Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
    I am allowed to talk about one of the clips that I had the good fortune of seeing. Perhaps I will be able to talk about the others, in time, but hopefully this will pique some interests. The opening sequence is roughly fourteen seconds long; it is instrumental, without lyrics, but it’s primarily a visual piece. I will post some screenshots from the opening sequence and the clip in question, but please keep in mind that while these are not in widescreen, the series actually is.

I loved the opening. The visuals are a lot to comprehend and you have to see it in motion to really appreciate all of it; there was one part at the end, sort of like a kaleidoscope, that I didn’t want to take a screenshot of because the movement is what makes it enjoyable. I particularly like the expression that Gumball’s mom is making in the second screenshot; mothers in animation are seldom “fun” characters, so I’m hoping that she’ll break that trend and be a fun character.

As for the clip itself – I really enjoyed it. It was somewhat on the short side and I wish I would have known the context – why is Gumball wearing a dress, for example – but I really liked all of the voices and it’s nice seeing the animation in motion. I believe the network’s decision to cast non-traditional voice actors has paid off, as the kids actually sound like kids. The series felt like it had more in common with Chowder and The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack; I am somewhat concerned by this, because Cartoon Network has had somewhat of a tonal shift since those days, but not every show needs to skew as old as Regular Show does. I am certain there is room on the network for more than one type of comedy.

I just hope that it does premiere in the states. It should. I’m just uneased by the lack of an official confirmation; I suppose all we can do is wait until the upfront and hope for the best.
    Anybody else getting an animesque vibe from this show? The characters designs and colorful artsyle remind me that of a japanese children's cartoon.
    Last edited by c@rt00nguy26; 02-24-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Daxdiv is offline Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c@rt00nguy26 View Post
    Anybody else getting an animesque vibe from this show? The characters designs and colorful artsyle remind that of a japanese children's cartoon.
    I don't see it.

Well, those stills were pretty interesting. Kind of wished that I was able to see it in action, but they're pretty cool for what it's worth. I kind of like how the dinosaur looks in one of the pics.

PunkPhantom is offline Addicted to Toons & Tunes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anybody else getting an animesque vibe from this show? The characters designs and colorful artsyle remind that of a japanese children's cartoon.
    Yeah I think I see it.

I'm still a little skeptical about this show, but it does look pretty cool.
    "Pencil... Paper... Combine" -JG Quintel
    "Though he acts intoxicated, he's just highly animated!" -Max Goof
    March 14, 2013 Vancouver, BC

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Huntsman, I appreciate how you've been keeping close track of this. There's hardly anything to talk about, but I always click on this thread whenever you post an update.

Looking at the screenshots, Gumball doesn't seem poised to break the trippy mold at all. That's not so bad, though, because the art style and design aesthetic is very charming. It's very much an European reincarnation of Chowder. What Gumball needs to prove is that it won't be a clone of Chowder in the wrong places; i.e. bad writing, repetitive humor and insincere characterizations.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the wake of CN's recent comedies, I was concerned that Gumball was going to be just another 'dude-bro' show along the lines of Adventure Time and Regular Show. Judging by the above pics, that would appear to not be the case, at least not in the sense of it being 'dude-centric'. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the 'dude-bro' comedies (I don't watch AT anymore, but that's neither her nor there), but those shouldn't be the only kinds of comedies that CN shows. I can't wait to see that opening sequence in motion. And I'll co-sign Huntsman's hope that the mother character will be a 'fun' character. I like cartoon moms in general, but too often they get shafted when it comes to the laughs. It would be nice to a mother character break that mold, and I love Gumball's mum's pose in that second pic.

It would seem that Gumball is skewing toward a younger audience than say, Regular Show, and that's not a bad thing. Again, variety is the spice of life.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I check this thread every time there's a new post but never post myself. This looks really original and creative (but I'm one of the people who does like the trippy comedies CN is making now so maybe that has something to do with it). This looks really interesting and the combination of art styles looks really really nice. I'm really excited.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be precise, it makes me think a little of Parappa in terms of the character designs.

I honestly can't wait for this. Out of curiosity, Huntsman, how's the soundtrack?
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart View Post
    Out of curiosity, Huntsman, how's the soundtrack?
    I really like the orchestral stuff. I posted an example earlier in this thread. It's not all orchestral - the music in the series is almost as varied as its animation - but you don't hear orchestral stuff in children's animation that often. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't really comment because I don't know how to really review music. I liked what I heard, however.
    Watch The Amazing World Of Gumball on Cartoon Network!
    Follow Ben Bocquelet on twitter!
    Like The Amazing World Of Gumball on facebook!

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really nice stuff. Everything I've seen and heard about this has a nice, for lack of a better term, "artsy" quality to it. I just really hope the writing lives up to the visuals. Though Adventure Time and Regular Show thus far have done a good job of avoiding Foster's and Chowder's pitfalls, so hopefully this will also be part of that winning streak. The fact that it's apparently meant for a younger audience would seem to at least somewhat imply that, anyway.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

ChildHood90s is offline Loves his coffee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anybody else getting an animesque vibe from this show? The characters designs and colorful artsyle remind me that of a japanese children's cartoon.
    I can see that, but the "anime children's cartoon" look is only a little bit of Gumball's style in my eyes. The other style influences I see are something along the lines of The Power Puff Girls' bold, stylized, highly organized designs (only a lot less angular). So kinda like Professor Utonium, except with A LOT MORE curved edges. (P.S. I'm more so reffering to the look of the later seasons of the Power Puff Girls).

Once again, I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Thanks for all the updates, Huntsman. I'm looking forward to that clip.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Any idea if this show will be aired as a half hour show or a quarter hour show?

Looks pretty neat so far.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Kiddington is offline tut tut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm loving this artwork so far. I don't know what it is, I just think it looks really cool.

Can't wait to see it in action. It really shouldn't be long before some video starts popping up, especially if that spring release holds.

Doguineta is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can see that the old checkerboard logo shows up in the main title. Other than that, it looks great so far.
    Nothing to see here, just keep on with what you were doing...

chdr is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    Any idea if this show will be aired as a half hour show or a quarter hour show?
    I'm pretty sure Gumball is being aired as a 15 minute show.

CatChancey is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With relatively little to talk about, I might as well say the artwork is fantastic - pure eye candy. It would be fantastic if the show really pulls through in the story department. Even if it doesn't I could see myself muting it just to look at the lovely animation.

chdr is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sweet, a preview of Gumball is airing right now!

Spaceman is offline I Am Here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just saw the clip on the HoG aftershow.

It looks good. Real good. Getting excited now.

WMania is offline Check Out My Avatar Thread!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like Gumball is coming to the USA!

Toonatic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sneak peek was cute! Now I'm REALLY looking foward to see this!

WMania is offline Check Out My Avatar Thread!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonatic View Post
    Sneak peek was cute! Now I'm REALLY looking foward to see this!
    Same here, I didn't like the designs at first, but it looks really good!

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast