Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Cyberville Outcast is offline The Busiest Lazy Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    As a roughly 5'6" guy (5'6.5" minus a tiny bit if you want to be picky) with an older brother who's 2 inches shorter than me AND uncles that are/were (accounting for the deceased ones as well) in the 5'0"-5'4" range, our heights have not inhibited our ability to enjoying our lives. How one carries him/herself is what matters much more. I'd rather be a 4'0" guy with all the confidence in the world than a 6'0" guy who's insecure all around about himself. It sounds crazy I know, but I can guarantee that the former will get more respect and enjoy his life much more despite his size. In short, nobody (or at least 99% of people) would give a crap about a guy's short height UNLESS the guy himself shows that he's insecure about it.

Looking at the big picture though, you're still in 'normal range', even if on the lower end. The overall average American man is 5'9.5" thereabouts, and I'm not sure how much you know about distribution curves, but if you ever take a look at one, you may notice that the height at the very left end of the curve is about 5'0"-5'1" while the very right end of the curve is about 6'6"-6'7". Given that you're 5'3", you're within that range, making you normal.
    From entertainment to animation to life, I talk about anything here:

http://cybervillesanctuary.blogspot.com/

VG_Addict is offline Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    But I guess I still won't grow anymore.

^ Are you saying I'm still relatively normal in height?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    But I guess I still won't grow anymore.

^ Are you saying I'm still relatively normal in height?
    Pretty much. At my college campus, I've seen guys who are 5'1" up to my height on a daily basis. Of course the number of guys who are taller than me vastly outnumber the number of guys my height or below, but a guy your height is still common enough that in typical crowds (such as the dining halls at my campus around lunch time), no one would really notice your 'shortness'. As Shawn said above, below 4'10" is dwarfism, and that is when your height will be noticed right away from a far distance. But even many people who fall into that category still find their ways to be successful in life, Peter Dinklage is a famous example. I also recommend searching up Dr. Michael Ain, a 4'3" surgeon who worked HARD to get to where he's at now. A really good quote to follow is that "bigness is not measured in inches, but in feats. F-E-A-T-S,". This was told to 2'10" Greg Rice by his step-mother, the former going on to becoming a successful estate agent and investor.

On an end note, I will say this, if you are looking for more support on coping with your height, stay the heck away from the celebheights comment sections and bodybuilder forums. Plenty of people who visit these two sites religiously may be under the illusion that dwarfism starts anywhere from 5'2-5'8" (depending on the poster). The posts on these sites (especially the latter) are just plain mean-spirited and soul crushingly over the top, it's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberville Outcast View Post
    Pretty much. At my college campus, I've seen guys who are 5'1" up to my height on a daily basis. Of course the number of guys who are taller than me vastly outnumber the number of guys my height or below, but a guy your height is still common enough that in typical crowds (such as the dining halls at my campus around lunch time), no one would really notice your 'shortness'. As Shawn said above, below 4'10" is dwarfism, and that is when your height will be noticed right away from a far distance. But even many people who fall into that category still find their ways to be successful in life, Peter Dinklage is a famous example. I also recommend searching up Dr. Michael Ain, a 4'3" surgeon who worked HARD to get to where he's at now. A really good quote to follow is that "bigness is not measured in inches, but in feats. F-E-A-T-S,". This was told to 2'10" Greg Rice by his step-mother, the former going on to becoming a successful estate agent and investor.

On an end note, I will say this, if you are looking for more support on coping with your height, stay the heck away from the celebheights comment sections and bodybuilder forums. Plenty of people who visit these two sites religiously may be under the illusion that dwarfism starts anywhere from 5'2-5'8" (depending on the poster). The posts on these sites (especially the latter) are just plain mean-spirited and soul crushingly over the top, it's ridiculous.
    The misc section of bodybuilding is full of misogynists.

I just thought of something: What if when I try to get a job, my potential employer searches me and finds all the posts about me worrying about my height?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The misc section of bodybuilding is full of misogynists.

I just thought of something: What if when I try to get a job, my potential employer searches me and finds all the posts about me worrying about my height?
    I highly doubt they go onto forums for that (if you're worried about it though, I personally would change your info so that it has absolutely no connection to who you are offline, and you can keep posting whatever the heck you want). Employers would more likely look at your facebook, twitter, instagram and/or some other social media site that takes facebook's place in the future because they're the place 'to be' online so to speak. In fact, I don't think any forum online has nearly a quarter of the amount of users like facebook does (which has around 1 billion users as of now, correct me if I'm wrong though). People who post pictures of themselves drinking beer every day and people who make threatening comments (to their boss and/or even society around them) are what the employers target when 'stalking' through their candidates' profiles on social media sites, where it's more likely to happen. Though if, and I mean if most of the posts worrying about your height happen to be on facebook, twitter or wherever, honestly, the bigwigs will likely look past that (so as long as they aren't suicidal and/or overly hateful). That said, I would delete the past posts you've made on the social media sites regarding your height just to be safe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't use social media, except for twitter. And I haven't posted anything about that on twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't use social media, except for twitter. And I haven't posted anything about that on twitter.
    Good. As far as I'm concerned then, you're in the clear. In the meantime, just keep your chin up and you'll do fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't want to have to settle for a short, ugly, desperate girl.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't want to have to settle for a short, ugly, desperate girl.
    If you don't get a more positive outlook, you'll never get any girl. Lack of confidence and complaining are two of the biggest turn offs, way worse than shortness.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

EinBebop is offline Kneel Before Zod
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    But I'm telling you- most of us women aren't that shallow to reject a guy just because he's shorter.
    That's not been my experience when reading personal ads. But that's okay, helps weed out the shallow ones.
    "He lived hard and died stupid."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast