Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    The Huntsman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ChildHood90s View Post
    I don't think the Dad will be unlikable, but it depends on how he interacts with his kids I bet. "Hey! Come on over; play a game with me!" or Richard could be a jerk and be all "Get out or shut up! I'm trying to watch the game here!!"
    I don’t think he’s “unlikable”. It’s just that Spaceman’s point about fathers being dumb, fat and lazy is a valid one. Hopefully Gumball’s father manages to avoid falling into those traps. I said my comments were based on what little I saw, and that is true; Gumball’s father was only in the clip for a handful of seconds. He had a high-pitched voice and wasn’t mean-spirited, and was more silly than anything. I just wasn’t particularly impressed by him in that scene. Perhaps my opinion on him will change when I see him in a more substantive role.
    Watch The Amazing World Of Gumball on Cartoon Network!
    Follow Ben Bocquelet on twitter!
    Like The Amazing World Of Gumball on facebook!

ChildHood90s is offline Loves his coffee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman View Post
    I don’t think he’s “unlikable”. It’s just that Spaceman’s point about fathers being dumb, fat and lazy is a valid one. Hopefully Gumball’s father manages to avoid falling into those traps. I said my comments were based on what little I saw, and that is true; Gumball’s father was only in the clip for a handful of seconds. He had a high-pitched voice and wasn’t mean-spirited, and was more silly than anything. I just wasn’t particularly impressed by him in that scene.
    Okay. I wasn't entirely sure what exactly either of you meant about Richard being an "obnoxious slob father/husband character" and "didn't leave a good impression", so I just stated my opinion... but I did get a negative impression from you both, so I had to comment on that as well. With your newly made edit to your previous post, I know that you're not being negative . Now the only possible negative thing I can see about him is he might be boring, but I don't think that'll happen at all.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mind you, I'm saying this without the benefit of having seen any clips featuring the parents, but I'm not getting the vibe that Gumball's dad Richard is going to be a jerk character; judging by those character descriptions, it would seem that those neighbor characters, the Robinsons are the ones set to fill the show's jerk quotient. They kind of remind me of the Bigheads from Rocko's Modern Life, only they're both jerks.

As for the dad, the impression I'm getting from him (again, I haven't seen any actual clips of him in action) is that Richard would seem to be a lovable teddy bear sort of guy, like a John Candy character. So I'm not all too worried about his character being negative. This however:

Quote Originally Posted by The Huntsman
    It says the mom works long hours, but hopefully that doesn’t translate to her seldom being on-screen. I don’t watch Johnny Test that often, but the mother in that series seems to have a similar role and she doesn’t seem to be in very many episodes because of it. I would like Gumball’s mother to show up just as often as his father.
    ...is a genuine concern of mine. I too really hope that the mother's being the working parent doesn't mean that she'll be the least seen member of the family. True, the parents' roles here are reversed as is the case on Johnny Test, and in the case of the latter show the mom doesn't appear as frequently as the other family members, but to Test's credit, the writers did a better job of getting the mom on camera after season 1. There were several instances where Johnny's mother could have or should have appeared, but didn't, however overall JT didn't do an entirely terrible job with the frequency of the mother's appearances. Out of Jimmy's Head did a far, far worse job with their mother character, who appeared so infrequently that she wasn't even considered a regular cast member. I'm really hoping that Gumball's mom Nicole (I don't know if that's really her name, but I'm going to call her that since no other name has been provided so far) will be an active and fun character who's seen as much as the father as opposed to her chief shtick being that she's never home. The pics I saw seem to suggest that the crew actually has plans to do things with the mother, so hopefully she won't be left out of the fun.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

CatChancey is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guys are dumb and lazy, especially fathers. Girls are really smart and hard working, especially sisters and mothers.

Yay, originality

This post brought to you by Cynicism™

But, yeah. I still like what I've seen of the actual show, but I've seen only what's on Youtube. I love the art and animation so much - I'd hate to see it ruined by the typical cartoon family fomula.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatChancey View Post
    Guys are dumb and lazy, especially fathers. Girls are really smart and hard working, especially sisters and mothers.

Yay, originality

One thing we do have to keep in mind is that Cartoon Network's website format forces them to boil a character's description down to a sentence or two, which never does a character justice. I'm sure the characters could be better described, and once the international site launches, it is my hope that those better descriptions will exist. They've created a decent amount of exclusive content specifically for online, to promote the series and get people familiar with the characters and their world. I'm looking forward to seeing that. It should be up in a matter of weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatChancey View Post

Yay, originality

But, yeah. I still like what I've seen of the actual show, but I've seen only what's on Youtube. I love the art and animation so much - I'd hate to see it ruined by the typical cartoon family formula.
    Formulas don't bother me as long as they're done well. Sometimes it's not what you have, but what you do with it that counts. I actually wouldn't mind if the Wattersons adhere to the typical family tropes as long as they're entertaining and endearing characters. I just hope that the mother's role as the breadwinner doesn't mean that she'll be excluded from the fun and craziness by being forced offscreen for most of the episodes.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cartoon Network showed a short clip for Gumball at the upfront, but I'm concerned about the news that The Looney Tunes Show is going to premiere on Tuesday. I had hoped that it would have been the lead-in for Gumball, and with Gumball premiering at 7:30 PM, it's going to seem like the odd man out of the comedy block. Hopefully they advertise it heavily.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Do you think perhaps because CN is likely getting the show in batches from the UK, that it will get 2 premieres a night at 7:30? Either way I hope it gets a strong lead-in but I guess Johnny Test is pretty strong if nothing else.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    Do you think perhaps because CN is likely getting the show in batches from the UK, that it will get 2 premieres a night at 7:30? Either way I hope it gets a strong lead-in but I guess Johnny Test is pretty strong if nothing else.
    Perhaps. I'm not complaining if that's the case. I didn't like how Cartoon Network divided up Chowder and Flapjack premieres, and while they would only have twenty weeks worth of new episodes if they air them in batches, as a fan, I would prefer seeing two episodes a week. I just hope enough people watch it, but I recall Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated doing pretty well under similar circumstances.

Mod bump powers... activate!

Here are a bunch of new character descriptions. It does seem that the school will be the primary setting, but hopefully it's executed well enough so that won't be a problem. One of the main things I hated about Fish Hooks was the school setting, so... All I can do is hope for the best. It amuses me that Gumball has a crush on a peanut girl.

Miss Simian: This sour-faced schoolmistress has been teaching second grade for 300,000 years. Miss Simian despises Gumball and always ruins his plans.

Principal Brown: Principal Brown is hopelessly in love with Miss Simian. He spends more time thinking about her than running the school.

Rocky: Rocky is a jack of all trades. He's the school cook, janitor, bus driver and handyman.

Mr. Small: Mr. Small is a new-age school counselor. Although his job is to advise others, he’s actually the one with the most problems.

Penny: Penny is a cute peanut with antlers. She's also the apple of Gumball's eye. They have a massive crush on each other but are both incapable of expressing it.

Larry: Larry works at just about every convenience store, gas station and DVD shop in Elmore.

Tina: Tina Rex is the school bully. Fearsome and aggressive, she makes the other kids’ lives unbearable .

Alan: Alan is the heart-throb of junior high, but only has eyes for Carmen… an impossible relationship for obvious reasons.

Carmen: Carmen the cactus is a leader amongst the girls. She returns Alan’s feelings even though she knows it can never be.

Hector: Hector is a furry, gentle giant. Despite his size, he's actually quite sensitive.

Anton: Anton is a crumbly piece of toast. He was drafted into Tina's gang against his will.

Tobias: Tobias thinks he’s a heavily-built jock, but is actually quite puny. Nevertheless he’s obsessed with sports and is always finding new ways to hone his physique.

Masami: Masami is the spoilt daughter of a wealthy rainbow-factory owner.

Clayton: Clayton is quite the storyteller. He's always telling absurd tales about himself.

Jamie: Jamie is a tough cookie. She’s Tina's sidekick and also loves to pick on people.

Idaho: Idaho is a good ol' potato from the countryside, a rural kid with old-fashioned beliefs and blunt manners.

Banana Joe: Banana Joe is the class clown. He spends his time laughing at other people and never quite realizes that the joke is usually on him.

Ocho: Ocho is a small but tough 8-bit spider. He's a nice guy, as long as you stay on his good side.

Bobert: Bobert is a true robot-dork. He is by far the smartest kid in class and is Miss Simian's self-appointed teacher's pet.

Carrie: Carrie is a depressed, deadbeat ghost. Like most emo kids, she enjoys being miserable.

Teri: Teri is always worried about being sick. She spends most of her time at the nurse's office.

Juke: Juke the ghetto-blaster is a foreign exchange student. Nobody understands a word he says because he only speaks in "beatbox."

Leslie: Leslie is a delicate, gentle flower-boy who plays the flute in the school band.

William: William is Miss Simian's snitch. He spies on his classmates and only ever speaks when whispering into Miss Simian’s ear.

SammyT is offline I love animals and animation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well the school setting is mildly bothersome. But I'm so excited about this show that I'm okay with that. This show is looking more and more like it's going to turn out great!
    http://smtfreelance.wordpress.com/

"To be alive is to love, for if you draw breath
    yet have no love inside, then you are DEAD!"

"There are no great stories, only great storytellers."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, if the school is truly going to be Gumball's principal setting, then this news lessens my enthusiasm. Quite a bit, in fact. Now I'm worried that this show is just going to be the new Fish Hooks. It's enough that this is going to be yet another show about an inept boy character, but it's going to largely revolve around the main character's school life also? Bleh.

I'm still going to give this show a chance, but this latest tidbit of news is not music to my ears. I'm so tired of school-centric kidcoms that I don't know what to do. I was hoping that Gumball would do something different. This news does not make me happy. I'm really hoping that this show will be more than just Saved By the Bell with a cast of oddities.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 03-23-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Removing Image

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    Well, if the school is truly going to be Gumball's principal setting, then this news lessens my enthusiasm. Quite a bit, in fact. Now I'm worried that this show is just going to be the new Fish Hooks. It's enough that this is going to be yet another show about an inept boy character, but it's going to largely revolve around the main character school life also? Get ready, 'cause here it comes...

-image deleted-

I'm still going to give this show a chance, but this latest tidbit of news is not music to my ears. I'm so tired of school-centric kidcoms that I don't know what to do. I was hoping that Gumball would do something different. This news does not make me happy. I'm really hoping that this show will be more than just Saved By the Bell with a cast of oddities.
    There’s no need to post an unrelated image, so I went ahead and removed that. I understand where you’re coming from, but all that matters is that the series is entertaining. I may have disliked Fish Hooks because of the school setting, but it was the uninspired things that they did with the school setting that caused me to lose interest. It felt just like every other Disney Channel sitcom in existence. If The Amazing World Of Gumball manages to have interesting plots in the school, then it will overcome any problems with the setting. And there will be a number of episodes that take place outside of the school, from what I’ve seen.

Daxdiv is online now Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since I don't care either way about the school setting, I'll still give it a chance. Who knows what they'll come up with. I'm a believer that if a cliche is executed well enough, I can overlook how much of a cliche it is.

Just read the character list and all I got to say is that most of them sound interesting enough. I just hope they're executed well enough and not tossed to the sidelines like other shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK, sorry about the image, and I'm still going to check this series out when it premieres. If the show is entertaining despite the overused setting, then that will indeed be a good thing, it's just that I was really, really hoping that we would get something else besides yet another show about kids going to school. And also, if there are going to be a fair amount of stories that don't involve the school, then it will be even better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxdiv View Post
    I'm a believer that if a cliche is executed well enough, I can overlook how much of a cliche it is.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daxdiv View Post
    Just read the character list and all I got to say is that most of them sound interesting enough. I just hope they're executed well enough and not tossed to the sidelines like other shows.
    Hopefully they get the website up in a day or two, and we can have pictures to go with the descriptions. Some of the descriptions provide enough to let you identify the characters, but a lot of them don't. I'm curious who the crumbled paper (bear?) thing is, as they're the most interesting visually out of the supporting cast.

Daxdiv is online now Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hopefully they get the website up in a day or two, and we can have pictures to go with the descriptions. Some of the descriptions provide enough to let you identify the characters, but a lot of them don't. I'm curious who the crumbled paper (bear?) thing is, as they're the most interesting visually out of the supporting cast.
    I agree that the crumpled up bear looks interesting. Some of the characters you can have an idea of who they are from that one large pic released by the Upfront. For example, I know what Banana Joe, Ocho, Tina and Carrie are supposed to look like in that pic as an example. But that bear is something that I can't figure out. It's like I'm playing a game of "Guess Who" with this.

Right now my only deductions based on the bear's designs is that it looks feminine in nature, so I expect it to be a girl and I'm trying to narrow it down to any description for a female character. Of course I know the consequences if it turns out to be a boy. Can't wait to see the profile pics on the CN website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, we now have pictures to go with the images. I now get the joke of Alan and Carmen's relationship; a balloon and a cactus don't mix well. They didn't upload a solo pic for Banana Joe, but I'm pretty sure they meant to.

Gumball: Twelve-year-old Gumball has an epic flair for misadventure. But no matter how his dumb schemes turn out, Gumball never seems to learn his lesson.

Darwin: Darwin used to be the family pet until he sprouted legs and became one of the Wattersons. He's innocent, naïve and Gumball's best friend.

Anais: Anais is the smartest member of the family, but no one will listen to her because she's only four.

Nicole: Mom is the only truly responsible person in the family. She works long hours at the rainbow factory to put food on the table.

Richard: Dad is a giant pink dummy rabbit. He spends most of his time at home watching TV and playing video games.

The Robinsons: Although they only live next door to Gumball's family, the Robinsons think they belong to an altogether different class. They're fussy, stuck up and mean.

Miss Simian: This sour-faced schoolmistress has been teaching second grade for 300,000 years. Miss Simian despises Gumball and always ruins his plans.

Principal Brown: Principal Brown is hopelessly in love with Miss Simian. He spends more time thinking about her than running the school.

Rocky: Rocky is a jack of all trades. He's the school cook, janitor, bus driver and handyman.

Mr. Small: Mr. Small is a new-age school counselor. Although his job is to advise others, he’s actually the one with the most problems.

Penny: Penny is a cute peanut with antlers. She's also the apple of Gumball's eye. They have a massive crush on each other but are both incapable of expressing it.

Larry: Larry works at just about every convenience store, gas station and DVD shop in Elmore.

Tina: Tina Rex is the school bully. Fearsome and aggressive, she makes the other kids’ lives unbearable.

Alan: Alan is the heart-throb of junior high, but only has eyes for Carmen… an impossible relationship for obvious reasons.

Carmen: Carmen the cactus is a leader amongst the girls. She returns Alan’s feelings even though she knows it can never be.

Hector: Hector is a furry, gentle giant. Despite his size, he's actually quite sensitive.

Anton: Anton is a crumbly piece of toast. He was drafted into Tina's gang against his will.

Tobias: Tobias thinks he’s a heavily-built jock, but is actually quite puny. Nevertheless he’s obsessed with sports and is always finding new ways to hone his physique.

Masami: Masami is the spoilt daughter of a wealthy rainbow-factory owner.

Clayton: Clayton is quite the storyteller. He's always telling absurd tales about himself.

Jamie: Jamie is a tough cookie. She’s Tina's sidekick and also loves to pick on people.

Idaho: Idaho is a good ol' potato from the countryside, a rural kid with old-fashioned beliefs and blunt manners.

Banana Joe: Banana Joe is the class clown. He spends his time laughing at other people and never quite realizes that the joke is usually on him.

Ocho: Ocho is a small but tough 8-bit spider. He's a nice guy, as long as you stay on his good side.

Bobert: Bobert is a true robot-dork. He is by far the smartest kid in class and is Miss Simian's self-appointed teacher's pet.

Carrie: Carrie is a depressed, deadbeat ghost. Like most emo kids, she enjoys being miserable.

Teri: Teri is always worried about being sick. She spends most of her time at the nurse's office.

Juke: Juke the ghetto-blaster is a foreign exchange student. Nobody understands a word he says because he only speaks in "beatbox."

Leslie: Leslie is a delicate, gentle flower-boy who plays the flute in the school band.

William: William is Miss Simian's snitch. He spies on his classmates and only ever speaks when whispering into Miss Simian’s ear.

Nobody² is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, we now have pictures to go with the images. I now get the joke of Alan and Carmen's relationship; a balloon and a cactus don't mix well. They didn't upload a solo pic for Banana Joe, but I'm pretty sure they meant to.

CN likes to make it tricky to navigate thier database.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody² View Post
    CN likes to make it tricky to navigate thier database.....
    Thanks. It looked to me that they uploaded one image twice, so I assumed they accidentally skipped Joe. I added it to the list. Hopefully the website launches in a day or two and they'll get some new videos up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Leslie the flower is a MALE???

But anyway, thanks for the pics, Huntsman. I had seen all of those characters in 1 of the early screen caps for the show, but I didn't realize that each and every one of those characters had a name an personality attached to them. Now that's commitment.

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast