Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ever get nostalgic? Or would you rather forget the past?

Like This Thread!

On most of these boards, we often refer to nostalgia when talking about the cartoons/hobbies of our youth. But that's just one part of nostalgia. The other part involves memories and experiences of the past as a whole, usually of the positive kind.

Of course, not everyone has had positive experiences in the past. There are some who would just as soon forget the past, whether it be that they were bullied, had bad teachers, had few friends, etc,.

I have mixed feelings about the past. In some ways, some of my best experiences were with the friends I had as a kid. I had an average childhood--some good experiences, some bad--but generally when I think back on it, I can remember more good than bad. I can also remember experiences I took for granted back then that I appreciate more now.

As an adult, I've briefly talked to or met up with some old childhood friends. Sometimes we met by chance, sometimes through the web. But for me, I often find that we've changed so much, we can't go back to those days. More often than not, the people we've grown up to be have little in common with each other, unlike when we were children. It's times like these that remind me how important it is to keep moving forward. Good old memories are important to treasure, but at some point you have to move on.

I think more than a few of us are guilty of glorifying the friendships we had in the past. I know I did at times, and probably still do. I know there are many people in the world who reconnect with old friends and renew their relationships with them, but for me, I've often find that we're just at totally different points of our life now, with different lifestyles.

How about you guys? Are you the type to just keep moving forward, and forget the past? Or do you get nostalgic? Have you tried reconnecting with old chums? How'd it go for you?

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can be a very nostalgic person. I had a very fun childhood, and I often enjoy reliving the memories I have of friends, family, and school during that time. I never moved growing up, so pretty much from Kindergarten to 12th grade I went to school with many of the same kids. We all grew up together and shared many of the same experiences, so it was a great time that's formed many terrific memories.

Since high school graduation I drifted apart from many of them. I've only reconnected with a few via MySpace/Facebook, but we live too far apart to see each other in person. But we keep each other up-to-date on our lives. However, my best friend in high school is still my best friend now, fifteen years after graduation. Really, other than just getting older, working, etc., there's not much different about us these days and we still share many of the same interests. It's great having had a friend who goes back so far. (1993 was when we first met.)
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Currently Watching: Arrow, Bates Motel, The Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Justified, Ripper Street, Toy Hunter.

The ShopSoldier is offline DISGRACED, yet CONFIDENT...
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My past... Is a disease I'm trying to cure myself of - one reason being that my childhood sucked....
    I didn't make a lot of friends back in Jersey either (not like I needed a lot of them, but the feelings of being alone and spat on were there throughout high school!).

Not to mention, I had some really bad taste in cartoons, most of them being stuff a lot of people like that I... just seem to hate... Most of the cartoons I like, I'm sure everyone else would dislike today, anyway, if I were to share here.

Yeah. I'm one of those people trying to build on his/her future, rather than cling to a yesterday that as much as I'd love to go back to if it meant being more financially/politically secure (aka in a good economy with jobs abound worth the sweat and hours) - that's all I'd look forward to. Nothing else.
    Tropes that are ruining Western/European Animation (and any animes involving school):
    Spoiler:
    1. Twins and/or Rich Kids as antagonists; Bullies in general. 2. Annoying jerk sibling characters and/or General sibling characters who hate each others' guts. 3. Hidden Caucasian male dominance (usually subverted to be female in anime, which can be equally as bad – and a real turnoff in general!).

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't get too nostalgic over at least some aspects of my past. I certainly don't have fond memories of elementary school. Those were horrible years for me, especially sixth grade, which was easily the worst year of school of my life and thank goodness none of my later school years were even close to being like that. I had some friends during those years, but they started to hang out with other people and would ignore me and insult me in front of my face, as well as behind my back. It didn't help that I was socially awkward and no one was aware that I had Asperger's Syndrome until the middle of my sixth grade year. By the sixth grade, I had no real friends, I was constantly being picked on and threatened. the teachers and staff didn't offer much help and the best part of the day was going home. That elementary school I went for for fifth and sixth grade changed to a preschool a few years ago and I'm honestly quite happy that the place doesn't even exist anymore.

Even though I was still in the same area, I drifted away from pretty much all of the kids in my elementary school after going to a different middle school and then later a private high school. I didn't want to deal with them for another few years when I had the chance to avoid all of that emotional pain. Even if I had a Facebook page and used the Twitter account I made when I thought my friend suggested me to do so, I have no desire to reconnect with those people. None of them were really my friends at the time and while I'm sure many of them have changed, there's still a lot of emotional scars left from my experiences with them that I don't care to find out for sure. One girl, who wasn't really a friend, but more of an off again, on again bully, drove by my house once when I was helping my Mom with the yard work. She had a baby with her boyfriend and was working at a Home Depot. Her friend also had a baby and another girl, who I actually considered to be my friend for a few years, also had a baby a couple of years earlier. Honestly, it was just kind of weird to think of people I went to elementary school having kids. I did make a real friend in my eighth grade year. I call her up every weekend and we talk about Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and other stuff that we like.

In regards to school and people from that time, I prefer to move forward instead of looking back. In most cases, there wasn't anything I wanted to look back to.

I have much more nostalgic feelings towards my past with my family. I remember how my Dad, older brother and I would go out like every weekend when I was little. We would go to places like Toys R Us, Blockbusters and fast food places. This was before I stopped eating meat and realized that McDonald's food wasn't that good. Still, I remember having a lot of fun with them and I can still remember being small enough to sit in between the two front seats. I remember my Mom welcoming me home from school before she had to go back to work. For a long time, I felt really sad that she wouldn't come home until well after I did, especially during those really hard years in elementary school, but I knew even then that it was financially necessary. I get really nostalgic when I think about my dogs too, like how they would welcome me home every day from school, the way the looked when they were so happy, carrying around plates and cans whenever they got excited and waking up to find both of them sleeping on me. Although, that might be more dealing with my grief than simply being nostalgia. If I could bring back anything from my past, it would be my two puppy dogs, happy, healthy and pain-free. I would much rather have them back than rekindle any connection to people I went to school with.

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post

Even though I was still in the same area, I drifted away from pretty much all of the kids in my elementary school after going to a different middle school and then later a private high school. I didn't want to deal with them for another few years when I had the chance to avoid all of that emotional pain. Even if I had a Facebook page and used the Twitter account I made when I thought my friend suggested me to do so, I have no desire to reconnect with those people. None of them were really my friends at the time and while I'm sure many of them have changed, there's still a lot of emotional scars left from my experiences with them that I don't care to find out for sure. One girl, who wasn't really a friend, but more of an off again, on again bully, drove by my house once when I was helping my Mom with the yard work. She had a baby with her boyfriend and was working at a Home Depot. Her friend also had a baby and another girl, who I actually considered to be my friend for a few years, also had a baby a couple of years earlier. Honestly, it was just kind of weird to think of people I went to elementary school having kids. I did make a real friend in my eighth grade year. I call her up every weekend and we talk about Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and other stuff that we like.
    I know where you're coming from with this. There was this place I worked at as a teenager and one of the guys there was a total tool. My mother and I moved to a new neighborhood some years after that, and it turns out that his family actually lives next door to our new house. The guy was already living on his own by the time I moved out there, but a year later, he was visiting and he recognized me when I was going to my car. We exchanged a few words, and he told me he now lives with his girlfriend and they have a kid together. He might have made some improvements to his personality since we were younger, but I still wouldn't be compelled to actually make friends with him or anything.

Now I actually still get nostalgic about my youth, despite a lot of unpleasant things happening back then. I had some rough times with other kids and a particular teacher from this elementary school I went to, but I'll have to say that my best memories lie with that school as far as school memories go. I'd even rank it above college, with high school coming after. Believe me, high school was definitely no cake walk for me, even though I did have some good times back then. It was just the silly little things that kept me going though. Even with all the hard times I had to endure, I could always take comfort in knowing that there were new movies, video games, and episodes of my favorite shows to look forward to. See? Silly little things.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

RockmanDash is offline Retired Das Boom Champion A Simple Day Champion Action Escape Kitty Champion Bee Sting Champion Catnarok 2 : Longcat rampage Champion Karate Monkey Champion Ultimate Mierda Champion Justice Hero Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm only 18 so I'm not sure if I have the exact answer in my heart about these of types of things.

I do have bad memories of the past that I think I do want to deeply forget because of being horribly bullied, friends changing, and just terrible love experiences. Yet, at the same time I keep also having the feeling that if I just try to forget about it then I'm only running away since those memories are what made me a much stronger person compared to how I was in High School/Junior High. All of those really bad moments really opened my eyes about how some people truly are and it helped me mature in the process.

Besides all of that, I'm really grateful for the childhood I got to have and my life right now in the present.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting. A lot of people so far seemed to have had bad experiences as children. I'm sorry to hear that, although I know very well children can be very cruel because they haven't learned the nuances of the world yet. Instinctively, I usually knew that standing out too much--whether being too goody or being a loner or weird or unusually awkward--would draw a target on me. I didn't actually articulate that as much when I was a kid, but now that I think of it, I spent a lot of time trying to make sure I had my back covered. Although I did get picked on by some kids sometimes, they picked on everyone, so I never felt I was being unusually targeted.

I will say that I have always found it a lot of work building relationships, right from the first day I stepped into kindergarten. When people made friends with me, I was relieved since I didn't have to go out of my way to break the ice. I'm fairly receptive when people try to break the ice with me, but I'm not so good at getting other people to let down their guard. I got along with a good variety of people, but I always had to work my butt off to actually make friends--people you actually do stuff with outside of school.

I will say that socially, I reached a sort of "peak" time during high school. Those were years when I actively built up my network by myself, after spending my first year in high school pretty much wandering the halls alone. So I do get nostalgic about high school because I'm very proud of those years. I went up to people who otherwise wouldn't give me a second thought and managed to build friendships with them. I couldn't have known how massively disappointing it would be when we all drifted apart. I worked my ass off to build relationships with them, and now poof, it's gone. I still find it hard to summon up the energy to keep starting over like that. Some people are natural people persons. I feel like I have to drain all my reserves to tap into 1/5th of what naturally social people can do.

As an adult, the friendships I've had were often short lived because adult lives seem to be always in flux, at least for people of my age. I'd get to know people at work or social events for a while, but just when we'd start breaking the ice, we'd get new jobs, move away, etc,. It's tough. In a way I wish I'd kept in contact with at least 1 or 2 friends from my pre-college years, but they motored through their adult years so quickly--getting married, having kids, etc,.-- I kind of instinctively knew that we were beginning to have very little in common anymore.

I actually haven't been nostalgic for a while, but while perusing Funimation's upcoming releases and coming across their scheduled re-release of Armitage III, an anime from 1994 or so, I've been having massive flashbacks to my high school years. It wasn't even an anime I really liked all that much, and I didn't even think anything of it when Pioneer re-released it on DVD in the early 2000s. But now we're going on almost 16 years since I first saw it, and it's just the experience I remember surrounding it. I remember watching it with all my friends one time, just chilling in my buddy's basement and enjoying the summer. The weirdest things can trigger nostalgia.

GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do occasionally get nostalgic; like when I play one of the old Pokemon games or watch an animated show/film that I saw alot when I was younger. But I often ignore most of what happened when I was younger, since I found out some of what I enjoyed is pretty bad XD

James Bester is offline Screaming for Vengeance
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm nostalgic about certain aspects of my past. I miss the days when I would spend entire weekends playing Metroid Prime or Super Smash Bros. Melee between games of baseball in the neighborhood with the only friends I had at the time. Back then, I don't think I really cared about anything. I was basically friendless at school and didn't even know how to interact with the opposite sex, but yet I was content with it. I guess I would always make fun of the "normal" people in high school to feel better about the constant rejection. Eventually being constantly alone got to me, but I feel like it was perhaps too late, since it still affected how awkward I am with meeting new people even these days. If there's one thing I wish I could correct, it would be to physically confront the people who hazed me through all of middle school and mentally scarred me for years, instead of standing by and getting further hurt and isolated everyday. Or at least not deal with it by shielding myself from people through all of high school. I've nearly recovered, but it was a way more difficult process than it should have been...and still is.

So, I look back at portions of the past with a great amount of longing. However, there is a large portion of it that I view as unfulfilled opportunity. It seems that some of us in our younger age view ourselves as less than we really could be or actually are...and then later in life, you feel like you wasted time by not embracing it.
    "I demand nothing, but I want it all. What privilege do we have, under the sun, that gives us the right to the throne?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If I may diverge from my own thread topic for a bit, I want to ask some of the (apparently) younger members here about bullying.

Do you think the internet has played any part in your childhood torment? Did you ever have experiences getting bullied online? My generation ended high school just before the internet went mainstream, which was around 96-97 or so. Do you feel that with the start of the internet generation, bullying has gotten worse in general compared to the past?

Of course, it's also dependent on where you live. It goes without saying there are cities with different demographics which bring different biases and their own localized social norms.

People of my generation tend to view bullying as being a minor part of childhood and to just learn to develop "thick skin." But school life is so different today that I'm not sure some older folks can necessarily fathom how kids live and interact today. When I was in school, maybe 1 in 10 kids carried cell phones around every day, and that was mostly in my last 2 years of high school. Now it's like 9.9/10 kids (There's always at least 1 kid in every school who's anti-cell, LOL) I remember in my latter years in high school I used to go to the library during my free period and I would see the same girl every time at the 2 or so computers that had internet access, firing off e-mails. She certainly was on top of this technology stuff! The majority of the students in my school could not make heads or tails of even HOW to send e-mail!

So I don't think some of us older folks are necessarily in a position to judge the environment for kids during the 2000s.

Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When it comes to entertainment, sure, it's fun to sometimes look back to the past (though I actually think that animation as a whole has gotten progressively better over the last few decades), but as many know by my posts here, I make it a point not to feed and clothe myself on nostalgia. Most of the stuff I liked as a kid hasn't aged well and the ones which have I have a much greater appreciation for now than I did then.

But regarding my personal life experience, yeah, I'd prefer to keep much of that buried away in Al Capone's vault. My childhood wasn't horrible, but there were snags and roadblocks. I was a suburban raised, King's English speaking, voracious book-reading black kid who supposedly didn't 'act black', so I was largely ostracized by my so-called brothers and sisters, and one half of my family tree (the relatives on my mother's side) seemed to exist solely to annoy and embarrass me and cause drama. (I've always been closer to the relatives on my father's side, but they all lived in other towns and I didn't get to hang with them as much as I might've liked.) Good portions of those years I've successfully managed to block out, and my fondest memories of my formative years (outside of certain key moments) were those of entertainment.

Long story short, I prefer to look forward rather than backward.
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do get nostalgic a lot. But part of my childhood was great, but part of it was absolutely terrible and I'd rather not think of the horrible days ive had during my childhood. Trust me, they were BAD. I'd rather not even think or go into detail about the most anxiety filled days I've ever had.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Who doesn't just a little bit? I think it's unhealthy and a creativity cramper in large amounts, however.

Do you feel that with the start of the internet generation, bullying has gotten worse in general compared to the past?
    No. The anonymity of the internet and over sharing doesn't help matters, but I wouldn't say it was worse.
    "You make something contemporary and cool and it becomes mediocre, and there’s nothing more criminal than mediocrity. I can deal with a giant flaming disaster and I can deal with something being a beautiful vision, but mediocrity is just horrible." - Doc Hammer

BartWinkle is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are plenty of experiences from my past I'd rather forget. Especially school. Particularly the period from when I was between 7-13 when I was at a special-ed school. For a myriad of reasons it was a living h--l. The first several years outside there weren't exactly a bed of roses either, mostly because of all the mental abuse I took from my parents and grandmother.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am a very nostalgic person. Probably in part to the fact that I have a good memory. I get nostalgic over the dumbest of things to be honest. Seriously one time I was in the family's 20-year-old truck and just the sound of the blinker brought back memories.

For the most part my preschool/elementary school days were nice. My middle school days were kind of iffy (mostly just at school, my home life was alright) but I really want to forget my high school days. I just don't even want to talk about them.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I am a very nostalgic person. Probably in part to the fact that I have a good memory. I get nostalgic over the dumbest of things to be honest. Seriously one time I was in the family's 20-year-old truck and just the sound of the blinker brought back memories.

For the most part my preschool/elementary school days were nice. My middle school days were kind of iffy (mostly just at school, my home life was alright) but I really want to forget my high school days. I just don't even want to talk about them.

Yes, sometimes sounds and smells make me nostalgic. I remember once, on a date a few years ago, my date's perfume reminded me of someone I knew when I was 10. I was like, "I haven't smelled that scent in decades!" Then she looked at me in a funny way, so I had to reassure her it was a compliment.

I would say if there were any years in my past that I don't want to talk about, it's my college years. It's not that I dealt with horrible people or anything, but it just, well, my deficiencies were totally exposed, and my anxieties and phobias became more pronounced than ever before. Sometimes that is even worse than dealing with horrible people. Someday I might want to take a closer look at those years again retrospectively, but the thing is, I'm still getting over them even today.

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sure, I get nostalgic. As a recent example, I went to one of my alma mater's softball games last week (I graduated in 2010) and even though I haven't missed having my life dominated by my sport over the last couple of years, I did get nostalgic for the field; after all, I played ball from the ages of 4 to 22. My shoulder is wrecked and probably in need of surgery--or at least PT--and I blew my knee out and I never got along particularly well with most of my teammates over the years, but the impact something that huge in your life for 18 years doesn't fade quickly. I had a helluva lot of good times, more good than bad by miles, and do miss it.

On the whole, I'm in a pretty good place in my life right now, getting a job that's really in line with what I want to do with my life and I don't turn 24 until next month. I'm more apt to look forward just because things are falling into place thanks to a lot of hard work (and luck) and I'm just excited by the prospects. There will always be things I think back fondly on, but the here and now is pretty dang good for me, too.

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    LJ | FF.N | AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast

G. Wen is offline aspiring artist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Overall, no. I'm much happier with who I am now than I ever was, and I want to move forward. Also, with the internet, you can visit relics from the past anytime you wish. But I like the freedom and rights I have now.
    http://artistgracewen.carbonmade.com
    gratiaegracewen.blogspot.com

stephane dumas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For nostalgia, it's a mixed bag on my case. I don't got lots of good stuff happening at elementairy school and the earlier years of junior high. On a more positive side, I had lots of fun when I watched tv on Friday Nights and Saturday mornings, back at a time when French-Canadian tv networks TVA and Radio-Canada got some anime and European cartoons in their schedule mixed with Disney and H-B toons. When my 2 older sisters and their friends listened albums like Supertramp "Crime of the Century" in 8-Track cardtridge durring Summer days.

On a off-topic sidenote, when I mentionned a case of mixed bag. I spotted this clip showing various pictures of Harlem from the 1980s along with a thread on Skyscraperpage about pictures of Harlem from the 1980s/early 1990s and 2007.. and another photographic thread about then and now
    but that's a story for another topic. ^^;

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In regards to the movies, music, TV shows, and other associated pop culture things, sure. I grew up in the '90s, and quite a lot of that stuff still holds up. But in regards to my actual childhood, dear God no. You couldn't get me to relive my elementary and middle school years even if you paid me.

No, rather than looking back on my past with rose-colored glasses, I think a much wiser course of action is to look forward to the future, while still keeping your past in mind so you don't make the same mistakes you did back then.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast