Quantcast
Page 85 of 105 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast
    Aquadementia is online now That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I bought a microphone for my computer today (about the fifth or sixth time I've tried one), and am encountering the same problem I always have. The sound is far too low upon playback. I have it plugged into the right spot, I've looked through all the volume adjustment selectors and made sure it was not muted. I even found an adjustor called "Playback Volume" that was all the way down and raised it up. I record and speak into the microphone, but for some reason when I play it back it's just incredibly low. I have to turn my speakers way up to hear it, and that also increases the low hiss of the speakers. Even the wavelength in the recording program is barely visible. I've tried it through my main audio program, Sound Forge Audio Studio, and the generic Sound Recorder that was pre-installed. Any ideas?
    Center and normalize,
    I believe that is something I've done once long ago, so I'm not claiming to know what I'm talking about.
    Usually I just play with the graphic equalizer to listen to quiet recordings.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Check the audio driver for your computer as well. You may need to update and/or replace it.

Under your audio settings, if you have a setting called "Stereo mix" and it's enabled, try disabling it and seeing if that fixes the problem
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    Check the audio driver for your computer as well. You may need to update and/or replace it.
    What menu do I need to look under to check that?
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What menu do I need to look under to check that?
    What is your operating system? Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac, etc?

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have Windows 7.

I was looking around last night and also found this somebody posted on a forum:

I went via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices to get to the Sound panel.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Enhancements and made sure everything was un-checked.
    I then selected Playback > Speakers > Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

I went to Recording > Microphone > Listen and ensured 'Listen to this device' was unchecked.
    I went to Levels and ensured the Microphone level was at 100% and the Boost was at +10db
    I went into Enhancements and ensured everything was un-checked.
    I then into Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

And finally I went into the Communications tab of the Sound panel, and changed 'When windows detects communications activity' to 'Do nothing'
    I did all of those and it actually did seem to help a little bit, but the overall playback volume is still too low.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Criminal Minds, Elementary, Family Guy, The Flash, Gotham, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Stalker, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Aquadementia is online now That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have Windows 7.

I was looking around last night and also found this somebody posted on a forum:

I did all of those and it actually did seem to help a little bit, but the overall playback volume is still too low.
    Have you tried your mic while using Skype?
    It starts a process that sort of normalizes sound levels. I forget which process that is, but you might want to just give it a try.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got a doozy! I was putting a video on Youtube from my Macbook. There were 26 minutes left, and my Facebook was open in another window. I clicked a link in it, and the rainbow wheel of death came up. After twenty minutes, I hit the off button. When I turned it back on, the grey screen came on, but it did not log in. Instead it flashed a picture of a file with a question mark. Turning the computer off yielded the same result. I have never had a problem like this before. What is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like you may be experiencing disk failure issues.

Options:

Is the Mac relatively new (in the past 12 months)? Then you likely have OS X 10.7 (Lion) as your operating system. If this is the case, power on your computer and then hold down the Command and 'R' keys. You'll get a choice of where you want to boot from. Use the arrow keys to select Recovery HD. From there you can run the Disk Utility to see what's going on with your hard drive and repair it if needed.

If you're using OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you'll need the disc that came with your Macbook. It should be in a white paper sleeve that says "Everything Else" on the cover. The disc you'll want is labeled with something that will say "Mac OS X Install DVD." To get to the recovery options, insert the disc and hold down the 'C' key as you power on your computer. It may take a while, but it will boot to disc and then you'll be able to access the Disk Utility.

For both OSes, you can use this guide to see how to access and/or use the Disk Utility.

If things don't work out and you're still under warranty, head to an Apple Store, they're suited to help you there (even at this stage if you don't feel comfortable doing the diagnosis yourself). You'll need to schedule an appointment to visit them, so just make sure to do that if needed.

Spideyzilla is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    It sounds like you may be experiencing disk failure issues.

Options:

Is the Mac relatively new (in the past 12 months)? Then you likely have OS X 10.7 (Lion) as your operating system. If this is the case, power on your computer and then hold down the Command and 'R' keys. You'll get a choice of where you want to boot from. Use the arrow keys to select Recovery HD. From there you can run the Disk Utility to see what's going on with your hard drive and repair it if needed.

If you're using OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you'll need the disc that came with your Macbook. It should be in a white paper sleeve that says "Everything Else" on the cover. The disc you'll want is labeled with something that will say "Mac OS X Install DVD." To get to the recovery options, insert the disc and hold down the 'C' key as you power on your computer. It may take a while, but it will boot to disc and then you'll be able to access the Disk Utility.

For both OSes, you can use this guide to see how to access and/or use the Disk Utility.

If things don't work out and you're still under warranty, head to an Apple Store, they're suited to help you there (even at this stage if you don't feel comfortable doing the diagnosis yourself). You'll need to schedule an appointment to visit them, so just make sure to do that if needed.
    It is a Snow Leopard, but there is a problem. It is an old computer that I got second hand (I needed a Macbook for school, this was all I could afford) and had a new hard drive put in. I never got the startup disk (the old owner lost it), and it is not under warranty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spideyzilla View Post
    It is a Snow Leopard, but there is a problem. It is an old computer that I got second hand (I needed a Macbook for school, this was all I could afford) and had a new hard drive put in. I never got the startup disk (the old owner lost it), and it is not under warranty.
    Your options are a bit limited then.

What you can do:
    • Borrow a Snow Leopard disc from someone else. You don't need your specific type, just any Snow Leopard disc should work
    • Buy a copy of Snow Leopard. It's $29.99 from Apple.com
    • Take laptop to Apple Store. They may still look at it and provide help. A cost may or may not be associated with it though. They will let you know.