Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    kiddiekid is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

When does this show air on Cartoon Network US?

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddiekid View Post
    When does this show air on Cartoon Network US?
    No concrete premiere date has been set yet (as far as I know). The tentative US release date is said to be sometime in late 2011.

While I'm eagerly anticipating Gumball's arrival, I admit that I have some...concerns regarding the show's style and elements. For one thing, I hope the collage of different art and animation styles actually flows together and doesn't come as a random patchwork mish-mashing (mind you, the stop-motion and puppetry kind of worked on Chowder, so maybe I should just give the artists the benefit of the doubt). Second, I really hope that Gumball doesn't fall into the assembly line pigeon hole of being just another "trip-tacular adventures of another pair of dude-pals" show. I have nothing against "bros" or shows about dude-duos, but it would be nice to get a touch of variety once in a while. But again, the press releases have described the show as a sort-of surreal domestic comedy, so hopefully characters like Annais and Gumball's mum will get some some interesting things to do more than once in a blue moon.

I don't know if Gumball will be a revolution of content, but from the looks of it, it definitely will be a revolution of form.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 01-07-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

ThorCoolguy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yet another oddball comedy from Cartoon Network. Well, it does look promising.

yamfox is offline IT'S TIME FOR DINNER!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This thing could be Chowder or it could be Fish Hooks. No way of knowing right now.

ChildHood90s is offline Loves his coffee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yamfox View Post
    This thing could be Chowder or it could be Fish Hooks. No way of knowing right now.
    What about Fish Hooks? I haven't been able to watch that, so could you explain what you mean

The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildHood90s View Post
    What about Fish Hooks? I haven't been able to watch that, so could you explain what you mean
    FishHooks had a lot of potential, but it didn't quite live up to that potential. Regardless, one of the producers for Turner Broadcasting in the UK just tweeted this. High praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Denton
    The Amazing World of Gumball is the best animated comedy I've seen since Spongebob. I'm so excited about launching it.
    I am hoping that, since she is excited about launching it, it means that it will actually be launched soon. At this point, I wouldn't mind if the UK gets the show first, as at least then we could start getting some actual information...
    Watch The Amazing World Of Gumball on Cartoon Network!
    Follow Ben Bocquelet on twitter!
    Like The Amazing World Of Gumball on facebook!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Huntsman! Hm. I guess that was just a weird analogy then, as Chowder also has shown TONS of wasted potential.

... I guess Chowder DID have some amazing episodes that lived up to its full potential (mainly in season one) but there were too many awful episodes to truly call the show great. Despite how much I wish it were.

Also. I know that this show is leaning to be more Americanized, but I'd be surprised to see it premiere here in the US first. (Then again, we did get TDWT before Canada, if I'm not mistaken). In other words, I'm completely fine if it first premieres in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've blogged about the series a second time, and have a new image of the series to show the world. Remember, you can click on any image to see a larger version of it. I still have high hopes for this series and I'm looking forward to its premiere later this year. I'm still trying to figure out who is going to voice the characters, but I'm confident that information will be released soon enough, perhaps at Cartoon Network's upfront in a couple of months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anybody know who Logan Grove is? Some casting website recently mentioned that he completed the first season of The Amazing World Of Gumball, but his resume seems to contain a bunch of live-action shows that I’ve never watched. However, Kwesi Boakye isn’t a traditional voice actor either, so it could be possible. The same casting page also mentions that he got cast for a role on Young Justice, so he seems to be branching out into voice acting. I find the use of non-traditional voice actors intriguing, although I’m not sure which character he voices. Perhaps Gumball? We’ll find out eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kwesi Boakye attended the network’s Hall Of Game awards; this is yet another sign that the network is serious about the series. The article also mentions that it is going to premiere in the United Kingdom this May. Hopefully we get it before then, but if not, May isn’t that long of a wait. I just wish I knew why more people weren’t discussing this series. I know it hasn’t been officially announced, and if that happens at the upfront then perhaps more people will take notice, but still… Hopefully they release some information soon, especially some clips.

Daxdiv is offline Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I check this thread whenever you get new info, if that makes you feel better. I just don't actively searching for this stuff.

I do like how the article did point out that the kid has an upcoming role, and that the show does have a premiere month planned out. Though, I do hope the HoG awards does point that little detail out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My guess is people don't take notice because there hasn't been much anything to talk about.

Though, whenever I post one of the images you find on my facebook Huntsman, there's usually someone who takes in interest in how creative and strange the show is. I agree that more people will take notice when it's revealed at the upfront.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
    Kwesi Boakye attended the network’s Hall Of Game awards; this is yet another sign that the network is serious about the series. The article also mentions that it is going to premiere in the United Kingdom this May. Hopefully we get it before then, but if not, May isn’t that long of a wait. I just wish I knew why more people weren’t discussing this series. I know it hasn’t been officially announced, and if that happens at the upfront then perhaps more people will take notice, but still… Hopefully they release some information soon, especially some clips.
    So we have a confirmed premiere for May in the UK and a tentative date for Spring according to the Turner Resources PDF. So it could drop anytime between March and June. Not too long of a wait.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't wait for this. I've been missing my mixed-media fix since Flapjack went off the air, and this looks like it takes that concept beyond the impossible.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman
    I just wish I knew why more people weren’t discussing this series. I know it hasn’t been officially announced, and if that happens at the upfront then perhaps more people will take notice, but still… Hopefully they release some information soon, especially some clips.
    I'd love to discuss the show more; I pop in here whenever I can, but right now there just isn't a lot to discuss. Gumball's creators and producers are being so tight-lipped about the show and so little has been revealed so far that right now we can't do much more than speculate. When producers are this close-mouthed about a project, it usually means that said project is either very good or just not worth the hype. An example of the latter category would be Hero: 108, which received zero promotion by CN and very little info was revealed about it prior to its' debut; in the case of that show, unfortunately, after it premiered it became clear to me why there was so little ballyhoo surrounding Hero: 108. I hope that The Amazing World of Gumball will prove to be the opposite scenario: that it will turn out to be a great show and an unexpectedly pleasant surprise. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but it would be nice if Cartoon Network were to at long last get that breakthrough show of this era that will become their equivalent to SpongeBob Squarepants and Phineas and Ferb in terms of success and popularity. (When Chowder debuted in 2007 I actually believed that that show would be CN's new cash cow, but sadly this was not the case.)

I do hope that there will be an official announcement soon, along with some tangible information, images, clips and hopefully a set date for a US debut of the series.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Kiddington is offline tut tut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    It may be wishful thinking on my part, but it would be nice if Cartoon Network were to at long last get that breakthrough show of this era that will become their equivalent to SpongeBob Squarepants and Phineas and Ferb in terms of success and popularity. (When Chowder debuted in 2007 I actually believed that that show would be CN's new cash cow, but sadly this was not the case.)
    Eh... nah, I don't see that happening. I think it's safe to assume that CN will never have an equivalent to Spongebob. At best, they can hope for something to reach the same popularity level as, perhaps, The Powerpuff Girls or DBZ at their respective peaks... but not Spongebob.

Spongebob is a massive media/merchandising conglomerate, in a league all its own. We'll never (yes, I say never) see a CN series reach the kind of level that's on. Undoubtedly, part of this comes from having a company like Nickelodeon/Viacom in your corner, whereas Turner doesn't seek the same kind of output from their animation network. Another part of this also comes from CN's self-imposed term limits to their programming, whereas Nick doesn't care about the quality of the product, and will just milk that series dry until the end of time.

It's all the same, though. It really doesn't matter that Spongebob's overall episode quality is substandard nowadays; the series, its characters, and its merchandise is still absolutely huge, more so than anything CN can ever hope for. It's basically on a whole different level than any of its animated counterparts. CN just isn't a big enough brand to create something like that... and, as I mentioned earlier, their business practices kinda prevent that from ever happening, anyways.

Nexonius is offline Formerly John Dorian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I concur, while I like all the tones on Gumball, it shouldn't be CN's answer to SpongeBob Squarepants. In fact, none of Cartoon Network's comedies should be that way.

Cartoon Network's business side is fragile, as their sister company Warner Bros. Cosumer Products is barely working with them on anything, almost always missing a chance to sell products from their shows the way Nick and Disney usually do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You guys are right, of course. The truth is that Cartoon Network will never have their own Phineas and Ferb or SpongeBob for the simple fact that CN doesn't groom its' shows for that kind of success.

CN tends not to give their shows the kind of maximum exposure and necessary time needed for them to blossom into mega-hits, plus they don't have the advantage of having a mega-corporation in their corner backing them up the way that Nickelodeon has Viacom and Disney Channel has, well, Disney. Warner Bros. could have Turner's back, but those 2 entities still haven't learned how to play nice and get along completely yet. It's just a working relationship, nothing more.

On the one hand that's a good thing, because CN's shows rarely become saturated by overexposure and overextended life, but that can also be bad since so few of their shows achieve that level of notoriety or commercial hugeness.

Hopefully, The Amazing World of Gumball can at least secure a loyal following and be allowed to last enough to achieve Dexter's Lab or PPG level popularity. We can hope.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I normally don't say this, but thank you Huntsman for basically being the sole source of new information on this show. All your work over these many months has kept me interested in the product and made my interest rise in it greatly. Anytime a new post comes in, I make sure to look at this topic, hoping there's a clip (release something already!) or image or something cool to see about the show. Great work!
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am allowed to talk about one of the clips that I had the good fortune of seeing. Perhaps I will be able to talk about the others, in time, but hopefully this will pique some interests. The opening sequence is roughly fourteen seconds long; it is instrumental, without lyrics, but it’s primarily a visual piece. I will post some screenshots from the opening sequence and the clip in question, but please keep in mind that while these are not in widescreen, the series actually is.

I loved the opening. The visuals are a lot to comprehend and you have to see it in motion to really appreciate all of it; there was one part at the end, sort of like a kaleidoscope, that I didn’t want to take a screenshot of because the movement is what makes it enjoyable. I particularly like the expression that Gumball’s mom is making in the second screenshot; mothers in animation are seldom “fun” characters, so I’m hoping that she’ll break that trend and be a fun character.

As for the clip itself – I really enjoyed it. It was somewhat on the short side and I wish I would have known the context – why is Gumball wearing a dress, for example – but I really liked all of the voices and it’s nice seeing the animation in motion. I believe the network’s decision to cast non-traditional voice actors has paid off, as the kids actually sound like kids. The series felt like it had more in common with Chowder and The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack; I am somewhat concerned by this, because Cartoon Network has had somewhat of a tonal shift since those days, but not every show needs to skew as old as Regular Show does. I am certain there is room on the network for more than one type of comedy.

I just hope that it does premiere in the states. It should. I’m just uneased by the lack of an official confirmation; I suppose all we can do is wait until the upfront and hope for the best.

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast