creation, Codename: Kids Next Door. Also, Sheep did manage to sneak a cameo in Codename: KND within Numbuh 3's cutesy plushie collection in the first season of that show.

Read Sheep's Wikipedia Article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_in_the_Big_City
    Learn more about Sheep in the Big City at the Cartoon Network Fridays Fansite: http://www.nickandmore.com/archive/fridays/sheep.html

I hope you enjoyed this piece of obscureness, don't forget to vote on how you liked Sheep in the Big City, and I'll see you next week (more likely at a forum outside of the CN forums)!

Thanks for the Sheep in the Big City smilies! They really made my OCS this week stand out!
    Last edited by Neomysterion; 10-10-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Here is Elsewhere/Animation Revelation/My Twitter/My Facebook
    Neomysterion- TZ's biggest Neopets fan, alive and lurking.

SpongeJosh is offline A Bold Kid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, Sheep in the Big City. How oxymoronic. Seriously I had all but forgotten about this show up until about a couple years back, and when it all came back to me I remembered just how much I loved this show. It truly is underrated and not as well known as it should be. It was smart, funny. and original. It just felt right and it definitely deserves and needs to join the CN Hall of Fame.
    They all think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy. It is I who am mad.
    The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
    You can't touch music, but music can touch you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpongeJosh View Post
    Ah, Sheep in the Big City. How oxymoronic. Seriously I had all but forgotten about this show up until about a couple years back, and when it all came back to me I remembered just how much I loved this show. It truly is underrated and not as well known as it should be. It was smart, funny. and original. It just felt right and it definitely deserves and needs to join the CN Hall of Fame.
    Sheep truly needs a spot in the CN Hall of Fame, or at least it needs to be aired on Boomerang, Sheep in the Big City is pretty much made 10 years ago, so why not?
    Last edited by Neomysterion; 10-03-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Fixing small errors

chalmers is offline Role Model
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ooh, good choice. This is a show that I've been meaning to check out for a while now, because I keep hearing how good it is. I watched it off and on during it's original run, but didn't pay it much attention and thus don't remember much about it(one of the only real memories I have of watching it was when I was visiting my grandmother in Reno in the summer of 2001).

Sadly though, it's a bit of a tricky show to track down. It hasn't been on TV in a number of years, and it isn't available for download on iTunes, although it apparently was at one point. Ah well, I'll find it eventually, and give it a second look.
    Animation Revelation All the cool kids are doing it, why aren't you?

"Oh shut up, you're wasting valuable smashing time!"- Sideshow Mel in "Bart After Dark"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sheep and the Big City is a very rare show

Quote Originally Posted by SNES Chalmers View Post
    Ooh, good choice. This is a show that I've been meaning to check out for a while now, because I keep hearing how good it is. I watched it off and on during it's original run, but didn't pay it much attention and thus don't remember much about it(one of the only real memories I have of watching it was when I was visiting my grandmother in Reno in the summer of 2001).

Sadly though, it's a bit of a tricky show to track down. It hasn't been on TV in a number of years, and it isn't available for download on iTunes, although it apparently was at one point. Ah well, I'll find it eventually, and give it a second look.
    Sheep used to be on CN Video, but no longer is.
    Sheep may be as rare and elusive as the Fox Kids shows are.

RoyalRubble is offline Beware
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sheep in the Big City was a great show. One of the funniest Cartoon Cartoons, if you ask me. The humour was good (and didn't really get tiresome dspite all of their running jokes) and all the characters were very quotable. Except maybe Sheep himself.

The characters were great, and lots of fun to watch. It was funny how most of their names were oxymorons. Farmer John still probably had the funniest name if you consider the thought pattern his parents went through to name him (if anyone remembers that clip). I liked all the characters but my favorites were probably the "Angry" Scientist and X Agent (the super-hero parody episode from season two is among my favorite episodes).

I liked how the show was overflowing with puns (mostly on the word "sheep") and how they made fun of TV in general during the chapter breaks, including soap-operas ("One Life to Live"), various commercials (the "from Oxymoron"jingle was awesome... their products not so much), candid camera type shows ("Krazy Pranks", and they couldn't get any crazier), fun-ducational films, a short film on "hygiene" and lots of other parodies I can't remember right now. I might post more if I remember anything.

I was fortunate enough to watch re-runs of this show as Boomerang Central & Eastern Europe has aired all the episodes except for the pilot, till last year (or earlier this year, can't really remember). But a DVD release would be great.
    "Are you insinuating that I may have previous knowledge as to the outcome of this imbroglio?" - Top Cat
    "With great powers comes great responsibility... and free peanuts." - Johnny Bravo
    "Faster than a regular sheep... More powerful than a regular sheep... Able to leap a regular sheep in a single bound." - Sheep in the Big City

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalRubble View Post
    Sheep in the Big City was a great show. One of the funniest Cartoon Cartoons, if you ask me. The humour was good (and didn't really get tiresome dspite all of their running jokes) and all the characters were very quotable. Except maybe Sheep himself.

The characters were great, and lots of fun to watch. It was funny how most of their names were oxymorons. Farmer John still probably had the funniest name if you consider the thought pattern his parents went through to name him (if anyone remembers that clip). I liked all the characters but my favorites were probably the "Angry" Scientist and X Agent (the super-hero parody episode from season two is among my favorite episodes).

I liked how the show was overflowing with puns (mostly on the word "sheep") and how they made fun of TV in general during the chapter breaks, including soap-operas ("One Life to Live"), various commercials (the "from Oxymoron"jingle was awesome... their products not so much), candid camera type shows ("Krazy Pranks", and they couldn't get any crazier), fun-ducational films, a short film on "hygiene" and lots of other parodies I can't remember right now. I might post more if I remember anything.

I was fortunate enough to watch re-runs of this show as Boomerang Central & Eastern Europe has aired all the episodes except for the pilot, till last year (or earlier this year, can't really remember). But a DVD release would be great.
    I'm guessing Boomerang in Europe acts a lot differently than the one here in America, that's awesome! Boomerang USA thinks that Sheep's a bit too new for their tastes, they're airing Samurai Jack, and that's not even 10 years old yet! Even Boomerang USA airs The Batman from 2004, and it's a bit too new for a classics channel. It's also fun to compare whatever programming airs here in the US and there in Europe as well.

Innagadadavida is offline Doenaught
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It was entertaining, but I really didn't like the static backgrounds as colors. Like, when a character's lines would move but the pattern on their clothing would say still as if it were a layer underneath the background. I still don't like that in Chowder. Its distracting.

I was also bugged at how the main villain's teeth never moved.

In short, I enjoyed the show but hated the animation.

Pyrax is offline Bilaterial Symmetry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, I remember that Sheep in the big city.
    Here's an ad for it

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember Sheep in the Big City. I think that it was the first Cartoon Cartoon that I watched the premire of. I saw it at my grandma's house (sadly she isn't with us anymore). Even Sheep was an okay show to watch, I am honestly not really missing it.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast