Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1680
  1. #1661
    SilentBat18's Avatar
    SilentBat18 is offline Hmm, so, yeah
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    1,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

    Glad you got your power back. I empathize with your misery so much so that if your power wasnt restored tonight, i would have extended an offer for you to crash on my couch under the ceiling fan and ac going on full blast. Hmm I wonder if tz-ers could actually come together this way in cases of emergency/extreme discomfort/on the verge of melting like the witch drenched in water.
    Ah, the new boy. Ears are too long, and I miss the cape, but not too shabby, not too shabby at all-- Joker, BB:ROTJ

    BB: A New Beginning

  2. #1662
    Silverstar's Avatar
    Silverstar is offline Sub-Genius
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cartoonland
    Posts
    13,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBat18 View Post
    Glad you got your power back. I empathize with your misery so much so that if your power wasnt restored tonight, i would have extended an offer for you to crash on my couch under the ceiling fan and ac going on full blast. Hmm I wonder if tz-ers could actually come together this way in cases of emergency/extreme discomfort/on the verge of melting like the witch drenched in water.
    I'm glad to hear your power is back as well, and hopefully your freezer has kicked in enough by this time so you can put that ankle on ice.

    As much as I'm enjoying being back on the grid, my happiness is a little bittersweet, though: there are still 2 million people on the East Coast without power and the tempuratures are only going to climb from today. Here in Maryland our main power company (BGE) is claiming that repairs are expected to extend well into this weekend before they're done. I've told the people I know who are still out that they're welcome to crash at our place as long as we have power, since I wouldn't wish the weekend that I and my family went trough on my worst enemy. (Though it would admittedly be an extremely effective way of wringing demands or information out of someone: "Tell us what we want to know or you'll never see your air conditioner again!")
    Got a minute? Check out The Twin Factor, the Star Twins' blog for crazy opinions on cartoons and geek culture. New name. New address. Same geekiness.

  3. #1663
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We're dying here, since the ninety degree heat is causing the power company to throttle everyone's air conditioning.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

  4. #1664
    SilentBat18's Avatar
    SilentBat18 is offline Hmm, so, yeah
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    1,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie
    We're dying here, since the ninety degree heat is causing the power company to throttle everyone's air conditioning.
    Total suckage. Do you have anywhere else to stay?
    Ah, the new boy. Ears are too long, and I miss the cape, but not too shabby, not too shabby at all-- Joker, BB:ROTJ

    BB: A New Beginning

  5. #1665
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's not that bad, since I've been spending little time at home this week (between work, driving around, shopping) and can mooch from all the businesses that still have AC. Although, I can tell you if I still lived at my old house, it would be much worse. That one had no central, and the wiring was not able to handle plug in window AC. Having a third floor bedroom does bite, though.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

  6. #1666
    Jave's Avatar
    Jave is offline So Smashing... In Space! Magma Champion Robots and Aliens: Reactor Twist 3D Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    10,935
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My recent online purchase:

    If you're a Simpsons fan, then this deal is just too awesome to pass up. Heck, even if you just casually watch the show I say it's worth it. Didn't hesitate even once when I bought it.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

    What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

  7. #1667
    GatorMan92's Avatar
    GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting experience when I was at the mall today:

    I was at FYE, looking through the animated shows, shorts, and movies they had to offer. I picked up a few US releases, then made my way to the anime section of the store. I looked through what they had to offer, but found nothing of interest, and decided to move on. Apparently, an anime fan that was inches from me didn't take too kindly to my actions, and started making comments about it, acting as if I was an uneducated dolt, unaware that the Japanese are the "undisputed masters" of animation as he put it. But after putting this person in his place, he stormed out of the store, and that was that.

    I bring this up because it makes me ask, and I'm aware that it may just be an experience that varies from person to person, this question: Why is it that when it comes to fans of animation and how passionate they get about the medium, it seems that anime fans are the ones on the ever-growing high horses?

  8. #1668
    Raguoc's Avatar
    Raguoc is offline Gettin' Motivational
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    551
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorMan92 View Post
    Interesting experience when I was at the mall today:

    I was at FYE, looking through the animated shows, shorts, and movies they had to offer. I picked up a few US releases, then made my way to the anime section of the store. I looked through what they had to offer, but found nothing of interest, and decided to move on. Apparently, an anime fan that was inches from me didn't take too kindly to my actions, and started making comments about it, acting as if I was an uneducated dolt, unaware that the Japanese are the "undisputed masters" of animation as he put it. But after putting this person in his place, he stormed out of the store, and that was that.

    I bring this up because it makes me ask, and I'm aware that it may just be an experience that varies from person to person, this question: Why is it that when it comes to fans of animation and how passionate they get about the medium, it seems that anime fans are the ones on the ever-growing high horses?
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Some anime fans are unfortunately very condescending and do, as you say, get on their high horses. I guess he got so high and mighty because most people consider western animation to be kiddy and stupid. If I ever meet that guy, I'll kick him between the legs for the both of us.

  9. #1669
    Shawn Hopkins's Avatar
    Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Winner's Circle
    Posts
    14,608
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorMan92 View Post
    Interesting experience when I was at the mall today:

    I was at FYE, looking through the animated shows, shorts, and movies they had to offer. I picked up a few US releases, then made my way to the anime section of the store. I looked through what they had to offer, but found nothing of interest, and decided to move on. Apparently, an anime fan that was inches from me didn't take too kindly to my actions, and started making comments about it, acting as if I was an uneducated dolt, unaware that the Japanese are the "undisputed masters" of animation as he put it. But after putting this person in his place, he stormed out of the store, and that was that.

    I bring this up because it makes me ask, and I'm aware that it may just be an experience that varies from person to person, this question: Why is it that when it comes to fans of animation and how passionate they get about the medium, it seems that anime fans are the ones on the ever-growing high horses?
    A few anime fans like anime primarily because they consider it to be more mature and somehow superior to western animation, thus making themselves somehow superior because they watch it. The purpose it serves in their lives is an ego boost. That's just one small subset, though, most anime fans are not like that and most realize it's all just cartoons in the end.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

    I'm very humble, too.

  10. #1670
    GatorMan92's Avatar
    GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raguoc View Post
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Some anime fans are unfortunately very condescending and do, as you say, get on their high horses. I guess he got so high and mighty because most people consider western animation to be kiddy and stupid. If I ever meet that guy, I'll kick him between the legs for the both of us.
    Make sure you wear steel toe boots if you do

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    A few anime fans like anime primarily because they consider it to be more mature and somehow superior to western animation, thus making themselves somehow superior because they watch it. The purpose it serves in their lives is an ego boost. That's just one small subset, though, most anime fans are not like that and most realize it's all just cartoons in the end.


    I know, but it seems I'm a magnet for the obnoxious anime fans, because this isn't the first time this has happened, and God knows it won't be the last. (On a minor note, you saying the annoying ones watch it primarily just to feel good about themselves, it makes me think they're animation's equivalent of the hipster for some reason. XD)

  11. #1671
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Remember when people used to say that laptops were for only smart people or businessmen? Anime hasn't quite hit the level of acceptance in the US to make the obnoxious people go away.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

  12. #1672
    Shawn Hopkins's Avatar
    Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Winner's Circle
    Posts
    14,608
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorMan92

    Make sure you wear steel toe boots if you do



    I know, but it seems I'm a magnet for the obnoxious anime fans, because this isn't the first time this has happened, and God knows it won't be the last. (On a minor note, you saying the annoying ones watch it primarily just to feel good about themselves, it makes me think they're animation's equivalent of the hipster for some reason. XD)
    Yeah, I think obnoxious self-proclaimed Otaku and hipster are pretty close cousins. Both are doing it mainly for appearances and ego, not because it's something they love.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

    I'm very humble, too.

  13. #1673
    GatorMan92's Avatar
    GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    Remember when people used to say that laptops were for only smart people or businessmen? Anime hasn't quite hit the level of acceptance in the US to make the obnoxious people go away.
    And as much as I'd love to see anime get more respect here, I've accepted the fact it's probably never going to happen.

  14. #1674
    The Old Maid is offline Voice in the wilderness
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Recovering from an operation.

    My church brought me ice cream.
    Sponsor a child | Upper Room | "World's Finest" Bat-essays | Wertham's Ghost | Genealogy of Jesus |

    My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind Left Behind and random reviews of other stuff

  15. #1675
    Jacob is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, and I was eating Chick Fil-A just as I read this.

    I'm not totally surprised, since I'd heard the rumors before. But I'm surprised they would be so blunt about their dislike of all non-traditional families. Not the best marketing decision, eh?

    Of course, America loves fast food so much that even if people are offended by this they won't stop eating at Chick Fil-A. Chick Fil-A is actually one of the few places I go for fast food, and although I probably won't stop going there completely I will try not to go as often. Homophobic chicken is still a lot tastier than the pink slime at McDonald's. And ooh their fries are so good.


  16. #1676
    Urusei Yatsura's Avatar
    Urusei Yatsura is offline The Revolutionist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Getting 4 wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow. Well at least it's during the summer so I don't have to go to school with swollen cheeks haha
    Codε Gεαss Gurren Lagann Kanon Utena
    Ηαrυhi A∨αταr Clαnnαd K-ON!
    Lυcky Stαr

  17. #1677
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've decided to finally get off my duff and complete my Pokemon card collection. To spice it up, though, I'm going by booster packs instead of buying the individual cards I'm missing. Sure I may spend more money this way, but it's more fun.

    That and I still refuse to drop all that money on a Charizard card.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

  18. #1678
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A new used book store opened up in our mall, and by sheer luck, I found volume 6 of Monster. It's going for over 4 times the prices of the other volumes, so you can imagine how happy I was to snap it up for 4 dollars.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

  19. #1679
    Gold Guy's Avatar
    Gold Guy is online now This ain't Pokemon!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,117
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    A new used book store opened up in our mall, and by sheer luck, I found volume 6 of Monster. It's going for over 4 times the prices of the other volumes, so you can imagine how happy I was to snap it up for 4 dollars.
    Geez, you're lucky! There aren't any used bookstores where I live!
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

    "What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

  20. #1680
    defunctzombie's Avatar
    defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dream Land
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest, we're lucky we have one. The same spot in the mall was at one point Waldenbooks, then Read Green Books before they went belly up. The only other place to get books is overpriced Barnes and Noble.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO