Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
    spartanx54 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I am reading The Hunger Games. I heard it was excellent, so why not. Also, the movie came out and I want to read the book before I see the movie.
    ​"Anyone can be a hero, even a man who did something so simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders, to let him know the world hadn't ended."- Bruce Wayne/Batman

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I just finished reading the two Codename Sailor V volumes for fun. They weren't as good as the two Sailor Moon volumes I read a few months ago, but I had already read some reviews on the first volume, so I was prepared for that. They were still pretty enjoyable. In both volumes, the first few chapters were pretty repetitive, especially in the first volume, but the last three or four chapters ended the volume on a stronger note. Minako was a more annoying lead character than Usagi, but it might help that I got tired of her constantly falling in love with someone or worshiping an idol in every chapter. Even so, it was nice to read something for fun after reading those different books for my classes in the last couple of months and it was kind of interesting to see how this series basically set the foundation for Sailor Moon.

EroSennin is online now The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't updated my reading list in a while but I finished books 5-7 of Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series and I have to say I was heavily disappointed with them. I thought the first 4 books got better and better peaking in book 4 and then just nose dived for me. Especially the last chapter of the book. You know its bad when the the author actually writes in the book that you should probably not read the last chapter and only continue if you want to be pissed off.

The whole story though just got worse and worse for me in the last 3 books. I didn't mind
    Spoiler:
    Kings characters from other books like Father Callahan and Randell Flagg making appearances in the series but the whole breaking the 4th wall with having King himself a character in the book just didn't do it for me. Some how hes the only real person in this story and he needs to write these books where his characters save the world and all worlds including his but first his fictional characters have to save his life so he can finish the books. UGH! Its just a mess and that wasn't my only problem with the books. The Dark Tower which is the final book was soooo bad in so many ways. The whole message on the toilet paper from King to Susannah, the introduction of a character half way through the book who can magically draw anything to life and then erase it from existence including the Crimson King, Mordreds death and then we have Roland finally reach the Dark Tower to find that each floor is his own memories and when he reaches the top he's sent back to the desert following Walter because years before he didn't pick up a stupid horn that Cuthbert dropped when he died. Speaking of Cuthbert thats another thing I didn't like. The story of Cuthberts and Allens deaths took up only like 3 pages after all the times they were mentioned but Susans death got 3/4 a book.

Well after finishing those I needed a break from scifi/fantasy which is all I've read the past year so I picked up The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which my sister had been recommending me to read for months. I read 90 pages the first night and around 80 the second and was utterly bored with it. It just dragged on in the beginning but the 3rd night it finally got good and ended up reading 200 pages and finished the last 160 pages the 4th night. I must say I really enjoyed it and I'm not much for mystery/suspense novels but I'm gonna read the next two books which are hopefully as good or better.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." “Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.”

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After a recommendation from Juu, I picked up Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking from the library today.

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast: Avatar: The Last Airbender

EroSennin is online now The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I've been reading a lot lately and read another 3 books these past 2 weeks. First I finished the last 2 books of the Millennium Trilogy with The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I really liked these but they were more like 2 parts of a book then 2 separate books.I really like the character of Lisbeth Salander, shes a brilliant, socially awkward badass who has a strict moral code and you had better not cross her. Its a shame the author died. From what I've read he planned 10 books and was writing the 4th when he died and unfortunately it looks like the fourth won't be released anytime soon because theres a fight between his heirs and his longtime partner.

I also read The Princess of Mars which is the first book in the John Carter series. It was just an ok book. The story was too simple for me and really didn't have much depth. It was pretty much go here, win a fight and respect, go here win fight and respect, etc etc. I don't think I'll finish the series yet as I'm probably gonna start the Enders series which the Toonzone Reading group just happens to be starting too.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." “Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am reading the hunger games and coincidently a movie came out. I am at the part where the first day of the games has ended. The first 11 tributes are dead.

I am also reading naruto I have gotten to part 3: war.
    I'm at the part where it's Kakashi vs zabuzza and haku.

Urusei Yatsura is offline The Revolutionist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I just finished rereading all 7 Harry Potter books the other day. It was a great experience..I started about two months ago.
    Codε Gεαss Gurren Lagann Kanon Utena
    Ηαrυhi A∨αταr Clαnnαd K-ON!
    Lυcky Stαr

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I read Pokemon Adventures Diamond, Pearl and Platinum volume 5 earlier this week. It was a pretty fun read and probably my favorite of the D/P/Pl arc thus far. It felt more interesting to see the plot moving beyond the Platinum's Gym badge quest and it's interesting to see that the three main characters are traveling alone for awhile. The way they learned about Team Galactic's actions felt kind of contrived, but it helps that aside from Cyrus, none of the members of Team Galactic are terribly smart. It also helps that this volume contain Riley's Lucario battling and an adorable baby Riolu being born. Both of those moments were wonderful for me.

I also finished reading Yu-Gi-Oh! volumes one through seven. I've been meaning to collect more Yu-Gi-Oh! manga beyond the spin-off titles for awhile, so I started with the original series. I remember reading quite a few chapters in my older brother's SJ issues that he used to get in the mail, but I haven't read most of these chapters since then. The first volume was okay, but I thought it became more interesting in the other volumes, especially in the Death-T arc. I could have done without Johji being included in that arc, but I forgot about him as the arc progressed. It was really fun to read all of the first seven volumes. The different arcs were pretty engaging and interesting to read and it was nice to see where the franchise started again.

Neo Yi is offline Looking Good, Link!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I also finished reading Yu-Gi-Oh! volumes one through seven. I've been meaning to collect more Yu-Gi-Oh! manga beyond the spin-off titles for awhile, so I started with the original series. I remember reading quite a few chapters in my older brother's SJ issues that he used to get in the mail, but I haven't read most of these chapters since then. The first volume was okay, but I thought it became more interesting in the other volumes, especially in the Death-T arc. I could have done without Johji being included in that arc, but I forgot about him as the arc progressed. It was really fun to read all of the first seven volumes. The different arcs were pretty engaging and interesting to read and it was nice to see where the franchise started again.
    I adore the heck out of the first seven volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh manga and I regard them better than the latter series (well, at least the anime; I actually never read the latter manga series outside of a couple of random volumes here and there) once the card game took over. I know, blasmphemy, but I personally like it for the better, deeper focus on the main characters. I also enjoy the varied games the hero usually plays; the diversity usually makes for some pretty clever stuff for Yugi's other half to utililze.

That said, wrapped up Neverwhere recently. Excellent book with twists I should have seen coming, but totally did not.
    My DeviantART/My Twitter/My Tumblr
    Stuff of Opinions:
    15 Game Meme: Day 2. Heavenly Staaaaar! It's Child of Eden!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Yi View Post
    I adore the heck out of the first seven volumes of the Yu-Gi-Oh manga and I regard them better than the latter series (well, at least the anime; I actually never read the latter manga series outside of a couple of random volumes here and there) once the card game took over. I know, blasmphemy, but I personally like it for the better, deeper focus on the main characters. I also enjoy the varied games the hero usually plays; the diversity usually makes for some pretty clever stuff for Yugi's other half to utililze.
    I've actually heard of quite a few people preferring how the series was in the first seven volumes before the card game took center focus, so I don't think that's an unheard of or even unpopular opinion. I've only read a handful of the Duelist volumes, mostly from the Battle City arc, and a couple of the Memory World arc, so I don't know which one has the deeper focus on the main characters. I liked how the games were more creative and at times darker than the duels were most of the time. The different games also allowed for both Yugi and his other self to how good they are with thinking strategically and how they respond to a variety of games. I think that the theme of friendship was clearer in those volumes. I also forgot how creepy Kaiba originally was in the Death-T arc. While I like what I've read of Duelist, after finishing volume seven, I kind of felt sad knowing that the series would be different. It was just so much fun and the different arcs were pretty engaging. After reading the first seven volumes, it does make me wonder how different the series would have turned out if it didn't become focus on the card game. It probably wouldn't have been as popular, but I could see the ending being pretty similar to what eventually happened with Yugi and his other self. I can definitely understand why people would consider those first seven volumes to be better than the rest of the series.