Quantcast
Page 35 of 105 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast
    The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    This is why we need to continue to view the "job creators" and the 1% with continued, as well as increased ire, IMHO - and not just for this one election cycle, either. I give to you these heroic articles I feel no one else will provide you. Arm yourselves with this knowledge today and fight accordingly...:

The National Memo » Wages Fall At Record Pace

The National Memo » The Capitalist’s Case For A $15 Minimum Wage

Other than that, I don't whether to smile at this, or feel even more anger than those two articles above generate, if only just from myself...:
    House GOP Revolts Again
    Last edited by The ShopSoldier; 06-21-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: To sound less violent and reactionary

stephane dumas is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The ShopSoldier View Post
    This is why we need to continue to view the "job creators" and the 1% with continued, as well as increased ire, IMHO - and not just for this one election cycle, either. I give to you these heroic articles I feel no one else will provide you. Arm yourselves with this knowledge today and fight accordingly...:

The National Memo » Wages Fall At Record Pace

The National Memo » The Capitalist’s Case For A $15 Minimum Wage
    The trouble is, we got to deal with some unintented consequences or good intentions going bad like some of Timmy Turner's wishes in FOP.
    Raising California

California’s Assembly voted Thursday to increase the state’s minimum wage from $8.00 to $9.25 in phases by 2016 and then tie future increases to the rate of inflation. Given the Democratic supermajority ruling the state, it has a pretty good chance to become law, though attempts to ban plastic shopping bags and limit fracking were defeated this week as well, so it’s not a sure thing. Here’s how bill sponsor Assemblyman Luis Alejo (D-Salinas) explained the need, courtesy of the Sacramento Bee:
    Assembly Bill 10 by Assemblyman Luis Alejo, D-Salinas, passed 45-25 mostly along party lines. It would be the first bump in minimum wage since 2008, when it was raised by 50 cents to $8.
    "The last time the minimum wage was increased, gas was $3.25 a gallon in California," Alejo said. "I don't know about you, but I haven't seen gas prices at that level in a long time."
    And you never will, given that California has the highest gas taxes in the country and will be sticking drivers with another 3.5 cent-per-gallon increase come July. It’s quite remarkable how oblivious he is about the reason why gas in the state is so expensive. And given that gas station employees likely fall on the low end of the wage spectrum, he might well make it even more expensive. (And no doubt somebody out there who doesn’t understand franchises will wonder why all those huge oil company profits don’t trickle down to gas station employees)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    SIGH... There's always a downside, isn't- there! Even though wages still need to be higher for everyone, period, especially those working truly low-end jobs (if only to make ore appetizing tan they are to begin with!!) - this is only common sense and would help a lot of struggling people out despite rising costs - Well, anything to make my current job seem worth my time (I just got recently let off from a job that paid me a lot better one, which really stinks hard, knowing that I'm in college and will need healthcare coverage soon...)!

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You increase the wages, prices for everything is just going to go up. It's a vicious cycle.

EDIT: Well now. http://news.yahoo.com/glenn-greenwal...190521551.html
    Last edited by macattack; 06-23-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    You increase the wages, prices for everything is just going to go up. It's a vicious cycle.
    I just want to ask this - is it like this anywhere else other than America, or am I just talking crazy for acting that at all?

Punisher is offline One Shot At Glory
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The ShopSoldier View Post
    I just want to ask this - is it like this anywhere else other than America, or am I just talking crazy for acting that at all?
    Look at Australia. They get paid higher wages, but the cost of daily living is double what it is over here. I do not believe that increasing minimum wage will have any beneficial effect at this point in time.
    "There comes a time in your life when you have to make a decision, you have to choose. Do you want to wear Armani suits? Or do you want to take care of orphans?" Me, I choose to wear Armani suits. Let somebody else take care of those spoiled brats."-Kurt Angle

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with that sentiment. I think minimum wage hikes are basically a lie. All that's going to happen is that in order to cover costs of the increased payroll (justified or not), companies will retain fewer workers and/or jack up the prices on everything, in other words create inflation.

The Democrats know this and yet keep promoting this lie.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The cost of living keeps rising through inflation whether the minimum wage increases or not, though. If the minimum wage had simply kept up with inflation it would be more than $10 an hour today. When it's not adjusted the real value of a minimum wage person's income decreases every year, as does their spending power and their positive impact on the economy. That's why some people, like Mitt Romney, have suggested "indexing" it to match inflation.

Would raising the minimum wage cause cost-push inflation? Maybe, but probably not so much cost-push inflation that it completely offsets the increased spending power. It's not as simple as "wages increase this much, companies increase prices the same amount" because companies have other ways to cut costs to avoid passing them directly on to the consumer. And of course minimum wage isn't the whole wage picture, another reason there probably wouldn't be a one-to-one effect.

Australia, it has to be noted, has the second-highest standard of living in the world by the Human Development Index. The U.S. is third. I don't think their way is hurting them too much.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

stephane dumas is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently, the Texas legislature is trying to pass some pro-life laws and is facing major resistance.

Despite Massive Protests, Texas GOP Rushes Through Abortion Restrictions In The Middle Of The Night | ThinkProgress

Regardless of your stance on the pro-choice/pro-life debate, the timing of this legislation (in the middle of the night during a special session with relaxed rules for passage) should make everyone mad. This is a crazy sketchy way to pass any legislation, especially a polarizing bill such as this.