Page 34 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Why do politicians who are trying to win in the South always pretend to like grits?

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ma-primaries/1

I'm from the South, and I don't like grits. Lots of people don't like grits. It's a bit of an acquired taste. It's coarse corn porridge for crying out loud, that's something that takes a bit of getting used to. I'm sorry, but it's pretty damn suspicious and pandering for some Yankee politician to come down here, try 'em once and go "Oh boy, that's for me. I am southern now."
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My last post was to express my misgivings on the topic, not to shut it down completely now that it's been brought up. You all are free to respond to this post, but I will not respond back any farther (and I hope you'll all move on eventually to other topics related to this election).

Anyway, in the interest of full disclosure (and to get one more woman's point of view), it should be noted that my wife works at a local Catholic Hospital here in town. She's heard rumblings from the administration that they'd rather close down than be forced to comply with this new ruling from the Obama Administration. Maybe that's all bluster, but she works around enough Catholics (from administrators to nuns) to know there is fervent opposition to it. And no, my wife and I are Baptist, not Catholic.

And besides that, when I asked my wife her thoughts on the debate, she sided with those opposed to the Obama Administration. Her comments were very similar to the opinion piece of a local pastor in the local paper (not our pastor, but one who lives here in town):

I would like to point out where their logic has led us.

It’s led us to cheap sex. Sex without consequences is also sex without meaning. Sex is supposed to lead to intimate emotional bonding, relational stability, and family. When it is abused, it leads to broken relationships, fatherless children, emotional scarring, and moral callousness. What counselor cannot attest to the devastation of the abuse and misuse of sex?

It has led to the devaluation of children and family. Some people value their boats more than their children. Some view children as an impediment to achieving their financial goals. Some pawn them off from birth onto others to raise.

It has led to the death of manhood. Dogs can have sex. Men raise children and take care of their families. But when expectations dictate that women are responsible for not getting pregnant, boys are given free passes to act like dogs.

It has led to the death of modesty. From toddlers with tiaras to 13-year-old girls in bikinis at local car washes, we train young women to be objects of lust.

It has led us to abandon responsibility and accountability. We understand that all health care providers should cover cancer, because cancer is a disease that attacks its victims. But to cover reproduction? Sex is a choice, not a disease. Isn’t removing the consequences of behavior a prescription for a generation of self-absorbed, entitled people who don’t take responsibility for their actions?

Absolutely.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Why do politicians who are trying to win in the South always pretend to like grits?

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ma-primaries/1

I'm from the South, and I don't like grits. Lots of people don't like grits. It's a bit of an acquired taste. It's coarse corn porridge for crying out loud, that's something that takes a bit of getting used to. I'm sorry, but it's pretty damn suspicious and pandering for some Yankee politician to come down here, try 'em once and go "Oh boy, that's for me. I am southern now."
    I too am from the south and don't care for grits all that much. We don't need some ridiculous yankee trying to say he likes them to appease to us like we're all backwards hicks.

I really do hate moments like these where someone (it doesn't matter who they are) has that awkward moment where they have to prove "they're just like you" by trying to take part in the local culture somehow. It comes off as disingenuous at best and downright forced and embarassing at the worst. Do something because you want to, not to make a connection where there is none.

Oh and the Department of Labor released the new unemployment statistics for February. They've remained the same.
    Last edited by Matt Hazuda; 03-10-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's damned if you do and damned if you don't. If Romney doesn't try to relate at all everyone will say that he's some rich outsider who doesn't understand the average American. If Romney tries and fails, people will STILL say he's some rich outsider who doesn't understand the average American.

Let's face it, Romney is some rich guy who doesn't understand the average American. He understands the business world, however. He should stop his half-hearted attempts to relate and start talking about how his knowledge of business will help the economy.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Romney won the highly important caucuses in Guam and the Commonweath of the Northern Marianas Islands today.

Mitt Romney won the Republican caucus in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands today, picking up nine delegates.

Romney won 87 percent or 740 of the 848 votes cast in the main islands of Saipan, Tinian and Rota as the former Massachusetts governor seeks more secure footing as the front-runner in the race to become the GOP's nominee for U.S. president.
    Romney's victory comes after an endorsement by Gov. Benigno R. Fitial on the eve of the caucus. Fitial, who also is chairman of the commonwealth's Republican Party, said he and the eight other delegates will support Romney at the Republican National Convention in Florida in August.
    Romney's son Matt and wife Laurie campaigned for him in Saipan. Rarely, if ever, has any presidential campaign team made a stop in the U.S. territory.
    So a family vacation to an island paradise seems to have paid off well it seems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't want to double-post, but I figure this deserves a bump.

Santorum wins the Kansas caucus and currently has a rather large majority according to current polls.

40 delegates are at stake in Kansas. Three delegates go to the candidate who receives the most state wide votes. Three delegates will also be awarded to the top vote-getter in each of the state's four congressional districts.

The remaining 25 delegates will be split proportionally among the presidential hopefuls. But a candidate will qualify for them only if he receives more than 20 percent of the vote statewide.
    Now I'm not sure what will happen considering no one outside Santorum has 20% or greater, so I think that means he'd win all 40.

Jacob is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, kansas is one Gingrich thought he would win, too. This puts Santorum in a good position to upset Gingrich in Alabama and Mississippi on Tuesday. I think a united conservative vote is something Romney really has to be afraid of, even this late in the race.

Romney did, however, win Guam, Wyoming (Mormons), and the Mariana Islands (never heard of them).

I actually like grits, by the way.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Romney and Gingrich did not campaign in Kansas. Santorum's only real competitor there was Paul.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/10/electi...campaign-wrap/
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The GOP is driving away female voters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/us...agewanted=1&hp

“Everybody is so busy telling us how we should act in the bedroom, they’re letting the country fall through the cracks,” said Fran Kelley, a retired public school worker in Seattle who voted for Senator John McCain over Mr. Obama in the 2008 election. Of the Republican candidates this year, she added, “They’re nothing but hatemongers trying to control everyone, saying, ‘Live as I live.’ ”

She continued, “If Republicans would stop all this ridiculous talk about contraception, I’d consider voting in November.”

From 1992 to 2008, Democrats won the overall women’s vote in every presidential election.
    But in the 2010 midterm election, women swung to the Republicans. Now there are signs of another shift: in a New York Times/CBS News poll last month, the president finished ahead of Mr. Romney among all women by 57 percent to 37 percent. He held much the same advantage over Mr. Santorum.

And:
    Even more than Mr. Romney, Mr. Santorum has made himself a champion of the traditional family with two parents, arguing in speeches that single motherhood increases a child’s chances of poverty and related problems.

The stance particularly vexes Meredith Warren, a Republican strategist in Andover, Mass. “Well, guess what?” she said. “There are a lot of single moms out there. That’s reality. I don’t think he does himself any favors denigrating that situation.”

And:

Deborah R. Stevens, a self-described “dyed in the wool” Republican, said she felt hopeless.
    “I’m looking for a candidate that will be honest, that will come out and say, ‘Yes, I support women, I want you advanced and not trampled upon,’ ” said Ms. Stevens, 63, who lives near Myrtle Beach, S.C. “I want answers desperately. I want candidates to tell me, ‘I’m not overturning Roe v. Wade.’ It’s there. Leave it there.”

Ms. Russell, who changed her political views at the baby shower, said she was impressed with how Mr. Obama handled his administration’s compromise over the much-debated birth control policy, saying, “I think he’s more of a women’s candidate.”

So, where are they going?

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-gains-wo...204133448.html

"Republicans are making a big mistake with this contraception talk, and I'm pretty sure that they are giving (the election) to Obama," says Patricia Speyerer, 87, of McComb, Miss., a GOP-leaning independent. "It's a stupid thing."

I'm very humble, too.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So yeah, we've got a couple of primaries today underway right now.

I keep hearing talk of "3 way ties", which simply means that Gingrich and Santorum are splitting the evangelical vote. If Gingrich doesn't do well today though, that may be the final straw for his campaign. The same could be said for Ron Paul, but Ron Paul's just not going to go away...

From that article I linked to, here's the latest delegate count:

Romney has more delegates than his rivals combined, and is amassing them at a rate that puts him on track to clinch control of the nomination before the convention opens in the summer, a prospect that his rivals prefer not to dwell on. AP's tally shows him with 454 of the 1,144 delegates needed to win the nomination, Santorum with 217, Gingrich with 107 and Ron Paul with 47.