Spider-Man is offline Wallcrawler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Article: 10 ways self-hating fans make genre entertainment worse

Like This Thread!
    I came across this article over at i09 and thought it was worth sharing. A very interesting look at genre fandom and pretty on the nose I find.

http://io9.com/5902560/10-ways-self+...tainment-worse

Do you agree? What do you maybe disagree on? Have you done anything listed in the article?
    "Most people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are. But for me? It's about keeping it a secret." - Spider-Man

"Why is there so much hatred and bigotry? Why do we hate people who seem to be different than we are instead of enjoying the variety?"- Stan Lee

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    I came across this article over at i09 and thought it was worth sharing. A very interesting look at genre fandom and pretty on the nose I find.

http://io9.com/5902560/10-ways-self+...tainment-worse

Do you agree? What do you maybe disagree on? Have you done anything listed in the article?

4. Getting squirrelly when people want to analyze what's really going on in these stories.
    Moff's Law. It's not just a suggestion, it's a law. It's right there in the name. As the TVTropes page helpfully explains, Moff's Law doesn't mean that you have to analyze or deconstruct things to death — just that you shouldn't get upset when other people want to do it. If you're secure and self-assured in your love of The Phantom Menace, then you shouldn't care if other people want to bring up the weird subtext of Jar-Jar. By all means, defend River Song from her critics — but there's no reason to insist that criticizing/analyzing River Song is incompatible with enjoying her stories. If an in-depth discussion of Vampire Diaries' sexual politics is seriously hindering your ability to appreciate Naked Damon, then just stop reading. But don't let your insecurity dictate how everybody else can talk about the stories you enjoy. Because yes, sometimes, in-depth analysis can contribute to making stories better, in the end.

Friggin' hell, this one drives me crazy. When I want to analyze themes and metaphors in something, there's always some mental munchkin who jumps on my back and tries to shut me down and shut me up. I swear that some people consider sci-fi and cartoons nothing more than something to stare at while one shovels Cheerios in one's face. Anything can have a deeper meaning and the people who just don't want to see that are the ones missing out. At least leave people alone if they want to talk about those things.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    8. Pretending to be into something way more obscure than what you actually like.
    "Oh, well, all the regular people like Star Trek, but I'm only into Jason of Star Command. It's kind of an underground cult show, you probably haven't heard of it. The DVDs are out of print, too. It's more sophisticated than Star Trek, and it doesn't spoonfeed you explanations for everything. You probably wouldn't like it." (Or substitute Doctor Who and Sapphire and Steel, I guess.) Again, nobody ever feels the need to disavow their love of the popular books, shows and movies, unless there's some weird self-reproach going on. And hipstery obscurantism only validates the notion that popular stuff is automatically schlock — which makes it more likely to become schlock, because that's what everybody expects anyway.
    OMG I can't stand this. Look, it's fine if you have heard of a more obscure film or show and want to recommend it. But don't act like a snob because of it- it smacks of "Look at how much of a movie buff I am! You simpletons only like what's popular right now!"
    3. Looking down on some other group of fans
    Whenever people feel uneasy about their own fandoms, the natural thing is to displace that onto hating some other group of fans. You might suspect, deep in your heart, that your love of Thundercats is silly — but hey, at least you're not a Twi-hard. And so on. This is not cool. By all means, offer a reasoned, informed critique of Twilight — there's plenty to criticize — but don't look down on the fans. Because trying to create hierarchies of fandoms just results in some people feeling unwelcome, which makes everything smaller and less interesting. And you know, the fine distinctions you're making between the brilliant thing that you like and the terrible thing that other people like will be lost on many, many people. They'll just hear that everything is terrible, and this translates, in the minds of creators, to "We shouldn't ever try to make things not terrible, because nobody will notice anyway.")
    Also agree with this. Criticize the work, not the fans. If you do the latter, forums just devolve into little cliques, and that's no fun.