Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Red
    Red is offline Hmm
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack: Are they the same universe?

Like This Thread!
    I will tell you right now I am straight up stealing this from Digg.com, but here is their user-voted top story of the past 24 hours, I found this interesting.

So is Samurai Jack's world just a past-day Townsville? I have no idea, but I think this is pretty awesome.

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't seen all the PPG's episodes to give a clear answer on this question.

But with all clear certainty, Samurai Jack is in the shared Hanna-Barbera universe, simply because Quick-Draw McGraw appears. I always wondered if Two Stupid Dogs, Secret Squirrel, or someone from the Dexter universe would show up, but never happened.

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's just a visual in-joke thrown in for the amusement of longtime viewers. You can find many shout-outs throughout all of CN's shows.

Mac, Bloo and Frankie appeared in the Powerpuff Girls' 10th Anniversary special, so obviously PPG and Foster's share the same universe -- and by association, so does Foster's and SJ.

And Ed Edd n Eddy appeared in an episode of Foster's, so EEnE is part of the shared universe... and didn't Ms. Bellum appear in an episode of Chowder?
    Tumblr

"After all, I have no heart or time to spare."
    Mikasa Ackerman(SNK/AoT)

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You can actually connect most of the CN originals together...

Dexter appeared in at least one episode of PPG, along with a full PPG episode involving the Justice Friends; various PPG references in Fosters' (some of which can be interpreted as the PPGs being a cartoon in the Fosters' universe, but I think it's just that they're world-famous celebrities); the Eds made a cameo in Fosters'; the CN Invaded event brought together Fosters', Ed Edd n Eddy, Gym Partner, Camp Lazlo, and Billy & Mandy; Evil Con Carne is obviously in the same universe as B&M; Billy & Mandy had a crossover with Kids Next Door; the "destroyed Townsville" in Samurai Jack; Ms. Bellum's appearance in Chowder. Also of note is that several Hanna-Barbera characters appeared in Dexter's Lab and Billy & Mandy, so they're all overall in some strange Hannah-Barbera universe.

Though, I don't count Chowder as part of the overall continuity for several reasons, so Ms. Bellum's appearance may have been an alternate Ms. Bellum. I also don't consider Samurai Jack as part of the overall continuity, HOWEVER...as crazy as this may sound, Aku and Him may be the same being. The future that Samurai Jack takes place in could very well be the same future seen in the PPG episode "Speed Demons", only several hundred years later.

In terms of still-running shows, I don't see any proof as to Flapjack being part of this continuity (but no reason why it can't, seeing as Flapjack takes place approximately 110 years ago). Adventure Time is probably in another possible post-apocalyptic future, but again, no real evidence of connection to other shows. No idea about Regular Show yet, but I doubt it. There IS a very good chance that Symbiotic Titan may, in some way, be connected to this, considering who's in charge of the show...

Overall, the old Cartoon Network/Hannah-Barbera continuity is pretty much dead. But, in a way, it's fitting, seeing as to how different the network is from those days.
    Last edited by veemonjosh; 08-14-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 7/21 - Macross: Do You Remember Love?)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Nexonius is offline Formerly John Dorian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahem, the characters from Evil Con Carne (namely Skarr after he joined the show) appear on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy on a regular basis.

And yes, Ms. Bellum did appear on Chowder (The Hot Date). Bubbles also appeared on the show (The Heist). And then there's the Cartoon Network Invaded campaign from 2007 where charaters made cameos in the five shows (The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Camp Lazlo, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Ed, Edd n' Eddy, and My Gym Partner's A Monkey).

There's also Billy and Mandy's Big Boogey Adventure, where Numbuh 3 (yes folks, that one) from Codename: Kids Next Door took Grim's job as the Reaper.

Oh, There's The Grim Adventures of the Kids Next Door, where there was a big crossover of both series (which ended a couple of months apart from each other). The Eds also appear in the opening, and the end credits had cameos from other Cartoon Network characters. and the special Underfist had Chowder making a cameo.

This is the thing I like about Cartoon Network is the crossovers between the comedies on a almost regular basis, unlike what Nickelodeon and Disney Channel does.

Oh, both Duck Dodgers and What's New Scooby Doo? had Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes characters making cameos. And the upcoming Batman: The Brave and the Bold/ Scooby Doo!: Mystery Incoporated crossover on the former.
    Last edited by Nexonius; 08-14-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember seeing that episode of Samurai Jack and thinking the same thing. But if anything, the PPG and all shows connected to that takes place in an alternate timeline to Samurai Jack, since there's no traces of Aku ruling.

Team Teen

Cartoon heroes unite!

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know Dexter and the PPG definitely inhabit the same one, with the whole thing with Justice Friends, Puppet Pals, and what not.

Soul is offline Mainly Lurking Now...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    See, connecting Jack to Gendy's other shows is hard due to one thing: Aku.
    So it could be seen as a Alternative Timeline or you know, everything in Jack gets reversed if Jack ever got back to the past and defeated Aku.

the greenman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It would be nice to see them do a modern Wacky Races with the CN characters. Provided the creators allow, unless they're owned by wb.

Goldstar Neo is offline I like the streaks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, we know that Dexter's Lab and The Powerpuff Girls both take place in the same universe, since TV Puppet Pals and members of the Justice Friends have appeared on both shows. The PPGs interacted with members of the JF in the episode "Members Only". Also, Dexter has made a few unbilled cameo appearances on PPG. Dee-Dee and Monkey (from Dial 'M' for Monkey) have also appeared on PPG (as dolls) in the short "Ploys R Us". Quakor (Monkey's rival) also makes a brief cameo in the opening of the PPG short "Bought and Scold".

As previously stated, Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy made a cameo in the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends pilot. Earlier in this episode, we see an imaginary friend version of Mojo Jojo. Some might interpret this to mean that PPG is just a TV show in the Foster's universe, but personally, I agree with veemonjosh that this could just mean that the PPGs are so famous that they have a TV show based on their exploits.

The decaying ruins of Townsville shots on Samurai Jack could just be a nod to the shows' fans, but given the above examples of crossovers, I'd say that the notion of all of the Cartoon-Cartoons taking place in a single universe is entirely possible.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast