Page 83 of 165 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293133 ... LastLast
    defunctzombie is offline I have chortles!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I have a phone from 2005, so naturally I don't text people. It takes me a while to type things out, and since I respect grammar I have to hit the 1 button fifty million times per message. Some of the texts I see people send are the stupidest things, too.
    Stalemate Resolution Associate for Video Games and Cafe Toonzone
    tumblr/Nintendo ID: defunctzombie

chalmers is offline Role Model
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think texting is easier personally, and I prefer it to talking over the phone(I actually don't really like talking on the phone; something about it has always bothered me). I used to be one of those people who didn't understand it, but now it's the most common thing I do on my phone(aside from data usage from surfing the internet and what have you).

I do get your point about the texting your loved ones thing. I very rarely text my parents or other family, it just doesn't feel right to me.
    Animation Revelation All the cool kids are doing it, why aren't you?

"Oh shut up, you're wasting valuable smashing time!"- Sideshow Mel in "Bart After Dark"

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbybop View Post
    am i the only one who thinks simpsons is the worst show ever
    I've certainly never been a fan of it. Even in the early years, I never saw the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader View Post
    I don't understand texting. Back when everybody started doing it a decade ago, I thought it would just be a fad, because after all, IT'S A PHONE. If you can TALK TO PEOPLE WITH IT why would you settle for any less form of communication?
    I used to feel the same way, but when the new phone I upgraded to came with a slider keyboard, I began to text more and more. I can see the benefits of it. I often use it to chat with my brother and keep him busy when he's bored at work. He can't really be on a phone chatting while he's there, but we can text back and forth and he'll reply when he gets the time in between things.

I'm not a fan of constant texting, and it aggravates me to still see people texting and driving. And I find it really disrespectful when you're having a conversation with someone, and they get a text on their phone and actually reply while you're talking to them. When you can't wait for a conversation to end before you have to jump back on your QWERTY keyboard to text, I think you've got a problem.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Family Guy, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Slider keyboards aren't much better if you don't have petite hands and thin fingers. Plus, the response of the keys themselves are too different from a normal-sized keyboard to be comfortable to me.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

Wounded_Dragon is offline Beast in the Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader View Post
    I don't understand texting. Back when everybody started doing it a decade ago, I thought it would just be a fad, because after all, IT'S A PHONE. If you can TALK TO PEOPLE WITH IT why would you settle for any less form of communication?

What really got me was a recent news report about an airplane that took a midair nosedive, and they said the passengers "were all texting their loved ones." If you're hurtling towards death, and you have one last chance to tell your significant other how much they mean to you, you have two choices: your actual voice saying "I love you," or a screen that says "I <3 U GOTA DY NOW BY." To make this more absurd, it takes less time to dial a phone number.

I mostly agree with you but I think the number of telemarketers and other unsolicited phone calls over the years have trained people to ignore voice calls. In addition, texting removes everyone around you from the equation for the most part.
    Playing: DC Universe Online(PS3)
    Watching: *Netflix backlog*

At least 15 percent of the moviegoing audience experiences headache and eyestrain during 3-D movies. I'm one of them. And no, I don't need corrective eyewear.

Michael24 is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    Slider keyboards aren't much better if you don't have petite hands and thin fingers. Plus, the response of the keys themselves are too different from a normal-sized keyboard to be comfortable to me.
    I'm sure that varies from phone to phone. I tend to be a fast typer, so thankfully mine respond pretty good. I don't really have petite hands, either, but I think it just takes some getting used to. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't always reset to Caps after putting in a period, and sometimes I'll have to skip back a letter or two and hit the Shift button to turn on Caps temporarily in order to start my next sentence with a capital. That, and the fact I only get 160 characters per message. What, they couldn't have just stretched it to 200. Sometimes I just need that 161 or 162 space. LOL!!
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Family Guy, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Hanshotfirst1138 is offline Singing drunken lullabies
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I'm sure that varies from phone to phone. I tend to be a fast typer, so thankfully mine respond pretty good. I don't really have petite hands, either, but I think it just takes some getting used to. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't always reset to Caps after putting in a period, and sometimes I'll have to skip back a letter or two and hit the Shift button to turn on Caps temporarily in order to start my next sentence with a capital. That, and the fact I only get 160 characters per message. What, they couldn't have just stretched it to 200. Sometimes I just need that 161 or 162 space. LOL!!
    I have an awesome iPhone, buy my friend's phone evidently likewise only allows 160 characters, so it drives him crazy because my messages sometimes come to him as four or five messages (or, in one case where my copy and paste got crazy, 203 ). It'd drive me nuts. I'm sure glad I have my smartphone!
    Not it will most likely do any good, but I encourage any interested parties to sign this petition.
    "
    What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
    Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

suss2it is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanshotfirst113 View Post
    I have an awesome iPhone, buy my friend's phone evidently likewise only allows 160 characters, so it drives him crazy because my messages sometimes come to him as four or five messages (or, in one case where my copy and paste got crazy, 203 ). It'd drive me nuts. I'm sure glad I have my smartphone!
    iPhones only allow 160 characters per text as well.

SilentBat18 is offline Hmm, so, yeah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    theres a lot of benefits that go along with texting: doing it while at work, when you're surrounded by a lot of noise, when you want to say something that you dont want others to hear, to take to people who are hard of hearing, to talk to people abroad without paying crazy international fees... the list just goes on.

although the iphone keyboard took some getting used to, i dont have many problems with it (when the autocorrect is off that is ). i just hate the fact that i can't cancel a message from being sent after i hit send button accidentally.
    Ah, the new boy. Ears are too long, and I miss the cape, but not too shabby, not too shabby at all-- Joker, BB:ROTJ

BB: A New Beginning

OnePark is offline גורל
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I miss having a phone - testing was simple and easy. I'm not one to talk on the phone, personal reasons.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JustinianFlynn - Complicated name, I know but that means there's some good stuff, right?