Quantcast
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Silverstar is offline Comfortably Dumb
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    When it comes to entertainment, sure, it's fun to sometimes look back to the past (though I actually think that animation as a whole has gotten progressively better over the last few decades), but as many know by my posts here, I make it a point not to feed and clothe myself on nostalgia. Most of the stuff I liked as a kid hasn't aged well and the ones which have I have a much greater appreciation for now than I did then.

But regarding my personal life experience, yeah, I'd prefer to keep much of that buried away in Al Capone's vault. My childhood wasn't horrible, but there were snags and roadblocks. I was a suburban raised, King's English speaking, voracious book-reading black kid who supposedly didn't 'act black', so I was largely ostracized by my so-called brothers and sisters, and one half of my family tree (the relatives on my mother's side) seemed to exist solely to annoy and embarrass me and cause drama. (I've always been closer to the relatives on my father's side, but they all lived in other towns and I didn't get to hang with them as much as I might've liked.) Good portions of those years I've successfully managed to block out, and my fondest memories of my formative years (outside of certain key moments) were those of entertainment.

Long story short, I prefer to look forward rather than backward.
    Like cartoons, comedy, riffs, wisecracks, funny video clips and humorous commentary on animation and geek culture? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do get nostalgic a lot. But part of my childhood was great, but part of it was absolutely terrible and I'd rather not think of the horrible days ive had during my childhood. Trust me, they were BAD. I'd rather not even think or go into detail about the most anxiety filled days I've ever had.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Who doesn't just a little bit? I think it's unhealthy and a creativity cramper in large amounts, however.

Do you feel that with the start of the internet generation, bullying has gotten worse in general compared to the past?
    No. The anonymity of the internet and over sharing doesn't help matters, but I wouldn't say it was worse.
    "You make something contemporary and cool and it becomes mediocre, and there’s nothing more criminal than mediocrity. I can deal with a giant flaming disaster and I can deal with something being a beautiful vision, but mediocrity is just horrible." - Doc Hammer

BartWinkle is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are plenty of experiences from my past I'd rather forget. Especially school. Particularly the period from when I was between 7-13 when I was at a special-ed school. For a myriad of reasons it was a living h--l. The first several years outside there weren't exactly a bed of roses either, mostly because of all the mental abuse I took from my parents and grandmother.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am a very nostalgic person. Probably in part to the fact that I have a good memory. I get nostalgic over the dumbest of things to be honest. Seriously one time I was in the family's 20-year-old truck and just the sound of the blinker brought back memories.

For the most part my preschool/elementary school days were nice. My middle school days were kind of iffy (mostly just at school, my home life was alright) but I really want to forget my high school days. I just don't even want to talk about them.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I am a very nostalgic person. Probably in part to the fact that I have a good memory. I get nostalgic over the dumbest of things to be honest. Seriously one time I was in the family's 20-year-old truck and just the sound of the blinker brought back memories.

For the most part my preschool/elementary school days were nice. My middle school days were kind of iffy (mostly just at school, my home life was alright) but I really want to forget my high school days. I just don't even want to talk about them.

Yes, sometimes sounds and smells make me nostalgic. I remember once, on a date a few years ago, my date's perfume reminded me of someone I knew when I was 10. I was like, "I haven't smelled that scent in decades!" Then she looked at me in a funny way, so I had to reassure her it was a compliment.

I would say if there were any years in my past that I don't want to talk about, it's my college years. It's not that I dealt with horrible people or anything, but it just, well, my deficiencies were totally exposed, and my anxieties and phobias became more pronounced than ever before. Sometimes that is even worse than dealing with horrible people. Someday I might want to take a closer look at those years again retrospectively, but the thing is, I'm still getting over them even today.

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sure, I get nostalgic. As a recent example, I went to one of my alma mater's softball games last week (I graduated in 2010) and even though I haven't missed having my life dominated by my sport over the last couple of years, I did get nostalgic for the field; after all, I played ball from the ages of 4 to 22. My shoulder is wrecked and probably in need of surgery--or at least PT--and I blew my knee out and I never got along particularly well with most of my teammates over the years, but the impact something that huge in your life for 18 years doesn't fade quickly. I had a helluva lot of good times, more good than bad by miles, and do miss it.

On the whole, I'm in a pretty good place in my life right now, getting a job that's really in line with what I want to do with my life and I don't turn 24 until next month. I'm more apt to look forward just because things are falling into place thanks to a lot of hard work (and luck) and I'm just excited by the prospects. There will always be things I think back fondly on, but the here and now is pretty dang good for me, too.

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast: Avatar: The Last Airbender

G. Wen is offline aspiring artist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Overall, no. I'm much happier with who I am now than I ever was, and I want to move forward. Also, with the internet, you can visit relics from the past anytime you wish. But I like the freedom and rights I have now.
    http://artistgracewen.carbonmade.com
    gratiaegracewen.blogspot.com

stephane dumas is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For nostalgia, it's a mixed bag on my case. I don't got lots of good stuff happening at elementairy school and the earlier years of junior high. On a more positive side, I had lots of fun when I watched tv on Friday Nights and Saturday mornings, back at a time when French-Canadian tv networks TVA and Radio-Canada got some anime and European cartoons in their schedule mixed with Disney and H-B toons. When my 2 older sisters and their friends listened albums like Supertramp "Crime of the Century" in 8-Track cardtridge durring Summer days.

On a off-topic sidenote, when I mentionned a case of mixed bag. I spotted this clip showing various pictures of Harlem from the 1980s along with a thread on Skyscraperpage about pictures of Harlem from the 1980s/early 1990s and 2007.. and another photographic thread about then and now
    but that's a story for another topic. ^^;

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In regards to the movies, music, TV shows, and other associated pop culture things, sure. I grew up in the '90s, and quite a lot of that stuff still holds up. But in regards to my actual childhood, dear God no. You couldn't get me to relive my elementary and middle school years even if you paid me.

No, rather than looking back on my past with rose-colored glasses, I think a much wiser course of action is to look forward to the future, while still keeping your past in mind so you don't make the same mistakes you did back then.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast