Quantcast
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Inkan1969 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The "truth" behind Adventure Time?

Like This Thread!
    I've been wondering about the opening sequence. The first thing we see is a landfill filled with military refuse, and then the Land of Ooo is just beyond it. That scene gives me a theory: could the true premise behind "Adventure Time" be similar to "Where the Wild Things Are"? Maybe Finn is actually a human boy living in the real world. The adventures we're seeing are actually happening only in his imagination. I think that Finn might live in the real world, with his house nearby that dangerous landfill. So Finn came up with an imaginary place called The Land of OOO that exists beyond the landfill, a place he can't actually get to in real life.

Does anyone else have similar theories? Have the creators commented on the premise being real or imaginary?

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkan1969 View Post
    Does anyone else have similar theories?
    You are not alone. I have thought the same thing.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Spaceman is online now I Am Here
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    According to Pen Ward, the Land of Ooo is actually a post-apocalyptic world, which would kinda explain the random scraps of technology and military artillery. I doubt that will actually be relevant to the series itself, though.
    Tumblr

"After all, I have no heart or time to spare."
    Mikasa Ackerman(SNK/AoT)

Goldstar Neo is offline Straight cash, homey!
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    According to Pen Ward, the Land of Ooo is actually a post-apocalyptic world, which would kinda explain the random scraps of technology and military artillery. I doubt that will actually be relevant to the series itself, though.
    Well, that explains the frozen business men in "Business Time".
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' twisted take on the world of cartoons and all things geeky.

AnimatEd is offline Did I forget to sign Rolf?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    I saw him mention it in the chat room on his live drawing feed. He said that AT is set so long after a nuclear strike that life has began again (causing mutations such as Princess Bubblegum) and none of the characters know about this apocalypse.

Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So, Ooo is Earth, post-apocalypse, eh?

A bit odd, but I like that better than the "Ooo is all just in Finn's head" idea.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

ToonFaithful is offline The One Who Knocks™
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    So, Ooo is Earth, post-apocalypse, eh?

A bit odd, but I like that better than the "Ooo is all just in Finn's head" idea.
    If it was like that and the series ended, it'll be flashbacks and back to real life.

Mickialla is offline Suave Incarnate
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the "all in the kid's head" idea has been done a few too many times, so I'm glad that it's a different backstory. Whether it'll ever be explored, we will have to wait and see.

Actually, the post-apocalyptic premise seems to be more well-thought out and symbolic then it may seem at first sight. It sort of signifies that, even after going through the greatest of sorrows (the apocalypse), hope and optimism (Finn and Jake) can still thrive, and what better manifestation of hope and optimism then a kid, of course.
    http://mickialla.deviantart.com/ Check out my DeviantArt Account! There's nothing much up there yet. I'm hoping to get stuff up soon, though!
    R.I.P Toonami: 1997-2008
    The Best Action Block Ever
    'Till the Sun Rises...Stay Gold

Toons4ever is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Finn has no parents

Master Toon is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Post-apocalyptic? Lol, well it's definitely not in the traditional sense but strangely it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickialla View Post
    I think the "all in the kid's head" idea has been done a few too many times, so I'm glad that it's a different backstory.
    Really? The only thing that comes to mind is St. Elsewhere. What other shows/movies/books etc. have featured this premise?

Quote Originally Posted by Toons4ever View Post
    I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Finn has no parents
    Perhaps but is it really that important?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast