Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Beemo View Post
    It's really the GOP's embrace of suicidal immigration policy that's gotten them into this predicament. Part of me wants to feel bad for them, but the other part doesn't.

Just goes to show that errors in judgement will always come back to haunt you.
    Noted. For. Victory!!

Also, to the guys telling me about AJA and RT - THANK YOU. I'll be more weary of them, knowing all of this now... I guess I just so sick of seeing the same old things.
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

darkdetective is offline Reporter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    Yeah, Reagan called it the "Big Tent." Of course the GOP gave up on that when they put the "Whites Only" sign in front of the tent and are slowly spriraling down the drain of historical losers. I guess the question is will there be any right-leaning group who can take over the GOP's void and actually be willing to embrace anyone who isn't white, straight, male, insufferably religious and gun-toting.
    Ironic, considering the GOP was started by anti-slavery activists, and the first GOP president was Lincoln.
    My superhero webcomic, updated weekly. www.sparkthecomic.com!
    Check out the animated trailer here!

Beemo is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Republicans have actually bent over backwards to try to appeal to non-whites. Remember that Bush caused the housing bubble by debauching credit standards specifically to increase Hispanic home ownership, with the reasoning being that they would then be willing to become GOP voters. Nevermind that Bush was also the first to propose amnesty for illegals and Karl Rove went out of his way to demonize immigration restrictionists.

Like I said, it's the GOP's fault for embracing such a liberal immigration policy. It makes no sense for them to support bringing more people into the country that will never vote for them.
    Last edited by Beemo; 03-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.

stephane dumas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We got provincial elections here in Quebec, the PQ attempt to get a majority at the provincial parliament and try to bring back the souvereignty ambitions.
    Quebec election campaign kicks off for April 7 vote - Montreal - CBC News
    PQ’s sovereignty ambitions shouldn’t distract from larger realities in Quebec | Toronto Star

By: Chantal Hébert National Affairs, Published on Sat Mar 08 2014

MONTREAL—A few days into the April 7 election campaign Quebec is an island of relative tranquility in a Canadian sea of whipped-up referendum angst.

For the better part of the week there has been more talk of sovereignty and a future Quebec referendum in Toronto than in Montreal or anywhere else in the province.

A foreign visitor landing in the rest of Canada this week might have been forgiven for thinking that Quebecers were poised to spend the next month intensely discussing their political future. In fact it is columnists based outside the province who are apparently dying to redraw the federation in their place.

(On that score the prize goes to the columnist who suggested that it should be made clear to Quebecers that if they separated they would have to conduct their future business in English in the rest of Canada. How different from the status quo that would be!)

Meanwhile, for the first day of the campaign Pauline Marois was so eager to avoid the referendum issue that she spent 24 hours ducking the media at every turn.

In what has to be a first for a PQ leader, the opening statement of her campaign was devoid of a single reference to sovereignty.

When the questions inevitably caught up with her, Marois essentially kept all her options open.

If the PQ believed there was mileage to be had from talking up sovereignty and a referendum, it would do so. But no issue is more likely to cost it votes in this campaign than this one.

As an aside, more than a few PQ insiders believe that if Marois has a hidden agenda, it is more likely to involve bowing out at mid-mandate after having burnished her title as the first female Quebec premier by securing a majority government than to lead an uncertain march to independence

HG Revolution is online now Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemo
    The Republicans have actually bent over backwards to try to appeal to non-whites. Remember that Bush caused the housing bubble by debauching credit standards specifically to increase Hispanic home ownership, with the reasoning being that they would then be willing to become GOP voters. Nevermind that Bush was also the first to propose amnesty for illegals and Karl Rose went out of his way to demonize immigration restrictionists.

Like I said, it's the GOP's fault for embracing such a liberal immigration policy. It makes no sense for them to support bringing more people into the country that will never vote for them.
    And why will they never vote for them?
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ron Paul wins the CPAC convention straw poll this year. (his second consecutive year winning it). Ted Cruz came in a distant second place.

I could see Paul ending up the leading candidate in the 2016 primaries...

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You mean Rand Paul won it. At least he doesn't get ignored by the media like his dad did in poll placings.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

wonderfly is online now In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    You mean Rand Paul won it. At least he doesn't get ignored by the media like his dad did in poll placings.
    Woops. Yeah, my bad. At least that's not as bad as saying "Osama" when meaning to say "Obama"...

Shawn Hopkins is online now TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Ron Paul wins the CPAC convention straw poll this year. (his second consecutive year winning it). Ted Cruz came in a distant second place.

I could see Paul ending up the leading candidate in the 2016 primaries...
    I dunno. He's a little too on the extreme end of the spectrum, tends to say things that don't play well in the media. No need to secretly videotape this guy, just play the clip of him supporting business-owners rights to put up a "whites only" sign.

On the plus side he's got some crossover Libertarian appeal, but not enough that it's poison as it was with Ron Paul. I'm skeptical of straw polls, though, especially those like the CPAC one that only represent a certain segment of the party.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I spotted that article about Edward Snowden
    Snowden: NSA ‘Setting Fire To The Internet,’ Violated Constitution ‘On A Massive Scale’ « CBS Houston

AUSTIN, Texas (CBS Houston/AP) — National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden spoke at this year’s South By Southwest Interactive Festival.

But the former NSA contractor did not appear in person at the conference in Austin on Monday. Instead, Snowden spoke via a video connection through Google Hangouts in front of an image of Article 1 of the United States Constitution.
    Snowden participated remotely as he remains in Moscow where he’s living in temporary asylum, reportedly making use of seven proxy servers in order to avoid being located.
    During the interactive talk, Snowden addressed the information connection policies of the NSA directly.
    “When we think about what’s happened with the NSA in the last decade … it’s nothing that we ever asked for,” he said. “It’s not what we wanted, [and] it’s something we need to protect against.”
    Snowden also asserted that the NSA is “setting fire to the … Internet,” according to a full transcript of the talk on the blog Inside, and described attendees of the Festival – as well as members of the technology community at large – as “firefighters” who can “fix this.”
    He later singled out former NSA director Michael Hayden and current NSA director Keith Alexander as “two officials who have harmed our internet security, and actually, our national security.”

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You'll recall that in 2013, Congress delaying any aspect of "Obamacare" was considered so unacceptable we had a shutdown showdown over the point. Today, going by this astonishing piece in the Wall Street Journal, in practice the individual mandate in "Obamacare" pretty much isn't going to exist for the forseeable future due to the actions of the Health and Human Services Department, which implement rather low standards for opting out of the mandate. Meanwhile enrollment in the exchanges continues to track below expectations, and data like this continues to bode ill:

Meanwhile, a McKinsey & Company survey reports that a mere 27% of people joining the exchanges were previously uninsured through February. The survey also found that about half of people who shopped for a plan but did not enroll said premiums were too expensive, even though 80% of this group qualify for subsidies. Some substantial share of the people ObamaCare is supposed to help say it is a bad financial value. You might even call it a hardship.
    To reiterate, the stated purpose of this was to insure the uninsured and it was claimed time and again this would positively impact the cost of health care for most also - hence "Affordable Care Act". I think complaints about executive overreach are only getting getting stronger also. The last two months have seen changes and delays and waivers introduced that go far beyond what was before Congress last October. Is this not amending the bill by another name?
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tonight was a special election for Florida's 13th District. It was to replace the late Bill Young, a Republican. Republican David Jolly won over Democrat Alex Sink and Libertarian Lucas Overby by 2%: Republican Jolly wins Fla. congressional race

Some political pundits see this as a test on how the midterm elections will go this November. I think its a little early at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A little news from overseas, New Zealand will hold a referendum about a new flag to replace the current one
    New Zealanders will get referendum on changing national flag | CTV News
    you can see some proposals had shown over the years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ze...bate#Proposals

Kindness King is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In a referendum vote that shouldn’t come as a surprise, the numbers coming out of the Crimea referendum vote appear to be overwhelmingly in favor of leaving Ukraine.

Granted, the initial reports are coming from Russian state TV. With over half the votes counted, 95.5 percent had chosen the option of annexation by Moscow, the head of the referendum commission, Mikhail Malyshev, said two hours after polls closed.
    According to Malyshev, he turnout was very high, around 83 percent. On some levels, that number may seem almost too high considering that many who opposed the move had said they would boycott the vote. On the other hand, as we have reported, Crimea is largely Russian speaking and made up of a population which is vastly of Russian heritage

The United States, the E.U. and NATO had preemptively denounced the referendum as being illegitimate and a violation of international law. Those claims are not slowing Russia which has deployed about 60,000 troops along the Ukrainian border, the government in Kiev said.

Reports from the region indicate that the new Ukraine government has closed border crossings to Russia and will mobilize as many as 15,000 volunteers in the next 15 days to defend the nation.

Breaking: Crimea Overwhelmingly Votes To Leave Ukraine For Russia, Ukraine Says It Will Defend Nation | Ben Swann Truth In Media

Also, most Americans do not support America getting involved with Ukraine.

A new Pew Research Center poll shows that Americans want the government to stay out of Ukraine.
    “By a roughly two-to-one margin (56% vs. 29%), the public says it is more important for the U.S. to not get involved in the situation with Russia and Ukraine than to take a firm stand against Russian actions.”
    The poll also finds that more Americans disapprove of President Obama’s administration’s handling of the situation than approve with 44% disapproving while just 30% approve. This statistic was cut down party lines with 67% of Republicans disapproving, 56% of Democrats approving and Independents disapproving by roughly two-to-one (52% to 24%).
    Only 16% of Republicans and just 5% of Democrats believe that military options should be considered.

Americans To the Obama Admin: Stay Out Of Ukraine | Ben Swann Truth In Media
    More harm has been done by people panicked over societal decline than societal decline ever did.

-xkcd.com

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    GOOD - We Americans don't need to be getting our hands dirty in Russia's affairs. Let them fight it out on their own, IMHO - they're good and capable of doing so.

We Americans have our own problems to deal with - like with how this nation is suffering from within from issues that do matter. I hope I don't have to list examples, personally.
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

macattack is online now I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Illinois had the second primary in the nation and Gov. Pat Quinn breezed in the Democratic primary. We don't know yet who will be the Republican challenger. State senator Jim Oberweis won the Republican primary to face U.S. Senator Dick Durbin in the November midterm elections.

Classic Speedy is offline It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So, remember when the NSA said they were only collecting metadata about phone calls, not content? Yeah, that was a lie.

Oh, and remember when the major tech giants denied knowledge that they knew about the NSA grabbing their data streams? Yeah, that was a lie too.

Do either of these really surprise anybody here?

CartoonFridays is offline Promoted to detective.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fred Phelps, Sr. has died, a family member has said. I don't want this to be a hate thread now, since we'd be perpetuating his message, so I'll just say this...

BOUT TIME
    Young lady, I'm an expert on humans!

HG Revolution is online now Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now does his hateful cult die with him? The death of his legacy would be a death worth celebrating more than the death of the man himself.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast