Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

It would be one thing if there were separate companies for cable and internet. I think a lot of people would have no problem cutting the cable cord if that were the case, since you could always get entertainment from alternative means (Netflix, iTunes, Hulu+, etc.). The point I'm making is, people can live without cable, but it's not as easy to live without internet. But all too often, the cable companies control BOTH cable and internet. And as mentioned, they purposefully make it so that you basically pay the same amount for cable and internet as you would for just internet. So if you ONLY want internet, they've got you by the balls.

EDIT: Here's a good opinion piece for those who think this isn't a big deal or is a good thing.

The ShopSoldier is online now DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have another good opinion piece on this, as well - got to keep this argument relevant, after all...

Americans: we love paying more for less
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Free Press intends to take action on March 6. RSVP here.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As if there was any more doubt, we are now a corporatocracy. Comcast paid numerous members of Congress. Oh let's just call it what it is: A bribe. To basically let Comcast do whatever they want.

I love their quote:
    “It is important for our customers, our employees and our shareholders that we participate in the political process. The majority of our PAC contributions are to the senators and members who represent our employees and customers.”
    Yeah, it's really necessary for a cable company to have a say in national laws.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    As if there was any more doubt, we are now a corporatocracy. Comcast paid numerous members of Congress. Oh let's just call it what it is: A bribe. To basically let Comcast do whatever they want.

As for their quote... Yeah, it's really necessary for a cable company to have a say in national laws.
    And yet, we're worried about Russia and Ukraine... Why aren't we fighting this like real citizens, as in like how Ukraine is fighting for themselves? Then again, they have fast and open communication, hence how they were able to organize against their current situation - Unlike us...

Seriously... Once open & fast internet is gone, we've got nothing but a dystopian scenario to look forward to, IMHO. Just one more reason voting when it comes to fighting back on trash like this is not enough anymore.....
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm so relieved we're being heard. I feared all the money would turn every Senator's ear deaf.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Matt Hazuda is online now Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess the bribe rate went up since that last jerk of an FCC chair got a sweet position at Kabletown when they approved the buyout of NBC.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is a God after all. THIS, however, is something we need to keep paying attention to - they will try this again.
    Trust me.
    Spoiler:

Kung-Fu Yoshi is offline What is love?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So... the merger's dead?
    YouTube Account: MarioBrosFan4000
    FanFiction Account: MarioMan67

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Yoshi View Post
    So... the merger's dead?
    Quite possibly.

Matt Hazuda is online now Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's not. They'll make some concessions to pander to the complainers, pay off who they need to and get it through somehow. They managed to bribe their way into buying NBC, so Comcast isn't going to take this sitting down.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Shawn Hopkins is online now TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hope that's not the case, but, yeah, I saw nothing in that article about it being blocked, just that lots of people are in opposition to it and Comcast is spending lots of money on lobbyists to get officials to ignore those people. I guess we'll see what it costs to buy the FCC.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    It's not. They'll make some concessions to pander to the complainers, pay off who they need to and get it through somehow. They managed to bribe their way into buying NBC, so Comcast isn't going to take this sitting down.
    Oh, I see... The merger is still alive...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    The business trend over the last few years is to split media companies into two parts (One highly profitable and the other part poorly performing). This also applies to Viacom when they split into two back in 2006 and News Corporation last year (News Corp and 21st Century Fox), and TimeWarner when they spun off their AOL and cable divisions (soon with Time Publishing), but yet Comcast and Disney are getting larger and will probably get too large to manage in the future.
    Check out the Cartoon Network International News Thread: Future Schedules, News, Ratings, Promos and Bumpers from all over the world:
    http://www.toonzone.net/forums/carto...ws-thread.html
    Happy St. George's Day - 23rd April

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3