Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Zach is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

I don't know. I personally detest social media (I'm damned close to deleting my Facebook account and I will never have a Twitter), but I'm also leaning more towards spending less time online altogether. I used to spend an inordinate amount of time on message boards, but I've changed a lot over the past few years and don't have much in common with most Internet folks these days.

I also cocooned myself away online and it did a lot of damage to my social skills. I was a social outcast in high school because I struggled to relate to my classmates, leading me to spend all my time online. That only exacerbated the problem, as I failed to learn how to talk to people. I'm only now overcoming this problem, but my self-confidence has never really recovered.

I don't mind places like Toonzone as long as I only check in every so often and have plenty of time to live my life outside of the computer.

Yojimbo is offline R.I.P. Mr. Harold Ramis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think message boards will ever go away, neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbro View Post
    I know I'm showing my age, but I truly prefer message boards to social media. On a board you can have a thoughtful, layered discussions with like minded individuals, as opposed to just Twittering your Facebooks where you mostly just get short, pithy comments like "Dat rocks!!111 Best show evah!!!!!1111" I'm not on any social media sites and don't plan to get on any; I hope boards don't die out because that's the medium that I prefer when it comes to online communication.
    I agree with you there. The atrocious comments I've seen on social media are off putting, in terms of their typing, shorthand, their 'thoughts' in general, the rudeness and so forth... excuse me I have some teenagers to chase off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    There are advantages to each major form of communication on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I certainly hope not as well. While I can see the advantages a Facebook and Twitter page have for immediate communication, I don't think that they can completely replace message boards.
    The primary advantage I see for these various social media companies are for people on production crews to update fans on the progress of the show/movie they work on or to well...create a PR disaster for companies and force them to make a quick decision/policy reversal.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: April 23, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I sure hope forums won't die. Especially this one, I've met some remarkable (and polite) people on this forum.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The advantage message boards have over social media is that you can pick and choose which conversations you participate it, which cant really be done over facebook, and definitely not over twitter.

Cyberville Outcast is offline The Busiest Lazy Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think it's even possible for message boards to die out in my opinion. I hope I'm right, because I really enjoy putting thought into my posts, most particularly here on toonzone. It's MUCH better than posting on youtube and facebook where so many commenters wear their nostalgia glasses WAY too tightly and type "lolz cartoons/movies after 1999 suckz becuz of CGI" or "EVERYTHING SUCKS TODAY BECAUSE OF *fill in the blank with near-recent date*", having very little wit when typing in the comment section.

Another thing I'd like to mention about this forum in particular is that it's not too wild here, thankfully. I've been to other forums like DVDizzy especially and from what I've seen, an argument starts, even if unrelated, it can go on for pages. I got involved in one unwillingly after getting an insensitive response from some commenter (Apparently it's a Dutch trait to be blunt and it seems he expected me to somehow know this already, I'm pretty sure lots of other people don't know it either and I personally make sure my comments as least confrontational as possible, unless someone deserves it. Different cultures I guess, anyway.....). Luckily, the argument was capped within one page, but then there was another argument afterwards about Asperger's syndrome or something (and this thread was originally about wanting Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to end!!). The moderators there sure aren't doing their job, or maybe there aren't any at all? Anyway, toonzone is my ideal message board, a forum where I'm able to put thought into my posts/opinions without risking a full blown flame war.
    Last edited by Cyberville Outcast; 03-19-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    From entertainment to animation to life, I talk about anything here:

http://cybervillesanctuary.blogspot.com/

Zorak Masaki is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Remember, in the late 90s/early 2000s, usenet and blogs were hyped as the replacement for message boards. Now, while blogs are still somewhat popular, theyre nowhere near as popular as they were, and most ISPs no longer carry usenet.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    THe problem with message boards is that they are not mobile friendly. Though many have mobile templates, they are ackward to use (I'm guessing). And you can't text your repsonses. Social media is very media friendly. And as the world moves toward a mostly mobile computing environmnt the system that are the most mobile-friendly will win out.

I wonder how many of you use TZ with your phone / tablet?

Message boards will not go away comepletely, but their importance will be diminished.
    ToonRadio.net 24/7 Online Animation Radio Station

The Kool Kids Klub Animation Podcast

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meson View Post
    THe problem with message boards is that they are not mobile friendly. Though many have mobile templates, they are ackward to use (I'm guessing). And you can't text your repsonses. Social media is very media friendly. And as the world moves toward a mostly mobile computing environmnt the system that are the most mobile-friendly will win out.

I wonder how many of you use TZ with your phone / tablet?

Message boards will not go away comepletely, but their importance will be diminished.
    A lot of the time I do, and I think the iPhone TZ app is pretty good for mobile.

spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I use the TZ app quite a bit. I'd rather post on message boards on a portable device rather than on my crappy virus filled Windows computer. In fact, almost all my posts came from my iPod.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've only skimmed through the thread, so I don't know if anyone's pointed this out, but social networks do an incredibly poor job at providing an archive of your activities. Have any of you guys tried to dig up a Tweet from a few months ago? It's an incredibly aggravating experience. The same goes for Facebook wall posts (though timeline has eased this a bit) which means they're actively against building long term discussions. Once something is off the top of the page don't expect to ever see it again.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think so. I know many boards that are booming with Activity and many members.

Even some icelandic boards, like Live2Cruize or KvartmÝluspjalli­ for example, Iceland is a really small country, yet there are boards with some activity, some are nearly dead though. :/ I'm on one of those, FornbÝlaspjalli­, I'd say I'm the most active member

The only forums with activity here in Iceland are car forums though, and I'm part of them all ofcourse. :3

I've been on forums since 2006 and I hope they will never become obsolete, I doubt they will though.
    Last edited by NZ Storm-petrel; 04-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    IJ130: 2003 - 2012
    G2129: 1987 - 2003
    ----------------------------
    LF378: 1998 - 2006
    A250: 1987 - 1998

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2