Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Creme's Avatar
    Creme is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    All the late 90s Cartoon Network shows

    Like This Thread!

    And for you youngsters who don't know what I'm saying, I'm talking about:

    The Flintstones
    Huckleberry Hound
    Fantastic Four (60s)
    Superfriends
    Wally Gator
    Smurfs
    Thundercats
    The Jetsons
    Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Droopy
    Looney Tunes
    Sailor Moon
    Yogi Bear
    Top Cat
    Quick Draw McGraw
    Tom & Jerry
    Scooby Doo
    Wacky Races
    Jabberjaw
    Josie and the Pussycats
    Thundar the Barbarian
    Johnny Bravo
    Dexter's Lab
    Alvin & the Chipmunks
    Captain Planet
    Secret Squirrel
    Dynomutt and the Blue Falcon
    Hong Kong Phooey
    Two Stupid Dogs
    Gumby
    Magilla Gorilla
    Birdman
    The Snorks
    Silverhawks
    Swat Kats
    Underdog

    that's all I can think of, well there's some others I can think of but they weren't very good. Who agrees that CN of the late 90s, even early 00s is better than what children today are being subjected to?

    those poor poor kids

  2. #2
    .bg
    .bg is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Oop Narth
    Posts
    1,281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That is more of an early '90s list IMO.

    What's the point of this thread, anyway?

  3. #3
    Creme's Avatar
    Creme is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    comparing the old Cartoon Network of 10 years ago to the new one of today.
    Which one is better?

  4. #4
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So basically this is the umptee-seventh "Cartoon Network was so much better 10 years ago" thread. Goodness knows we don't have enough of those.

    Anyway, a lot of the shows you mentioned are on Boomerang now.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

  5. #5
    .bg
    .bg is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Oop Narth
    Posts
    1,281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    People, come on. We all know that Cartoon Network has steadily declined in quality over the years. We don't need this information repeated AGAIN.

    Somebody please lock this thread!

  6. #6
    veemonjosh's Avatar
    veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Grid
    Posts
    13,073
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ugh, it's not only a "Let's bash CN of today" thread, it's also a "Here's a huge list of shows, discuss" thread.

    *Reports thread*
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

  7. #7
    Goldstar Neo's Avatar
    Goldstar Neo is offline Dat's cold, bro!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonsville
    Posts
    9,145
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does it bother anyone else that at least half of the shows that the thread creator listed were made before 1990?

    Anyways, by now it's common knowledge that Cartoon Network has become a dismal shadow of it's former glory. We certainly don't need this fact reiterated one more time.
    The Twin Factor: The Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Opinions. Riffs. Geeks. Other stuff.

  8. #8
    Kagetsu is offline Hooligan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ausländer
    Posts
    3,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    And for you youngsters who don't know what I'm saying, I'm talking about:

    The Flintstones
    Huckleberry Hound
    Fantastic Four (60s)
    Superfriends
    Wally Gator
    Smurfs
    Thundercats
    The Jetsons
    Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Droopy
    Looney Tunes
    Sailor Moon
    Yogi Bear
    Top Cat
    Quick Draw McGraw
    Tom & Jerry
    Scooby Doo
    Wacky Races
    Jabberjaw
    Josie and the Pussycats
    Thundar the Barbarian
    Johnny Bravo
    Dexter's Lab
    Alvin & the Chipmunks
    Captain Planet
    Secret Squirrel
    Dynomutt and the Blue Falcon
    Hong Kong Phooey
    Two Stupid Dogs
    Gumby
    Magilla Gorilla
    Birdman
    The Snorks
    Silverhawks
    Swat Kats
    Underdog

    that's all I can think of, well there's some others I can think of but they weren't very good. Who agrees that CN of the late 90s, even early 00s is better than what children today are being subjected to?

    those poor poor kids
    :anime: Not one of those shows would I sit through to watch over the shows I'm now watching.

  9. #9
    Nexonius's Avatar
    Nexonius is offline Formerly John Dorian
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Earth Two
    Posts
    3,395
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From back in the day, you guys stood up for what CN has done, but most of you guys who enjoyed the CN shows of the 1990s are bashing it now just because some of you don't like their programming or their decline or whatnot. I won't give any browny ponts to CN and their schedule is pretty bad, but it's better than Nick showing Spongebob or Zoey 101 or Toon Disney having Power Rangers or Digimon or any other crap or Disney Channel having teen shows about girls. If they still showed mostly HB or Warner Bros. toons, then CN wouldn't know how to be independent with their own studio made shows, or French or Anime shows while still being in the same company where WB and HB are (Time Warner). If CN would relaunch with the checkerboard logo, you guys will say it'll still take more than that, or if Looney Tunes came back to CN, you guys will still not be pleased enough, or any HB titles came back to CN, you guys will STILL not be pleased enough. And if CN brought back the cityscape or Powerboard, Powerhouse.....whatever, 1998-2004 bumpers, you guys will STILL not be pleased enough. If they take off Gym Partner or Camp Lazlo or Squirrell Boy, and CN make "Good Shows" you guys will be finally satisifed, would you guys? It took CN 13 years to take down classics to Boomerang. Just watch Boomerang and stay in the "nostalgic" zone forever. Meanwhile some of us are getting used to it and going by the flow in life. Most HB shows are on DVD, so is Looney Tunes and old 1990s Animaniacs and Pinky and The Brain. If you liked CN back in the day and religously watched CN's old shows and now hate the new CN, you're being just plain hypocrite.



    -John D. Timmons.

  10. #10
    macattack's Avatar
    macattack is online now I see you!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Timmons
    From back in the day, you guys stood up for what CN has done, but most of you guys who enjoyed the CN shows of the 1990s are bashing it now just because some of you don't like their programming or their decline or whatnot. I won't give any browny ponts to CN and their schedule is pretty bad, but it's better than Nick showing Spongebob or Zoey 101 or Toon Disney having Power Rangers or Digimon or any other crap or Disney Channel having teen shows about girls. If they still showed mostly HB or Warner Bros. toons, then CN wouldn't know how to be independent with their own studio made shows, or French or Anime shows while still being in the same company where WB and HB are (Time Warner). If CN would relaunch with the checkerboard logo, you guys will say it'll still take more than that, or if Looney Tunes came back to CN, you guys will still not be pleased enough, or any HB titles came back to CN, you guys will STILL not be pleased enough. And if CN brought back the cityscape or Powerboard, Powerhouse.....whatever, 1998-2004 bumpers, you guys will STILL not be pleased enough. If they take off Gym Partner or Camp Lazlo or Squirrell Boy, and CN make "Good Shows" you guys will be finally satisifed, would you guys? It took CN 13 years to take down classics to Boomerang. Just watch Boomerang and stay in the "nostalgic" zone forever. Meanwhile some of us are getting used to it and going by the flow in life. Most HB shows are on DVD, so is Looney Tunes and old 1990s Animaniacs and Pinky and The Brain. If you liked CN back in the day and religously watched CN's old shows and now hate the new CN, you're being just plain hypocrite.
    QFT. For all of its flaws, CN contains more watchable material than either Nick or Disney, especially for audiences of the general age median on the boards.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

  11. #11
    Dr.Pepper's Avatar
    Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In A House
    Posts
    6,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes generally speaking shows were better back then, than they are now. I think we all know this.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

  12. #12
    Linkpre's Avatar
    Linkpre is offline Just a Guy
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Timmons View Post
    From back in the day, you guys stood up for what CN has done, but most of you guys who enjoyed the CN shows of the 1990s are bashing it now just because some of you don't like their programming or their decline or whatnot. I won't give any browny ponts to CN and their schedule is pretty bad, but it's better than Nick showing Spongebob or Zoey 101 or Toon Disney having Power Rangers or Digimon or any other crap or Disney Channel having teen shows about girls. If they still showed mostly HB or Warner Bros. toons, then CN wouldn't know how to be independent with their own studio made shows, or French or Anime shows while still being in the same company where WB and HB are (Time Warner). If CN would relaunch with the checkerboard logo, you guys will say it'll still take more than that, or if Looney Tunes came back to CN, you guys will still not be pleased enough, or any HB titles came back to CN, you guys will STILL not be pleased enough. And if CN brought back the cityscape or Powerboard, Powerhouse.....whatever, 1998-2004 bumpers, you guys will STILL not be pleased enough. If they take off Gym Partner or Camp Lazlo or Squirrell Boy, and CN make "Good Shows" you guys will be finally satisifed, would you guys? It took CN 13 years to take down classics to Boomerang. Just watch Boomerang and stay in the "nostalgic" zone forever. Meanwhile some of us are getting used to it and going by the flow in life. Most HB shows are on DVD, so is Looney Tunes and old 1990s Animaniacs and Pinky and The Brain. If you liked CN back in the day and religously watched CN's old shows and now hate the new CN, you're being just plain hypocrite.



    -John D. Timmons.
    That's almost exactly how I've been feeling about this subject. Cartoon Network isn't really as terrible as people put it out to be. They just seems to have lost that uniqueness about them.

    CN has some great shows and more new shows on the way. The biggest thing they could improve is making fun blocks again like Fridays, Super Chunk and others.

  13. #13
    Creme's Avatar
    Creme is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    CN is pretty bad. As are the rest of the cartoon channels you're bringing into this discussion (for what reason I do not know, but its irrelevant what CN shows compared to what Nick shows and Disney Channel, who cares).
    All I know is that Cartoon Network of five years ago and beyond was all around watchable.
    Now what's good? My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Team Galaxy (which btw is cancelled), Ben 10, Juniper Lee, Storm Hawks, Naruto, Blood Plus.
    That's just a handful of shows out of all the cartoons that are on CN. I'm referring to a time when just about everything was great

  14. #14
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So what would make you happy? You want CN to go back to the way it was back in the 90's? Not gonna happen. Cable TV is a business, and as such it must progress with the times. The 'old school' toons aren't going to air regularly on CN again as long as Boomerang exists and the acquisitions are starting to come out on DVD. Since CN's target audience is roughly kids 14 and under, if you're having issues with their current lineup, chances are that you've just outgrown the network. Want to return to CN's "good ole days"? Do like Mr. Timmons says and watch Boomerang and buy the DVDs.

    Things go in cycles. 10 years from now, someone will create a thread complaining about CN in 2017 and wishing that Gym Partner, Camp Lazlo, Squirrel Boy and Class of 3000 would come back to the network.
    Last edited by Silverstar; 08-03-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

  15. #15
    Creme's Avatar
    Creme is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    Ugh, it's not only a "Let's bash CN of today" thread, it's also a "Here's a huge list of shows, discuss" thread.

    *Reports thread*
    you must be very insecure if you're begging for this thread to be locked. Is CN your daddy or something?

  16. #16
    abwayax's Avatar
    abwayax is offline Operation Time Capsule guy
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Teh Face.
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's this thread, and it's on the same page too!
    Operation Time Capsule is back! 400 Cartoon Network bumpers and promos and counting

    Have a bumper from Cartoon Network's "Checkerboard", "Powerhouse", or "City" eras? Upload them to the archive!

    Want a place to discuss the old Cartoon Network with likeminded fans? Join the Operation Time Capsule forums!

  17. #17
    DarthGonzo's Avatar
    DarthGonzo is offline Ten Years on TZ!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Franklin Square, NY
    Posts
    10,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

  18. #18
    KPTitan's Avatar
    KPTitan is offline The Doc is in...
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    looking for tornadoes
    Posts
    2,738
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ummmm.......oookay.....I wonder why there always has to be a mini-World War III just 'cause somebody's expressin' their opinions about current tv listings. I like both new and old CN, which would include all the Hanna-Barbara cartoons, Teen Titans, Code Lyoko, Pokemon, and the now-just-started-watching-for-me Xiaolin Showdown.

    P.S. about Nick and Disney bein' dissed right now in this thread: Only shows I watch on those are Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob, Danny Phantom, and Kim Possible.
    "I respect that you don't eat meat. Please respect that I don't eat fake meat." - Raven, Teen Titans

    "There's my tax dollars at work, coming to arrest me." - Riley Poole, National Treasure: Book of Secrets

  19. #19
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossibleTitan View Post
    Ummmm.......oookay.....I wonder why there always has to be a mini-World War III just 'cause somebody's expressin' their opinions about current tv listings.
    It's not a "mini-WW3", but just count the number of "CN today sucks" threads that are on the first page of this folder alone. How many times do we have to hear "Cartoon Network was so much better back in the 90's" before it gets old and tiresome? We get it already: old CN was better than the current CN. But the naked truth is that CN isn't going to go back to the way it was during the 90's, and all of the carping and moaning in the world isn't going to change that; nowadays those shows are either on Boomerang or on DVD now. 90's CN was great, yes, but it's a bygone era now. Time to move on.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

  20. #20
    Creme's Avatar
    Creme is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstar View Post
    So what would make you happy? You want CN to go back to the way it was back in the 90's? Not gonna happen. Cable TV is a business, and as such it must progress with the times. The 'old school' toons aren't going to air regularly on CN again as long as Boomerang exists and the acquisitions are starting to come out on DVD. Since CN's target audience is roughly kids 14 and under, if you're having issues with their current lineup, chances are that you've just outgrown the network. Want to return to CN's "good ole days"? Do like Mr. Timmons says and watch Boomerang and buy the DVDs.

    Things go in cycles. 10 years from now, someone will create a thread complaining about CN in 2017 and wishing that Gym Partner, Camp Lazlo, Squirrel Boy and Class of 3000 would come back to the network.
    None of that's true. seriously you're just making assumptions. lets stop the gayness

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO