Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    defunctzombie is online now Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crystal Pepsi, New Coke, and all those other failures

Like This Thread!

So we older kids had the experience of drinking Crystal Pepsi and New Coke, two products that ultimately failed (despite massive hype at their introductions).

Now, we're almost 15 years into the new century, so what do you guys think are the soda failures of the new generation?

I for one liked the regular Coca Cola with lime. I was pretty disappointed when it was phased out, and now you can only get the diet variety. I also really liked Pitch Black Mountain Dew, and was really sad when it disappeared (though it's short reintroduction last summer made me happy).
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never got to try New Coke; I was too young to be aware of much of the world.

I tried the Crystal Pepsi, though. Looked like 7-Up but tasted like Pepsi. It didn't feel right to me, as I suspect it didn't for everyone else.

One cola I've always wanted to try is Vanilla Coke, which they still sell, but only in crates of 24 cans. I don't want to buy and waste that much soda just for a sample.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really? The convenience store I work at sells it in 20 oz bottles.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    Really? The convenience store I work at sells it in 20 oz bottles.
    Not around here. Different regions have different things. New Coke survived into the 90's in a few places under the label "Coke II."
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    At that time Pepsi was my life blood, and I tried Crystal Pepsi and it tasted like poison to me. I thought I was going to barf.

Another really bad one was the Raspberry flavored Pepsi. It tasted like they made it raspberry flavored by pouring raspberry flavored suntan oil in it.

Oh, wait, kids are reading this. Kids, before we knew the sun would kill us, we actually went out in the sun and tried to get tans. We would accelerate this process with special oils meant to bake you to a crispy brown. Not exactly the opposite of sunscreen because they helped protect against sunburn, too, but causing what we now call sun damage to your skin was the goal.

And they sold it with images like this, and sorta racist slogans like "Don't be a paleface!"

In our next lesson I will explain Jarts.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

JShaggy is offline Happy People ClickPLAY! Rainbow Champion BioGems Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I could never really get into Mountain Dew Pitch Black. The black grape flavor was just too awful for my taste buds to handle.

The Sprite Remix varieties (Tropical and Berry-flavored) were pretty good. It's just unfortunate they didn't keep those around enough.

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I don't think I'd mind trying Blue Pepsi again.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

Dr.Pepper is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember something called "Coca Cola Black" I think. It was coffee mixed with Coke. I thought it was okay, but everyone else I knew hated it.

I also remember a berry Dr Pepper. It tasted like children's Benadryl mixed with Dr Pepper. Blech.
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors

JShaggy is offline Happy People ClickPLAY! Rainbow Champion BioGems Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
    I remember something called "Coca Cola Black" I think. It was coffee mixed with Coke. I thought it was okay, but everyone else I knew hated it.
    It was spelled "Blaq", IIRC. Never really got around to trying it (not a big coffee person).

I also remember a berry Dr Pepper. It tasted like children's Benadryl mixed with Dr Pepper. Blech.
    You must mean the Berries & Cream version. I thought it was okay.

Red Fusion was decent, but it never really caught on in spite of all the hype it was given.

Lanmanna is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sprite Remix- Before I stopped drinking sodas, I loved Sprite. When they came out with new twist on Sprite, I loved them. I was sad to see them disappear.

Pepsi Blue- Never had it, but I know people loved it.

Aquadementia is offline Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what 7up Gold was supposed to taste like?
    I mean from tasting it.
    Going back for another sip was a combination of think I might be giving up too easy because it's new, and just wondering what the heck that funky flavor was.
    It was just w3ird.

New Coke wasn't bad. There just wasn't any reason for it.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't remember 7up gold, but I remember upside down 7up. "dnL" they called it. It was basically caffeinated regular with green food coloring.

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly, Pepsi Blue was just about the most horrible abomination I've ever had the displeasure of touching my taste buds. Glad it didn't last long.

Mountain Dew Pitch Black, on the other hand, was every bit as delicious as every other Mountain Dew flavor. Didn't care much for the sour sequel, though.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My dad bought my brother and I each a 1-liter bottle of Pepsi Blue. That stuff was terrible, I could barely take a sip. I remember loving Pepsi Twist though. I don't drink soda anymore so I wonder what kind of crazy drinks I'm missing these days...
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

J. B. Warner is offline Increasing my wordiness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pepsi Blue was like liquefied cotton candy. I couldn't stand it. It came out the same year as Vanilla Coke, and I vastly preferred that - it was practically all I drank in the summer of 2002, to the point of nostalgia. Heck, even now, the taste of it still evokes memories of my godfather's backyard barbecues and the trailer for Lilo and Stitch.
    I'm the man with two DeviantArts.

Daxdiv is offline Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember drinking Vanilla Coke and that stuff gave me a headache both times I drank it. First time I thought it was something else, but after the second time drinking it I assumed it was the drink so I never drank more of it.

I remember trying some of the gamer fuel Mountain Dew as well. I got to say that the stuff wasn't half bad and I don't even care much for regular Mountain Dew to begin with,

purplehairedwonder is online now No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Surge was my soda of choice as a kid. Ah, nostalgia.

I also remember getting Vanilla Coke at Waffle House before it went wide. Now I occasionally get a 12-pack of Vanilla Coke Zero--and use the vanilla flavoring at gas stations in my Diet Coke whenever possible.

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    LJ | FF.N | AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    At that time Pepsi was my life blood, and I tried Crystal Pepsi and it tasted like poison to me. I thought I was going to barf.

Another really bad one was the Raspberry flavored Pepsi. It tasted like they made it raspberry flavored by pouring raspberry flavored suntan oil in it.

Oh, wait, kids are reading this. Kids, before we knew the sun would kill us, we actually went out in the sun and tried to get tans. We would accelerate this process with special oils meant to bake you to a crispy brown. Not exactly the opposite of sunscreen because they helped protect against sunburn, too, but causing what we now call sun damage to your skin was the goal.

And they sold it with images like this, and sorta racist slogans like "Don't be a paleface!"

In our next lesson I will explain Jarts.
    Tell me the lesson, teacher. Also, at a restaurant near my neighborhood, there's a machine called Coke Freestyle, where they have Diet Cherry Vanilla Coke Zero. Anyone else have that or tasted it?

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved Vanilla Coke, it was definitely much better than I thought it was going to be. In fact, I just went to a restaurant last week that had it.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

BartWinkle is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Crystal Pepsi wasn't bad. Thought it tasted like cinnamon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast