Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
    wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins
    Well, this is interesting. Looks like Obama is the first president since the Great Depression to oversee a significant decrease in illegal Mexican immigration. Of course the Great Recession was a big part of that, but there have been more overall deportations as well, and a greater focus on deporting criminals.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/2...-perhaps-less/

Now, it's arguable how much Obama had to do with this, and some of have accused the administration of "cooking the books" by counting people apprehended , briefly held in the US, and kicked out right after a border crossing as a deportation. But the simple fact that this problem is decreasing really takes one of the Republicans' favorite foam at the mouth points off the table. Where will they be without "They took our jerbs?" And how will Lou Dobbs continue to justify his existence?
    Yeah, what I heard (from the brief news clip on the radio) was that the number of illegal immigrants moving to the U.S. has dropped to equal the number of illegal immigrants leaving the U.S....so that's new.

But Republicans can still rally around it because this still doesn't solve the problem. And no, I'm not going to go full blown into discussing illegal immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane Dumas
    Maybe it's far-fetched taught but I think then Paul might be like a farmer or a gardener planting some seeds who'll grow over the days or like someone paving the way for his successor.
    An excellent point: Ron Paul's age makes it more likely that it'll be up to a successor to carry on his movement. So unless there IS a strong (and young) successor, Paul may be starting a movement, but in 10 years where will they be? Look at Ross Perot before him: Perot in 1992 ended up creating the Reform Party, by 2002, their platform was pretty much dead. The strongest candidate to ever come out of the Reform Party was Jesse Ventura being Governor of Minnesota. You'll notice the party collapsed shortly after that.

Even if Ron Paul's segment doesn't split off from the Republicans into it's own party, if they're trying to start a faction akin to the Tea Party faction of the Republican party, I think in a few years, they will barely be a blip on the radar (more akin to the Log Cabin Republicans, than to the Tea Party).

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So there is now much ado about an Obama campaign web video marking the 1 year anniversary of the operation that managed to bring down Osama Bin Laden (The Hill reports here, if you need a primer). Two things about it have drawn considerable attention: positive comments about the decision from President Clinton and the fact that it questions whether Romney would have made the same call.

As a communication tactic, the video is already successful. The thing with web videos is that they cost nothing to make and are effective not because there are tons of people are scouring the internet for this stuff, but because media will reliably report on one and thereby spread the message around if it has the right hook. This ad included an attack on Romney, got noticed, and then Romney's people responded because you kind of have to. And however it goes people get reminded that we got Osama a year ago; the controversy taking place after the fact is secondary.

That said, let there be no doubt, that attack was pure hackish politics. In my opinion it also won't actually do much good in the long run, as just about everybody approves of the fact that we got him. But none of that alters or mitigates the problems on the domestic front, and nobody's going to fundamentally alter this into an election about something other than that. Only events will do that, and drastic ones at that. A what-if accusation like this just doesn't have much mileage.

But let's get back to the lameness and unfairness of this. First off, some ask (rhetorically) whether Obama is entitled to "spike the football", as it were. The answer is YES. It was a gutsy call, based on intelligence that was circumstantial but still the best we'd ever had since 2001, according to then-CIA Director Leon Panetta, who according to Joe Biden was the only person in the room decisively for it. Everyone else "hedged their bet", the experienced Biden told the President not to give the order. The operation was, admittedly, risky. He did it anyway and put a massive exclamation point on America's years-long effort to cripple Al Qaeda across the world. Well done. Yeah, you score a victory like that, you get to bask in your glory a bit.

But celebrating victory is one thing, using it as a blunt instrument against Romney is another. Nobody knows what he or anybody else would do in that situation with the intelligence presented. You don't know until the time comes. The Obama team bases the insinuation on a 2007 quote where Romney said "It's not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person." But a few days later he added "We'll move everything to get him. But I don't want to buy into the Democratic pitch that this is all about one person. ... It's more than Usama bin Laden. But he is going to pay, and he will die." Even the original quote is correct, Al Qaeda & terrorist movements are bigger than any one leader. The damage we did and do to Al Qaeda before & after his demise matters. Both the Bush and Obama administrations have not seen success against terrorism in such narrow terms. And it doesn't even follow from the cited quote that, given the best opportunity in years, you don't seize it.

Moreover, it really is a bit much to see Joe Biden acting as an attack dog on the point - this from the man who publicly admitted that he advised the President not to go?! If this political attack were seriously based on the idea Romney's not qualified to lead and make big decisions, then logically Biden shouldn't be VP anymore. Never mind the unfortunate implications toward the rest of the Obama cabinet. At least Biden had a clearly defined opinion to offer.

Of course, as said, it's not really all that serious. In contrast, Obama certainly could have used this to buttress his stature as commander in chief all the way through November. He could've gone for running as a proven & strong leader against an out-of-touch CEO, & that would have been in touch with the sort of person he likes people to see him as. But no, instead the campaign goes for the divisive cheap shot that will win a news cycle or two. He deserved to play the card. It's a shame he's doing it badly.

Now watch as the approval ratings barely shift in the coming weeks.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, I agree, it's disappointing that they didn't pick a classier way of making the same point.

It's a little late, but here's the video from Obama's White House Correspondents Dinner performance. It's hilarious, especially all the dog eating jokes. Being able to poke fun at yourself and use your enemies' ridiculous accusations against them is a major asset. There's also no question Obama is winning on the charm offensive, they're already doing ads criticizing him for being too "cool," but those will backfire like last time because they only reinforce how cool he is.

Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

stephane dumas is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For the dog eating jokes, I saw on Youtube a parody of Hall'N'Oates hit "Man eater" titled "Dog eater" as well a parody clip from the movie "Downfall" well known for its countless parodies clips.

Btw, when Gingrich will retire, it could be interesting to see where the delegates will go.

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephane dumas View Post
    For the dog eating jokes, I saw on Youtube a parody of Hall'N'Oates hit "Man eater" titled "Dog eater" as well a parody clip from the movie "Downfall" well known for its countless parodies clips.

Btw, when Gingrich will retire, it could be interesting to see where the delegates will go.
    They'll go to Romney. They won't go to Paul, if that's what you're thinking.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, Newt officially got out of the race. So now, that leaves Romney and Ron Paul. Yep, the GOP race is over now.

Also, Obama will officially kick off his reelection this Saturday with a rally at Virginia Commonwealth University(a college I almost went to). So, the general election more or less "officially" starts next week.

stephane dumas is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like it's official, Gary Johnson is now officially the LP presidential nominee.
    http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpps/new...20505_19711153

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson is campaigning to win the White House as a Libertarian after receiving scant attention in the Republican presidential race.

Johnson easily became the party's presidential nominee at the Libertarian national convention in Las Vegas on Saturday. He hopes to appeal to voters fed up with the traditional two-party system this November.
    Johnson was a longshot candidate for the Republican presidential nomination when he announced in December that he would instead pursue the Libertarian ticket.

Jacob is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm reading the last chapter of my US History book in preparation for the AP exam this week. And poor Newt Gingrich, for such a lover of history, history does not have a very glowing account of him. He's only mentioned a few times, among them:

"outspoken Georgia representative"... "overplayed conservative mandate" ... "advocated provocative ideas like sending the children of welfare families to orphanages" ... "forced to resign"

Nothing about a conservative revolutionary in there. I guess Newt's quest to make history as America's greatest president ever will never be realized, with his drop out and pitiful $4 million campaign debt this week.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob2037 View Post
    I'm reading the last chapter of my US History book in preparation for the AP exam this week. And poor Newt Gingrich, for such a lover of history, history does not have a very glowing account of him. He's only mentioned a few times, among them:

"outspoken Georgia representative"... "overplayed conservative mandate" ... "advocated provocative ideas like sending the children of welfare families to orphanages" ... "forced to resign"

Nothing about a conservative revolutionary in there.
    Well that's because it's another piece of liberal indoctrination coming out of our school system.

A more serious answer is probably that those history books tend to focus more on the actions of the Presidents throughout history more than members of Congress (unless it's McCarthy). Also, it's a bit too soon still to be putting the 90's into historical perspective.

The Toonzone Channel! (The Ultimate Fantasy Schedule List thread)!

And check out the Fun and Games forum for other current games threads!

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    Well that's because it's another piece of liberal indoctrination coming out of our school system.
    We all know truth has a liberal bias .

Anyway the GOP has put out a new roll call attacking Obama on the economy and actually had the hypocrisy to outsource it to Venezuela.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2012...mittee_21.html
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." “Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.”